Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Oblomov Boblomov » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:31 am

Victor Mistletoe wrote:
I Shot A Kid wrote:
Victor Mistletoe wrote:
Ding Dong Merrily on Hide wrote:
I Shot A Kid wrote:I'm noticing that everyone on Facebook/Twitter seems to have their TVs in the corner of the room.

Are they all totally mental or are we wrong?! :shock:


They're all mental.

Bet they all have L shaped sofas too.


Monsters :x

I saw some woman on tv the other day that was showing her house off, and her L shaped sofa was so strawberry floating massive that part of it went out the doorway and half way in to another room :lol: Do these people not measure anything?

I have an L-shaped sofa... :shifty:


Is it blocking an under stairs door, and do you have a feature wall?

I'm struggling to imagine how it could block a door that sits underneath a flight of stairs :lol:?!

The TV is attached to a wall that is painted a different colour to the wall opposite and adjacent to it... :shifty:

Image
User avatar
jawa2
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by jawa2 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:54 am

Following a tiresome nine-month disagreement with Thames Water, the outcome is that I will hopefully get some cash compensation and be able to buy a new TV. My current set is a twelve year old 26" 720p screen so this should be quite a step-up :-) .

I don't want a huge screen; my living room is very modest in size and I woud go up to 43". I'd like the set to be 4K, have some reasonable form of HDR, be able to run apps like Netflix and Disney+, a decent screen response rate and to have at least three HDMI sockets. I'm not fussed about 120 FPS capability or anything higher tech... which is just as well with my budget.

I'm looking at spending £500; a little more at a push.

I'm already annoyed at re-discovering how few HDMI sockets the manufacturers put on their sets. An HDMI adaptor seems to be essential.

I've looked around and I think a Samsung set would suit my requirements and budget. This one looks decent:

> Samsung 43 Inch UE43RU7100KXXU Smart 4K HDR LED Freeview TV - circa £399 - click to view the set at Argos

Or... this Samsung set costs quite a bit more; is the extra dough worth it?

> Samsung 43 Inch QE43Q60T Smart UHD HDR QLED Freeview TV - circa £599 - click to view the set at Argos

Oh, and I don't own a L-shaped sofa.

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Ironhide » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:57 pm

I Shot A Kid wrote:
Victor Mistletoe wrote:
I Shot A Kid wrote:
Victor Mistletoe wrote:
Ding Dong Merrily on Hide wrote:
I Shot A Kid wrote:I'm noticing that everyone on Facebook/Twitter seems to have their TVs in the corner of the room.

Are they all totally mental or are we wrong?! :shock:


They're all mental.

Bet they all have L shaped sofas too.


Monsters :x

I saw some woman on tv the other day that was showing her house off, and her L shaped sofa was so strawberry floating massive that part of it went out the doorway and half way in to another room :lol: Do these people not measure anything?

I have an L-shaped sofa... :shifty:


Is it blocking an under stairs door, and do you have a feature wall?

I'm struggling to imagine how it could block a door that sits underneath a flight of stairs :lol:?!

The TV is attached to a wall that is painted a different colour to the wall opposite and adjacent to it
... :shifty:


So is mine.

Image
User avatar
satriales
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by satriales » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:07 pm

jawa2 wrote:I don't want a huge screen; my living room is very modest in size and I woud go up to 43". I'd like the set to be 4K, have some reasonable form of HDR, be able to run apps like Netflix and Disney+, a decent screen response rate and to have at least three HDMI sockets. I'm not fussed about 120 FPS capability or anything higher tech... which is just as well with my budget.

I'm looking at spending £500; a little more at a push.

I've been looking around for a new TV the last couple of months and from what I can tell you basically need to go for at least 49" and usually 55" before the manufacturer bothers to put in a good enough panel for HDR.

Any TV can say it is HDR compatible even if it's not actually able to go bright enough for you to notice the difference.

I've ended up waiting to see what next year's models bring as every TV I find seems to have some kind of problem. The Samsung's have a habit of crushing blacks to hide blooming. The Sony's are the opposite - accurate colour but with bad blooming. HiSense do some TVs that offer decent HDR on a budget but they have poor motion.

Edit: Also, if you can buy from Richer sounds or John Lewis instead of Argos they price match and you will get a 6/5 year warranty.

User avatar
jawa2
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by jawa2 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:17 pm

satriales wrote:I've been looking around for a new TV the last couple of months and from what I can tell you basically need to go for at least 49" and usually 55" before the manufacturer bothers to put in a good enough panel for HDR...

Thanks, man. I do really want to keep to max 43 (and I'm a bit concerned that will still seem huge) 'cos of room size and stuff. I'm not mega-fussed about having to get the latest HDR (I think HDR 10 compatibility is okay?) but hopefully I can get something decent for around £500; it should be quite an improvement on my current TV.

User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Saint of Killers » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:41 am

LG Diznee+ app is the first thing I've used which fully utilises the CX's capabilities. (It uses both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.) Mando's helmet looks really slick, in a shiny matt finish sort of way. (If such a finish is possible.)

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Rex Kramer » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:57 am

jawa2 wrote:
satriales wrote:I've been looking around for a new TV the last couple of months and from what I can tell you basically need to go for at least 49" and usually 55" before the manufacturer bothers to put in a good enough panel for HDR...

