GRcade Retro Gaming Chat

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Cheeky Devlin » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:08 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:Any recommendations for N64 pad purchases?
The original gold pad I have at the moment 'works' but the analogue stick is pretty naff. It seems to have a massive dead zone so small movements around the centre aren't recognised, which is pretty bad in Rogue Squadron where you need to make fairly tight/accurate moves, rather than only being able to lurch all the way in one direction.

I've no experience with them myself, but I'm sure I've heard good things about the Retro-Bit controller.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Retro-Bit-Trib ... 037&sr=8-1

Not sure I like the design of that pad. I get it's trying to give it a more modern look but something about it...I think the central D-Pad is just weirding me out :lol:

They've got more traditional ones on their Amazon store.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/node/37 ... 3719304031

Again, no personal experience but Retro-Bit have a decent reputation I believe.

EDIT: Actually those are USB ones. Ah well, the search continues.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Drumstick » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:19 pm

@Cora

Mario Party 3 CIB very good condition going on eBay, £160 buy it now. Get in there!

Last edited by Drumstick on Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
kerr9000
Member
Joined in 2013

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by kerr9000 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:38 pm

I grabbed a Metalic pink DS lite with a paw print on it and charger for £15.

Also grabbed Super RC Pro Am cart only for Gameboy for £3

http://kerr9000.blogspot.co.uk/ For my Blog... https://www.youtube.com/user/kerr9000 for my YouTube channel. kerr9000_blog on Instagram. kerr9000 on Xbox, PS4 etc
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by IAmTheSaladMan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:58 pm

Did a little tour of charity shops, pawn shops and CeX stores around the North East today.

Got a complete boxed copy of the Book of Spells Wonderbook game with a PlayStation Eye and a Move controller on PS3 for £6 in a Barnardo’s which looks to be brand new but I haven’t actually opened it to check yet.

From a Cash Generator I picked up Anna Kournikova’s Smash Court Tennis for £1, The World is Not Enough for £1 and Tomorrow Never Dies for £4 all on PlayStation and complete in box.

Finally from a CeX I picked up Galleon for £1 and Serious Sam 2 for £4 both for original XBOX and both complete.

There was a little flea market in South Shields today but all I could find was the usual copies of EA Sports games you tend to see.

Image

Image
User avatar
kerr9000
Member
Joined in 2013

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by kerr9000 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:16 pm

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:Did a little tour of charity shops, pawn shops and CeX stores around the North East today.

Got a complete boxed copy of the Book of Spells Wonderbook game with a PlayStation Eye and a Move controller on PS3 for £6 in a Barnardo’s which looks to be brand new but I haven’t actually opened it to check yet.

From a Cash Generator I picked up Anna Kournikova’s Smash Court Tennis for £1, The World is Not Enough for £1 and Tomorrow Never Dies for £4 all on PlayStation and complete in box.

Finally from a CeX I picked up Galleon for £1 and Serious Sam 2 for £4 both for original XBOX and both complete.

There was a little flea market in South Shields today but all I could find was the usual copies of EA Sports games you tend to see.


Brilliant find with book of spells there, more than worth it for the move controller.

I went in a charity shop the other day and there was 15 copies of fifa £1.99 each and then went in an indy shop and it was all EA sports and Sonic 1's , and it was like £7.99 for the fifa's and maddens each on megadrive and £14.99 for sonic, I couldnt believe it. its funny to think that apparently loads of fifas and such got destroyed years ago by game and yet you still see so many.

http://kerr9000.blogspot.co.uk/ For my Blog... https://www.youtube.com/user/kerr9000 for my YouTube channel. kerr9000_blog on Instagram. kerr9000 on Xbox, PS4 etc
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by IAmTheSaladMan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:23 pm

kerr9000 wrote:
IAmTheSaladMan wrote:Did a little tour of charity shops, pawn shops and CeX stores around the North East today.

Got a complete boxed copy of the Book of Spells Wonderbook game with a PlayStation Eye and a Move controller on PS3 for £6 in a Barnardo’s which looks to be brand new but I haven’t actually opened it to check yet.

From a Cash Generator I picked up Anna Kournikova’s Smash Court Tennis for £1, The World is Not Enough for £1 and Tomorrow Never Dies for £4 all on PlayStation and complete in box.

Finally from a CeX I picked up Galleon for £1 and Serious Sam 2 for £4 both for original XBOX and both complete.

There was a little flea market in South Shields today but all I could find was the usual copies of EA Sports games you tend to see.


Brilliant find with book of spells there, more than worth it for the move controller.

