Hardcore History - The Best Podcast You'll Ever Listen To

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Hardcore History - The Best Podcast You'll Ever Listen To
by Monkey Man » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:24 am



Out now. 4hrs long. :toot:

Image
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Hardcore History - The Best Podcast You'll Ever Listen To
by Alvin Flummux » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:39 pm

:toot: :toot: At last!

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Hardcore History - The Best Podcast You'll Ever Listen To
by Moggy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:23 pm

A new HH addendum came out yesterday. It’s Dan talking to the guy from History on Fire, they range from why it is silly to say Hitler was left wing to picking the US President that they would like to come back.

And searching for this thread has probably just gotten me sacked. When using the GR search for “hardcore” I was confronted with an access denied page because of “sex”. :lol:

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Hardcore History - The Best Podcast You'll Ever Listen To
by Preezy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:43 pm

I've got that on my list to listen to, can't wait. I think I mentioned History on Fire earlier in the thread, but if you haven't checked out the channel I'd highly recommend it. He did a series on the gladiators of ancient Rome that was amazing, and plenty of his other episodes and series are worth a listen, including the Spartacus uprising, Joan of Arc, the 47 Ronin and a really long series about the conquest of Mexico by Cortes.

User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Hardcore History - The Best Podcast You'll Ever Listen To
by Alvin Flummux » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:09 am

For anyone who has listened to Blueprint For Armageddon and was wondering what Drumfire might've sounded like:



Multiply by several orders of magnitude to account for the days it might last for, as well as the smoke, earth tremors, screams etc.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Hardcore History - The Best Podcast You'll Ever Listen To
by Preezy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:38 am

Alvin Flummux wrote:Drumfire :dread:

Yeah, I'd definitely go insane if I had to endure days of that crouched in the wet mud surrounded by corpses that were being constantly churned up.

Grim.

User avatar
1cmanny1
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: New Zealand

PostRe: Hardcore History - The Best Podcast You'll Ever Listen To
by 1cmanny1 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:05 am

I've always wondered about that.
You think you would go insane - but you think you would go insane due to the new neighbours kid screaming next door. But you get used to it.

Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Hardcore History - The Best Podcast You'll Ever Listen To
by Preezy » Tue May 14, 2019 2:41 pm

For those of you who listen to History On Fire, bad news - 13 of the 15 episodes he does per year are now going behind a paywall on Luminary, this new podcast app. Most of his back catalogue is also going behind the subscription service.

Real shame, but I'm just not prepared to suddenly have to pay for something that was previously available for free.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Hardcore History - The Best Podcast You'll Ever Listen To
by Tafdolphin » Tue May 14, 2019 2:52 pm

Preezy wrote:For those of you who listen to History On Fire, bad news - 13 of the 15 episodes he does per year are now going behind a paywall on Luminary, this new podcast app. Most of his back catalogue is also going behind the subscription service.

Real shame, but I'm just not prepared to suddenly have to pay for something that was previously available for free.


As an alternative to this, I can highly recommend Mike Duncan's output, namely Revolutions and The History of Rome.

Both great.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Yikes
Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Hardcore History - The Best Podcast You'll Ever Listen To
by Moggy » Tue May 14, 2019 2:54 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Preezy wrote:For those of you who listen to History On Fire, bad news - 13 of the 15 episodes he does per year are now going behind a paywall on Luminary, this new podcast app. Most of his back catalogue is also going behind the subscription service.

Real shame, but I'm just not prepared to suddenly have to pay for something that was previously available for free.


As an alternative to this, I can highly recommend Mike Duncan's output, namely Revolutions and The History of Rome.

Both great.


Second.

He is starting the Russian revolution soon. :datass:

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Hardcore History - The Best Podcast You'll Ever Listen To
by Preezy » Tue May 14, 2019 3:27 pm

I'll have to check him out, thanks guys.

Still going to miss that rich Italian accent though :(

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Hardcore History - The Best Podcast You'll Ever Listen To
by Moggy » Tue May 14, 2019 3:31 pm

Preezy wrote:I'll have to check him out, thanks guys.

Still going to miss that rich Italian accent though :(


Start with History of Rome and stick with it, it takes him a while to get into the swing of things. The episodes are all pretty short so even the dry episodes at the start fly by.


Return to “Stuff”