Disney+ streaming service announced - coming Nov 19 (US confirmed) | Disney | Fox | Pixar | Marvel | Star Wars | NatGeo

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Which streaming services do you currently/plan to subscribe to?

Disney+
14
14%
Netflix
37
38%
Amazon Prime
27
28%
Now TV
10
10%
Apple TV+
4
4%
YouTube TV
2
2%
ITV Hub+
1
1%
Britbox (BBC/ITV)
1
1%
Other
1
1%
 
Total votes: 97
NickSCFC

PostRe: Disney+ streaming service announced - coming Nov 19 (US confirmed) | Disney | Fox | Pixar | Marvel | Star Wars | Nat
by NickSCFC » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:57 am

You have to wonder what detrimental effect all this abundance of US TV will have on British TV .

Between 1950 and 1990 (the launch of Sky), there wasn't really much choice outside of British TV. You'd get the odd American movie which was a big highlight, but that was it. Corra and Eastenders could easily pull 20m viewers twice a week, now these are down to more like 5m (nothing of value was lost).

We're making some great stuff like Line of Duty and Bodyguard, but imagine a future where instead of these being upfront and centre on Freeview to them being buried away under a glut of US TV shows on an app menu.

The budget to create British TV shows is plummeting along with viewing figures, meanwhile these giant American companies like Amazon and Netflix are investing billions, The Crown costs the entire annual BBC budget alone. Amazon's Lord of the Rings series is being touted as the most expensive TV show every produced.

As for the glory days of British TV, here's some random picks from the days before Sky, home video and streaming...

1985: Wish You Were Here - 18.9m
1986: Just Good Friends (BBC), 20.75m
1987: A Question of Sport (BBC), 26.65m
1988: Bread (BBC), 20.95m :dread:
1995: Panorama Special: Princess Diana (BBC1), 22.78m
1996: Only Fools and Horses (BBC1), 24.35m

Let that sink in, back in 1988 over a third of the UK population sat and watched this...



:dread:

Last edited by NickSCFC on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Disney+ streaming service announced - coming Nov 19 (US confirmed) | Disney | Fox | Pixar | Marvel | Star Wars | Nat
by Garth » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:01 am

suzzopher wrote:I’ll have to sub to Disney Plus, not sure what I’ll drop for it though, NowTV, Amazon or Netflix.

Noticed the Now TV cinema pass price increased to £11.99 per month recently :dread:

User avatar
suzzopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Cambridge

PostRe: Disney+ streaming service announced - coming Nov 19 (US confirmed) | Disney | Fox | Pixar | Marvel | Star Wars | Nat
by suzzopher » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:03 am

Garth wrote:
suzzopher wrote:I’ll have to sub to Disney Plus, not sure what I’ll drop for it though, NowTV, Amazon or Netflix.

Noticed the Now TV cinema pass price increased to £11.99 per month recently :dread:


I don’t have that, managed to get a year and only paid £3.99 for the whole time, but they’ve stopped offering me discounts to stay.

£11.99 is insane.

User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Disney+ streaming service announced - coming Nov 19 (US confirmed) | Disney | Fox | Pixar | Marvel | Star Wars | Nat
by Alvin Flummux » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:04 am

NickSCFC wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:Going to get this for all the Star Wars. There's so much Star Wars coming to the service.


Star Wars and Marvel have a huge dedicated fanbase, combine that with the fact that every kid will want this and I can't see why this can't be at least as successful as Netflix is.


I'll be watching some Marvel on it too, but yeah, these two huge properties will guarantee its success.

User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Disney+ streaming service announced - coming Nov 19 (US confirmed) | Disney | Fox | Pixar | Marvel | Star Wars | Nat
by Knoyleo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:05 am

The increasing fragmentation of video streaming services is only going to push people back towards piracy. Music streaming works because one subscription basically gets you all the big music releases, barring a few artists who won't support streaming at all. It's convenient, and you don't need to think about switching services, or having multiple subscriptions.

People will only want to spend so much a month on subscriptions, and if they're still locked out of content, then they'll just go and grab it for free.

NickSCFC

PostRe: Disney+ streaming service announced - coming Nov 19 (US confirmed) | Disney | Fox | Pixar | Marvel | Star Wars | Nat
by NickSCFC » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:11 am

Knoyleo wrote:The increasing fragmentation of video streaming services is only going to push people back towards piracy. Music streaming works because one subscription basically gets you all the big music releases, barring a few artists who won't support streaming at all. It's convenient, and you don't need to think about switching services, or having multiple subscriptions.

