Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by rinks » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:52 am

Cuttooth wrote:He starts a comparison video between the C9 and CX by calling his audience tossers for not listening to his previous disclaimers on not being able to compare picture quality through a YouTube video. I took a proper double take at that. :lol:

That’s the one I saw too. He’s ace.

User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Cuttooth » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:50 pm

Harry Bizzle wrote:As for all the QLED talk - my OLED is in a room with glass patio doors and I’ve never had any issues with my bright room performance.

OK cool that's basically my set up. It seems this year's QLED's are something of a downgrade anyway.

Have it down to either the CX or Panasonic HZ1000, which seems to overall be better for everything aside gaming. Since I'm not that likely to play anything at 4K above 60 fps and don't really expect that to widely catch on for a while, it'll probably do more than a good enough job anyway.

Still, £300 more and not widely in stock it seems.

User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by rinks » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:50 pm

Deed is done. Waiting begins.

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Peter Crisp » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:35 pm

Most likely a stupid question but is there a simple way to find out if my TV supports 120fps?

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Moggy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:56 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:Most likely a stupid question but is there a simple way to find out if my TV supports 120fps?


Count the frames. You have to be quick though.

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Peter Crisp » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:06 pm

Moggy wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:Most likely a stupid question but is there a simple way to find out if my TV supports 120fps?


Count the frames. You have to be quick though.


Ok, I'll try :slol: .

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by That's not a growth » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:16 am

You're making it more difficult than you need to, play 120fps content and count the missing frames. Less work.

User avatar
SerialCeler
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Booripides
Location: Stuck in the Tron machine

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by SerialCeler » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:20 pm

My LG CX was delivered yesterday.

Any tips on calibration? Not sure which of the online guidance to follow.

Nintendo Network ID: SerialCeler (Switch: 5559-9603-3982) | Xbox Live: Serial Celer
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Victor Mildew » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:23 pm

Turn off all the post processing gooseberry fool, make sure HDR is enabled on all HDMI sources (for some reason it wasn't on my qled).

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Tomous » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:53 pm

Victor Mildew wrote:Turn off all the post processing gooseberry fool, make sure HDR is enabled on all HDMI sources (for some reason it wasn't on my qled).



What will the post processing gooseberry fool be?

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Victor Mildew » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:58 pm

Motion smoothing is the biggest one.

Also if you have a UHD bluray player, get on playing planet earth 2.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Tomous » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:08 pm

Victor Mildew wrote:Motion smoothing is the biggest one.

Also if you have a UHD bluray player, get on playing planet earth 2.



Cheers, I will check that out

Image
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by rinks » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:29 pm

I’ve remembered one of the reasons I put off getting a new TV for so long: having to deal with seven years’ worth of shoved-down-the-back cables. It took me seven hours yesterday to dismantle everything, clean it all up and put it back together properly. Still, it’s now all colour-coded and zipped up in cable tidies, along with a new switchable mains adapter and an HDMI switch (both for the older consoles).

All ready to slot the new PS4 and TV in, when the TV is delivered on Saturday.

Except I’ve just decided to install the soundbar one shelf down, so it doesn’t interfere with the screen. So now I need a riser to lift the 360 and XB1 above the soundbar. Such fun.

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Peter Crisp » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:55 pm

rinks wrote:I’ve remembered one of the reasons I put off getting a new TV for so long: having to deal with seven years’ worth of shoved-down-the-back cables. It took me seven hours yesterday to dismantle everything, clean it all up and put it back together properly. Still, it’s now all colour-coded and zipped up in cable tidies, along with a new switchable mains adapter and an HDMI switch (both for the older consoles).

All ready to slot the new PS4 and TV in, when the TV is delivered on Saturday.

Except I’ve just decided to install the soundbar one shelf down, so it doesn’t interfere with the screen. So now I need a riser to lift the 360 and XB1 above the soundbar. Such fun.


The Samsungs have a breakout box so that you only need at most 3 cables for the TV and everything else can be attached to a separate box.
It's pretty handy.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by rinks » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:25 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:
rinks wrote:I’ve remembered one of the reasons I put off getting a new TV for so long: having to deal with seven years’ worth of shoved-down-the-back cables. It took me seven hours yesterday to dismantle everything, clean it all up and put it back together properly. Still, it’s now all colour-coded and zipped up in cable tidies, along with a new switchable mains adapter and an HDMI switch (both for the older consoles).

All ready to slot the new PS4 and TV in, when the TV is delivered on Saturday.

Except I’ve just decided to install the soundbar one shelf down, so it doesn’t interfere with the screen. So now I need a riser to lift the 360 and XB1 above the soundbar. Such fun.


The Samsungs have a breakout box so that you only need at most 3 cables for the TV and everything else can be attached to a separate box.
It's pretty handy.


That’s a really good idea. Wouldn’t have helped me, though. The main problem was the accumulation of power cables and mains adapters. Everything is tidy now, with spaces reserved for the PS4 (still boxed, apart from taking out the cables - amazed at my restraint) and the Series X.

User avatar
Harry Bizzle
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Harry Bizzle » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:50 am

Unless they’ve changed it, you need to enable HDR for each HDMI input individually. Make sure you do that or you’ll be wondering what the big deal is.

Any we’re gonna need pics and impressions.

instagram: @habiz
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by rinks » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:57 am

Harry Bizzle wrote:Unless they’ve changed it, you need to enable HDR for each HDMI input individually. Make sure you do that or you’ll be wondering what the big deal is.

Any we’re gonna need pics and impressions.


It’s supposed to have this auto-detect thing that knows when a console is connected and it switches to all the best settings. We’ll see. But thanks for the tip, I’ll watch out for that.

I’m going from a 42” 1080p LED to a 55” 4k HDR OLED, so if I’m left unimpressed, there’s something seriously amiss!

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Victor Mildew » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:42 pm

I went from a 40" tv to a 65" one in the same room. It was amazing when it turned up as the box was bigger than my sofa :lol:

The oneconnect box is great, it means I have almost invisible cables running from the tv so it looks very neat sat on the unit. The rats nest of stuff plugged in to the box is thankfully hidden away.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by rinks » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:43 pm

It’s arrived. I’m feeling kind of sick with dread right now, in case I wreck the thing unboxing it and getting it on the stand. Are dead pixels a thing with OLEDs? This pessimism is no fun.

User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by rinks » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:00 pm

Victor Mildew wrote:I went from a 40" tv to a 65" one in the same room. It was amazing when it turned up as the box was bigger than my sofa :lol:

I was looking at this thread’s OP yesterday, and the outdated list of forumites’ TVs. So cute that some were 19” sets.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Grumpy David, Snowcannon and 26 guests