DIY thread...

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Glowy69
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: B6

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Glowy69 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:52 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:
Glowy69 wrote:Been putting in some new sinks this weekend, well, her dad has, Im not at that level yet. strawberry float me what a nightmare. Water pipes come from the floor, skirting board around the bathroom so the unit wont sit flush, been to screw fix 3 times and its still not done. All for a strawberry floating sink. It now leaks cus something isn't on tight enough. We need a wrench with quite a wide jaw, are these expensive?

Jesus its been stressful.

Taps or drain leaking?


Taps. Its all connected, theres just the connecter that got to the tap isn't on tight enough and my hands won't tighten it any further. So a wide wrench is needed.

Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Image
User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Poser » Thu May 11, 2017 10:38 am

D_C wrote:Was busy last weekend. Renovated a dying/dead shed and generally improved the state of the garden a fair bit. Will look better once the grass comes back.
Image

Image


Good job! Are you treating your lawn or just seeing what nature does?

I'm bang into my garden at the moment, some of the stuff we've done in the past couple of years is really starting to pay off. I've just added a tonne of evergreen shrubs to stop it looking quite so desperate in the winter.

I'm a secret birdwatcher so really want the garden to mature so we can get more birds in there. :simper:

Image
User avatar
degoose
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: DIY thread...
by degoose » Thu May 11, 2017 2:20 pm

Love a bit of gardening now ,mainly due to my wife as i use to hate it. This was the garden last year in July

Image


What a great excuse to show off the garden

Image
"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega"
Steam:degoose, Xbox:degoose v2 , PSN:degoose, Switch: 0760-2133-6729
User avatar
D_C
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: DIY thread...
by D_C » Thu May 11, 2017 9:01 pm

Poser wrote:
Good job! Are you treating your lawn or just seeing what nature does?



I'm going to give it a little while. This was the first cut of the year and I think I probably set it a bit too low. If not, I'll chuck a load of seed down. When we bought the place a couple of years ago, the previous owners had a trampoline so there was a huge circle of nothing in the middle. If we could fix that, this is a doddle.

User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Errkal » Thu May 11, 2017 9:14 pm

D_C wrote:
Poser wrote:
Good job! Are you treating your lawn or just seeing what nature does?



I'm going to give it a little while. This was the first cut of the year and I think I probably set it a bit too low. If not, I'll chuck a load of seed down. When we bought the place a couple of years ago, the previous owners had a trampoline so there was a huge circle of nothing in the middle. If we could fix that, this is a doddle.



User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Squinty » Thu May 11, 2017 9:34 pm

Look at all these amazing gardens.

strawberry floating hell. I feel terrible now. I just havent had the time.

User avatar
Rax
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Raxicori

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Rax » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:08 pm

Made a storage box out of some old plywood that was sitting in the attic, really pleased with how it turned out. Its only going to be used to store some old tiles and stuff thats clogging up the utility room but it still turned out pretty well I have to say. Pics to follow once its varnished and actually storing stuff.

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Death's Head » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:19 pm

I've been "renovating" our garden furniture which is well over 10 years old. Need to give it at least one more coat of the stain/varnish combo and then hopefully it will give us another couple of years use before it needs to be retired. Also mowed the back weeds lawn yesterday.

Water feature.

Image

Project "restore"

Image

Bonus dog photo showing re-entry without a parachute

Image

Yes?
Glowy69
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: B6

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Glowy69 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:30 am

strawberry float gardens, they piss me off. Luckily we don't have one in our house, its all slabbed. When I lived on my own, it was literally the bane of my life.

Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Image
User avatar
Kezzer
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Kezzer » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:28 pm

If I had a garden inside my house i'd be pretty pissed. Gardens should be outside only. :x

Image
Image
Image
https://i.imgur.com/p4kW4c7.png

Check out the Digital Combat Simulator thread for some hardcore aerial combat! | Mumble | PCGT V | The Photography Thread |
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Gemini73 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:16 pm

So the wife and I thought it might be a good idea to give the house a bit of a makeover in a bid to brush away the cobwebs of the last year of difficulties in our relationship. I'm not that big on DIY, but once I get started I'm happy to do it. The plan is to repaint our bedroom, the landing, stairs and entrance. Once done we'll measure the front room for a new carpet and also buy a couple of new two-seater sofas.

Started prepping our bedroom today; general cleaning, sanding, removing some mould, applying some mould resistant undercoat on these areas, sanding down the lower window frame etc. Just need the wife to choose the colour she wants.

I also put new door handles on the kids bedrooms doors and touched up said doors with a bit of white gloss.

Not a difficult task, but once I was into the swing of things I quite enjoyed myself.

User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Dowbocop » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:26 pm

My current DIY task is to find a way to get round the back of the integrated washing machine and try to unblock the pump #prayforDowbo

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Rex Kramer » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:30 pm

Don't they usually have a filter port on the front?

