Doctor Who- "Ascension of the Cybermen" Jawa4 says "I *almost* stopped watching"

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Doctor Who- "Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror" shy guy 64 says "pretty standard episode"
by Garth » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:46 pm

shy guy 64 wrote:hey first time i made the thread title, cool

Image

User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Doctor Who- "Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror" shy guy 64 says "pretty standard episode"
by shy guy 64 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:02 am

Garth wrote:
shy guy 64 wrote:hey first time i made the thread title, cool

Image


no need for that

Image
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Doctor Who- "Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror" shy guy 64 says "pretty standard episode"
by The Watching Artist » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:08 am

Garth wrote:
shy guy 64 wrote:hey first time i made the thread title, cool

Image

:lol:

Also-

Image
User avatar
imbusydoctorwho
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Doctor Who- "Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror" shy guy 64 says "pretty standard episode"
by imbusydoctorwho » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:36 pm

Apparently Jodie is returning for another series, she let it slip during an interview. Just hope she ditches the fam and gets some new companions.

Image
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Doctor Who- "Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror" shy guy 64 says "pretty standard episode"
by The Watching Artist » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:02 pm

Well that was something. :shock:

:lol:

Image
User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Doctor Who- "Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror" shy guy 64 says "pretty standard episode"
by shy guy 64 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:03 pm

Well that was miles better than the first judoon story

full marks for surprise value and so much for chibbnal not wanting to use other people’s characters. It was awesome seeing jack again. Still this episode is gonna be driving the fan theories wild, gonna be interesting to see the result

Image
User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Doctor Who- "Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror" shy guy 64 says "pretty standard episode"
by Lex-Man » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:06 pm

First episode of this season I've seen. Thought it was really good. It's going to be interesting to see how it pans out.

My guess is:

Doctor from alternative universe.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Doctor Who- "Fugitive of the Judoon"
by The Watching Artist » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:16 pm


Yep. :lol:

Image
User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Doctor Who- "Fugitive of the Judoon"
by Garth » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:17 pm

Whaaaaaaat?? :shock:

Captain Jack! :toot:

User avatar
imbusydoctorwho
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Doctor Who- "Fugitive of the Judoon"
by imbusydoctorwho » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:06 pm

Now that is what you call a Doctor Who episode, the return of the Judoon was good enough. But Captain Jack return made me scream and then the whole thing with Ruth and]Who she is. Can't wait for the rest of the Series now.
Who'd have think it that woman who did the Tesco ads is now the Doctor
Image

Image
User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Doctor Who- "Fugitive of the Judoon"
by Garth » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:59 pm

Really was a crazy episode. I enjoyed the return of the Judoon more than I'd expected to and that part of the story probably would've been enough to make it a decent episode for me, then we had the Captain Jack surprise which I totally didn't see coming (bit of a teaser though!), plus another even bigger surprise on top of that! Really interested to see where this all goes - the Doctor reveal, the Master stuff, and whatever the Cyberman warning is about. Maybe we'll even see the back of one or two of these bland companions!

User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Doctor Who- "Fugitive of the Judoon"
by shy guy 64 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:05 pm

obviously she cant be a past incarnation of the doctor cause that would create far to many continuity errors. she could still be a future version i guess but there were a few things that werent quite right. so that leaves clone, temporal duplicate, parallel universe or something involving a lot of perceptions filters, this whole series has been in the matrix, a dream or some other fake reality

Image
User avatar
Balladeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: Doctor Who- "Fugitive of the Judoon"
by Balladeer » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:11 pm

Oh look, an actually good one!

Ruth is a better Doctor than Jodie IMO.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Doctor Who- "Fugitive of the Judoon"
by Moggy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:34 pm

Great episode, probably the best of Whittaker’s run so far.

I’m assuming multiverse parallel reality? Something to do with the Master and Galifrey? When he destroyed Galifrey he split reality and so two alternate versions can exist?

Image
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Doctor Who- "Fugitive of the Judoon"
by The Watching Artist » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:25 pm

Moggy wrote:Great episode, probably the best of Whittaker’s run so far.

