Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by Dual » Sun May 05, 2019 9:14 pm

Doesn't sound like much of a friend.

User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Sun May 05, 2019 9:18 pm

Dual wrote:Doesn't sound like much of a friend.

Seems like it! As he also mentioned to me how some of his other mates have or are visiting too and how they have plans to hang out and go places.
Just when you realise your friend isn't as good as a mate as you thought...o well

Gemini73

PostRe: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by Gemini73 » Sun May 05, 2019 10:46 pm

No he doesn't sound like much of a friend. Sounds a bit of a twat to be honest. If you're travelling then make some new friends.

User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by Dowbocop » Mon May 06, 2019 12:30 am

No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:I think I might be a boring friend. I'm currently half way around and world so I hit up a friend to hang out with.
But his reaction to me was like "I'm surprised you decided to come here?" "What did you family say to you travelling all the way here?"
My answer was that this is only a small part of my holiday as I've been travelling to other cities too.

In my head I feel a bit sad tbh that a friend wasn't more excited to see me and instead asked me those kind of questions. Maybe I'm boring and I don't blame my friend.

Think I'm gonna ask him if that is the case so next time I won't bother calling by.

Devil's advocate: if you have been pretty straight-laced before (not the best phrase as travelling isn't exactly unusual, but I hope you know what I mean) and you suddenly decided to go travelling they aren't unusual questions to ask. I'd you find out that your friend maybe doesn't align with your worldview anymore then you'll just grow apart, you don't need to confront him.

If you're doing what you want to do with your life and getting the experiences you want to get then strawberry float anyone who thinks you're boring.

User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by Fade » Tue May 07, 2019 7:17 pm

I work in an all female workplace and it's so incredibly hard to make friends.

I'm going through a break up at the moment and it's hitting me a lot harder because I literally have no one outside of my family who I can see.

I really don't know what to do.

EDIT: Maybe I should try this https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/ ... ly_police/

Image
User avatar
Outrunner
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by Outrunner » Sun May 12, 2019 8:48 am

I had my interview, maths and English tests for university yesterday. Initially I thought it went well but because because of my anxiety, low self-esteem and my ability to turn everything into a catastrophe I'm picking apart the whole thing. My current thought patterns:

"What were you thinking? Why would they want you after that performance"
"If you're this stressed with one day how do you think you'll cope with a full degree"
"Even if you do get in think of the cost, you'll have no more holidays, no money in your pension pot for 4 years"
"You do realise this will only cause you more problems down the line? No money, no friends, no job"
"You're not smart enough to do this, why not take the easy route and stay where you are?"

It's all self indulgent self-loathing and I hate that my mind does this

User avatar
Floex
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by Floex » Sun May 12, 2019 5:25 pm

Fade wrote:I work in an all female workplace and it's so incredibly hard to make friends.


How come? Because they’re female? Just talk to them like you would anyone else. You’re in a unique position in that you standout alittle bit more. Take it a day at a time, challenge yourself to having one conversation a day with someone new there. Don’t put pressure on yourself, you might discover people have the some of the same interests :)

User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by Fade » Mon May 13, 2019 7:33 am

Floex wrote:
Fade wrote:I work in an all female workplace and it's so incredibly hard to make friends.


How come? Because they’re female? Just talk to them like you would anyone else. You’re in a unique position in that you standout alittle bit more. Take it a day at a time, challenge yourself to having one conversation a day with someone new there. Don’t put pressure on yourself, you might discover people have the some of the same interests :)

Dude I talk to them quite a bit. They're just all 20 year olds who like to go out and get drunk, gossip and get their nails done.

Also I've been working there 2 years.

Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by Green Gecko » Mon May 13, 2019 11:36 am

It seems like you're coming up with reasons for why they can't be your friend or possibly like you. Is there anywhere else you can try to make friends? Can you make that somewhere else or look for it?

Try not to judge people you don't know.

Outrunner wrote:I had my interview, maths and English tests for university yesterday. Initially I thought it went well but because because of my anxiety, low self-esteem and my ability to turn everything into a catastrophe I'm picking apart the whole thing. My current thought patterns:

"What were you thinking? Why would they want you after that performance"
"If you're this stressed with one day how do you think you'll cope with a full degree"
"Even if you do get in think of the cost, you'll have no more holidays, no money in your pension pot for 4 years"
"You do realise this will only cause you more problems down the line? No money, no friends, no job"
"You're not smart enough to do this, why not take the easy route and stay where you are?"

It's all self indulgent self-loathing and I hate that my mind does this

Don't worry, the standard for that sort of thing are pretty low. It really is just to cut out the very bottom who won't be able to do work because they lack the basic skills to write or do arithmetic, which is a waste of time and they need to go to evening classes or something. I really doubt you are that behind the curve based only on your ability to introspect. That makes you naturally improve yourself anyway and study harder than average.

People tend to think university is this ridiculously intense thing. Maybe it is in the final year when gooseberry fool matters the most, but that sounds more like a doctorate.

If you show up and write your papers/coursework, you can take a day or two off here or there without much hassle. There will be plenty of days where there aren't any lectures or seminars at all.