People will only want to spend so much a month on subscriptions, and if they're still locked out of content, then they'll just go and grab it for free.


I imagine some point in the distant future where global TV will have 3 major players, Amazon, Disney and Netflix, they'll have by then bought out most of the other producers, channels and networks, including those outside of America.

You can already see the buildup to this (Comcast buying Sky, Viacom buying C5, rumoured American takeover of ITV)

Last edited by NickSCFC on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Disney+ streaming service announced - coming Nov 19 (US confirmed) | Disney | Fox | Pixar | Marvel | Star Wars | Nat
by Lagamorph » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:15 am

NickSCFC wrote:You have to wonder what detrimental effect all this abundance of US TV will have on British TV .

Between 1950 and 1990 (the launch of Sky), there wasn't really much choice outside of British TV. You'd get the odd American movie which was a big highlight, but that was it. Corra and Eastenders could easily pull 20m viewers twice a week, now these are down to more like 5m (nothing of value was lost).

We're making some great stuff like Line of Duty and Bodyguard, but imagine a future where instead of these being upfront and centre on Freeview to them being buried away under a glut of US TV shows on an app menu.

The budget to create British TV shows is plummeting along with viewing figures, meanwhile these giant American companies like Amazon and Netflix are investing billions, The Crown costs the entire annual BBC budget alone. Amazon's Lord of the Rings series is being touted as the most expensive TV show every produced.

As for the glory days of British TV, here's some random picks from the days before Sky, home video and streaming...

1985: Wish You Were Here - 18.9m
1986: Just Good Friends (BBC), 20.75m
1987: A Question of Sport (BBC), 26.65m
1988: Bread (BBC), 20.95m :dread:
1995: Panorama Special: Princess Diana (BBC1), 22.78m
1996: Only Fools and Horses (BBC1), 24.35m

Let that sink in, back in 1988 over a third of the UK population sat and watched this...



:dread:

Don't a lot of UK made shows do quite well internationally these days? Looking at just the UK viewing figures really doesn't give anywhere near the full picture anymore.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
NickSCFC

PostRe: Disney+ streaming service announced - coming Nov 19 (US confirmed) | Disney | Fox | Pixar | Marvel | Star Wars | Nat
by NickSCFC » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:18 am

Lagamorph wrote:Don't a lot of UK made shows do quite well internationally these days? Looking at just the UK viewing figures really doesn't give anywhere near the full picture anymore.


The big budget stuff like Dr Who, The Crown and Downton do.

The typical British working class stuff that used to dominate British TV like Corra or Eastenders don't (again, probably a good thing).

A lot of them are targeting American audiences and tastes too, like Sex Education

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... disastrous

If ITV is sold to a foreign mogul, a vital bit of our culture is threatened

British TV is having a surge of success at home and abroad. Great programmes abound. Exports boom. But there is a downside. All this creativity creates covetous eyes, especially from the US. Last week, Viacom completed its purchase of Channel 5. Also, leading production company All3Media, just the latest to go, has been bought by Discovery and John Malone's Liberty Global, which earlier snapped up Virgin Media.

It is, as CEO of Channel 4 David Abraham declared in this year's MacTaggart lecture at the Edinburgh TV festival, a gold rush. The plethora of deals is turning British TV into a satellite of the US, making fortunes for the lucky few selling out today. But by destroying Britain's delicate TV ecosystem, the result is set to deliver a wasteland of crap television. Apart from Abraham, nobody seems to care.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Disney+ streaming service announced - coming Nov 19 (US confirmed) | Disney | Fox | Pixar | Marvel | Star Wars | Nat
by Moggy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:24 am

Lagamorph wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:You have to wonder what detrimental effect all this abundance of US TV will have on British TV .

Between 1950 and 1990 (the launch of Sky), there wasn't really much choice outside of British TV. You'd get the odd American movie which was a big highlight, but that was it. Corra and Eastenders could easily pull 20m viewers twice a week, now these are down to more like 5m (nothing of value was lost).

We're making some great stuff like Line of Duty and Bodyguard, but imagine a future where instead of these being upfront and centre on Freeview to them being buried away under a glut of US TV shows on an app menu.

The budget to create British TV shows is plummeting along with viewing figures, meanwhile these giant American companies like Amazon and Netflix are investing billions, The Crown costs the entire annual BBC budget alone. Amazon's Lord of the Rings series is being touted as the most expensive TV show every produced.

