Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Finally! 2019

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Met
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Finally! 2019
by Met » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:22 pm

I'm up for giving this another fair shake as I've bounced off it every single time I've tried previously.

User avatar
Rubix
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol
Contact:

PostRe: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Finally! 2019
by Rubix » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Hopefully we will be able to speed up the draw system

PLAY | PS4: Tales of Vesperia, Detroit | PSVR Everybody’s Golf VR | Switch Super Mario Maker 2
WATCH | GOT S4, Angel S4, Taskmaster S8, Stranger Things S3
READ | HP and the Order of the Phoenix
User avatar
Rubix
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol
Contact:

PostRe: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Finally! 2019
by Rubix » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:27 am

In light of this announcement I’ve taken it upon myself to listen to the soundtrack today while I work

PLAY | PS4: Tales of Vesperia, Detroit | PSVR Everybody’s Golf VR | Switch Super Mario Maker 2
WATCH | GOT S4, Angel S4, Taskmaster S8, Stranger Things S3
READ | HP and the Order of the Phoenix
User avatar
FatDaz
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Finally! 2019
by FatDaz » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:28 am

Rubix wrote:Hopefully we will be able to speed up the draw system


This. I don’t mind the system although it’s fundamentally flawed in that using magic actually reduces your stats. And the slog to grind new magic is painful. A 4X speed option would really help this.

I have it on Vita and want to replay but the thought of grinding the draw system is a little off putting.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Finally! 2019
by Jenuall » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:36 am

I can't see this not having a 2/3/4x speed option like the other recent releases have so that will make a big difference. Also once you get hold of the right "Refine" abilities you shouldn't need to do that much drawing anyway!

I wouldn't say that the draw system and it's relationship to stats is a flaw necessarily- that's just part of the strategy!

ImageImage
User avatar
Rubix
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol
Contact:

PostRe: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Finally! 2019
by Rubix » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:14 am

Looking forward to some Triple Triad :wub:

PLAY | PS4: Tales of Vesperia, Detroit | PSVR Everybody’s Golf VR | Switch Super Mario Maker 2
WATCH | GOT S4, Angel S4, Taskmaster S8, Stranger Things S3
READ | HP and the Order of the Phoenix
User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Finally! 2019
by BID0 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:20 am

I completely forgot about having to draw from enemies. It's been about 18 years since I played this so it will be like playing the game again for the first time :wub:

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Finally! 2019
by Jenuall » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:44 am

Forgetting to Draw at key moments was always a struggle in this- GF's that you have one shot to get, certain magic that is very limited in availability etc.

ImageImage
User avatar
HaruKazuhira
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Finally! 2019
by HaruKazuhira » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:02 pm

Seeing some screenshots and they've really done a great job cleaning up some of the backgrounds. Obviously, it can't be crystal clear perfect but there's still a lot of attention to detail being put into this which has me stoked. Dotemu are nailing it so far.

Image
"I am the reason, the answer and the problem"
twitter
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Finally! 2019
by Ironhide » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:25 pm

Of the FF games I've played, this is the one I most wish I'd actually finished.

Think I got to a bit where you're on some space station thing trying to save Rinoa or something.

I wasn't too familiar with JRPGs at the time (probably one of the first ones I'd played) and just couldn't be bothered with the grinding.

Image
User avatar
FatDaz
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Finally! 2019
by FatDaz » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:58 pm

Ironhide wrote:Of the FF games I've played, this is the one I most wish I'd actually finished.

Think I got to a bit where you're on some space station thing trying to save Rinoa or something.

I wasn't too familiar with JRPGs at the time (probably one of the first ones I'd played) and just couldn't be bothered with the grinding.


That was a tough section if you were under geared or hadn’t optimised the draw system. I recall struggling here first time around against the alien creatures.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Finally! 2019
by Jenuall » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:21 pm

FatDaz wrote:
Ironhide wrote:Of the FF games I've played, this is the one I most wish I'd actually finished.

Think I got to a bit where you're on some space station thing trying to save Rinoa or something.

I wasn't too familiar with JRPGs at the time (probably one of the first ones I'd played) and just couldn't be bothered with the grinding.


That was a tough section if you were under geared or hadn’t optimised the draw system. I recall struggling here first time around against the alien creatures.

That bit is actually really easy, if you know what to do. But I think the game does a crap job of communicating what the actual challenge is!

