GR Racing Game Thread - Grid reboot coming september

Anything to do with games at all.
jawafour
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: GR Racing Game Thread - Grid reboot coming september
by jawafour » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:30 am

Eurogamer has made a "Recommended" assessment for Grid. It sounds decent!

Eurogamer wrote:...Grid excels at getting to the very essence of motorsport with economy, style and open arms to players of all abilities. So what exactly is this Grid? It's a refined arcade racer, and it's Codemasters doing what it does best - and doing it that little bit better, too.

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: GR Racing Game Thread - Grid reboot coming september
by Robbo-92 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:47 am

Probably won’t be getting it mind, loving playing Grid Autosport for the first time on the Switch and then WRC 8 is meant to be coming out 14th of November, so between the two I’ll probably be good for a while regarding racing games, even more so when online multiplayer gets added in on Grid Autosport although they’ve not said when that might come out.

Edit, https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ninten ... 51321.html Except on here we’ve not actually seen anything of the Switch version of WRC 8, if these are screenshots of the Switch version that is (although looking at them I’d say they are), if it plays really well and looks like that I’d be happy enough though.

Only other series I’d like to see come to the Switch is the F1 series of games, hopefully if Autosport does well on the Switch (sales wise) it might stand a very slim chance of happening.

Image

Image
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: GR Racing Game Thread - Grid reboot coming september
by Gemini73 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:48 pm

Grid does look good, but I've more than enough racing games.

User avatar
Trelliz
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: GR Racing Game Thread - Grid reboot coming september
by Trelliz » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:30 pm

The specialist racing game press have been a bit less kind to GRID than mainstream sites like Eurogamer, in ways which put me off:

...the paucity of locations means you’ll feel that sense of “been here, done that” quite early on. Different times of day and the inclusion of rain might alleviate this slightly — and running tracks like Brands Hatch and Silverstone in reverse is fun — but GRID desperately needs more variety in the track list. Thankfully, Codemasters has said new locations are incoming as part of the DLC plan, and they’ll arrive free of charge.

Unfortunately that samey feeling applies to the single player experience too. It’s almost mobile game-like in its simplicity: there’s a tile board of events to compete in, divvied up into different disciplines. All of these follow the same point structure, with up to four races per event. Players can focus on whatever area they like, but the progression within is quite linear. The Invitationals largely require other disciplines be complete too. There are no prize cars or different event styles, which can make the progress feel like a slog.

Qualifying is a welcome addition in an arcade title, but it’s also necessary in the harder difficulties. That’s because the races are all so short that the only way most players could win is to start up front.

The touted team aspect of the game leaves a lot to be desired. Team management is completely bare-bones: second drivers unlock as you progress through the game, but you can sign them at any point, and none improve over time, so there’s a very clear “best”.

Unfortunately the Nemesis system is similarly half-baked. In the heat of the moment it’s fantastic: collide with a driver too many times and they’ll target you for the rest of the race. It’s those last four words that are the drawback: there’s no real consequence for getting on the AI’s bad side outside of the one race. It’d be great to form a career-spanning rivalry — that’s what the best stories in motorsport boil down to, really — but it’s just not an option here.

A lack of content can be forgiven, but that the game gives players so little to do with it is what hurts here. That’s not even in comparison to other titles on the market, but even GRID’s own storied history. The simplistic team aspect, the lack of different event styles, and the grindy career mode conspire to make GRID seem like a preview.

Tragic Magic wrote:I'm giving esteem a name of crafty Fu mining pinitz strawberry float me I live roasted ponuts

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GR Racing Game Thread - Grid reboot coming september
by Monkey Man » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:58 am


Image
User avatar
Xeno
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GR Racing Game Thread - Grid reboot coming september
by Xeno » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:12 am

Can they fix a few things while they are bathing in all that cash like the netcode oh and maybe adding VR support.

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: GR Racing Game Thread - Grid reboot coming september
by Victor Mildew » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:28 am

Xeno wrote:Can they fix a few things while they are bathing in all that cash like the netcode oh and maybe adding VR support.


