GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Rocsteady » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:01 am

Harry Bizzle wrote:Thanks. I'm not too fussed if I don't look good in a shirt. I don't really care what people think of how I look an I tend to wear baggy stuff in the gym to hide my power level, anyway.

My main reasons for wanting to get to around 10% are to see if I can do it, to be able to bulk and cut up and down between 10 and 15% and being in that range also helps make more meaningful comparisons comparing my own weight with other people of my height.

Have had a look at some comparisons and reckon I'm about 15%. Would post an accurate pic but I caught my reflection in a car window the other day and have decided to only acknowledge my own existence in convex mirrors.

Image

I don't have any plans to be on a beach any time soon but might try to park a giant car right on the shore so people get the full experience at all times.

Are you on a cycle? Absolute beast.

Image
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Hime » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:02 am

Jealous of that chest development :cry:

I get what you're saying man but it's impossible to give an accurate body fat calculation, especially from pictures like that. I think a better way to judge is cut down to when you have veins in your abdominals (if you're trying to be super lean) and bulk slowly until you start to get a little fluffy and start again.

First order for the home gym is in 8-) . Decided to skip the pulley as it came as part of a bundle so I decided to put the money towards a better barbell as bulldog fitness just got some back in stock.

Image
User avatar
Harry Bizzle
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Harry Bizzle » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:29 am

Rocsteady wrote:Are you on a cycle? Absolute beast.


Living that natty life, sadly. I'm pretty skinny in a proper pic. I'm only about 77kg at 6ft. Lifts are nothing to write home about.

I think I will probably keep going for another 4-6 weeks, maybe until things like veins start to come in as Hime says and then aim for a mass phase, hopefully around the same time I can get back in the gym.


As a side note, I am absolutely hating training at the moment. I got two 12kg kettlebells and two 5kg dumbbells at the start of lockdown and the only way I can really get a half decent workout in is to do nearly every set to failure and only take about 10 seconds in between sets (I just take 5 deep breaths and carry on)

A leg workout starts off with about 6 or 7 sets of squats to failure with 5 deep breaths between sets and I absolutely hate it and am destroyed by the end of that. Genuinely feel like I'm going to puke by the end of it.

Getting back in the gym and just squatting heavy weight with a leisurely 2 minutes in between sets is going to feel so damn easy after this.

instagram: @habiz
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Saint of Killers » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:46 am

If you want to go OTT: find a DEXA scan. I'm gonna guess it'll be costly, though.

https://www.bodyscanuk.com/

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Harry Bizzle
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Harry Bizzle » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:00 pm

Saint of Killers wrote:If you want to go OTT: find a DEXA scan. I'm gonna guess it'll be costly, though.

https://www.bodyscanuk.com/


There’s a place near me called the Oxford biobank which collects samples for studies and they do a dexa and some blood tests when you enroll, for free (obviously they use the data for their work).

I contacted them yesterday and they’re starting up again in September, so definitely going to try and get that done, more out of curiosity than anything else. I think they vary quite a lot when people get them done in terms of how lean someone looks and I wouldn’t pay for one but for free I’m super keen.

instagram: @habiz
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Hime » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:16 pm

Harry Bizzle wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:If you want to go OTT: find a DEXA scan. I'm gonna guess it'll be costly, though.

https://www.bodyscanuk.com/


There’s a place near me called the Oxford biobank which collects samples for studies and they do a dexa and some blood tests when you enroll, for free (obviously they use the data for their work).

I contacted them yesterday and they’re starting up again in September, so definitely going to try and get that done, more out of curiosity than anything else. I think they vary quite a lot when people get them done in terms of how lean someone looks and I wouldn’t pay for one but for free I’m super keen.

Dexa scans aren't 100%, they can be tricked. We've got one near us and I have contemplated getting one before but I'm not really sure why.

If you don't watch him already Greg Doucette does lots of videos on the topic.

I feel the same about my training, hurt my wrist at golf last week and can't hold my weight on it in the press up position. Normally I'd strap it up and find a way to power through but I don't really see the point to do sub optimal training.

