GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Hime » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:41 am

Rocsteady wrote:
Hime wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:
Hime wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:God I love muscle memory.

Looking swole?

Ye boi.

Not posting numbers anything like you are at present unfortunately though. I was a bit lax over the autumn with consistently going to the gym due to a few different health issues. Even after just a few weeks of running 2/3 times a week and lifting 3 times a week the muscle and strength is starting to pile back on thankfully.

Glad it's coming back. Are you running a programme or just doing your own thing? I started Madcow this year and really enjoying it.

Made the mistake of looking at pictures of last year's cut at around 170-175lbs, feeling like a bit of a fat gooseberry fool at around 200lbs. This is hard in your brain.

You finding it effective for continuing to gain strength? I remember looking at that one a while back, does look as though it would be a fun program to run.

What height are you? I'm at about 195 just now (at 6'1) which is about as heavy as I like to go, can push it up to about 200 max. I find that if I continue to pack on more weight I feel quite sluggish, even if it's muscle that's being added. I'm naturally very skinny so not sure my frame's built to hold too much.

I'm still running an increasingly bastardised version of Layne Norton's PHAT. The base version is too catered towards roid users for my liking. Mine is more of a bodybuilding program than strength which suits me just now. I find it too easy to tweak muscles and put myself out for weeks when I go really heavy nowadays. Building myself back up to about 160kg deadlifts 3x8 just now which shouldn't take long, at which point I'll have to consider where to go from there as I don't have the inclination to try and push myself to extremes as I used to.

Yeah definitely, the three heavy sets on fierce 5 was starting to take it's toll so it's nice to go down to just the one. I talked to the strength and fitness coach at my gym about the assistance exercises and I've got something I really like. To be honest just a change of programme has made things more enjoyable, there are all sorts of things you can adjust in the spreadsheet so I won't be at my previous PR's for a few weeks but the psychological difference of just one top set will make a difference (I hope).

I'm 6 foot but fairly broad, I feel like I look good with a t-shirt on but a bit fluffy without. I'm trying a quick mini cut then back in a surplus until around mid March, I've been bulking since May and an up to 4000 calories so it's nice to have a break from eating all the time. I feel great to be honest, joints feel good, no aches and pains, etc. I think 220lbs and 8% BF is the way to go ;)

That's the sort of programme I'll end up on, the long term plan I set out is Fierce 5 > Madcow > 531. I need the strength stuff just to have a target to hit, pure bodybuilding is so subjective and I'm too paranoid and hard on myself to just judge progress purely on how I look. Could you try looking at an alternative like trap bar or build up RDL's? I do sumo as I feel less like I'll rip the base of my spine out.

Image
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Rocsteady » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:09 am

Hime wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:
Hime wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:
Hime wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:God I love muscle memory.

Looking swole?

Ye boi.

Not posting numbers anything like you are at present unfortunately though. I was a bit lax over the autumn with consistently going to the gym due to a few different health issues. Even after just a few weeks of running 2/3 times a week and lifting 3 times a week the muscle and strength is starting to pile back on thankfully.

Glad it's coming back. Are you running a programme or just doing your own thing? I started Madcow this year and really enjoying it.

Made the mistake of looking at pictures of last year's cut at around 170-175lbs, feeling like a bit of a fat gooseberry fool at around 200lbs. This is hard in your brain.

You finding it effective for continuing to gain strength? I remember looking at that one a while back, does look as though it would be a fun program to run.

What height are you? I'm at about 195 just now (at 6'1) which is about as heavy as I like to go, can push it up to about 200 max. I find that if I continue to pack on more weight I feel quite sluggish, even if it's muscle that's being added. I'm naturally very skinny so not sure my frame's built to hold too much.

I'm still running an increasingly bastardised version of Layne Norton's PHAT. The base version is too catered towards roid users for my liking. Mine is more of a bodybuilding program than strength which suits me just now. I find it too easy to tweak muscles and put myself out for weeks when I go really heavy nowadays. Building myself back up to about 160kg deadlifts 3x8 just now which shouldn't take long, at which point I'll have to consider where to go from there as I don't have the inclination to try and push myself to extremes as I used to.

Yeah definitely, the three heavy sets on fierce 5 was starting to take it's toll so it's nice to go down to just the one. I talked to the strength and fitness coach at my gym about the assistance exercises and I've got something I really like. To be honest just a change of programme has made things more enjoyable, there are all sorts of things you can adjust in the spreadsheet so I won't be at my previous PR's for a few weeks but the psychological difference of just one top set will make a difference (I hope).