The lack of VR support means I will never buy an F1 game by them.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: GR Racing Game Thread - Grid reboot coming september
by Gemini73 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:58 am

Trelliz wrote:The specialist racing game press have been a bit less kind to GRID than mainstream sites like Eurogamer, in ways which put me off:

...the paucity of locations means you’ll feel that sense of “been here, done that” quite early on. Different times of day and the inclusion of rain might alleviate this slightly — and running tracks like Brands Hatch and Silverstone in reverse is fun — but GRID desperately needs more variety in the track list. Thankfully, Codemasters has said new locations are incoming as part of the DLC plan, and they’ll arrive free of charge.

Unfortunately that samey feeling applies to the single player experience too. It’s almost mobile game-like in its simplicity: there’s a tile board of events to compete in, divvied up into different disciplines. All of these follow the same point structure, with up to four races per event. Players can focus on whatever area they like, but the progression within is quite linear. The Invitationals largely require other disciplines be complete too. There are no prize cars or different event styles, which can make the progress feel like a slog.

Qualifying is a welcome addition in an arcade title, but it’s also necessary in the harder difficulties. That’s because the races are all so short that the only way most players could win is to start up front.

The touted team aspect of the game leaves a lot to be desired. Team management is completely bare-bones: second drivers unlock as you progress through the game, but you can sign them at any point, and none improve over time, so there’s a very clear “best”.

Unfortunately the Nemesis system is similarly half-baked. In the heat of the moment it’s fantastic: collide with a driver too many times and they’ll target you for the rest of the race. It’s those last four words that are the drawback: there’s no real consequence for getting on the AI’s bad side outside of the one race. It’d be great to form a career-spanning rivalry — that’s what the best stories in motorsport boil down to, really — but it’s just not an option here.

A lack of content can be forgiven, but that the game gives players so little to do with it is what hurts here. That’s not even in comparison to other titles on the market, but even GRID’s own storied history. The simplistic team aspect, the lack of different event styles, and the grindy career mode conspire to make GRID seem like a preview.


That write up does make it sound like a mobile racing game. :dread:

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: GR Racing Game Thread - Grid reboot coming september
by Robbo-92 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:07 pm

Xeno wrote:Can they fix a few things while they are bathing in all that cash like the netcode oh and maybe adding VR support.


It’s genuinely amazing how they keep failing to add VR support or fix their online, which has been a relative mess for years now. From what I’ve read 2019 is a good racing game, just a shame some of their decisions don’t help keep players long term, my last F1 game is still 2017.

Same with their other series, DiRT 2.0 needing to be always online to save/advance the career. They make good games but I feel they could be so much better.

Just out of interest, has anyone here played WRC 8? I’m looking forward to it coming out on Switch in a couple of weeks but would just like to hear anyone’s thoughts of it here if you’ve played it. Only slightly worrying aspect is we’ve still not seen any footage of the Switch version running, just hoping it’s decent.

Image

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: GR Racing Game Thread - Grid reboot coming september
by Victor Mildew » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:24 am

I'm selling my Logitech G29 soon if anyone is interested. Ps4/pc compatible, wheel + pedals. Fantastic wheel which has given me hundreds of hours of entertainment.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: GR Racing Game Thread - Grid reboot coming september
by Robbo-92 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:56 pm



Well we finally have some footage of the Switch version of WRC 8, doesn’t look as good as the other versions (obviously) but looks good enough considering we can play it docked or handheld, got my copy ordered already.

Image

Image
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: GR Racing Game Thread - Grid reboot coming september
by Robbo-92 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Been playing WRC 8 over the past couple of evenings and except quite evident pop in at times its really good. Feels fantastic to play. Courses are tight, twisty, very rewarding when you nail them. I’m yet to win my first rally but once I do I’ll be chuffed to bits :lol:

Image

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: GR Racing Game Thread - Grid reboot coming september
by Victor Mildew » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:55 pm

I've recently discovered you can borrow games from people on steam, so I'm borrowing a few newer racing games to try out.