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Saint of Killers » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:22 pm

Found some of the videos in question. Will check 'em out later. Cheers. (I'm a long way off from worrying about it, but I would like to get it done at some point. Though obviously not if the results can vary wildly or be otherwise manipulated.)

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Hime » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:48 pm

Saint of Killers wrote:Found some of the videos in question. Will check 'em out later. Cheers. (I'm a long way off from worrying about it, but I would like to get it done at some point. Though obviously not if the results can vary wildly or be otherwise manipulated.)

There is the accuracy but also what you're achieving. Something that struck a chord with me was if you're happy with how you look or your athletic ability is a number on the dexa going to change that? Vice versa obviously.

Image
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Hime » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:51 am

Do any of you guys know what sort of spec you should be looking for with home gym equipment? I don't want to spend too little and get some piece of rubbish (that still costs hundreds) but also don't want something way beyond what I could ever need.

I'm looking at this power rack: https://againfaster.eu/en_gb/pre-order/again-faster-evolution-power-rack.html

but this is the squat rack I was looking at:https://www.proplatesonline.com/product-page/heavy-duty-squat-rack

Image
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Rocsteady » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:00 am

I'm absolutely no expert but that power rack looks great to me. Max up to 315kg should last you a while!

Image
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Hime » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:08 am

Rocsteady wrote:I'm absolutely no expert but that power rack looks great to me. Max up to 315kg should last you a while!

That was my thought, it's just a bit cheaper than most power racks I've seen and 2' by 2' might be a little bit flimsy.

Image
User avatar
blackoutHERO
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Scotland

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by blackoutHERO » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:37 am

Power rack all day. This isn't something you'll want to upgrade in a couple years so the investment of extra hundred or even two hundred quid is well worth it.

Cheaper ones tend to be narrower which is a pain in the arse for hand placement on squats. Mine is a £400 power rack and it's still narrower than I'd like.

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Hime » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:12 pm

blackoutHERO wrote:Power rack all day. This isn't something you'll want to upgrade in a couple years so the investment of extra hundred or even two hundred quid is well worth it.

Cheaper ones tend to be narrower which is a pain in the arse for hand placement on squats. Mine is a £400 power rack and it's still narrower than I'd like.

Yeah that's my thought process, I'd rather spend £600 now and be good forever rather than spend £300 and be disappointed and have to upgrade.

What do you think of these two from the same sites:

https://www.proplatesonline.com/product-page/heavy-duty-power-cage

https://againfaster.eu/en_gb/strength-equipment/team-power-rack.html

I've been talking a lot with pro plates and they've been really good but the again faster rack can be upgraded with plate storage, dip horns, pulleys, etc which really appeals.

Image
User avatar
blackoutHERO
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Scotland

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by blackoutHERO » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:05 pm

They looks great yeah. I've never had a problem with mine: https://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bo ... -rack.php#

Bit cheaper and yeah, has been fine for me. Out of the two you posted I'd go for the Again Faster one.

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Hime » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:08 am

blackoutHERO wrote:They looks great yeah. I've never had a problem with mine: https://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bo ... -rack.php#

Bit cheaper and yeah, has been fine for me. Out of the two you posted I'd go for the Again Faster one.

If you were to buy again would you stick with the one you've bought or pay more for one that's a bit wider? Sorry for all the questions but it's a reasonable amount of money.

What flooring do you have? I'm going to build a deadlift platform and was thinking I'd just make it 8ft square and put it in that but I do wonder if I'd be better off putting mats down and just building a 4ft by 8ft deadlift platform.

Image
User avatar
blackoutHERO
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Scotland

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by blackoutHERO » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:16 am

If I was to train at home full time then I would get something wider if space permitted. Would probably get something custom built to specifications of my training space but yes I'd pay more for something better. Never had an issue with current one but I know this is something I'll do until I die so would be worth getting best I could afford. Not just for weight limits but for overall life (rust, structural issues etc.).

