General Games Chat; The Chat Thread!

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
HaruKazuhira
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: General Games Chat; The Chat Thread!
by HaruKazuhira » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:04 pm

Oh lorrrd, the antics my and my cousins would get up to back in those Sky Games days. Beehive Bedlam was taken so seriously among us. I remember it would always be the event whenever we'd visit them lol. I also remember that Mummy game where you had to collect the keys. Used to creep me out as a kid.

User avatar
Wedgie
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: General Games Chat; The Chat Thread!
by Wedgie » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:57 am

Finished all the Deponia games on PS4.

Good if you love point and click style games, like Monkey Island. Well recommended.

Image

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.


Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: General Games Chat; The Chat Thread!
by Ironhide » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:32 pm

Wedgie wrote:Finished all the Deponia games on PS4.

Good if you love point and click style games, like Monkey Island. Well recommended.


I've played and finished the first two and yes, they're great, really ought to get round to the others at some point.

My only gripe with the series is that some of the jokes don't quite 'land' properly but I guess that's down to the games originally being in German so there's been something lost during translation.

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: General Games Chat; The Chat Thread!
by Saint of Killers » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:05 am


They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: General Games Chat; The Chat Thread!
by KK » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:17 am

No demo for FIFA 21, for the first time in at least 20 years:


Image
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: General Games Chat; The Chat Thread!
by Lotus » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:01 am

The demise of demos in the PS4/Xbox One era was such a shame, especially compared to the previous generation. On 360 every XBLA title had a demo, and it felt like there was always a new demo of a 'bigger' game that was available. With a lot of new releases, you just expected there to be a demo, and there often was. I bought so many games because of playing and enjoying the demo so much. I thought the trend would continue, but there are so few available now on PS4, and I guess publishers just can't be arsed anymore. It's a shame.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: General Games Chat; The Chat Thread!
by OrangeRKN » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:26 am

PS2 was the best for all those magazine demo discs

I think I read that demos actually reduce sales in many instances which is partly why they are in decline

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: General Games Chat; The Chat Thread!
by KK » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:01 pm

For some reason PS2 demos weren’t as popular as they were on PS1, despite the userbase being much bigger. I don’t know if it was the magazine itself that was the problem (OPS2 had sales half that of OPM and for the majority of its run wasn’t as good) or if GAME’s notorious policy of allowing you to return games for a full refund hurt the demo market. Blockbuster and Choices had also started running Rent One Get One Half Price/Free promotions, meaning you could try 2 games for under a fiver.

Their popularity returned again however with the arrival of the Xbox 360 and ability to download them all for naff all.

Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: General Games Chat; The Chat Thread!
by OrangeRKN » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:32 pm

For me PS2 was definitely the peak because before that we had an N64 (if only demo carts had been a thing!) and after that was PS3 (hardly downloaded any demos, the only one I really remember is Just Cause 2) and Wii (downloaded none at all, I don't know if demos on Wii even existed).

I think digital demos are just less accessible because you need to already have interest enough in the game specifically to find and download a demo for it. What would suit me better is getting a bundle of demos every month downloaded together so they can be dabbled with and maybe find something I didn't even know existed from playing its demo.

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: General Games Chat; The Chat Thread!
by Jenuall » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:37 pm

Streaming might bring about a resurgence in demos, or at least some form of letting you get a taste for a game without needing to buy it or download the whole thing.

I do miss the days of demo discs though. As a kid we couldn't really afford many actual new games so we would play the few we had to death and then just devour whatever demos would come on the floppy disk that came with the Amiga magazine my dad sometimes bought for us. :wub:

Image
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: General Games Chat; The Chat Thread!
by Corazon de Leon » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:41 pm

Not being able to play demos on the Nintendo consoles was the worst part of being a hardcore Nintendo kid. I got to have a go at Kula World off a PS1 demo and it was magnificent. :wub:

Image
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: General Games Chat; The Chat Thread!
by Tomous » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:41 pm

Lotus wrote:The demise of demos in the PS4/Xbox One era was such a shame, especially compared to the previous generation. On 360 every XBLA title had a demo, and it felt like there was always a new demo of a 'bigger' game that was available. With a lot of new releases, you just expected there to be a demo, and there often was. I bought so many games because of playing and enjoying the demo so much. I thought the trend would continue, but there are so few available now on PS4, and I guess publishers just can't be arsed anymore. It's a shame.



I think they realised in a lot of cases, demos hurt sales more than anything. They were losing more fence sitters after trying the game than they were gaining.

