Currently Playing in 2020...

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2020...
by Rex Kramer » Wed May 13, 2020 2:05 pm

Parksey wrote:Basically Okami is its own sequel. The way the story roughly happens in thirds, it's effectively three games bolted together, and will last you about 80-90 hours in all likelihood. That's just the main sort of stuff too. It's one of the biggest, non-open world collecthon, games out there.

It's great, but you will need to be strict with yourself in order to finish it. I'd imagine it's an easy game to put down and wandering absentmindedly away from.

That's not good, I'm notoriously easily distracted by the next shiny thing that comes along. Right about now, I really want to finish it. But at only £9, I'll be happy whichever way it goes. My son has also started it and he's really enjoying at well, maybe that'll keep me motivated to finish it before him.

EDIT: And collecting pointless doodads is what I love in games the most. Having that bit in the menu that shows the % of types of animals fed is like crack to my gamer brain. What I really want is an indication of how many things are in each area so I can spend forever looking for the last one in each. Hoping that gets added at some point.

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2020...
by Drumstick » Wed May 13, 2020 2:08 pm

Balladeer wrote:Also please quote me in when you finish the game and come back to this post - there’s a comment you make that’s going to come back to haunt you.

Rex ain't afraid of no ghosts.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2020...
by OrangeRKN » Wed May 13, 2020 2:09 pm

I really liked Okami when I played it a while back on Switch but yes it is a slog and yes you have to be disciplined with yourself to see it through! It's the most exhausting game I've played where I've still been really enjoying it throughout, which is a little bit of an odd one.

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2020...
by Squinty » Sat May 16, 2020 10:02 am

I've beat Okami in 25-30 hours. I think it would likely be 80-90 hours if you did all the crap in it.

Started GTA5 and I think I already dislike this. I'll keep playing to see if it grabs me but at the moment, it feels strawberry floating clunky and I find the traversal annoying. Also failed a mission because I threw a punch in the car dealership. I don't even know what that was about.

Edit - Actually beat Okami in 23 hours.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2020...
by Rex Kramer » Sat May 16, 2020 10:43 am

Balladeer wrote:Also please quote me in when you finish the game and come back to this post - there’s a comment you make that’s going to come back to haunt you.

Haven't finished it yet but I wouldn't have guessed that the next thing introduced would be norks physics.

User avatar
Balladeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2020...
by Balladeer » Sat May 16, 2020 11:15 am

I think there actually is some of that. I didn't mind it so much because of the heavily stylised art, but it's still not the greatest.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2020...
by Rex Kramer » Sat May 16, 2020 12:29 pm

Issun virtually becomes a sex pest, it seems oddly out of place.

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2020...
by Squinty » Sat May 16, 2020 1:09 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:Issun virtually becomes a sex pest, it seems oddly out of place.


Yeah, he likes them bewbs.

User avatar
Seven
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2020...
by Seven » Sat May 16, 2020 5:28 pm

With Resident Evil HD remaster almost done all but Invisible Enemy playthrough, I've set up my PS3 few days ago and bought Resident Evil Classic trilogy (was intending to just get RE1 but £8 for just that vs £12 for all three swayed my decision)

I finished both Chris and Jill's normal playthrough, so I went ahead and started another playthrough as Chris this time on Advanced mode (Arranged mode in Japanese), it's cool to see different camera angles and item placement, as well def. More challenging... But enjoyable!

Twitter: SevenFisher
Nintendo ID: SevenFisher (Nickname: Seven)
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2020...
by Ironhide » Sat May 16, 2020 8:39 pm

Before we leave

Fairly simple city builder which despite not being graphically demanding seems to send my GPU (RTX2060) fan into overdrive.

Image
User avatar
Cumberdanes
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2020...
by Cumberdanes » Sat May 16, 2020 11:31 pm

Started Final Fantasy III last night on Stream. Made pretty decent progress. About ready to leave the starting area, enjoying it thus far.

Image

Image
User avatar
Meep
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2020...
by Meep » Sun May 17, 2020 11:39 am

Started playing Disco Elysium and love it! One of the rest RPGs in years. There's nothing else quite like it so I encourage everyone to give it a go and hopefully the developers put out more of the same in future. I would be heartbroken if I never got to play another game like this one.

User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2020...
by Knoyleo » Sun May 17, 2020 11:54 am

Dead Cells

The gameplay feels great. All the different weapon types feel really well balanced, the mix of items is nice, and overall the combat feels super satisfying.

