Gillette - is this the best a man can get?

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Corazon de Leon » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:18 am

Moggy wrote:
Dual wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:I really can’t see a problem in Brie Larson’s actions. And I’ll say this - Captain Marvel is the 21st film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the first to star a female character. It doesn’t feel like Disney are “too woke” in this situation to be honest.


Imagine the tears when Captain Marvel kills Thanos at the end of Infinity War 2 and then pulls out a Gillette razor and says "Hey guys, if you want to be woke and have the power to defeat sexism, use Gillette!"


FTFY


:lol:

Image Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by OrangeRKN » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:24 am

Image

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Hexx » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:58 pm

mic wrote:
Skarjo wrote:...in what way is Brie Larson an.... ugh... SJW?


Well, in line with her character being Marvel’s only female hero to get their own movie, Brie has expressed several feminist and anti-racist sentiments, such as the movie not being principally for the typical white, male audience. For a further example, she insisted on being interviewed by a black, female, disabled writer.

In any case, I was referring not so much to the disgruntled white males (who seemed unable to influence the success of Black Panther), but more to the fact that projections for Captain Marvel had resultantly ‘tanked’ by 100 million dollars - did Brie expressing her views really have that effect? Do movie profit projections matter?


Ahem

https://www.cbr.com/captain-marvel-open ... -grossing/

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Moggy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:13 pm

Hexx wrote:
mic wrote:
Skarjo wrote:...in what way is Brie Larson an.... ugh... SJW?


Well, in line with her character being Marvel’s only female hero to get their own movie, Brie has expressed several feminist and anti-racist sentiments, such as the movie not being principally for the typical white, male audience. For a further example, she insisted on being interviewed by a black, female, disabled writer.

In any case, I was referring not so much to the disgruntled white males (who seemed unable to influence the success of Black Panther), but more to the fact that projections for Captain Marvel had resultantly ‘tanked’ by 100 million dollars - did Brie expressing her views really have that effect? Do movie profit projections matter?


Ahem

https://www.cbr.com/captain-marvel-open ... -grossing/


:lol: :datass:

User avatar
mic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: I'm on my way...

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by mic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:11 pm

That’s great. It’s really gratifying to know that a) movie analysts are full of gooseberry fool, and b) the snowflake/ fedora-wearing misogynist brigade are essentially powerless to stop the march of social progression.

The last Jedi was gooseberry fool and Star Wars is doomed, but apparently not because of Rey or feminism.

User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Pedz » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:50 am

I remember little of Rey in the last jedi, but didn't like that she could just do anything if the force awakens. Like she's never flown before and yet mastered the Millennium Falcon in seconds. Like Luke was shooting Womp Rats and they were the size of the Emporers hole.

ImageImage
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Skarjo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:46 am

She was familiar with ships tho wasn’t she? I seem to remember her knowing a lot about ships.

Blue Eyes wrote:No wonder I'm eating my balls instead of sweets.

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Parksey » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:19 am

I find it really weird people zone in on Rey like that.

Firstly, Star Wars as a whole hardly has a cast iron, unwavering logical thread all the way through it. I feel like there are other things that would be hard to stomach before getting to Rey being good at stuff.

Secondly, the whole series is about an innate magical power that lets people do strange, powerful, unnatural gooseberry fool. They are often just born with this power. It's called "The Force Awakens" not "The Force takes flying lessons for a few years and she reverses the Falcon into another ship in the intergalactic parking lot and has to nervously swap insurance details".

And also, Anakin Skywalker, the whole cornerstone of these movies, is just as bad. He's an eight year old slave but is literally the only human ever born who can race a pod. This in itself is quite the talent, except he later USES THIS to go into space and single handedly destroy the big enemy space ship. Is that any more digestible than Rey being good at stuff? It'd be like Lewis Hamilton, with his skill in an F1 car, being chosen for a moon landing.

User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Rightey » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:23 am

Pedz wrote:I remember little of Rey in the last jedi, but didn't like that she could just do anything if the force awakens. Like she's never flown before and yet mastered the Millennium Falcon in seconds. Like Luke was shooting Womp Rats and they were the size of the Emporers hole.


She also beat Kylo-Ren in a lightsaber fight despite not having any experience fighting. I mean I know it's just a fantasy movie but you think back to the original movies and when the same thing happened to Luke he got his hand cut off. :|

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Karl
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Karl » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:27 am

M I D I C H L O R I A N S

EDIT: so Star Wars isn't my favourite sci-fi (or fantasy!) but I think it's a lot more fun when the Force is just magic, and Jedi are just wizards. It never seemed odd to me that Rey has unknown talents and untapped potential within her magical powers because those are classic apprentice wizard tropes, she is a wizard and wizards are usually good at all sorts of stuff (with the exception of Discworld I guess)

User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Errkal » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:41 am

Rightey wrote:
Pedz wrote:I remember little of Rey in the last jedi, but didn't like that she could just do anything if the force awakens. Like she's never flown before and yet mastered the Millennium Falcon in seconds. Like Luke was shooting Womp Rats and they were the size of the Emporers hole.


