DIY thread...

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Dowbocop » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:19 pm

No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:Hey thanks for all the advice
Yeah I'm installing a new handle because I need one with a lock on it.

So you need a second hole underneath the catch/handle holes for the bolt?

No ts built into the handle

Dual wrote:Have you got a picture of the handle you're installing? I can't think of any type that requires a 'massive hole.'

Yes sure I got it from amazon here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
The hole needs to be 54mm apparently thanks! Now I just need to find a 54mm holesaw as the kit. linked above doesn't include that size damn.

I'd hold fire on that. 54mm is, as you say, a massive hole, and the images on that listing don't seem to correspond to it. From comparing the images on the screen to a ruler 54mm seems larger than the handle collar itself! I'm no expert on building regs and have only replaced one door handle myself, but I think most door handle holes are standardized so you can just buy any fitting you like and it'll fit. It also doesn't seem to include the long square bolt that goes between the two handles through the little hole in the mechanism so make sure you retain that from the old fitting in case you need it. You can always go out to B&Q or a local hardware store for extra tools if needed.

By all means consider buying a drill though! Hammer drills are really useful for brick walls, I had to buy one when we moved into our current house because there's only one partition wall in the house so hanging anything is a nightmare. In the end for most pictures/light hangings I just use nails! :lol:

Thanks but I just measured it to be sure and it seems 54mm is right as there are some metal tabs sticking out to clip into the 54mm hole.
Image

Ah right, didn't know you had it to hand so thought you were just going off the schematics on the listing. Not much margin for error on that collar, only a couple of mm each way. I'm no expert though so I'm gonna defer to the people who wrote the instructions innit :lol: - best of luck!

User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: DIY thread...
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:23 pm

Dowbocop wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:Hey thanks for all the advice
Yeah I'm installing a new handle because I need one with a lock on it.

So you need a second hole underneath the catch/handle holes for the bolt?

No ts built into the handle

Dual wrote:Have you got a picture of the handle you're installing? I can't think of any type that requires a 'massive hole.'

Yes sure I got it from amazon here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
The hole needs to be 54mm apparently thanks! Now I just need to find a 54mm holesaw as the kit. linked above doesn't include that size damn.

I'd hold fire on that. 54mm is, as you say, a massive hole, and the images on that listing don't seem to correspond to it. From comparing the images on the screen to a ruler 54mm seems larger than the handle collar itself! I'm no expert on building regs and have only replaced one door handle myself, but I think most door handle holes are standardized so you can just buy any fitting you like and it'll fit. It also doesn't seem to include the long square bolt that goes between the two handles through the little hole in the mechanism so make sure you retain that from the old fitting in case you need it. You can always go out to B&Q or a local hardware store for extra tools if needed.

By all means consider buying a drill though! Hammer drills are really useful for brick walls, I had to buy one when we moved into our current house because there's only one partition wall in the house so hanging anything is a nightmare. In the end for most pictures/light hangings I just use nails! :lol:

Thanks but I just measured it to be sure and it seems 54mm is right as there are some metal tabs sticking out to clip into the 54mm hole.
Image

Ah right, didn't know you had it to hand so thought you were just going off the schematics on the listing. Not much margin for error on that collar, only a couple of mm each way. I'm no expert though so I'm gonna defer to the people who wrote the instructions innit :lol: - best of luck!

Thanks again. Luckily it comes with a paper template that you fold around the door to get the exact circle. Looking forward to getting my drill tomorrow, will come in handy for a long time to come. I have a wardrobe without door handles for over a year now because I don't have a drill :lol:

User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Dowbocop » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:40 pm

No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:Hey thanks for all the advice
Yeah I'm installing a new handle because I need one with a lock on it.

So you need a second hole underneath the catch/handle holes for the bolt?

No ts built into the handle

Dual wrote:Have you got a picture of the handle you're installing? I can't think of any type that requires a 'massive hole.'

Yes sure I got it from amazon here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
The hole needs to be 54mm apparently thanks! Now I just need to find a 54mm holesaw as the kit. linked above doesn't include that size damn.

I'd hold fire on that. 54mm is, as you say, a massive hole, and the images on that listing don't seem to correspond to it. From comparing the images on the screen to a ruler 54mm seems larger than the handle collar itself! I'm no expert on building regs and have only replaced one door handle myself, but I think most door handle holes are standardized so you can just buy any fitting you like and it'll fit. It also doesn't seem to include the long square bolt that goes between the two handles through the little hole in the mechanism so make sure you retain that from the old fitting in case you need it. You can always go out to B&Q or a local hardware store for extra tools if needed.