But...

It's a bit repetitive, isn't it? Constantly having to replay the same areas, (just because they're procedurally shuffled about each time doesn't make it the same area,) every time you die really stints any feeling of progress. Unlocking stuff is fine, but if you're only unlocking it so there's a chance of it dropping at some later point in a level, rather than be able to keep it, it feels a bit pointless. I'm also pretty sure I'm supposed to have some kind of wall jump ability, but can't work out how to use/unlock it.

I think I came across a boss at one point, it had a screen filling health bar, but lost, and naturally started over again. It's out also totally at random hours you come across and fight bosses? Do you progress to a different state or set of levels once you beat the first boss?

User avatar
kazanova_Frankenstein
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2020...
by kazanova_Frankenstein » Sun May 17, 2020 12:02 pm

Meep wrote:Started playing Disco Elysium and love it! One of the rest RPGs in years. There's nothing else quite like it so I encourage everyone to give it a go and hopefully the developers put out more of the same in future. I would be heartbroken if I never got to play another game like this one.


I really can’t wait for this to come to console. It’s the first time I have felt left out for years (PCVR not withstanding).

Image
Image
User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2020...
by Lex-Man » Sun May 17, 2020 12:14 pm

kazanova_Frankenstein wrote:
Meep wrote:Started playing Disco Elysium and love it! One of the rest RPGs in years. There's nothing else quite like it so I encourage everyone to give it a go and hopefully the developers put out more of the same in future. I would be heartbroken if I never got to play another game like this one.


I really can’t wait for this to come to console. It’s the first time I have felt left out for years (PCVR not withstanding).


I played a bit of it but I hate the way I feel after I do. It really makes me feel like the main protagonist which makes it hard to play.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2020...
by Hime » Sun May 17, 2020 12:25 pm

Knoyleo wrote:Dead Cells

The gameplay feels great. All the different weapon types feel really well balanced, the mix of items is nice, and overall the combat feels super satisfying.

But...

It's a bit repetitive, isn't it? Constantly having to replay the same areas, (just because they're procedurally shuffled about each time doesn't make it the same area,) every time you die really stints any feeling of progress. Unlocking stuff is fine, but if you're only unlocking it so there's a chance of it dropping at some later point in a level, rather than be able to keep it, it feels a bit pointless. I'm also pretty sure I'm supposed to have some kind of wall jump ability, but can't work out how to use/unlock it.

I think I came across a boss at one point, it had a screen filling health bar, but lost, and naturally started over again. It's out also totally at random hours you come across and fight bosses? Do you progress to a different state or set of levels once you beat the first boss?

It's a tough one, I really enjoy playing it but normally just for one run which means I make very little progress. Despite the upgrades I don't feel like the character has actually improved in any meaningful way as I get to the third or fourth area and get wrecked in one or two hits. I'm getting close to just being done with it.

Image
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2020...
by Lotus » Sun May 17, 2020 8:35 pm

Knoyleo wrote:It's a bit repetitive, isn't it? Constantly having to replay the same areas, every time you die really stints any feeling of progress.

I don't play much of them, but isn't that pretty much the raison d'être of rogue-likes/rogue-lites? That's what puts me off them. It's also what put me off Dark Souls. I died, then had to replay loads of what I'd literally just done. Not my idea of fun.

Talking of re-doing what you've just done...

Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare
I never played this back when it released, but was wanting to play something open-world, so plucked for this. I like it (and had forgotten how good the game looks) but strawberry float me, it's annoying. Whenever I get off my horse (or even being on the horse, it doesn't seem to make much difference) anywhere that isn't a town, I get attacked - and almost inevitably killed - by a wild animal. I can't do a damn thing without some cougar, bear, or wild boar coming out of nowhere and just wiping me out. Even if you try and fight back, usually more than one appears, and you've got no chance.

All I'm trying to do is help an NPC, explore, or focus on the quest I'm doing, but no, the game won't give me any peace. It's happened so many times now - each time meaning I have to repeat what I've just done - that I'm close to giving up on the game. I remember this being a thing in the main game, but it was never this frequent or annoying. I can't imagine why anyone thought this was a good idea to include in the game, at least at this frequency. It's absolutely ridiculous.

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2020...
by Squinty » Sun May 17, 2020 8:45 pm

Knoyleo wrote:Dead Cells

The gameplay feels great. All the different weapon types feel really well balanced, the mix of items is nice, and overall the combat feels super satisfying.

