Dreamcast - Official Topic

Anything to do with games at all.

Favourite Dreamcast game/series?

Chu Chu Rocket
0
No votes
Crazy Taxi
3
8%
Ecco the Dolphin : Defender of the Future
0
No votes
Grandia II
0
No votes
Headhunter
0
No votes
Jet Set Radio
3
8%
MSR
2
6%
Phantasy Star Online
1
3%
Power Stone
1
3%
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
2
6%
Rez
1
3%
Samba de Amigo
1
3%
Shenmue
11
31%
Skies of Arcadia
4
11%
Sonic Adventure
3
8%
Soul Calibur
3
8%
Space Channel 5
0
No votes
Virtua Fighter 3 tb
0
No votes
Virtua Tennis
1
3%
 
Total votes: 36
User avatar
Cal
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by Cal » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:25 am

Pred wrote:There are plenty of DC games that are really needing re-makes or sequels of some sort.


It can't be that difficult, either. Didn't DC run on Windows software, anyway? I can think of tons of DC games that could find a new lease of life on XBLA and they'd need a minimum of graphical tarting-up for the outing. It's criminal, really, how the DC's wonderful back catalogue of titles (almost the entire list ideal for XBLA) are just being forgotten...

Image
XB1X: CalUKGR PS4Pro: CalUKGR
User avatar
Pred
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by Pred » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:36 am

Cal wrote:
Pred wrote:There are plenty of DC games that are really needing re-makes or sequels of some sort.


It can't be that difficult, either. Didn't DC run on Windows software, anyway? I can think of tons of DC games that could find a new lease of life on XBLA and they'd need a minimum of graphical tarting-up for the outing. It's criminal, really, how the DC's wonderful back catalogue of titles (almost the entire list ideal for XBLA) are just being forgotten...


I think it was Windows CE as it's mentioned on the console. Maybe Microsoft should team up with Sega to create the Dreamcast 2. ;)

TravelJug
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: N. Ireland

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by TravelJug » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:16 pm

I need to get a TV and invest in a VGA cable for the DC. I was playing it through Scart a few months ago and remember still being amazed by the graphics. That things was a beast.

User avatar
consolegaming
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by consolegaming » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:40 pm

TravelJug wrote:I need to get a TV and invest in a VGA cable for the DC. I was playing it through Scart a few months ago and remember still being amazed by the graphics. That things was a beast.


The VGA cable is a must for HDTVs imo, it really reignited my love for the console, the games just look so sharp and vibrant using the cable. The official vga cable is tough to track down, i bought a GAME branded one from ebay and it seems to output a flawless picture, but if you can get the official one for under £20, i say get it!

TravelJug
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: N. Ireland

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by TravelJug » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:32 pm

consolegaming wrote:
TravelJug wrote:I need to get a TV and invest in a VGA cable for the DC. I was playing it through Scart a few months ago and remember still being amazed by the graphics. That things was a beast.


The VGA cable is a must for HDTVs imo, it really reignited my love for the console, the games just look so sharp and vibrant using the cable. The official vga cable is tough to track down, i bought a GAME branded one from ebay and it seems to output a flawless picture, but if you can get the official one for under £20, i say get it!


Will do sir. The official ones are even hard to come by on Ebay the last time I checked.

User avatar
consolegaming
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by consolegaming » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:52 pm

TravelJug wrote:
consolegaming wrote:
TravelJug wrote:I need to get a TV and invest in a VGA cable for the DC. I was playing it through Scart a few months ago and remember still being amazed by the graphics. That things was a beast.


The VGA cable is a must for HDTVs imo, it really reignited my love for the console, the games just look so sharp and vibrant using the cable. The official vga cable is tough to track down, i bought a GAME branded one from ebay and it seems to output a flawless picture, but if you can get the official one for under £20, i say get it!


Will do sir. The official ones are even hard to come by on Ebay the last time I checked.


Yeah very hard, i found it tough finding a uk based seller for a third party one!

Anyway once you get one i guarantee it will make you want to try out every game you have to see how awesome the games were, the fantastic thing is that more or less all of the major pal games supported vga so it really should not pose any problems. Anyway good luck finding one! :D

User avatar
Earfolds
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Evil Ted
Contact:

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by Earfolds » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:57 pm

I still have my Dreamcast somewhere in my house. Intact, as well. I may just dig out Shenmue and play that tomorrow, thanks GRC!

User avatar
Daniel
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by Daniel » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:27 am

So has anyone played the might Millenium Soldier Expendale then?