I’m assuming multiverse parallel reality? Something to do with the Master and Galifrey? When he destroyed Galifrey he split reality and so two alternate versions can exist?

Lex-Man wrote:First episode of this season I've seen. Thought it was really good. It's going to be interesting to see how it pans out.

My guess is:

Doctor from alternative universe.

Assuming its not all a lie it pretty much has to be this. As the TARDIS became a police box because of the first Doctor. So that rules out an earlier version despite the choice of interior set (please stay.... please :( ) In theory they could go mental and shove her between 2 and 3 but that would be such a stretch and a call back it would mean nothing to new viewers.

You've not missed a huge amount btw but I would suggested at least going back and watching the opening story Spyfall.


Plus she was a tour guide. Nice job!

As for the ep itself. I got more of a kick out of seeing the Judoon again then I expected. They are not the most interesting things but they have a function and its makes sense here. That side of the story was o...k. Fun but a bit clunky. The dossier was a bit too hokey for me. :lol: Neil Stuke was really good (the irony of him playing a character who didnt want to leave the house :slol: ) The shield around the city raises the question of just how many people died in traffic accidents and casually walking the dog. Obviously it was all there to set up the rest of it. Which I can only describe as !corblimey. Also OMG they remembered that Yaz is a police officer. Shame it felt so horribly unnatural and wedged in, with them actually having to state she is just in case we have forgotten.

Got a big grin seeing Jack again. But it sadly was somewhat wasted as it added nothing to the plot of this story, just setting up another little catchphrase. It did however remove the companions from the story and much like Spyfall part 2 it seems to really help 13. I think we can all expect he will turn up again at some point. The rest of the ep was rather strong as 13 and Ruth played off each other really well. The only thing that really got to me was seeing 13 on top of the lighthouse waving the Sonic about. I dont know why but I've been finding the Sonic stuff so much more irritating with 13. Maybe its linked with the leaning forward thing she does when she talks at people. I dunno. My only major criticism of this story was really the amount of elements that could clearly be seen as from other eps. The Next Doctor, Human Nature, Smith and Jones, Utopia. At least they worked out though.

Its funny how after last series complete lack of continuity (ignoring Tim Shaw) we now have....
The Timeless Child
CJ
The Lone Cyberman
The Master
Ruth Who
Burnt Gallifrey

Its exciting (at last) but with Chibbers in charge I dont feel confident at all. Bloke has struggled to make even by the numbers Who work properly let alone stick all that stuff. Hope I'm wrong though!

Anyway seeing as the Judoon are back how about enjoying one of the greatest cultural landmarks in this- https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2xvyv0

Image
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Doctor Who- "Fugitive of the Judoon"
by Hexx » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:10 pm

The Watching Artist wrote:
Moggy wrote:Great episode, probably the best of Whittaker’s run so far.

I’m assuming multiverse parallel reality? Something to do with the Master and Galifrey? When he destroyed Galifrey he split reality and so two alternate versions can exist?

Lex-Man wrote:First episode of this season I've seen. Thought it was really good. It's going to be interesting to see how it pans out.

My guess is:

Doctor from alternative universe.

Assuming its not all a lie it pretty much has to be this. As the TARDIS became a police box because of the first Doctor. So that rules out an earlier version despite the choice of interior set (please stay.... please :( ) In theory they could go mental and shove her between 2 and 3 but that would be such a stretch and a call back it would mean nothing to new viewers.

You've not missed a huge amount btw but I would suggested at least going back and watching the opening story Spyfall.


Plus she was a tour guide. Nice job!

As for the ep itself. I got more of a kick out of seeing the Judoon again then I expected. They are not the most interesting things but they have a function and its makes sense here. That side of the story was o...k. Fun but a bit clunky. The dossier was a bit too hokey for me. :lol: Neil Stuke was really good (the irony of him playing a character who didnt want to leave the house :slol: ) The shield around the city raises the question of just how many people died in traffic accidents and casually walking the dog. Obviously it was all there to set up the rest of it. Which I can only describe as !corblimey. Also OMG they remembered that Yaz is a police officer. Shame it felt so horribly unnatural and wedged in, with them actually having to state she is just in case we have forgotten.

