GRcade Retro Gaming Chat

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
jawa4
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by jawa4 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:14 pm



Some folk still produce a magazine containing type-in listings... gee! :o .

User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Hyperion » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:37 pm

jawa4 wrote:

Some folk still produce a magazine containing type-in listings... gee! :o .


Think you mean some Volk

Image
User avatar
jawa4
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by jawa4 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:59 pm

Hyperion wrote:Think you mean some Volk

Hee! Yeah, I did notice that it was some German fans... I like their dedication in continuing an old computing tradition!

User avatar
kerr9000
Member
Joined in 2013
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by kerr9000 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:57 pm

Grabbed a famicom for £30 no power supply but I'm using a megadrive 1 supply at the moment.

Final lap for famicom cart only £3
Clu clu land for famicom cart only £3
Yoshi's egg for famicom cart only £2.50
Dr Mario for famicom cart only £3.50
Star juster for famicom cart only for £3
Super Mario Bros for famicom cart only £4.50
Super Mario Bros 3 for famicom cart only £4.50
Hino Tori for famicom cart only for £3

http://kerr9000.blogspot.co.uk/ For my Blog... https://www.youtube.com/user/kerr9000 for my YouTube channel. kerr9000 on Xbox, PS4 kerr9000gamesroom on instergram
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Lagamorph » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:19 pm

If you're into old school text prompt RPGs you might get a kick/giggle out of this,

https://play.aidungeon.io/

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Green Gecko » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:29 pm

There's loads on a platform called Twine, I illustrated one for Global Game Jam.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:07 am

kerr9000 wrote:Grabbed a famicom for £30 no power supply but I'm using a megadrive 1 supply at the moment.

Final lap for famicom cart only £3
Clu clu land for famicom cart only £3
Yoshi's egg for famicom cart only £2.50
Dr Mario for famicom cart only £3.50
Star juster for famicom cart only for £3
Super Mario Bros for famicom cart only £4.50
Super Mario Bros 3 for famicom cart only £4.50
Hino Tori for famicom cart only for £3


Is it an original Famicom, or one of the AV ones?

If it's original has it been AV or RGB modded so you can actually hook it up to a TV?

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
AYAMMM 2020 is coming..... Hit The Switch
User avatar
kerr9000
Member
Joined in 2013
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by kerr9000 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:25 am

Original

There's no mods I tried it through the old tune it in wire/method, now I know it works I will probably store it away nice and safe and get a clone to run the games. I have a few more games on the way hopefully but I sort of don't count stuff as being mine until it's arrived, I don't like tempting fate.

I did consider modding it but two things put me off, if I own only one of something I like to keep it totally original and two when I tried to rgb and 50/60hz mod a master system 2 I got the switch in and working well, I got both channels of audio working great but I never did get a picture through the yellow wire no matter how hard I tried and I assume this mod on a famicom would be very similar.

http://kerr9000.blogspot.co.uk/ For my Blog... https://www.youtube.com/user/kerr9000 for my YouTube channel. kerr9000 on Xbox, PS4 kerr9000gamesroom on instergram
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:31 am

I'm surprised you were able to get it tuned in!

Japanese RF signals use a completely different set of frequencies from UK RF. Not to mention that it's NTSC RF as well.

If your TV supports that Japanese RF signal (Which is quite rare over here) then I'm very jealous.

Is it a modern flatscreen, or an old CRT?

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
AYAMMM 2020 is coming..... Hit The Switch
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Lagamorph » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:44 am

I can't even get my UK Dreamcast to tune in via RF on a modern TV, so I wouldn't rate my chances of a Japanese RF signal!

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
kerr9000
Member
Joined in 2013
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by kerr9000 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:41 am

Cheeky Devlin wrote:I'm surprised you were able to get it tuned in!
K
Japanese RF signals use a completely different set of frequencies from UK RF. Not to mention that it's NTSC RF as well.

If your TV supports that Japanese RF signal (Which is quite rare over here) then I'm very jealous.

