GRcade Ranks: The Star Wars Movies - RESULTS PAGE 9

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
LewisD
#grcadesangle
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Ranks: The Star Wars Movies
by LewisD » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:25 am

Oh, and I forgot about the Leia Poppins moment :fp:

User avatar
VlaSoul
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Vtheyoshi

PostRe: GRcade Ranks: The Star Wars Movies
by VlaSoul » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:26 am

Jenuall wrote:Bobba Fett does strawberry float all in reality in the original trilogy and yet the fandom found endless ways to fap over the guy.

I genuinely don't give a strawberry float about boba fett so I was pretty confused about all the mandalorian hype. Like don't get me wrong it's probably a good show, but who strawberry floating cares right?
It's like darth maul; once again who gives a strawberry float, the dude had like one line and I can't even remember what it was.

Image
was Vtheyoshi on (S)ONM
sig made by the venerable Krik
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Ranks: The Star Wars Movies
by DML » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:28 am

I think people who didn't like The Last Jedi thought they knew where it was going, only to be massively shocked when it didn't go the way they wanted.

It's genuinelly one of the best cinema experiences I had purely because so many moments made me gasp. I respected the ballsy nature of it most. It was a beautiful mess, and should have been the finale. The main takeaway was 'what on earth does this leave for the last film' and man that showed in Rise Of Skywalker.

TLJ will ALWAYS be the most divisive film, I totally get it - but people kidding themselves into that being a worse film than Attack Of The Clones...man I don't know what they are smoking. The Red Room alone should be enough.

Image
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Ranks: The Star Wars Movies
by DML » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:29 am

VlaSoul wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Bobba Fett does strawberry float all in reality in the original trilogy and yet the fandom found endless ways to fap over the guy.

I genuinely don't give a strawberry float about boba fett so I was pretty confused about all the mandalorian hype. Like don't get me wrong it's probably a good show, but who strawberry floating cares right?
It's like darth maul; once again who gives a strawberry float, the dude had like one line and I can't even remember what it was.


Sometimes its just enough to have a cool looking character and have peoples minds fill in the blanks.

Image
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Ranks: The Star Wars Movies
by Rex Kramer » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:31 am

VlaSoul wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Bobba Fett does strawberry float all in reality in the original trilogy and yet the fandom found endless ways to fap over the guy.

I genuinely don't give a strawberry float about boba fett so I was pretty confused about all the mandalorian hype. Like don't get me wrong it's probably a good show, but who strawberry floating cares right?
It's like darth maul; once again who gives a strawberry float, the dude had like one line and I can't even remember what it was.

Maul features pretty heavily in Clone Wars and Rebels (and is pretty good in both).

User avatar
Imrahil
Member
Joined in 2013
Location: Location, Location

PostRe: GRcade Ranks: The Star Wars Movies
by Imrahil » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:33 am

Mandalorian is fun on the most part, but doesn't have an ounce of depth to it and is pretty forgettable stuff. I can't even begin to entertain the idea it might be on some kind of equal footing to something as epic as TESB, which runs the gamut of despair, betrayal, love, hope & loss - all happening to characters that we are invested in & are believable, well-developed and unique.

Mandalorian may have some nice moments here & there, but feels like chalk and cheese to me.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Ranks: The Star Wars Movies
by OrangeRKN » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:40 am

DML wrote:I think people who didn't like The Last Jedi thought they knew where it was going, only to be massively shocked when it didn't go the way they wanted.


It subverted my expectations (great) but it also subverted my suspension of disbelief (very bad). That's why I don't like it, not because it didn't "go the way I wanted". I don't need my fantasy fiction to be realistic, but I do need it to be mostly self-consistent.

Image
Image
orkn.uk - @OrangeRakoon - Top 5 Games of 2020 - SW-6533-2461-3235
User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: GRcade Ranks: The Star Wars Movies
by Tomous » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:51 am

OrangeRKN wrote:
DML wrote:I think people who didn't like The Last Jedi thought they knew where it was going, only to be massively shocked when it didn't go the way they wanted.


It subverted my expectations (great) but it also subverted my suspension of disbelief (very bad). That's why I don't like it, not because it didn't "go the way I wanted". I don't need my fantasy fiction to be realistic, but I do need it to be mostly self-consistent.



I really hate it when people say "you just didn't like where it went" about TLJ, for whatever reason it's quite a common defence by people who like it :fp:

I don't dislike it because they went against expectations, I dislike it because the film has so many issues throughout-juvenile out of place humour, cringeworthy moments like the Mary Poppins bit, unnecessary and boring subplots, jarring tone changes and pacing between scenes....it doesn't nearly make up for that by looking amazing and going in different directions.

Image
User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: GRcade Ranks: The Star Wars Movies
by Frank » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:59 am

OrangeRKN wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Then you have the Hyperspace ramming scene which is contentious but I don't think anyone can argue that the impact of it, the visuals and the soundscape, is one of the most effective moments in the films. Again, it's one of the best looking shots in the series.


Honestly I think I got too distracted thinking the premise stupid to give the visual spectacle enough appreciation


There's a lot of chatter about the ramming scene being nonsensical, but I don't think Holdo goes into thinking "yeah this is going to look strawberry floatin' ace", it's more an "aw gooseberry fool I gotta try and buy these guys some time what do I do". It's a desperation move, and it just happens to pay off.

It's the "we gotta pull some holdo manoeuvres" conversation in Rise of Skywalker that presents it as something that they could have done to solve every single problem in the past, which makes it seem a bit ludicrous. And it just happens to be brought up by the worst character in the whole franchise :x strawberry floating Charlie.

