Food and Cooking Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by Ironhide » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:41 pm

I wonder how much bird gooseberry fool, flies and christ knows what else ends up in it during the three days outside.

Image
User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:54 am

still wrote:
Knoyleo wrote:
LewisD wrote:I got Babish's "Eat what you watch" book for my birthday yesterday.

:wub: Babish

I got that for Christmas. It's great. Can't wait to make the fish tacos, even if I've never seen the film they're from.

On the subject of YouTube food:



That was so satisfying to watch.


That was actually really interesting. Nearly turned it off due to the repeated Americanism of tom-ey-to... but stuck with it and I’m glad I did.

Been cooking a lot of spaghetti bolognese lately using a lot of tomato puree, so that was interesting to watch :)

bear
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by bear » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:09 pm

I'm not sure if I've posted this up here before I think all of you should try the stewed onions from this video.



I haven't bothered making a butter burger yet but the onions are fantastic. They're great in omelettes as well. :datass:


FAO all the onions haters: strawberry float off and die in a ditch you banana splits.

I think that covers everything.

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by Ironhide » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:05 pm

That burger looked great until he ruined it with a metric fucktonne of butter.

Image
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by Ironhide » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:26 pm



The end bit :lol:

Image
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by Alvin Flummux » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:27 pm



Oh my! :wub: Need to try this.

User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by Saint of Killers » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:23 am

Because it's so hot outside, I thought eating cool oats would be better than having blisteringly hot ones. So I decided to make overnight oats for the first time and... wow.

I went for 1 cup oats (rolled, obviously), Stevia, cinnamon, apple slices and drenched the whole lot in unsweetened almond milk. I then stuck 'em in the fridge and left 'em overnight.

I just had them for breakfast and they were seriously the best oats ever. They were super soft thanks to the prolonged soaking in almond milk, but the apples still had their bite and so I wasn't just eating a big bowl of mush. I think this is how I'll be having oats until it gets cold again.

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:25 pm

Damn just had my deliveroo order stolen or something?!? no show but was marked as delivered. maybe the rider got hungry :lol:
Fair doos to deliveroo customer service who reordered for me straight away and gave me £5 credit

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by KK » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:46 pm

I've been trying various vegan and vegetarian foods this past month and I've been really impressed with pretty much all of it. There's this new brand called Naturli that makes faux beef mince/burgers and they're really delicious. The burgers even 'bleed out' as a bit of a novelty. I spotted them next to the beef in Sainsbury's, which I thought was very unusual placement for a vegan product, so I decided what the hell and bought it. So glad I did. I can honestly say I didn't miss the fact it wasn't genuine meat whatsoever, it was that tasty.

I tried Higgidy Porcini Mushroom & Spinach Pie; & Spinach, Feta & Roasted Pepper Quiche alongside a salad, jacket potato or Sainsbury's Butternut Squash & Spinach Croquettes as well and that was excellent too.

I'm not saying I'm turning vegetarian or anything, but I've certainly not missed swapping out the meat a few times a week.

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by Lagamorph » Mon May 06, 2019 3:58 pm

Ok chefs of GRcade, I need some help.

I bought a steak at the weekend from the butchers, but I've got no idea how the strawberry float to cook this thing,
Image

So uh, any ideas?

My brother has suggested,
1) Cut out the bone
2) Cook it in a frying pan for 3-4 minutes per side on a low heat
3) Put in the oven at 120C for about 20 minutes

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by Ironhide » Mon May 06, 2019 4:06 pm

Looks like a tomahawk steak.

Keep the bone in, it'll shrivel up without it and probably not taste as nice.

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by Lagamorph » Mon May 06, 2019 9:49 pm

That's exactly what it is now I look it up!

I did find this link, https://www.allaboutamummy.co.uk/blog/h ... beye-steak

1. Preheat oven to 180. Unwrap the steak and allow it to come to room temperature.

2. Seasonal well with salt and pepper. Wrap some foil around the bone end so you can use it as a handle

3. Add some oil to a griddle pan and turn up the heat. Sear the meat for about 2minutes each side.

4. Place the joint in an oven dish and roast for approx 25mins for medium.

5. Allow the meat to rest for 10minutes then slice across the grain to serve

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Albear
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by Albear » Tue May 07, 2019 9:09 am

I personally never bother with the oven for steak. 3 mins each side on high heat and then 10 mins rest tends to get you a nice medium rare steak. 4 mins if its a really thick cut.

Leave the bone in, more flavour.

User avatar
Albear
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by Albear » Tue May 07, 2019 9:14 am

lewisd wrote:.


Help a a laga out.

User avatar
LewisD
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Contact:

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by LewisD » Tue May 07, 2019 9:34 am

Lagamorph wrote:Ok chefs of GRcade, I need some help.
I bought a steak at the weekend from the butchers, but I've got no idea how the strawberry float to cook this thing


Your best bet with that Steak, given that it's a Tomahawk is the very Trendy "Reverse Sear" method.

