Gillette - is this the best a man can get?

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Photek » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:23 pm

captain red dog wrote:Personally I found the advert a little patronising coming from a company like Gillette and P&C who are well known for exceedingly dodgy business practices. Take one look at their corporate structure and you can see that they are as much to blame for "toxic masculinity" as the people they are aiming this advert at. I'm surprised at just how easily that people who support these causes seem to forget to look into the companies that are pushing these messages and reflect that back on them a little. That would represent real change.


What aboutism.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Karl
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Karl » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:31 pm

Capitalism is horrible and companies will always act in the interests of their profits - that's a fair enough observation whenever any company does anything - but separately to that, a particular action or message can still be engaged with & discussed.

User avatar
Prototype
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Prototype » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:34 pm

captain red dog wrote:It reminds me of the Carphone Warehouse sketch by Stewart Lee.


:lol:

"Racism is entirely at odds with the values of the Carphone Warehouse"

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Moggy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:37 pm

Photek wrote:
captain red dog wrote:Personally I found the advert a little patronising coming from a company like Gillette and P&C who are well known for exceedingly dodgy business practices. Take one look at their corporate structure and you can see that they are as much to blame for "toxic masculinity" as the people they are aiming this advert at. I'm surprised at just how easily that people who support these causes seem to forget to look into the companies that are pushing these messages and reflect that back on them a little. That would represent real change.


What aboutism.


Bill Gates gives loads of money to charity BUT Windows ME was gooseberry fool so strawberry float him.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Jenuall » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:38 pm

Prototype wrote:
captain red dog wrote:It reminds me of the Carphone Warehouse sketch by Stewart Lee.


:lol:

"Racism is entirely at odds with the values of the Carphone Warehouse"


That's good to hear, I was worried they were a front for a white supremacist organisation!

ImageImage
User avatar
Prototype
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Prototype » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:40 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Prototype wrote:
captain red dog wrote:It reminds me of the Carphone Warehouse sketch by Stewart Lee.


:lol:

"Racism is entirely at odds with the values of the Carphone Warehouse"


That's good to hear, I was worried they were a front for a white supremacist organisation!


Seriously, watch the sketch. It's utterly hilarious.

User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by captain red dog » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:42 pm

Photek wrote:
captain red dog wrote:Personally I found the advert a little patronising coming from a company like Gillette and P&C who are well known for exceedingly dodgy business practices. Take one look at their corporate structure and you can see that they are as much to blame for "toxic masculinity" as the people they are aiming this advert at. I'm surprised at just how easily that people who support these causes seem to forget to look into the companies that are pushing these messages and reflect that back on them a little. That would represent real change.


What aboutism.

It's not whataboutism. It's a company that doesn't reflect in any shape or form the message they are seeking to make a profit from, and actually their own practices go against that message. If they actually had a gender and race balanced board, didn't exploit child labour, didn't discriminate on grounds of gender targeted price hikes, I might at least be able to take them seriously when they push a message I strongly support.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Jenuall » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:44 pm

Prototype wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
Prototype wrote:
captain red dog wrote:It reminds me of the Carphone Warehouse sketch by Stewart Lee.


:lol:

"Racism is entirely at odds with the values of the Carphone Warehouse"


That's good to hear, I was worried they were a front for a white supremacist organisation!


Seriously, watch the sketch. It's utterly hilarious.

I have, that's part of the sketch!

I'm assuming your referring to the bit from 41st Best Standup? That's the only Carphone Warehouse bit I've seen from Lee anyway!

ImageImage
User avatar
Sandy
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Akuma / Dormin
Location: Surrey, darling

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Sandy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:45 pm

Photek wrote:My little one associates hero's with girls and boys, she loves Wonder Woman, Gamora, (from guardians of the galaxy), Mulan and many other strong female protagonists.


The new Ms Marvel is worth checking out as well.

Moggy wrote:Bill Gates gives loads of money to charity BUT Windows ME was gooseberry fool so strawberry float him.


He'll have been one of the main driving forces behind erradicating Polio before he dies but people will only remember him for inflicting Windows Vista upon us.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Moggy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:46 pm

captain red dog wrote:
Photek wrote:
captain red dog wrote:Personally I found the advert a little patronising coming from a company like Gillette and P&C who are well known for exceedingly dodgy business practices. Take one look at their corporate structure and you can see that they are as much to blame for "toxic masculinity" as the people they are aiming this advert at. I'm surprised at just how easily that people who support these causes seem to forget to look into the companies that are pushing these messages and reflect that back on them a little. That would represent real change.


What aboutism.

It's not whataboutism. It's a company that doesn't reflect in any shape or form the message they are seeking to make a profit from, and actually their own practices go against that message. If they actually had a gender and race balanced board, didn't exploit child labour, didn't discriminate on grounds of gender targeted price hikes, I might at least be able to take them seriously when they push a message I strongly support.


As somebody that once got upset over the idea of female only sessions at swimming pools, I am not sure you are the best placed person to deliver that message. ;)

User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by captain red dog » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:55 pm

Moggy wrote:
captain red dog wrote:
Photek wrote:
captain red dog wrote:Personally I found the advert a little patronising coming from a company like Gillette and P&C who are well known for exceedingly dodgy business practices. Take one look at their corporate structure and you can see that they are as much to blame for "toxic masculinity" as the people they are aiming this advert at. I'm surprised at just how easily that people who support these causes seem to forget to look into the companies that are pushing these messages and reflect that back on them a little. That would represent real change.


What aboutism.