ImageImage
User avatar
FatDaz
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Finally! 2019
by FatDaz » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:33 pm

Jenuall wrote:
FatDaz wrote:
Ironhide wrote:Of the FF games I've played, this is the one I most wish I'd actually finished.

Think I got to a bit where you're on some space station thing trying to save Rinoa or something.

I wasn't too familiar with JRPGs at the time (probably one of the first ones I'd played) and just couldn't be bothered with the grinding.


That was a tough section if you were under geared or hadn’t optimised the draw system. I recall struggling here first time around against the alien creatures.

That bit is actually really easy, if you know what to do. But I think the game does a crap job of communicating what the actual challenge is!


I agree and that’s probably why I struggled with a lot of the game on first play through, a theme I think is common to a lot of players. I really struggled with knowing how to switch junctioned magic when with flashback characters. A few times I accidentally had characters with no gear or magic at all.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Finally! 2019
by Jenuall » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:35 pm

FatDaz wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
FatDaz wrote:
Ironhide wrote:Of the FF games I've played, this is the one I most wish I'd actually finished.

Think I got to a bit where you're on some space station thing trying to save Rinoa or something.

I wasn't too familiar with JRPGs at the time (probably one of the first ones I'd played) and just couldn't be bothered with the grinding.


That was a tough section if you were under geared or hadn’t optimised the draw system. I recall struggling here first time around against the alien creatures.

That bit is actually really easy, if you know what to do. But I think the game does a crap job of communicating what the actual challenge is!


I agree and that’s probably why I struggled with a lot of the game on first play through, a theme I think is common to a lot of players. I really struggled with knowing how to switch junctioned magic when with flashback characters. A few times I accidentally had characters with no gear or magic at all.

I was the same, my second and subsequent playthroughs made me see the game in a much better light simply because I was spending less time fighting against the systems and had finally understood them enough to enjoy it!

ImageImage
User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Finally! 2019
by Vermilion » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:38 pm

Ironhide wrote:Think I got to a bit where you're on some space station thing trying to save Rinoa or something.


Oh god, i remember that, you had to kill the monsters in colour coded pairs otherwise they endlessly respawned.

One of the problems FF8 did have was the lack of explanation with a lot of the puzzles, hell, some of the GF unlocks (such as Doomtrain) were so ridiculously vague, no one could unlock it without reading a walkthrough first.

User avatar
Wedgie
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Finally! 2019
by Wedgie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:27 pm

Also the special cards you get for the card mini game is totally missable, if you don't play with the characters in the right place at the right time.

A lot of important moments are missable. Like if you don't have Odin by the time you fight Siefer for the last time...

Image

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.


Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Finally! 2019
by Jenuall » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:10 pm

There's a load of missable stuff, stuff that isn't explained, things that are explained but in a way that is just confusing etc. But that is half of the charm!

But it has some cracking moments too - the Dollet mission, attacking Edea at the parade (also Edea, totally would obvs :datass: ) the train heist, Garden battle...

ImageImage
User avatar
Dangerblade
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol

PostRe: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Finally! 2019
by Dangerblade » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:14 pm

One of my fav gaming memories was finally beating Omega Weapon :datass:

User avatar
SugarDave
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Finally! 2019
by SugarDave » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:23 pm

Jenuall wrote:But it has some cracking moments too - the Dollet mission, attacking Edea at the parade (also Edea, totally would obvs :datass: ) the train heist, Garden battle...


Seriously, this game is rammed with exciting sequences. Despite it being one of the FF's that I most frequently see shat on, I still look back on it with more fondness than the other entries from the PS1 / early PS2 time period. I've always been really taken with the designs, atmosphere and it has my favourite soundtrack of the bunch.

I still find those moments where you control the characters while a pre-rendered scene plays cool. I have no idea if it actually is difficult to pull off (much more so back then, I'm sure) but I at least feel like I should be impressed every time. :lol:

User avatar
Wedgie
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Finally! 2019
by Wedgie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:22 am

Also the gun blades is much more an icon weapon in a Final Fantasy game.

I like it that you can manually trigger the critical hits while using Squall’s basic attack.

Image

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.


Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Balladeer, GrinWithoutaKat, kazanova_Frankenstein, mcjihge2, Met, mic, Monkey Man, Ploiper, Poser, PuppetBoy and 52 guests