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: GRcade Ranks: The Star Wars Movies
by Victor Mildew » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:02 pm

Image

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: GRcade Ranks: The Star Wars Movies
by Moggy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:05 pm

Imrahil wrote:Mandalorian is fun on the most part, but doesn't have an ounce of depth to it and is pretty forgettable stuff. I can't even begin to entertain the idea it might be on some kind of equal footing to something as epic as TESB, which runs the gamut of despair, betrayal, love, hope & loss - all happening to characters that we are invested in & are believable, well-developed and unique.

Mandalorian may have some nice moments here & there, but feels like chalk and cheese to me.


If you're looking for depth, then Star Wars is the wrong series for you...

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Ranks: The Star Wars Movies
by Jenuall » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:07 pm

Frank wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Then you have the Hyperspace ramming scene which is contentious but I don't think anyone can argue that the impact of it, the visuals and the soundscape, is one of the most effective moments in the films. Again, it's one of the best looking shots in the series.


Honestly I think I got too distracted thinking the premise stupid to give the visual spectacle enough appreciation


There's a lot of chatter about the ramming scene being nonsensical, but I don't think Holdo goes into thinking "yeah this is going to look strawberry floatin' ace", it's more an "aw gooseberry fool I gotta try and buy these guys some time what do I do". It's a desperation move, and it just happens to pay off.

It's the "we gotta pull some holdo manoeuvres" conversation in Rise of Skywalker that presents it as something that they could have done to solve every single problem in the past, which makes it seem a bit ludicrous. And it just happens to be brought up by the worst character in the whole franchise :x strawberry floating Charlie.

I still don't really get what problem anyone has with the Hyperspace ramming scene. As you say it's a last ditch attempt to buy some time. Hyperspace has already been established as a thing with potential crashing consequences ""Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova" so what exactly don't people get about the premise?

Lightspeed skipping and Hans "LOL we gunna go to hyperspace from out of the dock for REASONS" bullshit are much more ridiculous.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Ranks: The Star Wars Movies
by OrangeRKN » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:12 pm

It makes hyperspace ramming a thing. It begs the question of why hyperspace ramming hasn't been the preferred method of warfare for the entire series.

Image
Image
orkn.uk - @OrangeRakoon - Top 5 Games of 2020 - SW-6533-2461-3235
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: GRcade Ranks: The Star Wars Movies
by Moggy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:13 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:It makes hyperspace ramming a thing. It begs the question of why hyperspace ramming hasn't been the preferred method of warfare for the entire series.


Because it kills the person performing the manoeuvre?

Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Ranks: The Star Wars Movies
by OrangeRKN » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:14 pm

Moggy wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:It makes hyperspace ramming a thing. It begs the question of why hyperspace ramming hasn't been the preferred method of warfare for the entire series.


Because it kills the person performing the manoeuvre?


Just get R2D2 to strawberry floating do it

Image
Image
orkn.uk - @OrangeRakoon - Top 5 Games of 2020 - SW-6533-2461-3235
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: GRcade Ranks: The Star Wars Movies
by Moggy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:15 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:
Moggy wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:It makes hyperspace ramming a thing. It begs the question of why hyperspace ramming hasn't been the preferred method of warfare for the entire series.


Because it kills the person performing the manoeuvre?


Just get R2D2 to strawberry floating do it


R2D2 is better than 99.99% of human characters.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Ranks: The Star Wars Movies
by Jenuall » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:16 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:It makes hyperspace ramming a thing. It begs the question of why hyperspace ramming hasn't been the preferred method of warfare for the entire series.

Seriously?

That question exists (and has always existed) based on the logic within the series - it contradicts nothing we have learned already.

The reality would be that to build spaceship sized projectiles with both the targeting capacity and hyperspace drive capability to simply use them as brute force weapons would be astronomically expensive and time consuming.

But then the First Order can apparently build a secret armada from out of nowhere and build a weapon the size of a planet so who knows! :lol:

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Ranks: The Star Wars Movies
by OrangeRKN » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:24 pm

Jenuall wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:It makes hyperspace ramming a thing. It begs the question of why hyperspace ramming hasn't been the preferred method of warfare for the entire series.

Seriously?

That question exists (and has always existed) based on the logic within the series - it contradicts nothing we have learned already.


It's about self-consistency in what rules the fictional universe establishes about itself. A setting doesn't need to lay out its rules in full (and actually this is a bad thing to do), but anything it does establish should be consistent with the rest of the setting. Hyperspace ramming isn't a problem before TLJ because it is never put forward as a concept. One might consider the possibility, but equally one can consider there would be some in-universe explanation for why it wouldn't work - we simply don't know it, because we don't need to know it, because it is never a relevant thing.

TLJ makes it a relevant thing. It introduces some limited rules for hyperspace ramming, and those rules appear jarringly inconsistent with the established setting.

Image
Image
orkn.uk - @OrangeRakoon - Top 5 Games of 2020 - SW-6533-2461-3235
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: GRcade Ranks: The Star Wars Movies
by Victor Mildew » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:31 pm

Oh god I forgot about the 10 billion star destroyers magically appear out of the ground bit.

That film is so so gooseberry fool.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Ranks: The Star Wars Movies
by Dowbocop » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:32 pm

LewisD wrote:Oh, and I forgot about the Leia Poppins moment :fp:

Genuinely cannot fathom the hate this scene gets. It's entirely consistent with what Jedi are known to be capable of. Yes it looks a bit weird and if mum jokes are okay for Poe then I think they missed a trick by not having frozen Leia get carried to sick bay under someone's arm like a surfboard, but the way people act like it was a heinous crime against the series is baffling.

Ackbar getting an extra's death is far worse in my opinion.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <]:^D, Albear, Christopher, Cuttooth, Dowbocop, Minty14, Saint of Killers, Skarjo, Squinty, Tafdolphin, Tineash, Vermilion, Zilnad and 100 guests