She also beat Kylo-Ren in a lightsaber fight despite not having any experience fighting. I mean I know it's just a fantasy movie but you think back to the original movies and when the same thing happened to Luke he got his hand cut off. :|


She has history with hand held combat as she has her stick thing at the start on 7, she is skilled that that and those skills are transferable along with the increased reactions etc. of being a Jedi.

User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Skarjo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:00 am

Rightey wrote:
Pedz wrote:I remember little of Rey in the last jedi, but didn't like that she could just do anything if the force awakens. Like she's never flown before and yet mastered the Millennium Falcon in seconds. Like Luke was shooting Womp Rats and they were the size of the Emporers hole.


She also beat Kylo-Ren in a lightsaber fight despite not having any experience fighting. I mean I know it's just a fantasy movie but you think back to the original movies and when the same thing happened to Luke he got his hand cut off. :|


A badly injured Kylo Ren who had just offed his Dad and so might not have been exactly on point.

Blue Eyes wrote:No wonder I'm eating my balls instead of sweets.

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
mic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: I'm on my way...

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by mic » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:21 am

Hmm... why are we autocorrecting fedora-wearing misogynist?

Anyway, I’m guessing it was the same type who wanted to write-off Episode 7 after the trailer hit because how could there possibly be a black stormtrooper?

User avatar
PsychicSykes
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Sykes Stadium

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by PsychicSykes » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:19 pm

I'm not much of a Star Wars fan, though I think the original trilogy are competent enough popcorn flicks. I thought The Force Awakens was worse than those and it's not down to casting issues, it's down to the writing. People in the thread have mentioned Rey's abililty to pick up anything she tries with ease which isn't great storytelling for someone we're supposed to be rooting for, but it can work under specific circumstances. The main issue for me comes down to the fact that she experiences very little in the way of obstacles or setbacks. It's why a lot of Superman films have issues and why I found Rey to be a fairly uninteresting main character.

This problem is only worsened by the comparisons to Luke in A New Hope, which given how often TFA looks to evoke memories of it, the connection is always going to made. Plus I think there's a strong argument to be said that Rey is the least interesting out of the two main characters, with Finn's journey and story being much stronger, with him having a real arc and growing as a character by the time the film is done.

I've only seen The Force Awakens so the writing and characterisation was better in The Last Jedi fair enough.

User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Skarjo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:22 pm

mic wrote:Hmm... why are we autocorrecting fedora-wearing misogynist?

Anyway, I’m guessing it was the same type who wanted to write-off Episode 7 after the trailer hit because how could there possibly be a black stormtrooper?


:lol:

It's been added to the swear filter, and this is brilliant.

Blue Eyes wrote:No wonder I'm eating my balls instead of sweets.

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Hexx » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:24 pm

What does it come up as?

User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Lex-Man » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:07 pm

Hexx wrote:What does it come up as?


Fedora-wearing misogynist

User avatar
Karl
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Karl » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:57 pm

mic wrote:Hmm... why are we autocorrecting fedora-wearing misogynist?


fedora-wearing misogynists, in a classic fedora-wearing misogynist move, Google the word "fedora-wearing misogynist" to pick fights with people who make fun of them. After the first one turned up here to make trouble I thought I'd word filter it. (That and it's funny.)

User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by Cuttooth » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:06 pm

Karl wrote:
mic wrote:Hmm... why are we autocorrecting fedora-wearing misogynist?


fedora-wearing misogynists, in a classic fedora-wearing misogynist move, Google the word "fedora-wearing misogynist" to pick fights with people who make fun of them. After the first one turned up here to make trouble I thought I'd word filter it. (That and it's funny.)

This is a weird post to read while logged out.

User avatar
mic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: I'm on my way...

PostRe: Gillette - is this the best a man can get?
by mic » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:26 pm

Karl wrote:
mic wrote:Hmm... why are we autocorrecting fedora-wearing misogynist?


fedora-wearing misogynists, in a classic fedora-wearing misogynist move, Google the word "fedora-wearing misogynist" to pick fights with people who make fun of them. After the first one turned up here to make trouble I thought I'd word filter it. (That and it's funny.)


It’s not a derogatory term is it? I thought they came up with it themselves...?

Anyhoo, they REALLY hate women! It’s like feminism turned inside-out, which is sad but, in a way, also funny.

Link to the trouble that was caused, if it’s not too much bother?


Return to “Stuff”