I went in a charity shop the other day and there was 15 copies of fifa £1.99 each and then went in an indy shop and it was all EA sports and Sonic 1's , and it was like £7.99 for the fifa's and maddens each on megadrive and £14.99 for sonic, I couldnt believe it. its funny to think that apparently loads of fifas and such got destroyed years ago by game and yet you still see so many.


I already have a game only copy of Book of Spells somewhere but wanted the Move controller and it was a great price.

Image

Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Green Gecko » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:28 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:Any recommendations for N64 pad purchases?
The original gold pad I have at the moment 'works' but the analogue stick is pretty naff. It seems to have a massive dead zone so small movements around the centre aren't recognised, which is pretty bad in Rogue Squadron where you need to make fairly tight/accurate moves, rather than only being able to lurch all the way in one direction.

I've no experience with them myself, but I'm sure I've heard good things about the Retro-Bit controller.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Retro-Bit-Trib ... 037&sr=8-1

Not sure I like the design of that pad. I get it's trying to give it a more modern look but something about it...I think the central D-Pad is just weirding me out :lol:

You can also try an original or aftermarket n64 pad with a replacement GameCube analogue stick. There's supposed to be some issues with some games but it does pretty much eliminate the problem.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
User avatar
Lime
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lime

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Lime » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:15 am

Not sure if this has been posted in here already, but this is a pretty amazing port of Super Mario Bros to the ZX Spectrum 128k



Awesome!

I did notice the 'underground' theme in level 2 seems to have been replaced with the theme to 'Dr Snuggles' :lol:

The above post is followed by a winky, smiley or facepalm as appropriate.
3ds - 0946-2364-6907
Wii U - Monkeylime

WorkerScore: 1
Tasks To Next rank : 9
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Lagamorph » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:27 pm

So I'm looking at getting a modded Xbox (Original Xbox), but looking on eBay I have no idea what I should be looking for. Some are Soft Modded and some are Hard Modded, some say they have "Unleash X", some say they have "XBMC-Emustation", some don't specify.

What the hell do I need to look for? What I'm ideally looking for is the ability to play disc based Xbox games (PAL or NTSC), the ability to rip Xbox game discs to the HDD and/or the ability to transfer Xbox games between the Xbox and a PC for backing up.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by IAmTheSaladMan » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:54 am

Few more pickups today (likely the last this month), all from a local CeX.

White DS Lite £32, New Super Mario Brothers £15, Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood £6 and Contact £4.

The DS itslef cost a little more than I wanted to pay but I’ve been wanting a first gen DS for a while and it was there in the shop so I picked it up.

Seemed a little temperamental at first, like it wouldn’t always read game cards but it seems okay now.

Image

Image
User avatar
kerr9000
Member
Joined in 2013

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by kerr9000 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:10 am

Lagamorph wrote:So I'm looking at getting a modded Xbox (Original Xbox), but looking on eBay I have no idea what I should be looking for. Some are Soft Modded and some are Hard Modded, some say they have "Unleash X", some say they have "XBMC-Emustation", some don't specify.

What the hell do I need to look for? What I'm ideally looking for is the ability to play disc based Xbox games (PAL or NTSC), the ability to rip Xbox game discs to the HDD and/or the ability to transfer Xbox games between the Xbox and a PC for backing up.


I'd go for hard modded, basically because that means there's a chip soldered in that makes it read unofficial discs, if the programming on it ever goes wrong you can download another setup disc online and set it up again easily. I personally like XBMC .

http://kerr9000.blogspot.co.uk/ For my Blog... https://www.youtube.com/user/kerr9000 for my YouTube channel. kerr9000_blog on Instagram. kerr9000 on Xbox, PS4 etc
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Lagamorph » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:22 am

kerr9000 wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:So I'm looking at getting a modded Xbox (Original Xbox), but looking on eBay I have no idea what I should be looking for. Some are Soft Modded and some are Hard Modded, some say they have "Unleash X", some say they have "XBMC-Emustation", some don't specify.

What the hell do I need to look for? What I'm ideally looking for is the ability to play disc based Xbox games (PAL or NTSC), the ability to rip Xbox game discs to the HDD and/or the ability to transfer Xbox games between the Xbox and a PC for backing up.


I'd go for hard modded, basically because that means there's a chip soldered in that makes it read unofficial discs, if the programming on it ever goes wrong you can download another setup disc online and set it up again easily. I personally like XBMC .

Cheers, I'll look for a hard modded one. From what I gather there's a few different chips, is one any better than the others?

And is XBMC like UnleashX in that it let's you play ripped games from the hard drive?