Is it a modern flatscreen, or an old CRT?


It's a flat screen Samsung the picture tunned in 100percent perfect the sound wasn't as good though, it auto tunes, I can't seem to find a manual option which is a shame. I thought it would be ok as I've tuned a lot of home computers and consoles into it.

I have just got Spartan X for it today for £3 it's king Fu master but it's called Spartan X over there to tie in with a Jackie Chan film.

http://kerr9000.blogspot.co.uk/ For my Blog... https://www.youtube.com/user/kerr9000 for my YouTube channel. kerr9000 on Xbox, PS4 kerr9000gamesroom on instergram
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:48 am

Hmmm. Interesting.

I'll need to check to see if my current TV will let me tune it in but I'm doubtful. As far as I'm aware most modern TV's don't accept analogue RF signals anymore (They're trying to tune in Digital TV signals). We'll see what happens I guess.

I had an older flat screen that did have some advanced options for tuning, but again I didn't have any luck with it.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
AYAMMM 2020 is coming..... Hit The Switch
User avatar
kerr9000
Member
Joined in 2013
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by kerr9000 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:15 pm

Cheeky Devlin wrote:Hmmm. Interesting.

I'll need to check to see if my current TV will let me tune it in but I'm doubtful. As far as I'm aware most modern TV's don't accept analogue RF signals anymore (They're trying to tune in Digital TV signals). We'll see what happens I guess.

I had an older flat screen that did have some advanced options for tuning, but again I didn't have any luck with it.


This one asks scan for analog digital or both , it's a good telly was a gift from my dad when he got a 60inch one, this ones like 46inch I think.

http://kerr9000.blogspot.co.uk/ For my Blog... https://www.youtube.com/user/kerr9000 for my YouTube channel. kerr9000 on Xbox, PS4 kerr9000gamesroom on instergram
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:35 pm

kerr9000 wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:Hmmm. Interesting.

I'll need to check to see if my current TV will let me tune it in but I'm doubtful. As far as I'm aware most modern TV's don't accept analogue RF signals anymore (They're trying to tune in Digital TV signals). We'll see what happens I guess.

I had an older flat screen that did have some advanced options for tuning, but again I didn't have any luck with it.


This one asks scan for analog digital or both , it's a good telly was a gift from my dad when he got a 60inch one, this ones like 46inch I think.

Very nice.

I never even considered my main TV for it to be fair, just assumed that it wouldn't accept an analogue rf signal these days.

Worth a shot though. :lol:

Worst case it doesn't work and I can play on the Famiclone I've got coming today.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
AYAMMM 2020 is coming..... Hit The Switch
User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Parksey » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:38 pm

So my girlfriend, who lives in Tokyo, got called in to work on Sunday around noon, leaving me unexpectedly free.

As she's not really in gaming, I decided to indulge myself and go to Akihabara and Super Potato. I've been before but only with a group of friends who were visiting from tj UK and pushed for time.

I didn't buy anything - stuff is actually relatively expensive, which pushes it out of the realm of retro curiosity, and I might be leaving soon so I'd need to cart it all back - but it was still enjoyable just looking around, checking out some of the Japanese boxes and box art.

Has anyone ever been? I do wish that, five and a half years ago when I first came, I had done what I half-planned and bought a Japanese N64 or GC. Actually Super Potato had disappointingly few GC games, though absolutely stacks of N64 stuff. I'll be going back to visit her again in March and in April, so I might end up getting tempted as my time draws short.

Also went in the new Nintendo Store in Shibuya. Actually I'll go make a topic about that...

User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:48 pm

Never been. One day I'll make the pilgrimage to expensive retro-gaming mecca.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
AYAMMM 2020 is coming..... Hit The Switch
User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Green Gecko » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:06 pm

Parksey wrote:So my girlfriend, who lives in Tokyo, got called in to work on Sunday around noon, leaving me unexpectedly free.