As for the glory days of British TV, here's some random picks from the days before Sky, home video and streaming...

1985: Wish You Were Here - 18.9m
1986: Just Good Friends (BBC), 20.75m
1987: A Question of Sport (BBC), 26.65m
1988: Bread (BBC), 20.95m :dread:
1995: Panorama Special: Princess Diana (BBC1), 22.78m
1996: Only Fools and Horses (BBC1), 24.35m

Let that sink in, back in 1988 over a third of the UK population sat and watched this...



:dread:

Don't a lot of UK made shows do quite well internationally these days? Looking at just the UK viewing figures really doesn't give anywhere near the full picture anymore.


It’s also not really a fair comparison to look at viewing figures from the 1980s. Back then we only had 3 or 4 channels, a VHS rental was a once a week treat and there was probably only one TV in each house.

Now we have 200+ TV channels, screens in every room and in every pocket, DVD/Blu-Ray, video games, streaming, internet/social media and various other entertainment. Broadcast media isn’t really dying, but the viewing figures are being spread out over the various other forms of entertainment.

NickSCFC

PostRe: Disney+ streaming service announced - coming Nov 19 (US confirmed) | Disney | Fox | Pixar | Marvel | Star Wars | Nat
by NickSCFC » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:32 am

Moggy wrote:It’s also not really a fair comparison to look at viewing figures from the 1980s. Back then we only had 3 or 4 channels, a VHS rental was a once a week treat and there was probably only one TV in each house.

Now we have 200+ TV channels, screens in every room and in every pocket, DVD/Blu-Ray, video games, streaming, internet/social media and various other entertainment. Broadcast media isn’t really dying, but the viewing figures are being spread out over the various other forms of entertainment.


That's my whole point really, between 1950 and 1990 you really had no choice but to watch either BBC or ITV all evening (or go to a crap pub), most of it was British content (albeit rubbish), but it was good for domestic TV producers and the industry.

Fast forward 30 years and there's now a glut of easily accessible American TV shows and movies. We still make popular shows like Line of Duty, Dr Who and Pepa Pig, but they're increasingly facing competition from American content.

It's all part of (for better or worse) the Americanisation of our culture.

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Disney+ streaming service announced - coming Nov 19 (US confirmed) | Disney | Fox | Pixar | Marvel | Star Wars | Nat
by Tomous » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:38 am

This will be massive. Looking at the content, anyone with young kids will be subscribing, and they're creating a lot of new content for Marvel and Star Wars which have very dedicated fanbases.

It'll only get bigger too.

Image
User avatar
Jamo3103
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Manchester

PostRe: Disney+ streaming service announced - coming Nov 19 (US confirmed) | Disney | Fox | Pixar | Marvel | Star Wars | Nat
by Jamo3103 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:41 am

I already subscribe to Netflix as it's convenient and has a good selection of content, also subscribe to Amazon Prime but that's more as a free bonus in addition to the other prime content that I use - I wouldn't pay for it outright. The selection is decent but it is horrendous to navigate and find things to watch.

I will definitely be subscribing to the Disney service, the convenience of having all the disney/star wars/marvel franchises all accessible any place and at any time is enough of a selling point alone but then to have original marvel/star wars content on top makes it an easy sell for me. Hopefully the Fox deal will also see Futurama make an appearance on it.

No other service has really swayed me yet, there's the occasional thing I'd watch (Game of Thrones) but if it's just one thing then I'm happy to resort to the high seas for that rather than pay for an entire service.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Disney+ streaming service announced - coming Nov 19 (US confirmed) | Disney | Fox | Pixar | Marvel | Star Wars | Nat
by KK » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:00 am

suzzopher wrote:
Garth wrote:
suzzopher wrote:I’ll have to sub to Disney Plus, not sure what I’ll drop for it though, NowTV, Amazon or Netflix.

Noticed the Now TV cinema pass price increased to £11.99 per month recently :dread:


I don’t have that, managed to get a year and only paid £3.99 for the whole time, but they’ve stopped offering me discounts to stay.

£11.99 is insane.

Especially when the picture and sound quality is so average on a big TV. I always end up watching it for free around once a year, usually via a McDonald's win or other promotion, and no way is it worth £12. Handy for watching films I'm not interested in paying for though (such as Hurricane Heist and Final Score).

