Does anyone else only ever get nostalgic about their childhood/teens?

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

What age and decade are you most nostalgic for? (Pick 2)

1960s
0
No votes
1970s
2
6%
1980s
4
11%
1990s
16
44%
2000s
7
19%
Your primary school years
1
3%
Your high school years
3
8%
Your college/uni years
3
8%
 
Total votes: 36
User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Does anyone else only ever get nostalgic about their childhood/teens?
by Garth » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:21 am

Not really, I'm still enjoying the same hobbies and have plenty of stuff to entertain me and keep me busy. I'm always looking forward to new things too, I'm in good health, still eager to see more of the world etc. I'm pretty much a manchild anyway.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009
Location: Garcadia's Umbral Plains

PostRe: Does anyone else only ever get nostalgic about their childhood/teens?
by Preezy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:49 am

I'm all about that nostalgia, plug straight into my veins :datass: :wub:

Image
NickSCFC

PostRe: Does anyone else only ever get nostalgic about their childhood/teens?
by NickSCFC » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:25 pm

Moggy wrote:I think it’s normal for people to look back at their childhood/teens/20s and wish they were still there.

I miss my late teens/early 20s but I’m also pretty sure that I am just forgetting the stuff I hated at the time.


Oddly enough I couldn't wait to leave school. I was depressed quite a lot, got bullied a lot and had no idea who I was.

Now I have everything I could ask in life but every month or so I'll hear a song or see a movie from that time and it just sets off the obsession again.

I had a great time at college and uni, but whenever I hear music that was playing in the club's we frequented at the time I feel barely anything.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Does anyone else only ever get nostalgic about their childhood/teens?
by Moggy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:53 am

NickSCFC wrote:
Moggy wrote:I think it’s normal for people to look back at their childhood/teens/20s and wish they were still there.

I miss my late teens/early 20s but I’m also pretty sure that I am just forgetting the stuff I hated at the time.


Oddly enough I couldn't wait to leave school. I was depressed quite a lot, got bullied a lot and had no idea who I was.

Now I have everything I could ask in life but every month or so I'll hear a song or see a movie from that time and it just sets off the obsession again.

I had a great time at college and uni, but whenever I hear music that was playing in the club's we frequented at the time I feel barely anything.


I don’t miss school at all, but I do miss the other stuff from childhood. Summer holidays and playing games with friends. Later on I miss the underage drinking we used to get up to. I am pretty sure it was nowhere near as fun as I remember it, but I have great memories of it.

In my twenties I had great fun going out, travelling the world and running up large debts. :lol: It was the 2000s, the banks basically gave it away. It wasn’t so fun when I grew up a bit and had to repay it, but it was fantastic at the time.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Does anyone else only ever get nostalgic about their childhood/teens?
by Jenuall » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:00 am

I do miss being young sometimes, there is just so much freedom and potential inherent in childhood (or at least there should be - some people get a gooseberry fool deal for all sorts of reasons sadly :( ) - you've got loads of time do spend with friends, play games, run around and explore the world and your whole life is in front of you and you can do whatever you want with it! Once you're old you can't entertain yourself by wondering where you'll end up because you're already there.

ImageImage
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Does anyone else only ever get nostalgic about their childhood/teens?
by Moggy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:07 am

Jenuall wrote:I do miss being young sometimes, there is just so much freedom and potential inherent in childhood (or at least there should be - some people get a gooseberry fool deal for all sorts of reasons sadly :( ) - you've got loads of time do spend with friends, play games, run around and explore the world and your whole life is in front of you and you can do whatever you want with it! Once you're old you can't entertain yourself by wondering where you'll end up because you're already there.


It’s not just the length of time either, the feel of time is so different when you are a kid. Half term used to feel like a long time and the 6 week summer holiday was crazy, it really felt like you were off for a long time in a way that time off as an adult just doesn’t.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Does anyone else only ever get nostalgic about their childhood/teens?
by Jenuall » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:29 am

Moggy wrote:
Jenuall wrote:I do miss being young sometimes, there is just so much freedom and potential inherent in childhood (or at least there should be - some people get a gooseberry fool deal for all sorts of reasons sadly :( ) - you've got loads of time do spend with friends, play games, run around and explore the world and your whole life is in front of you and you can do whatever you want with it! Once you're old you can't entertain yourself by wondering where you'll end up because you're already there.


It’s not just the length of time either, the feel of time is so different when you are a kid. Half term used to feel like a long time and the 6 week summer holiday was crazy, it really felt like you were off for a long time in a way that time off as an adult just doesn’t.

Very true, it's actually quite frightening how the passage of time seems to have accelerated with age! :shock:

As you say a half term or summer holiday used to feel massive - so much time for shenanigans! Similarly being at school each year seemed to last for ages, you could barely imagine a time when you would be as big as those a few years above you. Now time almost seems to go by in the blink of an eye. I was genuinely taken aback the other day when I realised it was June - Christmas and me stressing about moving house in January feels like 5 minutes ago! My eldest will be 9 this year but it feels like only yesterday when she arrived, in that same brief amount of time again she'll be off to university! (if they still exist in the husk of a world that we'll probably inhabit in 9 years time! :lol: )

ImageImage
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Does anyone else only ever get nostalgic about their childhood/teens?
by Moggy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:36 am

Jenuall wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Jenuall wrote:I do miss being young sometimes, there is just so much freedom and potential inherent in childhood (or at least there should be - some people get a gooseberry fool deal for all sorts of reasons sadly :( ) - you've got loads of time do spend with friends, play games, run around and explore the world and your whole life is in front of you and you can do whatever you want with it! Once you're old you can't entertain yourself by wondering where you'll end up because you're already there.


It’s not just the length of time either, the feel of time is so different when you are a kid. Half term used to feel like a long time and the 6 week summer holiday was crazy, it really felt like you were off for a long time in a way that time off as an adult just doesn’t.

Very true, it's actually quite frightening how the passage of time seems to have accelerated with age! :shock:

As you say a half term or summer holiday used to feel massive - so much time for shenanigans! Similarly being at school each year seemed to last for ages, you could barely imagine a time when you would be as big as those a few years above you. Now time almost seems to go by in the blink of an eye. I was genuinely taken aback the other day when I realised it was June - Christmas and me stressing about moving house in January feels like 5 minutes ago! My eldest will be 9 this year but it feels like only yesterday when she arrived, in that same brief amount of time again she'll be off to university! (if they still exist in the husk of a world that we'll probably inhabit in 9 years time! :lol: )


Our lessons at school lasted 50 minutes, those 50 minutes used to feel like 4 hours feels to me now.

Having said that, some days at work feel like they drag on forever. :lol:


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Benzin, Chocolate-Milk, Cuttooth, Dowbocop, Godzilla, JChalmers, Lime, Minty14, Oblomov Boblomov, Rax, Tineash, Trelliz and 53 guests