Cycling

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cycling
by Victor Mildew » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:17 am

gooseberry fool, hope you're ok.

I hate cycling at this time of year, can't see gooseberry fool, no matter how much hi vis stuff you wear, no matter how many lights you have, people STILL don't pay attention to you, as illustrated above.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cycling
by Victor Mildew » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:33 am

Properly fell off on sheet ice this morning in the road :dread: Luckily it was a dead end road so no traffic, but a car came along and put it's hazards on to stop anyone coming through and running me over. strawberry floating great sheet of black ice on a totally flat bit. Splat on to my side (I've whacked my hip) and I slide along the floor while the bike went about 10ft further down. To cap it off, shortly after the brakes seized up (the cables all popped out and are strawberry floated) so I had to push my bike with the rear wheel jammed for the last half of the journey :simper:

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Blue Eyes
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Cycling
by Blue Eyes » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:07 am

Victor Mildew wrote:Properly fell off on sheet ice this morning in the road :dread: Luckily it was a dead end road so no traffic, but a car came along and put it's hazards on to stop anyone coming through and running me over. strawberry floating great sheet of black ice on a totally flat bit. Splat on to my side (I've whacked my hip) and I slide along the floor while the bike went about 10ft further down. To cap it off, shortly after the brakes seized up (the cables all popped out and are strawberry floated) so I had to push my bike with the rear wheel jammed for the last half of the journey :simper:

And that's why I don't cycle in anything other than pleasant weather.

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cycling
by Victor Mildew » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:27 am

I almost got run over crossing the road near the end too, but that was my fault for going in front of a car waiting at a junction.

I'm doing it primarily for fitness reasons, but it's too easy to hurt yourself.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Cycling
by Dual » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:29 am

Victor Mildew wrote:Properly fell off on sheet ice this morning in the road :dread: Luckily it was a dead end road so no traffic, but a car came along and put it's hazards on to stop anyone coming through and running me over. strawberry floating great sheet of black ice on a totally flat bit. Splat on to my side (I've whacked my hip) and I slide along the floor while the bike went about 10ft further down. To cap it off, shortly after the brakes seized up (the cables all popped out and are strawberry floated) so I had to push my bike with the rear wheel jammed for the last half of the journey :simper:


Did you manage to finish the delivery?

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cycling
by Victor Mildew » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:05 am

I did thank you.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
abcd
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
AKA: abcd

PostRe: Cycling
by abcd » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:15 am

It's the worse pain ever hitting ice on your hips.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Cycling
by Jenuall » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:00 pm

The feeling of the bike going out from under you is just horrible.

Despite stuff like the weather strawberry floating you over, people not giving you enough space, having to get various layers of gear on in the winter, needing to do various ongoing maintenance, getting hit by cars etc. I still really miss cycling to work.

Last edited by Jenuall on Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cycling
by Victor Mildew » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:47 pm

Bloody hell my hip hurts. No bruising at all yet, so hopefully it's not fractured.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cycling
by Victor Mildew » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:05 pm

Looking out the window, It's just hit me that the decent cycling to and from work weather is here. Normally this would be a lovely shorts and t-shirt (possibly with a fish on) with sunglasses ride kind of day. But by the time it's realistic to be not only going to work, but to do it by bike, it'll be strawberry floating shitty cold and in the dark again :x

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
darksideby182
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Cove grove

PostRe: Cycling
by darksideby182 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:18 pm

I've been to some nice rides while being furloughed it's about the only thing that is keeping me from not going mad.

Wii U : punkeator
Xbox live : darksideby182
Psn : darksideby182
steam : Punkeator
Origin : Punkeator
Switch : 6739-1557-7191
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cycling
by Victor Mildew » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:33 pm

It'd be nice to do here, but as nice and picturesque as the local rides are, they're also extremely narrow and full of dog walkers.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
darksideby182
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Cove grove

PostRe: Cycling
by darksideby182 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:01 pm

Victor Mildew wrote:It'd be nice to do here, but as nice and picturesque as the local rides are, they're also extremely narrow and full of dog walkers.

I'm pretty lucky with a huge amount of army land near where I live so you can get away from people easily. Although public access is up for review at the moment I just hope they don't change that to much.

Wii U : punkeator
Xbox live : darksideby182
Psn : darksideby182
steam : Punkeator
Origin : Punkeator
Switch : 6739-1557-7191
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: Cycling
by Grumpy David » Tue May 19, 2020 6:37 pm

After years of my bicycle being unused, I've finally started using it again.

Cycling in London has been a better experience than I expected although no doubt the reduced traffic largely explains that. I've only done about 25 miles of cycling in the last 5 days around roads I'm very familiar with to gradually build up the confidence (and endurance) for longer journeys including potentially cycling to work but at 9 miles each way and the "Cycle Super Highway" being a strip of road painted blue rather than barriers protecting me from motor vehicles I'm still not entirely convinced. Plus in my case the public transport option is faster and much safer although as I'm reliant on the Northern line probably equally as sweaty!