By all means consider buying a drill though! Hammer drills are really useful for brick walls, I had to buy one when we moved into our current house because there's only one partition wall in the house so hanging anything is a nightmare. In the end for most pictures/light hangings I just use nails! :lol:

Thanks but I just measured it to be sure and it seems 54mm is right as there are some metal tabs sticking out to clip into the 54mm hole.
Image

Ah right, didn't know you had it to hand so thought you were just going off the schematics on the listing. Not much margin for error on that collar, only a couple of mm each way. I'm no expert though so I'm gonna defer to the people who wrote the instructions innit :lol: - best of luck!

Thanks again. Luckily it comes with a paper template that you fold around the door to get the exact circle. Looking forward to getting my drill tomorrow, will come in handy for a long time to come. I have a wardrobe without door handles for over a year now because I don't have a drill :lol:

Yeah at least a battery operated drill is essential kit in my opinion. Neither of my brothers in law own drills and so they defer to either my dad or my wife's dad when anything remotely difficult needs doing. I couldn't countenance doing that as a first resort (we live 200 miles away from both families so it's not even feasible). If my wife's dad gets involved his first job is to fix the strawberry floating mess I've made :lol:

User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: DIY thread...
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:45 pm

Dowbocop wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:Hey thanks for all the advice
Yeah I'm installing a new handle because I need one with a lock on it.

So you need a second hole underneath the catch/handle holes for the bolt?

No ts built into the handle

Dual wrote:Have you got a picture of the handle you're installing? I can't think of any type that requires a 'massive hole.'

Yes sure I got it from amazon here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
The hole needs to be 54mm apparently thanks! Now I just need to find a 54mm holesaw as the kit. linked above doesn't include that size damn.

I'd hold fire on that. 54mm is, as you say, a massive hole, and the images on that listing don't seem to correspond to it. From comparing the images on the screen to a ruler 54mm seems larger than the handle collar itself! I'm no expert on building regs and have only replaced one door handle myself, but I think most door handle holes are standardized so you can just buy any fitting you like and it'll fit. It also doesn't seem to include the long square bolt that goes between the two handles through the little hole in the mechanism so make sure you retain that from the old fitting in case you need it. You can always go out to B&Q or a local hardware store for extra tools if needed.

By all means consider buying a drill though! Hammer drills are really useful for brick walls, I had to buy one when we moved into our current house because there's only one partition wall in the house so hanging anything is a nightmare. In the end for most pictures/light hangings I just use nails! :lol:

Thanks but I just measured it to be sure and it seems 54mm is right as there are some metal tabs sticking out to clip into the 54mm hole.
Image

Ah right, didn't know you had it to hand so thought you were just going off the schematics on the listing. Not much margin for error on that collar, only a couple of mm each way. I'm no expert though so I'm gonna defer to the people who wrote the instructions innit :lol: - best of luck!

Thanks again. Luckily it comes with a paper template that you fold around the door to get the exact circle. Looking forward to getting my drill tomorrow, will come in handy for a long time to come. I have a wardrobe without door handles for over a year now because I don't have a drill :lol:

Yeah at least a battery operated drill is essential kit in my opinion. Neither of my brothers in law own drills and so they defer to either my dad or my wife's dad when anything remotely difficult needs doing. I couldn't countenance doing that as a first resort (we live 200 miles away from both families so it's not even feasible). If my wife's dad gets involved his first job is to fix the strawberry floating mess I've made :lol:

Yea I lost count of the number of times I couldn't do something because I didn't have a drill and had to resort to using the no nails glue or sticky pads etc. It's an essential item every household should probably have.
Mess? At least you have given it a go 8-)

User avatar
Holpil
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Holpil » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:07 am

I'm surprised it's a 54mm hole required, usually you just drill enough for the spindle bar to go through and turn freely and screw through the rose (the round bit).

When you're using the hole saw bit or spade bit, its a good idea to drill through just until the bit is just poking through the other side, then drill from that side. It stops the wood tearing/blowing out.

If you need to drill out for the latch, I'd recommend doing that to the required depth and diameter first because a spade bit can get stuck if you've already drilled some out for the spindle to go through. Then you end up faffing around with chisels to make it fit.