I have generic foam gym flooring. Then I just have two bits of hardwood maybe an inch thick which slot into the squat rack. Then for deadlifting I've just got a long sheet of wood, not very thick wood. Again, if it was a full time thing, I'd make a proper floor for rack and deadlift platform in front of it. My current deadlift wood is gooseberry fool and I'm basically lifting from a deficit because of the wear and tear. I'll take a photo tonight of my set up when I'm squatting.

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Hime » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:36 am

blackoutHERO wrote:If I was to train at home full time then I would get something wider if space permitted. Would probably get something custom built to specifications of my training space but yes I'd pay more for something better. Never had an issue with current one but I know this is something I'll do until I die so would be worth getting best I could afford. Not just for weight limits but for overall life (rust, structural issues etc.).

I have generic foam gym flooring. Then I just have two bits of hardwood maybe an inch thick which slot into the squat rack. Then for deadlifting I've just got a long sheet of wood, not very thick wood. Again, if it was a full time thing, I'd make a proper floor for rack and deadlift platform in front of it. My current deadlift wood is gooseberry fool and I'm basically lifting from a deficit because of the wear and tear. I'll take a photo tonight of my set up when I'm squatting.

Thanks man. I'm in two mindsets, go big and my home gym can be everything I want it to be, as you say this is something I will be doing forever. Alternatively I go half way and keep a gym membership as it's an awesome gym and only £35 a month. The thing is my wife and I are trying to start a family plus I do shift work and have a double garage sitting there doing nothing. Getting too and from the gym is a 45 minute round trip plus waiting for stuff I feel like it is the best use of time and money.

*Edit* the next conundrum is what bench to get, strawberry float me adjustable benches are expensive.

Image
User avatar
blackoutHERO
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Scotland

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by blackoutHERO » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:58 am

I think it would be worth it. Even if you start with the rack, bench, good bar and weights. Then can build from there. I think if you are starting a family, shift work and all that then the convenience of taking 1.5 hours out of your 'gym time' will be priceless. I know when I moved to Melbourne and my brother took my weights into his garage he was able to train once kids had gone to bed or whatever and it's just an hour in the evening while his wife watched Love island. Rather than 2-3 hours including a drive.

User avatar
BTB
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ashtead

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by BTB » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:18 pm

Weighed myself for the first time in lockdown yesterday and it seems I've gone down 3/4kgs :shock: . Doing more running and less weights (home workouts with body weight/resistance bands), so does make sense, but didn't think it would be that much as generally my weight doesn't change much and I'm very slow to gain weight.

User avatar
blackoutHERO
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Scotland

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by blackoutHERO » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:20 pm

Hime wrote:
blackoutHERO wrote:If I was to train at home full time then I would get something wider if space permitted. Would probably get something custom built to specifications of my training space but yes I'd pay more for something better. Never had an issue with current one but I know this is something I'll do until I die so would be worth getting best I could afford. Not just for weight limits but for overall life (rust, structural issues etc.).

I have generic foam gym flooring. Then I just have two bits of hardwood maybe an inch thick which slot into the squat rack. Then for deadlifting I've just got a long sheet of wood, not very thick wood. Again, if it was a full time thing, I'd make a proper floor for rack and deadlift platform in front of it. My current deadlift wood is gooseberry fool and I'm basically lifting from a deficit because of the wear and tear. I'll take a photo tonight of my set up when I'm squatting.

Thanks man. I'm in two mindsets, go big and my home gym can be everything I want it to be, as you say this is something I will be doing forever. Alternatively I go half way and keep a gym membership as it's an awesome gym and only £35 a month. The thing is my wife and I are trying to start a family plus I do shift work and have a double garage sitting there doing nothing. Getting too and from the gym is a 45 minute round trip plus waiting for stuff I feel like it is the best use of time and money.

*Edit* the next conundrum is what bench to get, strawberry float me adjustable benches are expensive.


My wood and 9mm MDF deadlift platform.
Image


See how the rings are close to the edges. My grip is narrow enough to not be too much of an issue now but I had a wider grip before and I nipped my hand skin couple times re-reacking :dread:
Image


My bench
Image


Return to “Stuff”