Doom Eternal | PS4, XBO, PC, Switch | Rip and tear!

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Doom Eternal | PS4, XBO, PC, Switch | Rip and tear!
by Tafdolphin » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:46 pm

Is it wrong I hope Cal keeps posting in here? His policy of not responding to any criticism makes it incredibly rewarding to take the piss out of his archaic, fascistic viewpoints.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Doom Eternal | PS4, XBO, PC, Switch | Rip and tear!
by Preezy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:17 pm

Aaaaanyway...

I really hope they double down on the demonic side of things. I want them to really explore the idea of Hell being this other dimension and how it's just pure chaos and pain, but also of pure freedom where the darkest sides of people come out and dominate, a bit like Event Horizon (well, a lot like Event Horizon). I'd also like them to go down the Hellraiser route of humans being tempted into this almost sexual attraction to pure evil and insanity.

I find that kind of stuff really interesting :shifty:

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Doom Eternal | PS4, XBO, PC, Switch | Rip and tear!
by Tafdolphin » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Brerlappin wrote: I didnt like how they handled Hell in Doom 2016, like it was the UAC found hell and just used it as an energy source? Thats lame as gooseberry fool.


See, I strawberry floating loved that. That completely blasé attitude just made the whole thing so much better. 2016 has an attitude that's rare in games; we know why you're here, you know why you're here, let's do this. Everything else is superfluous. The plot, the minamlist storytelling, even Doomguy's actions are all "let's get back to the killing." The pure ridiculousness of Earth relying on a literal Hell to keep it going (over, you know, sustainable energy) ramps the sinister nature of UAC up to the next level in keeping with the rest of the game.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: Doom Eternal | PS4, XBO, PC, Switch | Rip and tear!
by Jenuall » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:01 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Brerlappin wrote: I didnt like how they handled Hell in Doom 2016, like it was the UAC found hell and just used it as an energy source? Thats lame as gooseberry fool.


See, I strawberry floating loved that. That completely blasé attitude just made the whole thing so much better. 2016 has an attitude that's rare in games; we know why you're here, you know why you're here, let's do this. Everything else is superfluous. The plot, the minamlist storytelling, even Doomguy's actions are all "let's get back to the killing." The pure ridiculousness of Earth relying on a literal Hell to keep it going (over, you know, sustainable energy) ramps the sinister nature of UAC up to the next level in keeping with the rest of the game.


Same here, this was one of the strongest and most refreshing aspects of the game.

"Demonic Invasion In Progress" strawberry float yeah! :nod:

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Doom Eternal | PS4, XBO, PC, Switch | Rip and tear!
by Peter Crisp » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:13 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Brerlappin wrote: I didnt like how they handled Hell in Doom 2016, like it was the UAC found hell and just used it as an energy source? Thats lame as gooseberry fool.


See, I strawberry floating loved that. That completely blasé attitude just made the whole thing so much better. 2016 has an attitude that's rare in games; we know why you're here, you know why you're here, let's do this. Everything else is superfluous. The plot, the minamlist storytelling, even Doomguy's actions are all "let's get back to the killing." The pure ridiculousness of Earth relying on a literal Hell to keep it going (over, you know, sustainable energy) ramps the sinister nature of UAC up to the next level in keeping with the rest of the game.


I agree.
Not every game needs a story or even a reason to exist other than it's fun.
Does Wolfenstien really need an explanation other than "There's some Nazi's doing bad things, let's kick the gooseberry fool out of them until they stop!" as I'm fairly sure that's enough for most people.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Doom Eternal | PS4, XBO, PC, Switch | Rip and tear!
by Tomous » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:38 pm

+1 for what Taf said.

The no nonsense “this is the story, who cares why, here’s a shotgun, off you go” approach to Doom 2016 is one of the reasons I had so much fun playing it. Not every game needs a layer of intelligence to justify itself.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: Doom Eternal | PS4, XBO, PC, Switch | Rip and tear!
by Jenuall » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Tomous wrote:+1 for what Taf said.

The no nonsense “this is the story, who cares why, here’s a shotgun, off you go” approach to Doom 2016 is one of the reasons I had so much fun playing it. Not every game needs a layer of intelligence to justify itself.


To be fair there is a layer of intelligence in just how well Doom 2016 recognises this in itself!

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Doom Eternal | PS4, XBO, PC, Switch | Rip and tear!
by Tafdolphin » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Tomous wrote:+1 for what Taf said.

The no nonsense “this is the story, who cares why, here’s a shotgun, off you go” approach to Doom 2016 is one of the reasons I had so much fun playing it. Not every game needs a layer of intelligence to justify itself.


To be fair there is a layer of intelligence in just how well Doom 2016 recognises this in itself!


Exactly! There's a lot of thought in 2016's thoughtlessness, a lot of cleverness behind its stupidity. Even reading the codex entries reveals that there's a ton of backstory and lore stuff, but it's hidden away for people with an interest in that sort of thing (which of course, I am).