User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Dowbocop » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:46 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:Don't they usually have a filter port on the front?

Hopefully! It might be behind the kick plate on the cupboards, I'll be able to look at that before I pull it out. I can't actually find the manual for my model on the web so I'm flying blind.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Rex Kramer » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:55 pm

Dowbocop wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Don't they usually have a filter port on the front?

Hopefully! It might be behind the kick plate on the cupboards, I'll be able to look at that before I pull it out. I can't actually find the manual for my model on the web so I'm flying blind.

If there's not an obvious port on it when the door is open then I'd imagine it'll be behind the kick plate.

User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Green Gecko » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:29 pm

I wouldn't personally recommend fitting your own carpet without a carpet kicker and good underlay, grip boards, and a few people to help etc. It can be a right mess. That said, I'll probably try it myself and cock it up some day. Get it the smallest bit off-size and it can't ever look good patching it up. At least get too much cut and then trim it afterwards. You can always cut more but you can't add it back.

The rest though, have fun! Have some damp/mould to sort out in our rental too as can't be strawberry floated to ask the landlord to do nothing about it.

There's 20% off eBay at the moment if you need money off some good brand tools like Makita etc.

Sanding sponges, although they're eviscerated after about 5 minutes of work, are great for working on sash windows and window frames in general. Also, get a razor blade window scraper to take off paint, then you don't have to worry about overpainting a frame (which is good practice anyway, as it seals glass in for less draughts - depends if you have traditional sash or uPVC windows).

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Gemini73 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:29 pm

Green Gecko wrote:I wouldn't personally recommend fitting your own carpet without a carpet kicker and good underlay, grip boards, and a few people to help etc. It can be a right mess. That said, I'll probably try it myself and cock it up some day. Get it the smallest bit off-size and it can't ever look good patching it up. At least get too much cut and then trim it afterwards. You can always cut more but you can't add it back.

The rest though, have fun! Have some damp/mould to sort out in our rental too as can't be strawberry floated to ask the landlord to do nothing about it.

There's 20% off eBay at the moment if you need money off some good brand tools like Makita etc.

Sanding sponges, although they're eviscerated after about 5 minutes of work, are great for working on sash windows and window frames in general. Also, get a razor blade window scraper to take off paint, then you don't have to worry about overpainting a frame (which is good practice anyway, as it seals glass in for less draughts - depends if you have traditional sash or uPVC windows).


We'll get a professional in to lay the carpet, I'm not confident enough to do it myself. We just need basic measurements.

Once the bedroom is finished I'll wait until Christmas is out of the way before starting the landing etc. Being on the 2-10pm shift I can do a little bit each morning before heading to work. We'll get there!

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Victor Mildew » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:15 am

Just found this thread.

Much like Gemini, we've decided to revamp the entire upstairs, which involves decorating every room and having new carpet fitted at the end. This will cover 3 bedrooms, the landing area and the stairs.

The first part of the puzzle (and my excuse for not starting for years :shifty: ) was getting our en suite completely redone. We had a professional do it, which cost a fair bit, but it looks absolutely fantastic. Now it's finished, my jobs are:

Remove all nails in floor boards in every room and replace with floor-tite screws (can't reccomend them enough) to eliminate floor board creaking, which is awful. I've done all 3 bedrooms. Next will be:

Pull the carpet up on the landing, screw the boards down and then build a new banister :dread: The one that's there is structurally fine, but has been painted by previous owners with so much gooseberry fool paint that it can't be saved, so I'd like a new one. Wish me luck on that :lol:

Then sand all skirting, then painting it while the carpet is up. Repaint the walls somehing more interesting than magnolia, which we put in as a quick fix to cover the u ok hun fuscia that the previous owner had painted it :dread:

Then it's a complete new set of furniture for every too, upstairs, including a nice new bed.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Dowbocop » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:33 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Don't they usually have a filter port on the front?

Hopefully! It might be behind the kick plate on the cupboards, I'll be able to look at that before I pull it out. I can't actually find the manual for my model on the web so I'm flying blind.

If there's not an obvious port on it when the door is open then I'd imagine it'll be behind the kick plate.

It's not behind the kick plate! My wife found the manual and it seems there isn't a port for it. They say if it isn't draining it's either the house drain (checked that and it isn't) or a kink in the machine drain pipe (not sure how that would happen but whatever). They installed the machine and then laid the floor around it, so I've had to drill out a chunk of laminate as well because one of the feet was trapped. Having lunch then going to try and shift the strawberry floater out of the hole...

User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Dowbocop » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:19 pm

Yeah, cleaned out all the drainage pipes for the washing machine, thought I'd fixed it. Turns out it's not a drainage issue and the machine has just stared to catch on fire. If I'd left it running my house may have burnt down. Might need a new washing machine!


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ecno, Monkey Man, Pedz, Peter Crisp, Skarjo and 48 guests