Or at the least, the gain wasn't worth it from the resource needed to put a demo together.

Image
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: General Games Chat; The Chat Thread!
by Knoyleo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:55 am

League of Legends/Riot games have decided that a good marketing strategy is to set up a twitter account in the guise of one of their K-pop idol style characters, who does lots of pretend Internet sad girl posts and also one of the reasons she's sad is because she comes from a place where power comes from the souls of a genocided race, trapped inside crystals or something.





More example horror show tweets below










User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: General Games Chat; The Chat Thread!
by KK » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:31 pm

Just seen that they're bringing back Who Wants To Be A Millionaire on PS4, Xbox and Switch:

The famous TV game show is back with multiplayer modes for families and friends!

Image
Image
Image

The game includes the main hallmarks of the show – the iconic music, tv set and catchphrases! “Is that your final answer?”

Single player modes – Adult mode (15 normal questions as in the TV show) and Children mode (All questions are easier and focused on a child’s environment)

Local multiplayer modes – Cooperation mode, Every man for himself, Each one in turn, and Family mode!

And an online battle royale mode! 100 players start the quiz where the last man standing is the big winner!

Do you have what it takes to become a Millionaire? Who Wants To Be A Millionaire is based around the world famous TV show!

The candidate is alone, facing the host. The goal is to answer 12 or 15 "4-choice" questions in a row, without making any mistake. The candidate can use 3 jokers (called "lifelines") to answer difficult questions: 50:50, Phone a friend and Ask the audience.

The game includes the main hallmarks of the show – the iconic music, tv set and catchphrases! "Is that your final answer?"

By winning games, you will earn some rewards called Neurons. The Neurons will allow the players to unlock extra question packs and can be spent in the in-game shop ! The question packs contains Expert categories on pop culture themes such as TV shows, Harry Potter, Football, etc.

Releases 29th October 2020 RRP: £34.99

It somehow manages to look worse than the PS2 version with the twitching Tarrant, which is quite the achievement. A budget title masquerading as a full priced release. Couldn't even afford Clarkson!

Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: General Games Chat; The Chat Thread!
by OrangeRKN » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:00 pm

Knoyleo wrote:League of Legends/Riot games have decided that a good marketing strategy is to set up a twitter account in the guise of one of their K-pop idol style characters, who does lots of pretend Internet sad girl posts and also one of the reasons she's sad is because she comes from a place where power comes from the souls of a genocided race, trapped inside crystals or something.


I can't understand the replies and conversations people are having with this fictional character. Parasocial stuff is weird man

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern
User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: General Games Chat; The Chat Thread!
by Frank » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:20 pm

KK wrote:Just seen that they're bringing back Who Wants To Be A Millionaire on PS4, Xbox and Switch:

The famous TV game show is back with multiplayer modes for families and friends!

Image
Image
Image

The game includes the main hallmarks of the show – the iconic music, tv set and catchphrases! “Is that your final answer?”

Single player modes – Adult mode (15 normal questions as in the TV show) and Children mode (All questions are easier and focused on a child’s environment)

Local multiplayer modes – Cooperation mode, Every man for himself, Each one in turn, and Family mode!

And an online battle royale mode! 100 players start the quiz where the last man standing is the big winner!

Do you have what it takes to become a Millionaire? Who Wants To Be A Millionaire is based around the world famous TV show!

The candidate is alone, facing the host. The goal is to answer 12 or 15 "4-choice" questions in a row, without making any mistake. The candidate can use 3 jokers (called "lifelines") to answer difficult questions: 50:50, Phone a friend and Ask the audience.

The game includes the main hallmarks of the show – the iconic music, tv set and catchphrases! "Is that your final answer?"

By winning games, you will earn some rewards called Neurons. The Neurons will allow the players to unlock extra question packs and can be spent in the in-game shop ! The question packs contains Expert categories on pop culture themes such as TV shows, Harry Potter, Football, etc.

Releases 29th October 2020 RRP: £34.99

It somehow manages to look worse than the PS2 version with the twitching Tarrant, which is quite the achievement. A budget title masquerading as a full priced release. Couldn't even afford Clarkson!


There's a Family Fortunes (well, "Family Feud") game coming out next month, too! Good few weeks for gameshow games :shifty:

No chance I'm paying £35 for WWTBAM though.

Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: General Games Chat; The Chat Thread!
by OrangeRKN » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:29 pm

Frank wrote:No chance I'm paying £35 for WWTBAM though.


Mate you only need to get the first question right and you've more than made your money back

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chocolate-Milk, Fade and 76 guests