My worry for Eternal is that this clever stupidity will be lost and replaced with capital-L Lore and capital-P Plot.

EDIT: This is a great watch, and explains the process they went through to get the unique attitude of 2016.


Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Doom Eternal | PS4, XBO, PC, Switch | Rip and tear!
by Ad7 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:23 am

The playstation version of doom was incredible. Id played my 32x version to death by the time i got around to playing it, and the new lighting coupled with that scary soundtrack (which I vastly prefer to the original music) made it a terrifying game. So many memories of playing the game in deathmatch with linked up PlayStations :wub: .

And stop calling it PSX :x :dread: :capnscotty:

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Doom Eternal | PS4, XBO, PC, Switch | Rip and tear!
by Rightey » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:41 am

Now this is how you establish a character in a video game

*hint turn on sound*


► Link

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Doom Eternal | PS4, XBO, PC, Switch | Rip and tear!
by Ad7 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:17 am

There's something very duke nuke 3d about that.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: Doom Eternal | PS4, XBO, PC, Switch | Rip and tear!
by Dual » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:25 am

What is that from?

User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Doom Eternal | PS4, XBO, PC, Switch | Rip and tear!
by Cheeky Devlin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:31 am

Dual wrote:What is that from?

Doom Eternal. There was a longer gameplay video showing a different part of the game shown.

But that was awesome. Really can't wait for this one.

Ad7 wrote:The playstation version of doom was incredible. Id played my 32x version to death by the time i got around to playing it, and the new lighting coupled with that scary soundtrack (which I vastly prefer to the original music) made it a terrifying game. So many memories of playing the game in deathmatch with linked up PlayStations :wub: .

And stop calling it PSX :x :dread: :capnscotty:


It really was the best console port at the time. The Saturn version could have been amazing, but John Carmack crippled its performance. The guys making it had it running at a solid 60fps (More than double the PS1) but it had the trade off of texture warping being more prevalent. Carmack hates texture warping and wouldnt accept that version so they had to rewrite it and they just couldn't get speed they needed. As such it's a slow, horrible mess to play. Digital Foundry did a video looking at the least to most playable console ports (Number 6 will shock you!) that's worth a watch.


Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Doom Eternal | PS4, XBO, PC, Switch | Rip and tear!
by Tafdolphin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:50 am

Rightey wrote:Now this is how you establish a character in a video game

*hint turn on sound*


► Link


See, this was one of the bits that worried me a little from the footage. It's longer than 99% (EDIT: Nope, 100%) of the cutscenes from DOOM and, although cool, feels overdone. We get that the Doom guy is badass, the first game established that. If the strawberry floating demons are terrified of him, what does showing us that normal people are too really add?

Hopefully it's the game's intro, and the only cutscene of that length in the game.

Last edited by Tafdolphin on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Doom Eternal | PS4, XBO, PC, Switch | Rip and tear!
by Preezy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:58 am

Thanks to Taf for sharing the PS1 music clips, I hadn't ever heard those before and they are way creepier and dark than the heavy metal midi score of the PC version.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: Doom Eternal | PS4, XBO, PC, Switch | Rip and tear!
by Jenuall » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:45 am

Tafdolphin wrote:
Rightey wrote:Now this is how you establish a character in a video game

*hint turn on sound*


► Link


See, this was one of the bits that worried me a little from the footage. It's longer than 99% (EDIT: Nope, 100%) of the cutscenes from DOOM and, although cool, feels overdone. We get that the Doom guy is badass, the first game established that. If the strawberry floating demons are terrified of him, what does showing us that normal people are too really add?

Hopefully it's the game's intro, and the only cutscene of that length in the game.


I was about to post the same, that clip has me slightly worried about the game. As long as that's a one off then I'm not too bothered, but if we're going to get lots of stuff like that then it's not a good sign.

Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Doom Eternal | PS4, XBO, PC, Switch | Rip and tear!
by Preezy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:04 pm

Bought Doom again, can't wait to get back into Hell :nod:

User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Doom Eternal | PS4, XBO, PC, Switch | Rip and tear!
by Pedz » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:50 pm

Ok, just reading this thread from page 2..
Did people actually say Demon is an offensive term?

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Doom Eternal | PS4, XBO, PC, Switch | Rip and tear!
by Tafdolphin » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:00 pm

Pedz wrote:Ok, just reading this thread from page 2..
Did people actually say Demon is an offensive term?


To repeat earlier posts the phrase "X is an offensive term" is often used as a right wing joke to poke fun at so called SJWs who dislike, you know, offensive hate terms.

DOOM Eternal used that joke as a lazy jab.

People got annoyed by it.

End of.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Doom Eternal | PS4, XBO, PC, Switch | Rip and tear!
by Pedz » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:52 pm

Oh, ok. Fair enough.

Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Jam-Master Jay and 36 guests