Destiny 2 - Forsaken out now! (base game free on PS+)

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Destiny 2 - Forsaken out now! (base game free on PS+)
by Mafro » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:11 pm

Bungie losing access to two Activision studios (Vicarious Visions and High Moon Studios) that did a huge amount of good work on Destiny 2 is definitely not a good thing. They were specifically put on Destiny 2 by Activision to help with development because Bungie were making a mess of things (again). They've strawberry floated up massively twice with two games now and that could easily happen again, especially with the way things have gone with the game recently and them not even hiding the fact they're basically just chasing the streamer audience now with the three contend drops in the annual pass.

And I'm sure I remember reading in a Jason Schreier article that it was Bungie's decision, not Activision's, to introduce microtransactions in Destiny 1 because it was easier to generate money that way rather than releasing more expansions. No reason to not believe that when he's been bang on about every single Destiny rumour.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: Destiny 2 - Forsaken out now! (base game free on PS+)
by captain red dog » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:14 pm

strawberry float Destiny 3. I think the franchise is too badly soiled. Bungie should drop it and come up with something less generic.

User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Destiny 2 - Forsaken out now! (base game free on PS+)
by Parksey » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:08 pm

I massively disagreed with that. It's not a soiled franchise, despite Bungie messing up.more than a few times along the way.

Forsaken was the best Destiny has ever been and massively enthused the fanbase again. And the original Destiny had the same peaks and troughs. These games are always being added to and changed, so like any MMO, there are always high points and low points. What Bungie need to do is not start from a low point again with D3, and build on what has worked with the other two games rather than make big changes to things that don't need it.

I disagree with it being generic too. Have you actually played it or do you just see it as another space shooter? As it has quite a bit of world-wide get and lore behind it (if you like that sort of thing)and if you don't, gameplay is still top class and it's fun when you feel like a souped up space ninja. It's structure is also fairly unique for a FPS on consoles, only really similar to Warframe and the upcoming Anthem.

If you've ever done a Raid with a team of friends, then you wouldn't say they were generic.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Destiny 2 - Forsaken out now! (base game free on PS+)
by Tafdolphin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:20 am

Mafro wrote:And I'm sure I remember reading in a Jason Schreier article that it was Bungie's decision, not Activision's, to introduce microtransactions in Destiny 1 because it was easier to generate money that way rather than releasing more expansions. No reason to not believe that when he's been bang on about every single Destiny rumour.


It was Luke Smith's decision yes, but no choices are made in a vacuum. We don't know what metrics he was attempting to hit while making such decisions, nor what the terms were of the agreement with Activision. It's naive to see Bungie as nothing but a plucky underdog making games purely for fun, but I think everyone can agree that Activision are the worst of the two when it comes to shady money making.

If Schreier himself is excited, I think fans of the game ought to be also.

captain red dog wrote:strawberry float Destiny 3. I think the franchise is too badly soiled. Bungie should drop it and come up with something less generic.


And yeah, this is absolute nonsense. I had no loyalty or history with the series until a few months back and went in during the base-game giveaway expecting to play the campaign and leave. I've since played almost 200 hours based off nothing but how enjoyable it is in its current state. Yes Bungie strawberry floated up the launch, yes the first two expansions were disappointments, but Forsaken essentially WAS Destiny 3 and became one of my favourite games of the past few years.

Also, please redefine your definition of 'generic.'

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Destiny 2 - Forsaken out now! (base game free on PS+)
by Parksey » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 am

There's nothing generic about a Destiny raid - they are basically out there on their own in terms of mechanics and cooperation in a FPS game.

Even the game structure hasn't really been implemented yet in other FPS games.

Many things could be levelled at Destiny, and there have been many flaws across its five-year life span but being generic isn't one of them.

And as previously said, the franchise isn't soiled either. Destiny 2 has has real low points, but Forsaken arguably left it at an all-time high. They need to capitalise on that, not throw the entire franchise out.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Destiny 2 - Forsaken out now! (base game free on PS+)
by Tafdolphin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:59 am

I mean, EA have staked a large part of their financial security on a game that is, by and large, a copy of Destiny's structure.

But yeah. Generic.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on

Return to “Games”