Also after a longer cycle and/or roads that aren't smooth, the saddle causes a fair bit of pain on the Gooch area. :dread:

User avatar
Red
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Pons Aelius

PostRe: Cycling
by Red » Wed May 20, 2020 9:41 am

My commute used to be about that length and it was wonderful - just the right distance to give you a good blast of exercise and wake-up fresh air but not far enough to be that tiring. I miss it a lot. It was quicker than the bus for me because that ended up stuck in traffic on the A34 every day.

Your arse will get used to it. Always good to build exercise into the day I found because making a dedicated trip out just to exercise is always harder. Money saving too.

Coconut Bob wrote:You come across as feminine as a cave troll so its no wonder you have little concept of the way females should behave.

Instagram: @amygmatic
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: Cycling
by Grumpy David » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:06 am

Red wrote:My commute used to be about that length and it was wonderful - just the right distance to give you a good blast of exercise and wake-up fresh air but not far enough to be that tiring. I miss it a lot. It was quicker than the bus for me because that ended up stuck in traffic on the A34 every day.

Your arse will get used to it. Always good to build exercise into the day I found because making a dedicated trip out just to exercise is always harder. Money saving too.


The hairy fat arse of mine did not get used to the tiny bike saddle seat! I couldn't bear the discomfort of walking like John Wayne anymore so had to get a gel seat cover that envelops over the saddle. Vastly more comfortable and no Gooch pain when going over bumpy terrain.

Whilst my own confidence of cycling in London is pretty good for how little I've done, I learnt tonight that a friend's girlfriend ended up in a terrible accident with a car knocking her off her bike at some speed. 11 broken ribs, collapsed lung, teeth knocked out. Thankfully no brain damage but it's utterly terrifying just thinking about that level of injury.

The reduced road traffic seems to make some idiots think speeding is fine just because they have the ability to do so rather than struggling to get out of 1st or 2nd gear.

I doubt I'll be in the office anytime soon but unless cycling in London is safer than it currently is I'll probably just endure the misery of the Northern line.

User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Cycling
by KjGarly » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:06 am

I swear my bike is the bike equivalent to Stephen Kings Christine. Week of annual leave booked off for this week so on my way home from work on Thursday I'm doing my usual route through Stanley Park and it being an alright day weather-wise it was quite busy. Woman watches me come along the path only to step in front of me at the last possible second, swerve and pressed as hard as I could on the front brake and spent the night in A&E waiting for an X Ray on my left arm/wrist. Luckily no break just tendon damage (Hand went a lovely shade of blue and couldn't move any part of it - Worried it was a break)

I would have happily (In pain of course) got on my bike and rode the rest of the way home if the woman had apologised but instead said I shouldn't even be riding through the park but on a road :slol: yeah every screaming sentence that came out of my mouth from that point ended in "banana split"

I.e. "There are ickle pictures of bicycles painted on the strawberry floating pathway you thick banana split"

Went in work Saturday rather than a sick day so it wouldn't mess with my weeks annual leave, 1 handed riding in the rain FTW 8-)

I think I need to invest in a little camera or something to go on the front of my bike:x

Image
Image
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: Cycling
by Grumpy David » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:03 pm

Not sure how familiar people are with SW London roads but there are some older "Cycle Superhighways" (CS7) which were just small bits of road painted blue which isn't particularly useful for making new cyclists feel safe. The word super was most certainly undeserved. The more recent ones are drastically safer and more pleasant to use.

Over the last few weeks CS7 has been massively upgraded to have either fully segregated sections with lengthy islands preventing vehicles coming too close or "wands" to act as barriers too. Combined with many parking spaces removed too and solid white lines where not practical to have better designed cycle paths and it makes it feel dramatically safer cycling along roads which would normally be very busy and often with drivers not paying enough attention.

Ideally cycling should feel so safe that people don't feel the need for helmets (like in Amsterdam) so hopefully more roads get the upgrade treatment!

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Cycling
by That's not a growth » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:53 pm

There's an interactive questionnaire/map run by the council in my area, in the hope to improving for cyclists and being part of this big greater Manchester cycle highway thing they're planning. Hopefully some good will come of it, but some of the roads are so busy during commuter times there's no way they'll be able to add cycle lanes so I'm not going to get my hopes too high.

User avatar
darksideby182
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Cove grove

PostRe: Cycling
by darksideby182 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:56 pm

Grumpy David wrote:Not sure how familiar people are with SW London roads but there are some older "Cycle Superhighways" (CS7) which were just small bits of road painted blue which isn't particularly useful for making new cyclists feel safe. The word super was most certainly undeserved. The more recent ones are drastically safer and more pleasant to use.

Over the last few weeks CS7 has been massively upgraded to have either fully segregated sections with lengthy islands preventing vehicles coming too close or "wands" to act as barriers too. Combined with many parking spaces removed too and solid white lines where not practical to have better designed cycle paths and it makes it feel dramatically safer cycling along roads which would normally be very busy and often with drivers not paying enough attention.

Ideally cycling should feel so safe that people don't feel the need for helmets (like in Amsterdam) so hopefully more roads get the upgrade treatment!

Should always wear a helmet.

Wii U : punkeator
Xbox live : darksideby182
Psn : darksideby182
steam : Punkeator
Origin : Punkeator
Switch : 6739-1557-7191

Return to “Stuff”