The benefit of this is that it is wall-to-wall pink, perfectly even all the way through. Trying to cook this monster in a pan first would probably result in the parts up by the bone being too well-done with an uneven cooking temperature throughout.

Essentially, you cook it in the oven at a lowish heat so it's still pink in the middle (take it out of the fridge about an hour before hand so it's not cold), then take it out, and get a pan really really strawberry floating hot and you char the outside of the bastard.


Serious Eats will explain it better than me:
https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how ... steak.html

If it had been a different cut, perhaps something not quite as manly, like a Sirloin or a rump, frying in a pan with a tonne of butter, crushed garlic cloves and a thyme sprig would be better.

Oh, and the most important thing of course - as with any meat - is to LET IT REST BEFORE YOU CUT INTO IT!.
One of my old chefs explained resting to meat to me like this:

If you imagined putting your arse cheeks onto a scorching hot pan, your arse muscles are going to tense up and go hard.
If you then cut into that arse cheek, it'll be like wringing out a sponge, all the moisture will come out..Let the meat relax back to normal, then cut into it.

Proud member of the Two-Exxers.
u ok hun xx
*Banned from commenting on "The perfect example"*
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by Lagamorph » Tue May 07, 2019 9:43 am

LewisD wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:Ok chefs of GRcade, I need some help.
I bought a steak at the weekend from the butchers, but I've got no idea how the strawberry float to cook this thing


Your best bet with that Steak, given that it's a Tomahawk is the very Trendy "Reverse Sear" method.

The benefit of this is that it is wall-to-wall pink, perfectly even all the way through. Trying to cook this monster in a pan first would probably result in the parts up by the bone being too well-done with an uneven cooking temperature throughout.

Essentially, you cook it in the oven at a lowish heat so it's still pink in the middle (take it out of the fridge about an hour before hand so it's not cold), then take it out, and get a pan really really strawberry floating hot and you char the outside of the bastard.


Serious Eats will explain it better than me:
https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how ... steak.html

If it had been a different cut, perhaps something not quite as manly, like a Sirloin or a rump, frying in a pan with a tonne of butter, crushed garlic cloves and a thyme sprig would be better.

Oh, and the most important thing of course - as with any meat - is to LET IT REST BEFORE YOU CUT INTO IT!.
One of my old chefs explained resting to meat to me like this:

If you imagined putting your arse cheeks onto a scorching hot pan, your arse muscles are going to tense up and go hard.
If you then cut into that arse cheek, it'll be like wringing out a sponge, all the moisture will come out..Let the meat relax back to normal, then cut into it.

Thanks!!

Though my downfall here may be the lack of a thermometer. Any idea roughly how long this might need to go in the oven for at about 100-120 degrees?

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Under the raft

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by Jenuall » Tue May 07, 2019 2:10 pm

Cooking a steak with a reverse sear method is a truly top end experience. :datass:

But how any story about putting your arse into a hot pan is supposed to help someone comprehend the value of resting meat I'm not sure I understand! :lol:

ImageImage
User avatar
LewisD
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Contact:

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by LewisD » Tue May 07, 2019 3:49 pm

Jenuall wrote:But how any story about putting your arse into a hot pan is supposed to help someone comprehend the value of resting meat I'm not sure I understand! :lol:


To be fair, at the time I was quite confused why he didn't just demonstrate with a piece of meat.
You can literally see the meat recoil from the shock of the heat.. but his explanation always stuck in my head.. probably because of stupid it was :lol:

Proud member of the Two-Exxers.
u ok hun xx
*Banned from commenting on "The perfect example"*
User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by Poser » Tue May 07, 2019 4:02 pm

LewisD wrote:
Jenuall wrote:But how any story about putting your arse into a hot pan is supposed to help someone comprehend the value of resting meat I'm not sure I understand! :lol:


To be fair, at the time I was quite confused why he didn't just demonstrate with a piece of meat.
You can literally see the meat recoil from the shock of the heat.. but his explanation always stuck in my head.. probably because of stupid it was :lol:


It's not a million miles a from the scallop/bellend comparison. A perfectly-cooked scallop should feel like the tip of a penis. :datass:

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by Lagamorph » Tue May 07, 2019 4:03 pm

LewisD wrote:
Jenuall wrote:But how any story about putting your arse into a hot pan is supposed to help someone comprehend the value of resting meat I'm not sure I understand! :lol:


To be fair, at the time I was quite confused why he didn't just demonstrate with a piece of meat.
You can literally see the meat recoil from the shock of the heat.. but his explanation always stuck in my head.. probably because of stupid it was :lol:

One more question, not arse in pan related.

Someone at work has recommended wrapping/covering the steak with foil whilst it's in the oven.

Yay or nay?

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 60 guests