As she's not really in gaming, I decided to indulge myself and go to Akihabara and Super Potato. I've been before but only with a group of friends who were visiting from tj UK and pushed for time.

I didn't buy anything - stuff is actually relatively expensive, which pushes it out of the realm of retro curiosity, and I might be leaving soon so I'd need to cart it all back - but it was still enjoyable just looking around, checking out some of the Japanese boxes and box art.

Has anyone ever been? I do wish that, five and a half years ago when I first came, I had done what I half-planned and bought a Japanese N64 or GC. Actually Super Potato had disappointingly few GC games, though absolutely stacks of N64 stuff. I'll be going back to visit her again in March and in April, so I might end up getting tempted as my time draws short.

Also went in the new Nintendo Store in Shibuya. Actually I'll go make a topic about that...

Look for stuff like Japanese gameboy and N64 carts, they go for literally a quid or so. Stuff is probably cheaper in Osaka where I went to super Potato.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Cheeky Devlin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:04 am

Well I was able to tune the Famicom in on my TV so I've at least been able to confirm that it works. Picture is horrendous though and I can't get any sound. Apparently this is due to the frequencies used by the video and audio technically being on different channels so you can probably get one or the other but not both.

Still, managed to get a wee shot of all my games which was great.
Definitely need to get my RGB mod done sooner rather than later I think.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
AYAMMM 2020 is coming..... Hit The Switch
User avatar
kerr9000
Member
Joined in 2013
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by kerr9000 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:01 am

Cheeky Devlin wrote:Well I was able to tune the Famicom in on my TV so I've at least been able to confirm that it works. Picture is horrendous though and I can't get any sound. Apparently this is due to the frequencies used by the video and audio technically being on different channels so you can probably get one or the other but not both.

Still, managed to get a wee shot of all my games which was great.
Definitely need to get my RGB mod done sooner rather than later I think.


I got a perfect picture but not great sound, like you said though the main thing is knowing these things work and that you haven't paid for novelty paperweights. I'm finding looking at the games online addictive sure some titles are expensive but there's lots of decent things at sub £5 prices.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that people add longer cables to there controllers though, having not touched a famicom in 20 years I forgot how truly short the wires are.

http://kerr9000.blogspot.co.uk/ For my Blog... https://www.youtube.com/user/kerr9000 for my YouTube channel. kerr9000 on Xbox, PS4 kerr9000gamesroom on instergram
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Cheeky Devlin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:31 am

kerr9000 wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:Well I was able to tune the Famicom in on my TV so I've at least been able to confirm that it works. Picture is horrendous though and I can't get any sound. Apparently this is due to the frequencies used by the video and audio technically being on different channels so you can probably get one or the other but not both.

Still, managed to get a wee shot of all my games which was great.
Definitely need to get my RGB mod done sooner rather than later I think.


I got a perfect picture but not great sound, like you said though the main thing is knowing these things work and that you haven't paid for novelty paperweights. I'm finding looking at the games online addictive sure some titles are expensive but there's lots of decent things at sub £5 prices.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that people add longer cables to there controllers though, having not touched a famicom in 20 years I forgot how truly short the wires are.

I saw someone modded 8bitDo retro receivers into theirs along with their Famicom style wireless controllers. Looked pretty sweet. But yeah the short cables are ridiculous.

In terms of games I've got most of what I want, but there are a few I want to pick up. All the Rockman games (I've got the second one already) and Tetris are my main targets and they seem fairly reasonably priced.
Down the line I'll be looking at a Disk System and that's when I'll be going for Metroid, TLOZ, Castlevania, SMB2. They can cost a little more, but I want some of the key games. Beyond that it'll be an everdrive for all the other games I want to play.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
AYAMMM 2020 is coming..... Hit The Switch

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Balladeer, Duke Washington, HaruKazuhira, Mafro, MSN [Bot], OrangeRKN, Peter Crisp, Photek, poshrule_uk, Qikz, Robbo-92 and 29 guests