Food and Cooking Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
SandyCoin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: London

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by SandyCoin » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:59 pm

Tomous wrote:Anyone got any recommendations for a bean to cup coffee machine? Keen to get one, as I do enjoy my coffee but don't really know where to start.


I've been looking at these recently, and it seems to get any kind of genuinely good one you have to spend about half a grand. For espresso anyway, though they will obviously never be as good as ones that cost thousands. The SAGE models are supposed to do a decent job https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sage-BES875UK-Barista-Express-Stainless/dp/B077YZXR1W/ref=sr_1_20?dchild=1&keywords=bean+to+cup&qid=1603195021&sr=8-20, but obviously pricey.

I just use my moka pot, aeropress or ceramic filter, and just go to a shop for a proper espresso as there's no way I'm gonna achieve anything like that at home sadly.

-----> My Illustration Blog | My Shop <------
User avatar
Bunni
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by Bunni » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:05 pm

You get get a decent Sage model on ebay (refurbished) for half the price. In fact you can get most things refurbished for half the price. My Nespresso machine came in a regular brown box and my digital radio came in a box with a different radio on the front.

User avatar
andretmzt
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Fareham

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by andretmzt » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:51 pm

We got a Delonghi Autentica nearly a year ago and it has been fantastic. Only thing we need to do is keep the beans and water topped up, clean the drip/grains tray and periodically descale it. Does everything else itself at the push of a button and I've been impressed with the results. The coffee is better than when we were just using a cafetiere. The milk frother is pretty good too. Not up to par compared to a proper machine but good enough to make a good cappuccino.

We did get it at about half price though, using a gift and a Black Friday sale. However having had it for a while now, I think it would be worth paying the full price for, if I had the spare change knocking around.

HSH28 wrote:No Last Guardian.
No new exclusive PS4 games.
No longer free MP for PS4.

Microsoft win E3.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by Tomous » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:34 pm

Thanks for responses all :D

andretmzt wrote:We got a Delonghi Autentica nearly a year ago and it has been fantastic. Only thing we need to do is keep the beans and water topped up, clean the drip/grains tray and periodically descale it. Does everything else itself at the push of a button and I've been impressed with the results. The coffee is better than when we were just using a cafetiere. The milk frother is pretty good too. Not up to par compared to a proper machine but good enough to make a good cappuccino.

We did get it at about half price though, using a gift and a Black Friday sale. However having had it for a while now, I think it would be worth paying the full price for, if I had the spare change knocking around.



How long do you usually take to clean it out of curiosity?

Image
User avatar
andretmzt
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Fareham

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by andretmzt » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:55 pm

I've never bothered to note it down, but I think the machine signals the drip tray needs emptying every 8-10 single espressos (might be 16-20 if the machine makes two espressos from a single grind). It's only for the grounds really. The drip tray could be left for the next clean as it only tends to get water in when the machine cleans itself when turned on/off.

I empty the grounds and water, give everything a wipe down and dry. Takes a couple of minutes. Or 15 seconds if you are like my girlfriend and only do the grounds. :dread:

Descaling takes ~15 minutes and it's mostly automatic. All we need to do is refill the water a few times during the process. Difficulty here is actually finding a container that can fit on the tray and hold ~750-950ml of water (the capacity of the water tank). We've had to descale it, 6 times in 11 months I think.

HSH28 wrote:No Last Guardian.
No new exclusive PS4 games.
No longer free MP for PS4.

Microsoft win E3.
User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by Errkal » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:21 am

Image

Vegetarian Carbonara made with Vegan Sausages, it was very very nice, I can recommend the Tesco PlantChef Cumberland Style Sasusages enough they are brilliant.

User avatar
Albear
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Food and Cooking Thread
by Albear » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:15 am

Tomous wrote:Thanks for responses all :D

andretmzt wrote:We got a Delonghi Autentica nearly a year ago and it has been fantastic. Only thing we need to do is keep the beans and water topped up, clean the drip/grains tray and periodically descale it. Does everything else itself at the push of a button and I've been impressed with the results. The coffee is better than when we were just using a cafetiere. The milk frother is pretty good too. Not up to par compared to a proper machine but good enough to make a good cappuccino.

We did get it at about half price though, using a gift and a Black Friday sale. However having had it for a while now, I think it would be worth paying the full price for, if I had the spare change knocking around.



How long do you usually take to clean it out of curiosity?


Also have a Delonghi (magnifica S), and would recommend. https://www.delonghi.com/en-int/products/coffee/coffee-makers/bean-to-cup/magnifica-s-ecam-22110sb-0132213029


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dab, darksideby182, DayumChris, Dowbocop, El Contador, Joer, kerr9000, Lex-Man, Neo Cortex, Peter Crisp, poshrule_uk, Rich, Robbo-92, Tineash, Wedgie and 188 guests