Hbomberguy is livestreaming Donkey Kong 64 to spite the transphobe Graham Linehan

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Hbomberguy is livestreaming Donkey Kong 64 to spite the transphobe Graham Linehan
by Tomous » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:44 pm

Balladeer wrote:The real controversy in this (because every sensible person agrees that trans rights are cool and they should be allowed to go to their desired toilet) is whether DK64 was any good.

I maintain it wasn't. The levels in particular felt so unmemorable after B-K. And the minigames... there were far too many minigames, including any Beaver Bother at all.


I think Rare just lost all sense of structure with DK64. After the success of BK they wanted MORE! MORE COLLECTABLES! MORE MINIGAMES! MORE CHARACTERS! And completely lost a sense of what made games like BK and Super Mario 64 so fun to the point where there was no discovery or sense of exploration, just tedious repetition.

But back in 1999 we were all taken in by the DK Rap.

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Hbomberguy is livestreaming Donkey Kong 64 to spite the transphobe Graham Linehan
by Squinty » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:12 am

Tomous wrote:
Balladeer wrote:The real controversy in this (because every sensible person agrees that trans rights are cool and they should be allowed to go to their desired toilet) is whether DK64 was any good.

I maintain it wasn't. The levels in particular felt so unmemorable after B-K. And the minigames... there were far too many minigames, including any Beaver Bother at all.


I think Rare just lost all sense of structure with DK64. After the success of BK they wanted MORE! MORE COLLECTABLES! MORE MINIGAMES! MORE CHARACTERS! And completely lost a sense of what made games like BK and Super Mario 64 so fun to the point where there was no discovery or sense of exploration, just tedious repetition.

But back in 1999 we were all taken in by the DK Rap.


They kept pushing the collectable aspect further and further, to the point where it where it lacked focus and felt very fillerish. Also, the levels were simply too big. Tooie has a lot of the same issues.

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Hbomberguy is livestreaming Donkey Kong 64 to spite the transphobe Graham Linehan
by Hexx » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:33 am

I remember enjoying DK64 at the time.
But I couldn't really describe it to you now (other than SO MANY THINGS to collect)
Whereas SM64 and BK I could describe a lot of lovely memories and moments

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Hbomberguy is livestreaming Donkey Kong 64 to spite the transphobe Graham Linehan
by Drumstick » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:49 am

Balladeer wrote:The real controversy in this is whether DK64 was any good.

I maintain it wasn't. The levels in particular felt so unmemorable after B-K.

I have to say I totally disagree. Obviously there is some crossover, but the only one that I would say is outright close to being similar to a B-K counterpart is Angry Aztec. There are elements to Creepy Castle that are reminiscent of Mad Monster Mansion and the night and day mechanic is kind of Fungi Forest's version of Click Clock Wood's four seasons. But otherwise I think the levels foster their own atmosphere instead of attempting to copy or inherit anything from B-K. Frantic Factory in particular is a brilliant level. Creepy Castle and Gloomy Galleon have atmospheres that are off the chart. And whilst the levels are vast, they are crammed with things to do and puzzles to unlock.

I can see your point about the mini-games, something like a fifth of all the golden bananas in the game are won via mini-games, but personally it never bothered me.

Squinty wrote:They kept pushing the collectable aspect further and further, to the point where it where it lacked focus and felt very fillerish. Also, the levels were simply too big. Tooie has a lot of the same issues.

Tooie’s main problem is backtracking and the levels being overly large because there isn’t enough to do in them to justify them being the size that they are. DK64 doesn’t have this problem at all. It’s isn’t like in BOTW where you have a colossal game world where the activities within are at times quite sparse.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Hbomberguy is livestreaming Donkey Kong 64 to spite the transphobe Graham Linehan
by Ironhide » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:44 pm

Karl wrote:Image


That reminds me of Jim Sterling for some reason.

Image
User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Hbomberguy is livestreaming Donkey Kong 64 to spite the transphobe Graham Linehan
by Chocolate-Milk » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:47 pm

Probably the red backdrop and leather gloves.

Image
User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

PostRe: Hbomberguy is livestreaming Donkey Kong 64 to spite the transphobe Graham Linehan
by Somebody Else's Problem » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:57 pm

mic wrote:BUT YOU LOT DON'T ACCEPT OTHER FORMS OF BODY DYSMORPHIA!

So why this one?


This one doesn't kill people.

Image
User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Hbomberguy is livestreaming Donkey Kong 64 to spite the transphobe Graham Linehan
by Pedz » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:32 pm

Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
mic wrote:BUT YOU LOT DON'T ACCEPT OTHER FORMS OF BODY DYSMORPHIA!