Assetto corsa competitzione
Grid
Dirt Rally 2

Only tried acc at the moment, and only played a practice session, but my god it nails the feeling of driving on the edge. None of this easy project cars bollocks, it's brilliant to settle in to a rhythm, then try to find speed and feel like you're dancing on the brink of losing it in a very realistic way. It's a shame it's only GT cars, because if it had the car roster of PC2, I'd probably swap to this (the vr support is great too).

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: GR Racing Game Thread - Grid reboot coming september
by Robbo-92 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:07 pm

Racing sims is the one reason I wish I had a dedicated gaming room, so I could build a decent PC and invest in a decent wheel/pedal set up that’s good to go whenever. Sadly just not got the space at the moment.

Image

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: GR Racing Game Thread - Grid reboot coming september
by Victor Mildew » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:17 am

Robbo-92 wrote:Racing sims is the one reason I wish I had a dedicated gaming room, so I could build a decent PC and invest in a decent wheel/pedal set up that’s good to go whenever. Sadly just not got the space at the moment.


As I keep saying, if you get a playseat challenge, you can have a great wheel setup which can be stored away when you're not using it.

I played a bit of grid last night and enjoyed what I played so far. Great sense of speed and arcade gameplay which is refreshing as you can just chuck the car at apexes with no regard for physics and feel like you've nailed it.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: GR Racing Game Thread - Grid reboot coming september
by Robbo-92 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:41 am

I’ve been very tempted by a playseat in the past, at this stage I’d need a new wheel as well as my old DFGT isn’t supported by any consoles these days, shame as for the price (picked it up new for £75) it was a cracking wheel.

Image

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: GR Racing Game Thread - Grid reboot coming september
by Victor Mildew » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:36 am

Robbo-92 wrote:I’ve been very tempted by a playseat in the past, at this stage I’d need a new wheel as well as my old DFGT isn’t supported by any consoles these days, shame as for the price (picked it up new for £75) it was a cracking wheel.


My g29 is for sale in the trading post if you're interested.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: GR Racing Game Thread - Grid reboot coming september
by Robbo-92 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:49 pm

To be honest again it comes down to space more than anything, plus a good 99% of the time I spend on games these days is on my Switch which sadly just doesn’t have support for any wheels. Who knows if any developers will support any in the future, I’d guess it’s unlikely.

In actual racing related news I’m really hoping to get back on WRC 8 and Grid Autosport once I’ve got Pokémon Shield’s main chunk of content out of the way. Put a few hours into WRC 8 before Pokémon released but since it has its been all go on Pokémon, the 5 or so hours I spent on it were really good though.

Image

Image
User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GR Racing Game Thread - Grid reboot coming september
by Monkey Man » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:12 pm



Codemasters has acquired Project CARS developer Slightly Mad Studios for a $30 million upfront fee.

The acquisition will bring Slightly Mad's racing expertise into the Codemasters organisation, which is also a well established specialist in the genre. The entirety of Slightly Mad's 150-person team will make the transition as part of the deal.

The UK publisher will pay $30 million (£23.3 million) upfront -- $25 million in cash, and $5 million in stock -- but an earnout clause based on Slightly Mad's EBITDA over a three-year period that could take the value higher. A spokesperson briefed GamesIndustry.biz that the maximum possible earnout is $166 million (£128.9 million)

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... for-usd30m

Image
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: GR Racing Game Thread - Grid reboot coming september
by Robbo-92 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:08 pm

Wonder how that will affect their console they were making, doubt Codemasters will want a game to be limited to a console for a few months? I also wonder if they’ll continue with their own games and just release them under the Codemasters brand or if their staff will be redistributed between the F1/DiRT/Grid games.

Image

Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, Balladeer, DarkRula, Duke Washington, JChalmers, kerr9000, Nintendonerd69, Poser, Somebody Else's Problem and 79 guests