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Lazy Fair
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Lazy Fair » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:57 am

Anyone got any recommendations for a decent solution to connect a big standard PAL n64 to a HDTV? I have an S-Video Cable but no S-Video input on my current TV, not sure if that helps?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3DS code - 2707 1618 5652
Let me know if you add me!
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Drumstick » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:06 am

Lazy Fair wrote:Anyone got any recommendations for a decent solution to connect a big standard PAL n64 to a HDTV? I have an S-Video Cable but no S-Video input on my current TV, not sure if that helps?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://n64today.com/2018/03/13/ultrahdmi-n64-guide/

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
kerr9000
Member
Joined in 2013

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by kerr9000 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:20 am

I have xbmc on my nodded Xbox I downloaded it years ago it does everything you'd need.

http://kerr9000.blogspot.co.uk/ For my Blog... https://www.youtube.com/user/kerr9000 for my YouTube channel. kerr9000_blog on Instagram. kerr9000 on Xbox, PS4 etc
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Cheeky Devlin » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:38 am

Drumstick wrote:
Lazy Fair wrote:Anyone got any recommendations for a decent solution to connect a big standard PAL n64 to a HDTV? I have an S-Video Cable but no S-Video input on my current TV, not sure if that helps?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://n64today.com/2018/03/13/ultrahdmi-n64-guide/


I'm going to be getting one of these as soon as I can (Probably after Christmas).

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SUP ... HDMI-CABLE

It's not got all the features of the UltraHDMI mod, but it's much cheaper and it also works on SNES, Super Famicom and GameCube.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Cheeky Devlin » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:50 pm

Todays acquisition.

Image

:wub:

Controllers are a little more yellowed than I would have liked, but that's something I can potentially sort down the road.

Cable length is really short though. Guess it was designed for those tiny Japanese homes.

Had to use my Mega Drive PSU for the moment until my dedicated one arrives but it works perfectly.

It looks great on my CRT as well. The RGB cable I picked up from Retrogamecables gives a fantastic, sharp image.

So up next I'll be (hopefully) picking up some more boxed games for it at the weekend, with an SD2SNES by the end of the month. :wub: :wub:

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
Jazzem
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Jazzem » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:06 am

Cheeky Devlin wrote:Todays acquisition.

Image

:wub:

Controllers are a little more yellowed than I would have liked, but that's something I can potentially sort down the road.

Cable length is really short though. Guess it was designed for those tiny Japanese homes.

Had to use my Mega Drive PSU for the moment until my dedicated one arrives but it works perfectly.

It looks great on my CRT as well. The RGB cable I picked up from Retrogamecables gives a fantastic, sharp image.

So up next I'll be (hopefully) picking up some more boxed games for it at the weekend, with an SD2SNES by the end of the month. :wub: :wub:


Wow, amazing get!

I understand the SD2SNES basically supports all the games with special chips in them now too, aside from some Japan only Mahjong games or similar. Getting the white whale in Mario RPG working on there was a particularly great milestone

User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:22 am

Jazzem wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:Todays acquisition.

Image

:wub:

Controllers are a little more yellowed than I would have liked, but that's something I can potentially sort down the road.

Cable length is really short though. Guess it was designed for those tiny Japanese homes.

Had to use my Mega Drive PSU for the moment until my dedicated one arrives but it works perfectly.

It looks great on my CRT as well. The RGB cable I picked up from Retrogamecables gives a fantastic, sharp image.

So up next I'll be (hopefully) picking up some more boxed games for it at the weekend, with an SD2SNES by the end of the month. :wub: :wub:


Wow, amazing get!

I understand the SD2SNES basically supports all the games with special chips in them now too, aside from some Japan only Mahjong games or similar. Getting the white whale in Mario RPG working on there was a particularly great milestone

Yeah that's why I'm going for that one over the Super Everdrive. The compatibility is much higher (I think it's almost 100%), so it's worth the extra cost. It's also got MSU1 support (That community made expansion chip that allows the SNES to use CD quality audio and video) so I can use those games on original hardware.

Looking forward to getting a couple more boxed games. I'm going for stuff that I didn't already own for my PAL SNES (Apart from Metroid), so Street Fighter II Turbo and Yoshi's Island are my two main targets. I may get OG Street Fighter II and Mario World just to compare them with the PAL versions though.

The good thing is that boxed copies for a lot of these are quite reasonable, usually around the £20 mark.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by IAmTheSaladMan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:37 am

Super Famicom games are usually pretty cheap. You see bins of every game imaginable for sale at conventions. The box art is usually awesome too.

Image

Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Parksey, Peter Crisp and 57 guests