Also depending on the size of the new latch plate you might need a cheap set of chisels to set it in place. Might as well get a tool box whilst you're at it, if you get properly into DIY you're going to amass a lot of stuff :slol:

User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: DIY thread...
by rinks » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:02 am

Putting a lock on an internal door suggests shared accommodation. Is your landlord OK with it?

A 54mm hole is going to bugger up the door if/when that handle needs to be replaced.

User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: DIY thread...
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:12 am

Holpil wrote:I'm surprised it's a 54mm hole required, usually you just drill enough for the spindle bar to go through and turn freely and screw through the rose (the round bit).

When you're using the hole saw bit or spade bit, its a good idea to drill through just until the bit is just poking through the other side, then drill from that side. It stops the wood tearing/blowing out.

If you need to drill out for the latch, I'd recommend doing that to the required depth and diameter first because a spade bit can get stuck if you've already drilled some out for the spindle to go through. Then you end up faffing around with chisels to make it fit.

Also depending on the size of the new latch plate you might need a cheap set of chisels to set it in place. Might as well get a tool box whilst you're at it, if you get properly into DIY you're going to amass a lot of stuff :slol:

Thanks for the tips much appreciated, not something you would think of doing like drilling through a bit on one end then swapping over to prevent the other side of the door breaking up when the drill comes through.

rinks wrote:Putting a lock on an internal door suggests shared accommodation. Is your landlord OK with it?

A 54mm hole is going to bugger up the door if/when that handle needs to be replaced.

This is at my parents home as I'm up for lockdown. I need a lock because my niece decides to trash what was my room when I'm not here lol so just want to keep her out of there. So even though I don't live here I still have stuff I haven't moved out of my parents home yet.

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Drumstick » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:14 am

Sanding the walls in our kitchen today. I utterly loathe anything like this so not going to be a fun day.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: DIY thread...
by rinks » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:16 am

No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:This is at my parents home as I'm up for lockdown. I need a lock because my niece decides to trash what was my room when I'm not here lol so just want to keep her out of there. So even though I don't live here I still have stuff I haven't moved out of my parents home yet.

Haha, OK that’s a different matter! Assuming she’s very young, and not just a psychopath, a far easier solution would be to put a simple bolt on the door, high enough so it’s out of her reach.

User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Dowbocop » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:25 am

rinks wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:This is at my parents home as I'm up for lockdown. I need a lock because my niece decides to trash what was my room when I'm not here lol so just want to keep her out of there. So even though I don't live here I still have stuff I haven't moved out of my parents home yet.

Haha, OK that’s a different matter! Assuming she’s very young, and not just a psychopath, a far easier solution would be to put a simple bolt on the door, high enough so it’s out of her reach.

And solder it to a car battery on the other side...

User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: DIY thread...
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:51 pm

rinks wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:This is at my parents home as I'm up for lockdown. I need a lock because my niece decides to trash what was my room when I'm not here lol so just want to keep her out of there. So even though I don't live here I still have stuff I haven't moved out of my parents home yet.

Haha, OK that’s a different matter! Assuming she’s very young, and not just a psychopath, a far easier solution would be to put a simple bolt on the door, high enough so it’s out of her reach.

:fp: You're right it would have been so much easier to have gotten something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUIMALL-Stainless-Padlock-Staple-Security/dp/B08G87XKKJ/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=DOOR+BOLT+INTERNAL+WITH+PADLOCK&qid=1617641137&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyM1oyV0wxTjZYMkpEJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDYwMjM2M040NzdMVUM5UlZaTCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzA0ODA3MTVCMDZWSjFTWTJQQyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

O well nm at least I now have my own drill :)

Dowbocop wrote:
rinks wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:This is at my parents home as I'm up for lockdown. I need a lock because my niece decides to trash what was my room when I'm not here lol so just want to keep her out of there. So even though I don't live here I still have stuff I haven't moved out of my parents home yet.

Haha, OK that’s a different matter! Assuming she’s very young, and not just a psychopath, a far easier solution would be to put a simple bolt on the door, high enough so it’s out of her reach.

And solder it to a car battery on the other side...

That's a bit harsh lol

User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: DIY thread...
by rinks » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:19 pm

Harsh would be mains.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, Cuttooth, darksideby182, Dig Dug, Google [Bot], more heat than light, Tafdolphin, Vermilion, Xeno and 167 guests