Got a big grin seeing Jack again. But it sadly was somewhat wasted as it added nothing to the plot of this story, just setting up another little catchphrase. It did however remove the companions from the story and much like Spyfall part 2 it seems to really help 13. I think we can all expect he will turn up again at some point. The rest of the ep was rather strong as 13 and Ruth played off each other really well. The only thing that really got to me was seeing 13 on top of the lighthouse waving the Sonic about. I dont know why but I've been finding the Sonic stuff so much more irritating with 13. Maybe its linked with the leaning forward thing she does when she talks at people. I dunno. My only major criticism of this story was really the amount of elements that could clearly be seen as from other eps. The Next Doctor, Human Nature, Smith and Jones, Utopia. At least they worked out though.

Its funny how after last series complete lack of continuity (ignoring Tim Shaw) we now have....
The Timeless Child
CJ
The Lone Cyberman
The Master
Ruth Who
Burnt Gallifrey

Its exciting (at last) but with Chibbers in charge I dont feel confident at all. Bloke has struggled to make even by the numbers Who work properly let alone stick all that stuff. Hope I'm wrong though!

Anyway seeing as the Judoon are back how about enjoying one of the greatest cultural landmarks in this- https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2xvyv0


13 seems to use the Sonic as far more of a "scanner" (which she then announces the results of) than others.

Yeah the relationship with the companions is really odd. You don't really get any real connection between them or why they're so important to each other. It doesn't help that they're all pretty bland characters (the fact you could interchange their dialogue and it not matter still holds true). I like the actors but the writing for them is woeful

User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Doctor Who- "Fugitive of the Judoon"
by The Watching Artist » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:29 pm

Hexx wrote:13 seems to use the Sonic as far more of a "scanner" (which she then announces the results of) than others.

Yeah the relationship with the companions is really odd. You don't really get any real connection between them or why they're so important to each other. It doesn't help that they're all pretty bland characters (the fact you could interchange their dialogue and it not matter still holds true). I like the actors but the writing for them is woeful

Last week she used it to make something fall on someones head. :fp: Even when surrounded with boxes she could pick up and throw. Maybe I'm just being a twat about it because I've not been enjoying it so much where as before I might have let it pass.

After all the drama of the ep yesterday we still ended up with a lifeless flat TARDIS interior scene where everyone stays in the same block. I cared more about Handles. :lol:

Image
User avatar
Balladeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: Doctor Who- "Fugitive of the Judoon" Balladeer says "an actually good one!"
by Balladeer » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:00 pm

Agreed about the ‘fam’, they’re terrible. I think the big takeaway from this couple of series is going to be that there’s no time in the show for more than two assistants.

User avatar
kerr9000
Member
Joined in 2013
Contact:

PostRe: Doctor Who- "Fugitive of the Judoon" Balladeer says "an actually good one!"
by kerr9000 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:27 pm

I like Graham but find the other two less to my taste, she could dissapear and I wouldn't care and he could go part time taken along occasionally and I'd be happier, I think he works best when with Graham when you see there relationship

This episode deffinetly made me think they'd picked the wrong actor for the Doctor as I think Jodie got upstaged massively.

http://kerr9000.blogspot.co.uk/ For my Blog... https://www.youtube.com/user/kerr9000 for my YouTube channel. kerr9000 on Xbox, PS4 kerr9000gamesroom on instergram
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Doctor Who- "Fugitive of the Judoon" Balladeer says "an actually good one!"
by The Watching Artist » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:12 pm

I think 3 could work if its really well written and the characters are distinct enough. Even if it was as simple as one from the past, present and future. So they always have a different view on something. But this 3. :dread:

Oh and I've just realised why it was a lighthouse :fp: :lol: :oops:

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Met, MSN [Bot], Photek and 49 guests