You already have employment experience, whereas most graduates do not. That puts you ahead of the vast majority of graduates, so you will benefit from both aspects of increased employability. What a degree does is help you to target more specialised roles that may be of interest to you, but it doesn't give you general work experience. You won't necessarily have that problem.

You would struggle NOT to at least have the opportunity to relatively easily make friends at university.

You do get times at university when the campus is half shut, mostly during Christmas and summer. There are reading weeks where you are expected to read but really this is just another word for half term (in between semesters).

As for pension, I have about £50 in mine. Having a pension at all before starting university puts you in a stronger position financially than the vast majority of students.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Sandy
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Akuma / Dormin
Location: Surrey, darling

PostRe: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by Sandy » Mon May 13, 2019 1:15 pm

Fade wrote:Dude I talk to them quite a bit. They're just all 20 year olds who like to go out and get drunk, gossip and get their nails done.

Also I've been working there 2 years.


Have you given any of them a chance, Benjamin?

Or jumped to a conclusion about that they're like based on a, probably very shallow, exterior that they allow out into the open?

User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by Green Gecko » Mon May 13, 2019 1:22 pm

My girlfriend likes to do her nails sometimes, and drink with her friends. There's always a bit of gossip around as she works at a college but mostly about kids doing dumb stuff and interdepartmental politics. It offloads stress and nails are a confidence and time for me thing mostly.

But that is only in the past couple of months since she got a new job and can go out more with more income.

I would never make an impression based on that when we met years ago. You never know people from how they are just about the office, everyone's pretending to be normal and a good employee or whatever. They have to fit in.

As you probably know, if you don't fit in you wind up getting fired or miserable or both. An office is the last place in the world I'd expect to get to know anyone.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Outrunner
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by Outrunner » Tue May 14, 2019 9:42 pm

Green Gecko wrote:It seems like you're coming up with reasons for why they can't be your friend or possibly like you. Is there anywhere else you can try to make friends? Can you make that somewhere else or look for it?

Try not to judge people you don't know.

Outrunner wrote:I had my interview, maths and English tests for university yesterday. Initially I thought it went well but because because of my anxiety, low self-esteem and my ability to turn everything into a catastrophe I'm picking apart the whole thing. My current thought patterns:

"What were you thinking? Why would they want you after that performance"
"If you're this stressed with one day how do you think you'll cope with a full degree"
"Even if you do get in think of the cost, you'll have no more holidays, no money in your pension pot for 4 years"
"You do realise this will only cause you more problems down the line? No money, no friends, no job"
"You're not smart enough to do this, why not take the easy route and stay where you are?"

It's all self indulgent self-loathing and I hate that my mind does this

Don't worry, the standard for that sort of thing are pretty low. It really is just to cut out the very bottom who won't be able to do work because they lack the basic skills to write or do arithmetic, which is a waste of time and they need to go to evening classes or something. I really doubt you are that behind the curve based only on your ability to introspect. That makes you naturally improve yourself anyway and study harder than average.

People tend to think university is this ridiculously intense thing. Maybe it is in the final year when gooseberry fool matters the most, but that sounds more like a doctorate.

If you show up and write your papers/coursework, you can take a day or two off here or there without much hassle. There will be plenty of days where there aren't any lectures or seminars at all.

You already have employment experience, whereas most graduates do not. That puts you ahead of the vast majority of graduates, so you will benefit from both aspects of increased employability. What a degree does is help you to target more specialised roles that may be of interest to you, but it doesn't give you general work experience. You won't necessarily have that problem.

You would struggle NOT to at least have the opportunity to relatively easily make friends at university.

You do get times at university when the campus is half shut, mostly during Christmas and summer. There are reading weeks where you are expected to read but really this is just another word for half term (in between semesters).

As for pension, I have about £50 in mine. Having a pension at all before starting university puts you in a stronger position financially than the vast majority of students.


Thank for helping put all this into perspective, I think I know all this stuff but hearing it from a third party actually drives it home for me.

I meant to drop by yesterday but I was busy celebrating as I have been offered a place! So I was worrying for nothing. But thanks for listening/reading, having this thread to come to can be a lifesaver :)

User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by Green Gecko » Tue May 14, 2019 10:10 pm

That's awesome dude, well done for sticking at the whole UCAS thing (assuming you still go through that even if it's after college). It's so terribly easy to see an opportunity and veer off in another direction because of worrying about failure or rejection but the truth is even if at first we don't succeed it helps us clarify our goals or what we need to do next. Glad it worked out for you. If you have any questions about academic stuff look at the university thread, sure it's mostly the few doctorates on here still posting but they have all been through it and I will check in as well. I went through some serious ups and downs at uni especially around my mental health so I know what it's like on those stormy seas of self discovery and determination!

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by Fade » Wed May 15, 2019 8:29 pm

Sandy wrote:
Fade wrote:Dude I talk to them quite a bit. They're just all 20 year olds who like to go out and get drunk, gossip and get their nails done.

Also I've been working there 2 years.


Have you given any of them a chance, Benjamin?

Or jumped to a conclusion about that they're like based on a, probably very shallow, exterior that they allow out into the open?