Image
TravelJug
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: N. Ireland

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by TravelJug » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:15 pm

consolegaming wrote:
TravelJug wrote:
consolegaming wrote:
TravelJug wrote:I need to get a TV and invest in a VGA cable for the DC. I was playing it through Scart a few months ago and remember still being amazed by the graphics. That things was a beast.


The VGA cable is a must for HDTVs imo, it really reignited my love for the console, the games just look so sharp and vibrant using the cable. The official vga cable is tough to track down, i bought a GAME branded one from ebay and it seems to output a flawless picture, but if you can get the official one for under £20, i say get it!


Will do sir. The official ones are even hard to come by on Ebay the last time I checked.


Yeah very hard, i found it tough finding a uk based seller for a third party one!

Anyway once you get one i guarantee it will make you want to try out every game you have to see how awesome the games were, the fantastic thing is that more or less all of the major pal games supported vga so it really should not pose any problems. Anyway good luck finding one! :D


I wonder how they'll look on a 32" screen!? :) I absolutely love the DC's graphics. I had it hooked up to a wee CRT with SCART and it still looked amazing. It actually was a beast.

EDIT: Just realised I already said that above. Oh well. Still true. It was DOA I was playing. I reckon the graphics of the DC still hold up to some of last gens standards towards the end of the cycle. I rememer being absolutely blown away by SA when I first saw it. Especially the killer whale part.

User avatar
consolegaming
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by consolegaming » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:46 pm

TravelJug wrote:
consolegaming wrote:
TravelJug wrote:
consolegaming wrote:
TravelJug wrote:I need to get a TV and invest in a VGA cable for the DC. I was playing it through Scart a few months ago and remember still being amazed by the graphics. That things was a beast.


The VGA cable is a must for HDTVs imo, it really reignited my love for the console, the games just look so sharp and vibrant using the cable. The official vga cable is tough to track down, i bought a GAME branded one from ebay and it seems to output a flawless picture, but if you can get the official one for under £20, i say get it!


Will do sir. The official ones are even hard to come by on Ebay the last time I checked.


Yeah very hard, i found it tough finding a uk based seller for a third party one!

Anyway once you get one i guarantee it will make you want to try out every game you have to see how awesome the games were, the fantastic thing is that more or less all of the major pal games supported vga so it really should not pose any problems. Anyway good luck finding one! :D


I wonder how they'll look on a 32" screen!? :) I absolutely love the DC's graphics. I had it hooked up to a wee CRT with SCART and it still looked amazing. It actually was a beast.

EDIT: Just realised I already said that above. Oh well. Still true. It was DOA I was playing. I reckon the graphics of the DC still hold up to some of last gens standards towards the end of the cycle. I rememer being absolutely blown away by SA when I first saw it. Especially the killer whale part.


You know, on my 26 inch samsung r74 it looks stunning!

Replaying shenmue and especially jet set radio through vga is certainly a treat, imagine if we all played it on our monitors back in the late 90's!

User avatar
OnlyShallow
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Cigarette City

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by OnlyShallow » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:35 pm

For me it has to be Jet Set Radio. It had an immense sound track, the lovely cell shading and could get hard as nails the more you got into it. Unfortunately my DC no longer works... in fact it was a bit fragile from day one. :cry:

Image
Many Lives -> 49 MP wrote:People like you OnlyShallow are terrible banana splits. I hate you forever.
User avatar
consolegaming
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by consolegaming » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:50 pm

OnlyShallow wrote:For me it has to be Jet Set Radio. It had an immense sound track, the lovely cell shading and could get hard as nails the more you got into it. Unfortunately my DC no longer works... in fact it was a bit fragile from day one. :cry:


Get one from cex or ebay, they are still going for under £20, which quite frankly is a bargain and warrants an impulse purchase!

You are right Jet Set Radio is stunning, i chose shenmue because it touched me in a way that no other games have on the dreamcast, possibly on all consoles. I also felt jet set radio was probably a little too short, possibly by two levels, but it was still a classic.

Man, the dreamcast could easily go head to head with the wii on the graphics front and even the next gen machines! ;)

User avatar
Cal
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by Cal » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:00 pm

consolegaming wrote:Man, the dreamcast could easily go head to head with the wii on the graphics front and even the next gen machines! ;)


Seriously, in the case of Soul Calibur it could definitely go against the version that came out on original XBox. There's not much of a difference in graphical quality, tbh. And in some ways, I still think SC on DC is THE definitive version.

Image
XB1X: CalUKGR PS4Pro: CalUKGR
User avatar
Earfolds
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Evil Ted
Contact:

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by Earfolds » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:21 pm

Cal wrote:
consolegaming wrote:Man, the dreamcast could easily go head to head with the wii on the graphics front and even the next gen machines! ;)


Seriously, in the case of Soul Calibur it could definitely go against the version that came out on original XBox. There's not much of a difference in graphical quality, tbh. And in some ways, I still think SC on DC is THE definitive version.