Thanks, man. I do really want to keep to max 43 (and I'm a bit concerned that will still seem huge) 'cos of room size and stuff. I'm not mega-fussed about having to get the latest HDR (I think HDR 10 compatibility is okay?) but hopefully I can get something decent for around £500; it should be quite an improvement on my current TV.

If you haven't bought a new TV for a while then the virtually non existent bezels and how slim they are will surprise you when you get it set up. I went from a 43" LED from 2007/8 to a newer 49" LG as that was as big as I thought I could get away with and a few months down the line wished I'd gone for 55".

User avatar
jawa2
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by jawa2 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:05 pm

Rex Krampus wrote:If you haven't bought a new TV for a while then the virtually non existent bezels and how slim they are will surprise you when you get it set up. I went from a 43" LED from 2007/8 to a newer 49" LG as that was as big as I thought I could get away with and a few months down the line wished I'd gone for 55".

Rex, yeah, the sleeker designs really help reduce the cabinet size compared to older screens. At present I have a 26" screen - probably the same physical size as a newer 32" screen - so a move to even a 43" screen will probably feel like quite a jump!

User avatar
jawa2
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by jawa2 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:07 am

I'm hoping to be taking the plunge and getting the new TV after Christmas. "I'm excited!" :toot: .

User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Denster » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:38 am

Saint of Killers wrote:I'll be waiting on a fire sale before I get the 4K LotR:



£70 for a version that isn't as good as the blu-rays? No thanks.

That's nonsense. It's a big step up from the blu rays.

User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Saint of Killers » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:16 am

But they also contain errors which weren't presents in the DVDs or BRs. Add to that Jackson strawberry floating with the image to make them appear similar to The Hobbit series and... yeah, I'm in no rush to buy these again. Certainly not at £70.

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
jawa2
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by jawa2 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:33 pm

jawa2 wrote:I'm hoping to be taking the plunge and getting the new TV after Christmas...

itshappening.gif

I've ordered a new TV :-) . Please destroy my choice.

> It's only 43"
> I bought it from Argos
> Should have bought it cheaper elsewhere
> It's a sh!t brand
> It uses a crap operating system
> Doesn't do variable refresh rate
> I haven't bought a separate sound bar
> Fake HDR
> I will not be sitting on a massive L-shaped sofa whilst watching it :-(

But... it still looks pretty neat. Sony Android 43" with 4K display, HDR (Dolby Vision / HDR 10 / HLG), 4 (FOUR!) HDMI sockets and it should just about fit on my current TV table. Will be cool for connecting up my Wii U and PS4 Pro alongside watching a bit of Netflix or Disney Plus. I think it'll be quite a step up from my 2008 Sony 26" screen that I currently have and, best of all, I've bought it with my Thames Water refund money.

Should be delivered tomorrow evening. "I'm excited!" :toot: .

User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Cuttooth » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:31 pm

What are the universal things that are best to do when setting up an OLED display? I figure turning off the likes of Motion Smoothing for the main outputs (might keep it on for games?) but didn't know if there's anything else generally recommended.

User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by BID0 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:36 am

Tidings of Cuttooth and Joy wrote:What are the universal things that are best to do when setting up an OLED display? I figure turning off the likes of Motion Smoothing for the main outputs (might keep it on for games?) but didn't know if there's anything else generally recommended.

If you haven't got any calibration equipment then google "av forums" and "tv model number" and follow their calibration guide. Sometimes they'll have a youtube video to follow too.

User avatar
jawa2
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by jawa2 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:42 am

My soon-to-be-here TV doesn't have component input which is a shame as I used a component cable for connecting my Wii to my old TV. Has anyone here used one of those "Wii2HDMI" adaptors that you see on Amazon? If so, are they any good?

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Victor Mildew » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:18 pm

jawa2 wrote:My soon-to-be-here TV doesn't have component input which is a shame as I used a component cable for connecting my Wii to my old TV. Has anyone here used one of those "Wii2HDMI" adaptors that you see on Amazon? If so, are they any good?


I've not used on, it can you not just use your Wii U as a Wii now, thereby having an HDMI connection?

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
jawa2
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by jawa2 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:25 pm

Victor Mistletoe wrote:...can you not just use your Wii U as a Wii now, thereby having an HDMI connection?

I kind could do that, Ad - and I may end up doing so, to save on HDMI ports - but I have quite a few Virtual Console games on my Wii. I have not done the Wii-to-Wii U system transfer as I like keeping 'em separate. I guess I could just use the U for now but I'd like to have access to the VC games.

I may live life on the edge and order the Wii2HDMI adaptor. Such rebellion, much adventure!

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Victor Mildew » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:26 pm

Be prepared for how bad the Wii looks on a modern tv. Jaggies everywhere.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
jawa2
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by jawa2 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:30 pm

Victor Mistletoe wrote:Be prepared for how bad the Wii looks on a modern tv. Jaggies everywhere.

Oh, man, I was hoping that this wouldn't be the case. Don't new TVs kinda "up-res" the image? It'll be a shame if it looks a bit ropey.

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Victor Mildew » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:30 pm

My old Samsung 1080p set from about 13 years ago finally gave up the other day. Just started producing a really strange picture, like one of the colours is missing or something.

Image

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.

Return to “Stuff”