So why this one?


This one doesn't kill people.


TBH, I think he's on about people like the woman that was on This Morning the other day. It was a German lady who identifies as a black lady. She had had tanning injections to make her skin black and surgery to.

ImageImage
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Hbomberguy is livestreaming Donkey Kong 64 to spite the transphobe Graham Linehan
by Green Gecko » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:43 pm

more heat than light wrote:
Hexx wrote:Or is it just the idea that a secret man could be in there? They went through years of treatments (and surgeries) and made life altering choices that would expose just to sit next to Bev from accounting the bog. strawberry floating men, right? :x


So much this. The trans discussion always heads straight to 'sex perverts' for some people. If I really wanted to go and hang about in the girls toilets there are easier ways to go about it. So I've heard. :shifty:

The thing that always confuses me about the fear surrounding trans women in cis-female only spaces is the total ignorance regarding the likelihood that, if there were any real danger, it would be presented just as much by other cis women. As a woman, you are probably as likely to be attacked or raped or abused in some other way (given what kind of gooseberry fool happens in vulnerably public spaces like that anyway) by other women "born as" women, for example, a lesbian (just to play on the denigrated fear of the individual aspect here), or a sexually disturbed woman, or a strawberry floating murderous banana split with anger management issues or whatever. The idea that even a small majority of trans women are perverted sex offenders is even if that were 1% true downright wrong. I can't see any justification outside of this than sheer fear.

And with that, besides the obvious expectation that men will abuse women in shared facilities... do we even need those? I've been plenty of places with unisex toilets (and some places in brighton with one or two unisex toilets and male/female toilets - one of which I was involved in putting into place) and I haven't seen or heard of an increase in sexual offences.

btw Cal, having any length of prolonged sexual relationship with a transsexual person doesn't automatically qualify you to discredit almost everyone else's views without, well, making any kind of point at all, no matter how much you embolden the statement.

mic wrote:Also, why do you all know so much about this subject? I'm reading my arse off here!

Well I for one and apparently some people in this thread have engaged at length with LGBTQ and transexual individuals because they are interested in understanding them, not their perspective on them. It's a sort of cognitive empathy, and I don't need to do any reading (i.e. consult non-fiction - although I would not recommend the internet for that) to practice this. If someone tells me they are a woman but want to become a man, or they already feel they are one, I shut up and listen to them because their is nothing in my experience that is constructive input, other than a few experiences of being bicurious or, probably, not entirely heterosexual. By knowing I can't really relate to them because I am not them, I automatically qualify their experience because I am far behind the minute façade presented to me at that point to possibly relate to them better than they can explain themselves to me because, well, I was born with a dick and I call myself a man. So, that's a pretty big disqualification for assuming their knowledge is not interesting or valid, because I know better already;- that is the core of the discrimination problem - people assuming they know it all when they know extremely little about the views they not only have, but purport to have on behalf of others, and that those views are irrevocably correct.

That and I was born in Brighton which pretty much means you are 10% gay because of the high content of lime in the water and proximity to parades here, and it wouldn't be a big stretch to suggest there's a higher likelihood of being exposed to gayness.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Hbomberguy is livestreaming Donkey Kong 64 to spite the transphobe Graham Linehan
by Skarjo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:15 am

mic wrote:BUT YOU LOT DON'T ACCEPT OTHER FORMS OF BODY DYSMORPHIA!

So why this one?


Just on this point, because others have covered the other points eloquently, being trans is not a type of body dysmorphia.

Body dysmorphia results in a distorted recognition of your own body. This is why anorexics still consider themselves overweight. Trans people are under no illusion as to what their body, in reality, is. However, the body that they recognise doesn't fit their gender, and so the better term is gender dysmorphia.

The second point is that the reason why we approach the two situations differently is that, for want of a better word, recognition of the persons identified gender through social interaction, GRS and HRT works. Trans people have amongst the highest depression, anxiety and suicide rates of any demographic, and multiple treatment approaches have been tried, from therapy to hormones that make them feel more like their biological sex and more, and these all failed miserably. But acknowledging, recognising and supporting their right and ability to live as the gender they align with just outright works better than any other treatment model.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a science teacher and came at this with a very bullish 'can't change your genes, male=man female=woman' view, but luckily through listening to the experiences of trans people and having those biological essentialist views challenged and realising they held precisely strawberry float all water, I changed my mind.

Blue Eyes wrote:No wonder I'm eating my balls instead of sweets.