I'm 6 foot but fairly broad, I feel like I look good with a t-shirt on but a bit fluffy without. I'm trying a quick mini cut then back in a surplus until around mid March, I've been bulking since May and an up to 4000 calories so it's nice to have a break from eating all the time. I feel great to be honest, joints feel good, no aches and pains, etc. I think 220lbs and 8% BF is the way to go ;)

That's the sort of programme I'll end up on, the long term plan I set out is Fierce 5 > Madcow > 531. I need the strength stuff just to have a target to hit, pure bodybuilding is so subjective and I'm too paranoid and hard on myself to just judge progress purely on how I look. Could you try looking at an alternative like trap bar or build up RDL's? I do sumo as I feel less like I'll rip the base of my spine out.

I would imagine having only one top set would help massively, I was always at my strongest running 1x6 max sets.

To be fair it’s the time of year to be hitting that shape, good to be filling out jumpers etc. My comparative laziness has left me with some fat over my stomach so I need to try strip that off while still growin in the chest, arms, glutes, thighs. Should be easily possible as I’ve found the body basically remembers the shape it’s been in previously to a large extent (not sure that’s backed by science but it’s defo easier to get back than gaining it the first time round...)

I kind of agree with the strength although for a long time I can just increase reps - e.g. work up to 3x12 bench 100kg rather than 1x5. Does fry your CNS when you do similar with deadlifts though. I’m so comfortable with regular dead’s that I’m reluctant to change tbh, might give sumo a go sometime just for variation though.

Image
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Oblomov Boblomov » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:27 am

12 reps for 100kg bench? Jesus, I can only dream of ever hitting those sorts of numbers. Been training bench for years and resigned now that 5 reps at 90kg is my absolute limit. Barely hitting 85kg now and I'm not exactly out of shape at the moment.

Image
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by That's not a growth » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:56 am

I've only got back into lifting recently after a year off. My numbers were crap then and they're like a beginner now, but it's nice to be back and I'm starting to see some changes which is promising. Seeing your guys numbers is insane.

My main measurable goals right now are cardio based. At Christmas I went for a couple of runs, and ran 9.5km in 44 min, which I was ecstatic about. I was out for a few months at the beginning of the year from an ankle injury, but even before that my best was about 52 mins for a 10k. My long terms goals are to get to a 40 min 10k, and then (eventually) a 1:30 half marathon. I know these will be difficult - especially the half marathon since I've not done anything more than a 10k in a couple of years.

I'm lifting about 3 times a week and making slow, but steady, progress. I'm currently doing a push/pull/legs routine where I tend to alternate lifts each week from 5x3 to 12x3 (but different weights) - which feels like a good all-round way of doing things for me, considering how much I diversify in general.

I'm swimming a couple of times a week, and looking to get back into cycling - as I intend to do another few sprint triathlons, and want to build up over the next few years to longer versions.

I've had a few comments about my weight looking better which is nice. I've only actually lost about 6kg in the last 6 months, but I guess I've gained some muscle which will improve things greater than this number implies.

Not a bad starting point for the year.

User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Rocsteady » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:13 am

I Shot A Kid wrote:12 reps for 100kg bench? Jesus, I can only dream of ever hitting those sorts of numbers. Been training bench for years and resigned now that 5 reps at 90kg is my absolute limit. Barely hitting 85kg now and I'm not exactly out of shape at the moment.

That's not to say I'm hitting those numbers currently! Give me a few months ;)

I often plateau at 90kg for a while too, I think for me it's psychological as much as anything else. Putting on 1.25 plates and lowering rep count has helped me break through it before.

Nice run numbers TNAG, when I look at the running thread everyone here puts me to shame. Takes me about half an hour to do 5km and I'm fairly comfortable with that, definitely not my strong point although I am trying to improve.

Image
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by That's not a growth » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:23 pm

I found fartlek / sprints are the thing that really improved my running speed. Once a week I would do something like:

4 x 5 min loops:
[4:30 - 7kmph] [0:30 - 12kmph]

Then each week I would increase certain things, for example if the about was week 1, then week 2 could look like:

4 x 5min loops:
[4:28 - 7.1kmph] [0:32 - 12.1kmph]

I broke it down into 3 variables:
amount of loops
time for sprint
speed

But in reality I concentrated on increasing 1 at a time. So I built it up so I could do 8 loops (with occasionally increasing the others), then primarily increased the speed, then primarily increased the time for the sprints.

I found it made running goals more like that of weight lifting, which was good for my motivation as I've found I need slow, steady progress to stop me loosing interest.

User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Rocsteady » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:25 pm

Couldn't even make 5k today before my calves completely seized up :fp: think I need a few day rest from running.

Been trying to do yoga a few times a week as well (just following YouTube videos) to prevent moving like a 70 year old. After over a decade of consistent lifting with minimal stretching my body's strawberry floating stiff as a board.

Image
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by That's not a growth » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:25 pm

When I first started stretching regularly it took months for me to really notice the difference, but my back hasn't had an issue since (my back was my main issue - pulled it loads of times in the past - but I found stretching my legs registry fixed it. I can now even touch my toes, when before I could only reach about an inch below my knee).