As far as the reviews were pointing around about the time I still bought Dreamcast magazines, SoulCalibur was the best game on the Dreamcast. Rated 10/10. Made me quite proud to own a copy for some reason, and I got it because I loved SoulEdge on the Playstation.

User avatar
Orbital
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by Orbital » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:59 pm

shenmue and phantasy star online. they are two great japanese games. (i actually went to china and visited the places Ryo went too - except Guilin, was too tricky, but apparently the women their look amazing, will go soon)
when i get rich i will pay Yu Suzuki a gooseberry fool ton to get a team and re make 1 & 2 then make 3 & 4. or another team to remake 1 & 2 - possibly silicone knights, they did a good job with MGS 1. ;)

User avatar
consolegaming
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by consolegaming » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:58 am

KazemI wrote:shenmue and phantasy star online. they are two great japanese games. (i actually went to china and visited the places Ryo went too - except Guilin, was too tricky, but apparently the women their look amazing, will go soon)
when i get rich i will pay Yu Suzuki a **** ton to get a team and re make 1 & 2 then make 3 & 4. or another team to remake 1 & 2 - possibly silicone knights, they did a good job with MGS 1. ;)


They showed parts of Guilin in the BBC series 'Wild China', I really want to visit that place, i am sure i will one day.

User avatar
Razilez
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Raz

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by Razilez » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:27 pm

My favourite console of all time. Nothing comes close for me, and it came around the time when gaming was still very special to me. There was something magic about that era, and I loved reading the latest Dreamcast magazines in anticipation for the upcoming titles. There was something so original about the games when it came out, with many genres being spread over such a short period of time. It was a time when Sega took chances and showed it's creative brilliance, with some fantastic results. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to save the console and it faded away just when it was getting into it's prime. It was also my first time playing a console game online; pure gaming bliss. I have over a hundred games for it and is still growing in size.

I have it hooked upto my 37" 1080p HDTV via VGA adaptor and it's beautiful. Can't get enough of it really. God bless Dreamcast.

*Salutes*

User avatar
Orbital
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by Orbital » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:56 pm

consolegaming wrote:
KazemI wrote:shenmue and phantasy star online. they are two great japanese games. (i actually went to china and visited the places Ryo went too - except Guilin, was too tricky, but apparently the women their look amazing, will go soon)
when i get rich i will pay Yu Suzuki a **** ton to get a team and re make 1 & 2 then make 3 & 4. or another team to remake 1 & 2 - possibly silicone knights, they did a good job with MGS 1. ;)


They showed parts of Guilin in the BBC series 'Wild China', I really want to visit that place, i am sure i will one day.


yeah i watched that, and the amazing thing is, it looks so similar too the game, with all the spiky looking rocks and pretty lakes and trees.

User avatar
consolegaming
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by consolegaming » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:24 pm

Razilez wrote:My favourite console of all time. Nothing comes close for me, and it came around the time when gaming was still very special to me. There was something magic about that era, and I loved reading the latest Dreamcast magazines in anticipation for the upcoming titles. There was something so original about the games when it came out, with many genres being spread over such a short period of time. It was a time when Sega took chances and showed it's creative brilliance, with some fantastic results. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to save the console and it faded away just when it was getting into it's prime. It was also my first time playing a console game online; pure gaming bliss. I have over a hundred games for it and is still growing in size.

I have it hooked upto my 37" 1080p HDTV via VGA adaptor and it's beautiful. Can't get enough of it really. God bless Dreamcast.

*Salutes*


Totally agree, it was a time when gaming really was exciting, it may also be to do with the fact that broadband only took off a few years into the dreamcasts lifespan, which meant less browsing and less news.

It was the last great console imo, truly magical, just like the n64 before it.

I really think the dreamcast back catalogue needs to be released on the wii or psn/ xbla, more gamers need to experience segas past glories and what they turned their backs on!

User avatar
Cal
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by Cal » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:33 pm

Razilez wrote:I have it hooked upto my 37" 1080p HDTV via VGA adaptor and it's beautiful.

*Salutes*


This, I envy. It's probably the best argument yet for me getting one of these new-fangled HDTV thingies. I'd love to see my DC in all it's VGA glory on one of those bad boys. :mrgreen:

Image
XB1X: CalUKGR PS4Pro: CalUKGR

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, chanticleer, PuppetBoy, Red 5 stella, Xeno and 47 guests