It's not whataboutism. It's a company that doesn't reflect in any shape or form the message they are seeking to make a profit from, and actually their own practices go against that message. If they actually had a gender and race balanced board, didn't exploit child labour, didn't discriminate on grounds of gender targeted price hikes, I might at least be able to take them seriously when they push a message I strongly support.


As somebody that once got upset over the idea of female only sessions at swimming pools, I am not sure you are the best placed person to deliver that message. ;)

I'm vehemently opposed to segregation and descrimination. That's why I support banning of men's clubs.

On this actual subject, women's only pool hours actually enforces the concept of toxic masculinity.

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Hexx » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:58 pm

"Enforces the concept of"...."is a direct result of"....potato, tomato

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Rex Kramer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:00 pm

Sandy wrote:
Photek wrote:My little one associates hero's with girls and boys, she loves Wonder Woman, Gamora, (from guardians of the galaxy), Mulan and many other strong female protagonists.


The new Ms Marvel is worth checking out as well.

Moggy wrote:Bill Gates gives loads of money to charity BUT Windows ME was gooseberry fool so strawberry float him.


He'll have been one of the main driving forces behind erradicating Polio before he dies but people will only remember him for inflicting Windows Vista upon us.

Not sure which one is worse. I'd argue that Vista was probably more detrimental to the human race as a whole.

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Hexx » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:01 pm


User avatar
Karl
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Karl » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:02 pm

Linux is the only socially just operating system

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Moggy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:04 pm

captain red dog wrote:
Moggy wrote:
captain red dog wrote:
Photek wrote:
captain red dog wrote:Personally I found the advert a little patronising coming from a company like Gillette and P&C who are well known for exceedingly dodgy business practices. Take one look at their corporate structure and you can see that they are as much to blame for "toxic masculinity" as the people they are aiming this advert at. I'm surprised at just how easily that people who support these causes seem to forget to look into the companies that are pushing these messages and reflect that back on them a little. That would represent real change.


What aboutism.

It's not whataboutism. It's a company that doesn't reflect in any shape or form the message they are seeking to make a profit from, and actually their own practices go against that message. If they actually had a gender and race balanced board, didn't exploit child labour, didn't discriminate on grounds of gender targeted price hikes, I might at least be able to take them seriously when they push a message I strongly support.


As somebody that once got upset over the idea of female only sessions at swimming pools, I am not sure you are the best placed person to deliver that message. ;)

I'm vehemently opposed to segregation and descrimination. That's why I support banning of men's clubs.

On this actual subject, women's only pool hours actually enforces the concept of toxic masculinity.


I agree with you. I can’t wait for mixed sex changing rooms and communal showers. :datass:

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Hexx » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:04 pm

Karl wrote:Linux is the only socially just operating system


https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/oops-did-our-advert-piss-off-dickheads-asks-razor-blade-company-20190116181425?fbclid=IwAR1Iw5jOMxDfQe91Kd6fcAjqcZGNkLSs-szZwtD4s7iA7TEFUmGh5UIMxac


A company spokesman said: “We had no idea that this advert would be so effective, especially after a recent advert for vegan sausage rolls failed so spectacularly to provoke angry middle-aged men.

“Who could have predicted this reaction and the avalanche of free publicity we received from it? Certainly not our marketing department.”

User avatar
Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Winckle » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:09 pm

Karl wrote:Linux is the only socially just operating system

FreeBSD you swine.

User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by captain red dog » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:17 pm

Moggy wrote:
captain red dog wrote:
Moggy wrote:
captain red dog wrote:
Photek wrote:
captain red dog wrote:Personally I found the advert a little patronising coming from a company like Gillette and P&C who are well known for exceedingly dodgy business practices. Take one look at their corporate structure and you can see that they are as much to blame for "toxic masculinity" as the people they are aiming this advert at. I'm surprised at just how easily that people who support these causes seem to forget to look into the companies that are pushing these messages and reflect that back on them a little. That would represent real change.


What aboutism.

It's not whataboutism. It's a company that doesn't reflect in any shape or form the message they are seeking to make a profit from, and actually their own practices go against that message. If they actually had a gender and race balanced board, didn't exploit child labour, didn't discriminate on grounds of gender targeted price hikes, I might at least be able to take them seriously when they push a message I strongly support.


As somebody that once got upset over the idea of female only sessions at swimming pools, I am not sure you are the best placed person to deliver that message. ;)

I'm vehemently opposed to segregation and descrimination. That's why I support banning of men's clubs.

On this actual subject, women's only pool hours actually enforces the concept of toxic masculinity.


I agree with you. I can’t wait for mixed sex changing rooms and communal showers. :datass:

Most of the swimming pools I have been to have mixed changing rooms now with private cubicles anyway. With a little adjustment, properly private shower and toilet cubicles etc, none of it should be an issue going forwards in terms of going gender neutral in public facilities. My employer is actually quite progressive in this respect and offers gender neutral toilet facilities.

User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Vermilion » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:20 pm

Sandy wrote:
Moggy wrote:Bill Gates gives loads of money to charity BUT Windows ME was gooseberry fool so strawberry float him.


He'll have been one of the main driving forces behind erradicating Polio before he dies but people will only remember him for inflicting Windows Vista upon us.


At least Vista worked (well, it did on the PC i had anyways), ME however was by far the worst operating system i have ever used.

Boot up computer with windows ME, connect to aol dial up net, 30 seconds later after the first website loads, the whole thing freezes and the only way to restart the laptop is to remove the battery, start again and repeat.

Bloody awful.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Denster, Parksey, Rightey and 47 guests