User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by ITSMILNER » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:53 pm

Sorry if this is a noob question, when you guys mention the weights you are lifting (90kg bench for instance) do you include the weight of the bar in your numbers or just the disc weights you add on?

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by That's not a growth » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:58 pm

Yeah, includes the bar.

User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by ITSMILNER » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:38 am

Done chest today, this is what I manage to hit (these are all done on the bench press racks with the Olympic bar)

Flat bench - 87.5kg 1 x 5 reps | 85kg 4 x 5
Incline bench - 77.5kg 1 x 5 | 75kg 4 x 5
Decline bench - same as incline
Finish with 4 lots of push ups to failure

Quite happy with this at the moment, need to focus on pushing through and hitting 90kg on flat but that 2.5kg jump feels huge at the moment.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Hime » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:01 am

ITSMILNER wrote:Done chest today, this is what I manage to hit (these are all done on the bench press racks with the Olympic bar)

Flat bench - 87.5kg 1 x 5 reps | 85kg 4 x 5
Incline bench - 77.5kg 1 x 5 | 75kg 4 x 5
Decline bench - same as incline
Finish with 4 lots of push ups to failure

Quite happy with this at the moment, need to focus on pushing through and hitting 90kg on flat but that 2.5kg jump feels huge at the moment.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were you I'd lower the weight for everything other than flat bench, it's a bit much to expect to hit the same muscle group with 4 heavy sets per exercise.

If you want to improve your flat bench treat that as your main lift use your accessory lifts to complement it or just do a straight up strength programme.

Image
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Rocsteady » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:28 am

ITSMILNER wrote:Done chest today, this is what I manage to hit (these are all done on the bench press racks with the Olympic bar)

Flat bench - 87.5kg 1 x 5 reps | 85kg 4 x 5
Incline bench - 77.5kg 1 x 5 | 75kg 4 x 5
Decline bench - same as incline
Finish with 4 lots of push ups to failure

Quite happy with this at the moment, need to focus on pushing through and hitting 90kg on flat but that 2.5kg jump feels huge at the moment.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice numbers, you got a full program on the go?

My lower back keeps tweaking out is very annoying, having to skip squats/deads for the week.

Image
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by ITSMILNER » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:56 pm

Rocsteady wrote:
ITSMILNER wrote:Done chest today, this is what I manage to hit (these are all done on the bench press racks with the Olympic bar)

Flat bench - 87.5kg 1 x 5 reps | 85kg 4 x 5
Incline bench - 77.5kg 1 x 5 | 75kg 4 x 5
Decline bench - same as incline
Finish with 4 lots of push ups to failure

Quite happy with this at the moment, need to focus on pushing through and hitting 90kg on flat but that 2.5kg jump feels huge at the moment.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Nice numbers, you got a full program on the go?[quote]

I am isolating so will do Chest one day and Back another.... trying to keep increasing as much as i can. Few guys in the gym are helping round out my plan as well.

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Oblomov Boblomov » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:01 pm

If you can smash through that 90kg barrier, you're a stronger man than I!

Godspeed.

Image
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by ITSMILNER » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:37 pm

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:If you can smash through that 90kg barrier, you're a stronger man than I!

Godspeed.


I’m hoping to push through it but damn that extra 2.5kg seems so god damn heavy right now :slol:

Back wise, my current set up is

Deadlifts - 110kg 5x5 reps (I know I can get higher on this but I’m increasing gradually every week)
Dumbbell shrugs - 35kg 5x5
Dumbell rows - 35kg 5x5
Pull-ups - 5 sets to failure

What exercises do you guys do for biceps/triceps? I try to throw a few in at the end of a chest or back workout, mostly dips/ close grip press or chin ups/bicep curls

Last edited by ITSMILNER on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Rocsteady » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:38 pm

You're at basically 90kg bench with no plan? How long have you been lifting for?

Image
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by ITSMILNER » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:45 pm

Rocsteady wrote:You're at basically 90kg bench with no plan? How long have you been lifting for?


Been lifting since last year but I was doing 4 sets of 8 reps and was hitting a ceiling at around 75kg in flat bench. Now I’ve switched to a 5x5 and have been able to increase that weight.

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Rocsteady » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:47 pm

Nice, good on. Working my way back up, hit 80kg 3x8 earlier. Trying to be sensible with my back so taking it all slowly, got some meetings in London at the end of Feb by which time I'm wanting to be 3x10 on a 90kg bench.

Image
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by ITSMILNER » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:54 pm

3x10 at 90kg :shock:

How long you been lifting Roc?

Long Live Switch Squad!

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DarkRula, Dowbocop, gaminglegend, Gemini73, Godzilla, Google [Bot], Lex-Man, more heat than light, Oblomov Boblomov, Photek, Red 5 stella, Snowcannon, Wrathy, Xeno, Yoshimi and 55 guests