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Hbomberguy is livestreaming Donkey Kong 64 to spite the transphobe Graham Linehan
by Green Gecko » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:27 am

That and it's very hard to claim any other conclusion if one were not to believe another's gender identity given the pains they will go to some lengths to elucidate (if you ever ask), besides "mentally ill" (as it were in the past and now essentially outlawed) or simply "you are wrong about yourself, and must be lying". Which is, well, a bit gooseberry fool.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: London
Contact:

PostRe: Hbomberguy is livestreaming Donkey Kong 64 to spite the transphobe Graham Linehan
by Venom » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:29 am


User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Hbomberguy is livestreaming Donkey Kong 64 to spite the transphobe Graham Linehan
by Moggy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:32 am

Green Gecko wrote:The thing that always confuses me about the fear surrounding trans women in cis-female only spaces is the total ignorance regarding the likelihood that, if there were any real danger, it would be presented just as much by other cis women. As a woman, you are probably as likely to be attacked or raped or abused in some other way (given what kind of gooseberry fool happens in vulnerably public spaces like that anyway) by other women "born as" women, for example, a lesbian (just to play on the denigrated fear of the individual aspect here), or a sexually disturbed woman, or a strawberry floating murderous banana split with anger management issues or whatever. The idea that even a small majority of trans women are perverted sex offenders is even if that were 1% true downright wrong. I can't see any justification outside of this than sheer fear.


It is such a bizarre fear, especially when you consider what most female toilets are like. You go into a room (women seem to be allowed in other rooms with men) and then into a private cubicle to do your business. The idea that a male sex offender is going to go and buy a dress just so that they can walk into a public toilet and then smash down a cubicle door is laughable.

It’s not like men’s toilets where you literally have to stand there exposing yourself to anybody that wants to take a peek.

User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Hbomberguy is livestreaming Donkey Kong 64 to spite the transphobe Graham Linehan
by Pedz » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:35 am

Found a traitor, boys.

Image

ImageImage
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Hbomberguy is livestreaming Donkey Kong 64 to spite the transphobe Graham Linehan
by Skarjo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:59 am

Moggy wrote:The idea that a male sex offender is going to go and buy a dress just so that they can walk into a public toilet and then smash down a cubicle door is laughable.


"Sorry, he was pretending to be a transwoman, there's literally nothing we can do to prevent or punish this"

Blue Eyes wrote:No wonder I'm eating my balls instead of sweets.

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Hbomberguy is livestreaming Donkey Kong 64 to spite the transphobe Graham Linehan
by Moggy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:56 am

Skarjo wrote:
Moggy wrote:The idea that a male sex offender is going to go and buy a dress just so that they can walk into a public toilet and then smash down a cubicle door is laughable.


"Sorry, he was pretending to be a transwoman, there's literally nothing we can do to prevent or punish this"


“They have lived as a woman for years, had gender reassignment surgery and changed their birth certificate, but can we really be sure that they are not just faking this in order to be able to look at toilet cubicle doors while a poor defenceless lady is having a poo?”

User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Hbomberguy is livestreaming Donkey Kong 64 to spite the transphobe Graham Linehan
by Pedz » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:04 am

Ladies do not poo.

ImageImage
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Hbomberguy is livestreaming Donkey Kong 64 to spite the transphobe Graham Linehan
by Moggy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:20 am

Pedz wrote:Ladies do not poo.


Oh they do and it strawberry floating stinks.

User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Hbomberguy is livestreaming Donkey Kong 64 to spite the transphobe Graham Linehan
by Skarjo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:14 pm

Moggy wrote:
Skarjo wrote:
Moggy wrote:The idea that a male sex offender is going to go and buy a dress just so that they can walk into a public toilet and then smash down a cubicle door is laughable.


"Sorry, he was pretending to be a transwoman, there's literally nothing we can do to prevent or punish this"


“They have lived as a woman for years, had gender reassignment surgery and changed their birth certificate, but can we really be sure that they are not just faking this in order to be able to look at toilet cubicle doors while a poor defenceless lady is having a poo?”


It’s happened.

Political correctness...

...has finally...

....gone mad.

Blue Eyes wrote:No wonder I'm eating my balls instead of sweets.

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Hbomberguy is livestreaming Donkey Kong 64 to spite the transphobe Graham Linehan
by Photek » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:32 pm

So, Graham Linehan was on a Trans gender documentary on RTE 1 last night. It caused outrage that he was on it, I'm listening to it now, ill report back.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Garth, Godzilla, Lime, mysteriousdave, Oblomov Boblomov, Parksey, PuppetBoy, Tineash, Vermilion, Verti-Forma (tape edit) and 56 guests