Image
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Disney+ streaming service announced - coming Nov 19 (US confirmed) | Disney | Fox | Pixar | Marvel | Star Wars | Nat
by Mafro » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:19 am

Will definitely be getting this for the new Marvel and Disney shows, hopefully the movie catalogue doesn't get strawberry floated for the UK version due to the dickheads at Sky. I only really sub to Now TV when GoT is on and I get Amazon Prime for cheap thanks to the student discount (6 months free then £3.99 after)

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Disney+ streaming service announced - coming Nov 19 (US confirmed) | Disney | Fox | Pixar | Marvel | Star Wars | Nat
by KK » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:42 am

Sky’s current exclusivity contract with Disney ends in 2020 (a year of first-run and on-demand rights). It'll be interesting to see what happens next year, and whether they still have some exclusivity on Disney programming, just retain the rights to air it, or lose it all entirely. There's some major films for TV next year, such as Toy Story 4 and Lion King. Not sure if Sky's current contract will allow them to squeeze those in.

Image
NickSCFC

PostRe: Disney+ streaming service announced - coming Nov 19 (US confirmed) | Disney | Fox | Pixar | Marvel | Star Wars | Nat
by NickSCFC » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:56 pm

KK wrote:Sky’s current exclusivity contract with Disney ends in 2020 (a year of first-run and on-demand rights). It'll be interesting to see what happens next year, and whether they still have some exclusivity on Disney programming, just retain the rights to air it, or lose it all entirely. There's some major films for TV next year, such as Toy Story 4 and Lion King. Not sure if Sky's current contract will allow them to squeeze those in.


Sky are fast becoming my most hated company with it's their long term exclusivity deals and outdated tech (720p c'mon!)

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Disney+ streaming service announced - coming Nov 19 (US confirmed) | Disney | Fox | Pixar | Marvel | Star Wars | Nat
by Mafro » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:25 pm

NickSCFC wrote:
KK wrote:Sky’s current exclusivity contract with Disney ends in 2020 (a year of first-run and on-demand rights). It'll be interesting to see what happens next year, and whether they still have some exclusivity on Disney programming, just retain the rights to air it, or lose it all entirely. There's some major films for TV next year, such as Toy Story 4 and Lion King. Not sure if Sky's current contract will allow them to squeeze those in.


Sky are fast becoming my most hated company with it's their long term exclusivity deals and outdated tech (720p c'mon!)

I remember when Now TV live streaming was 480p only. And it wasn't even that long ago, this was during season 2 or 3 of GoT.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Disney+ streaming service announced - coming Nov 19 (US confirmed) | Disney | Fox | Pixar | Marvel | Star Wars | Nat
by KK » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:12 pm

At least they finally sorted out the judder, which was terrible when watching sport. The framerate still isn't satellite smooth, but it's decent.

You can tell they're dragging their feet as much as possible so as not to devalue SkyQ. They promised 1080p last year and over 12 months later they still haven't implemented it. Just like they've not implemented HDR and Dolby Atmos on SkyQ. They've been able to get away with it because they still have the content, and the Entertainment pass is always on promotion. I don't mind it on entertainment and sports, but I draw the line viewing films I actually want to watch in such a substandard way.

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Disney+ streaming service announced - coming Nov 19 (US confirmed) | Disney | Fox | Pixar | Marvel | Star Wars | Nat
by Victor Mildew » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:23 pm

NickSCFC wrote:


:dread:


:dread:

strawberry floating hell it's worse than I remember it being too, like a real Mrs Brown's boys

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
NickSCFC

PostRe: Disney+ streaming service announced - coming Nov 19 (US confirmed) | Disney | Fox | Pixar | Marvel | Star Wars | Nat
by NickSCFC » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:28 pm

KK wrote:At least they finally sorted out the judder, which was terrible when watching sport. The framerate still isn't satellite smooth, but it's decent.

You can tell they're dragging their feet as much as possible so as not to devalue SkyQ. They promised 1080p last year and over 12 months later they still haven't implemented it. Just like they've not implemented HDR and Dolby Atmos on SkyQ. They've been able to get away with it because they still have the content, and the Entertainment pass is always on promotion. I don't mind it on entertainment and sports, but I draw the line viewing films I actually want to watch in such a substandard way.


What's the long term plan for Sky?

As with Netflix, they have very little original content to compete with these media giants.

One by one the likes of Disney, Fox and Warner (owners of HBO) will take content away from Sky in order to deliver them directly via their own streaming services.

Then there's Premier League rights, I see Amazon continuing to increase the amount of packages they buy from the EPL in order to gain Prime subsrcibers.

They're already losing satellite subscribers thanks to their outdated model and, content aside, their NowTV app is gash.


Return to “Stuff”