Benjamin :lol:

I've 'given them a chance' and I talk quite a lot to people at work. We just don't have a lot in common, that's just the way it is, we talk about the job and what we did at the weekend and that's about it. you can't force people to be friends with you.

I've worked there for two years. I haven't jumped to conclusions about anything.

Image
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by Rocsteady » Wed May 15, 2019 11:27 pm

Fade wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Fade wrote:Dude I talk to them quite a bit. They're just all 20 year olds who like to go out and get drunk, gossip and get their nails done.

Also I've been working there 2 years.


Have you given any of them a chance, Benjamin?

Or jumped to a conclusion about that they're like based on a, probably very shallow, exterior that they allow out into the open?

Benjamin :lol:

I've 'given them a chance' and I talk quite a lot to people at work. We just don't have a lot in common, that's just the way it is, we talk about the job and what we did at the weekend and that's about it. you can't force people to be friends with you.

I've worked there for two years. I haven't jumped to conclusions about anything.

Where do you live? If it’s a big city there’ll be a bunch of meet up groups you could head to meet folk.

Image
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by Return_of_the_STAR » Fri May 17, 2019 6:19 am

Has anyone had any issues with side effects from an antidepressant? I’m on Escitalopram, went on 5mg for 3 weeks then moved up to 10mg just over a week ago. I felt the side effects were subsiding before going up a dosage but since being on the 10mg I’ve had pretty bad light headedness, dizziness, occasional hot sweats etc. Just wondering how long to put up with it all before looking at changing them. Been on them in total for about 4 and a half weeks.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Sandy
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Akuma / Dormin
Location: Surrey, darling

PostRe: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by Sandy » Fri May 17, 2019 10:35 am

Rocsteady wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR wrote:Has anyone had any issues with side effects from an antidepressant? I’m on Escitalopram, went on 5mg for 3 weeks then moved up to 10mg just over a week ago. I felt the side effects were subsiding before going up a dosage but since being on the 10mg I’ve had pretty bad light headedness, dizziness, occasional hot sweats etc. Just wondering how long to put up with it all before looking at changing them. Been on them in total for about 4 and a half weeks.


Speak to your doctor but 4 weeks isn't uncommon in my experience.

Last edited by Sandy on Tue May 21, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by Rocsteady » Tue May 21, 2019 10:10 am

Somewhat struggling just now. Not sleeping great, getting a lot of liver pain and separated from a lass who I got too infatuated with. Got some work/travel/exam pressures on the go too. Can feel occasional suicidal thoughts creeping back in, hopefully just temporarily.

Got a shift in my circumstances from Sunday which I’m hoping might help (could also make it worse) so I’m just trying to get through this week and see how I go. Not feeling great.

Image
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by Fade » Tue May 21, 2019 11:42 am

Sandy wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:
Fade wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Fade wrote:Dude I talk to them quite a bit. They're just all 20 year olds who like to go out and get drunk, gossip and get their nails done.

Also I've been working there 2 years.


Have you given any of them a chance, Benjamin?

Or jumped to a conclusion about that they're like based on a, probably very shallow, exterior that they allow out into the open?

Benjamin :lol:

I've 'given them a chance' and I talk quite a lot to people at work. We just don't have a lot in common, that's just the way it is, we talk about the job and what we did at the weekend and that's about it. you can't force people to be friends with you.

I've worked there for two years. I haven't jumped to conclusions about anything.

Where do you live? If it’s a big city there’ll be a bunch of meet up groups you could head to meet folk.


The kids on the street call him Basingstoke Benji on account of him being from Basingstoke.

I own the Fadecy book of facts, which is where I get this creepy level of knowledge from. One day he'll point something I say out as being wrong and I'll be found out as just being a lucky guesser.

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:Has anyone had any issues with side effects from an antidepressant? I’m on Escitalopram, went on 5mg for 3 weeks then moved up to 10mg just over a week ago. I felt the side effects were subsiding before going up a dosage but since being on the 10mg I’ve had pretty bad light headedness, dizziness, occasional hot sweats etc. Just wondering how long to put up with it all before looking at changing them. Been on them in total for about 4 and a half weeks.


Speak to your doctor but 4 weeks isn't uncommon in my experience.

I don't know why exactly you keep posting personal information. I could understand it a little more from someone I coverse with more often but it's honestly a little weird coming from you.

Especially on a thread where people are meant to be able to post their insecurities in a safe space.

And there you are making someone uncomfortable.

Image
User avatar
Sandy
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Akuma / Dormin
Location: Surrey, darling

PostRe: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by Sandy » Tue May 21, 2019 9:33 pm

Fade wrote:I don't know why exactly you keep posting personal information. I could understand it a little more from someone I coverse with more often but it's honestly a little weird coming from you.

Especially on a thread where people are meant to be able to post their insecurities in a safe space.

And there you are making someone uncomfortable.


It's just stuff I remember you saying from 10 years ago. I did think about this afterwards that it was pretty inappropriate for me to restate it on here if you haven't previously shared it on here.

I've edit it out of the post. Apologies.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BraithGwirod, Return_of_the_STAR, Rightey, Snowcannon and 60 guests