But...

It's a bit repetitive, isn't it? Constantly having to replay the same areas, (just because they're procedurally shuffled about each time doesn't make it the same area,) every time you die really stints any feeling of progress. Unlocking stuff is fine, but if you're only unlocking it so there's a chance of it dropping at some later point in a level, rather than be able to keep it, it feels a bit pointless. I'm also pretty sure I'm supposed to have some kind of wall jump ability, but can't work out how to use/unlock it.

I think I came across a boss at one point, it had a screen filling health bar, but lost, and naturally started over again. It's out also totally at random hours you come across and fight bosses? Do you progress to a different state or set of levels once you beat the first boss?


There's different routes you can take, the game is full of branching paths to different areas. From what I remember, on the first level, there are two routes you can take, three if you have the most recent DLC. It's one of those games where it gives you more chances to succeed with the more time you put into it (the cells unlock helpful permanent upgrades).

You get permanent ability unlocks from exploring, this includes a wall jump. I can't remember where you find that one though.

User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2020...
by Knoyleo » Sun May 17, 2020 9:45 pm

Lotus wrote:
Knoyleo wrote:It's a bit repetitive, isn't it? Constantly having to replay the same areas, every time you die really stints any feeling of progress.

I don't play much of them, but isn't that pretty much the raison d'être of rogue-likes/rogue-lites? That's what puts me off them. It's also what put me off Dark Souls. I died, then had to replay loads of what I'd literally just done. Not my idea of fun.

I don't play much from this genre either, but decided to pick up based on it having pretty much rave reviews across the board. I totally see why as well, but maybe it is just the genre I don't get on with. The last game I played like this was Hollow Knight, and although that at least has a persistent world, I still got bored with it and stopped playing, although the combat in Dead Cells is way more entertaining than HK's was.

Squinty wrote:There's different routes you can take, the game is full of branching paths to different areas. From what I remember, on the first level, there are two routes you can take, three if you have the most recent DLC. It's one of those games where it gives you more chances to succeed with the more time you put into it (the cells unlock helpful permanent upgrades).

You get permanent ability unlocks from exploring, this includes a wall jump. I can't remember where you find that one though.

I get that there's different routes, but either way, you play through the same levels in the same order over and over again by the looks of it. Maybe it changes up when you beat the boss, but he seemed hard as nails and I've only managed to reach that stage once so far, so so knows how long it's going to take for me to actually beat it.

I've not seen much in the way of permanent upgrades so far. All the health and damage buffs are temporary, and most of what I can see as persistent upgrades are things that let you carry over money, or randomise your starting weapons, nothing to actually make yourself more powerful.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2020...
by OrangeRKN » Sun May 17, 2020 9:58 pm

kazanova_Frankenstein wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:
kazanova_Frankenstein wrote:
Ironhide wrote:Lonely Mountain: Downhill

For what is marketed as a relaxing game it is infuriatingly difficult at times, mostly due to the occasionally erratic controls and horribly 'floaty' physics which sometimes render the bike impossible to steer.

When it works however its brilliantly satisfying to find sneaky shortcuts or finish a tricky section without crashing.


It's and odd combination isn't it? That first "explore" route is lovely and relaxing, then you stack some challenges that conflict with one another (essentially fast and not crashing much) and it becomes a totally different beast.

I must say i really like the game though, its got a lovely tone to it. Feels really like it is just a person and their bike and a mountain. Nothing else matters.


I'm a huge Steep fan for the appeal of just making my way down a mountain, do you think I'd like this too? It sounds similar from this and I hadn't heard of it before!


I have not played Steep, but it’s certainly “you vs the mountain” with few distractions. It’s on Game Pass you have access to the ecosystem. It really is lovely and zen.

As for the difficulty, I have found the easy and the normal challenges find to deal with relatively simply - I bail if I am slow on a sector or find a quicker route whilst on a run, it only sets you back to the last checkpoint. Obviously it will be different for everyone though, and appreciate my situation is different to yours. I’m certainly not optimising my runs, just going with my sectors if they feel reasonable.


I got this on Switch today and I'm loving it - it's really really up my street. It's really chill despite the quite punishing challenges (the instant restart really helps) and when you get a good run it's super satisfying. I especially like the free runs with no checkpoints for how unbroken they end up being - it all just flows.

Think I might have to start listening to some of my own music though, it's definitely missing even if I do appreciate the quiet atmosphere!

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern

Return to “Games”