Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
SandyCoin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: London

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by SandyCoin » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:29 am

Might be the wrong thread, as I guess it's a PC issue, but ah well...

Basically I have my PC plugged into my new TV to stream from UK sites using VPN (VPN doesn't work great on the smart tv app). However, the image is very stuttery and I don't really know why. I don't think it's a connection issue as I also use the VPN on my iPad and the image quality looks great. I have the PC connected through HDMI, but wondering if it's some kind of resolution limit from my PC. Anyone got any ideas?

-----> My Illustration Blog | My Shop <------
User avatar
massimo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by massimo » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:36 am

SandyCoin wrote:Might be the wrong thread, as I guess it's a PC issue, but ah well...

Basically I have my PC plugged into my new TV to stream from UK sites using VPN (VPN doesn't work great on the smart tv app). However, the image is very stuttery and I don't really know why. I don't think it's a connection issue as I also use the VPN on my iPad and the image quality looks great. I have the PC connected through HDMI, but wondering if it's some kind of resolution limit from my PC. Anyone got any ideas?

When you say stuttery, do you mean stuttering as in the download speed isn’t sufficient for the stream, or more like a frame dropping consistently every second or so?

Does the TV have a browser function? If you go to fast.com it’ll do a speed test.

User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by rinks » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:59 am

SandyCoin wrote:Might be the wrong thread, as I guess it's a PC issue, but ah well...

Basically I have my PC plugged into my new TV to stream from UK sites using VPN (VPN doesn't work great on the smart tv app). However, the image is very stuttery and I don't really know why. I don't think it's a connection issue as I also use the VPN on my iPad and the image quality looks great. I have the PC connected through HDMI, but wondering if it's some kind of resolution limit from my PC. Anyone got any ideas?

Have you tried connecting a different monitor to see if the problem still occurs? How about trying some different resolutions/refresh rates? Is it a 4K TV? HDMI 2 cable?

User avatar
SandyCoin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: London

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by SandyCoin » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:28 am

massimo wrote:
SandyCoin wrote:Might be the wrong thread, as I guess it's a PC issue, but ah well...

Basically I have my PC plugged into my new TV to stream from UK sites using VPN (VPN doesn't work great on the smart tv app). However, the image is very stuttery and I don't really know why. I don't think it's a connection issue as I also use the VPN on my iPad and the image quality looks great. I have the PC connected through HDMI, but wondering if it's some kind of resolution limit from my PC. Anyone got any ideas?

When you say stuttery, do you mean stuttering as in the download speed isn’t sufficient for the stream, or more like a frame dropping consistently every second or so?

Does the TV have a browser function? If you go to fast.com it’ll do a speed test.


Hmm hard to describe, but it isn't remotely smooth to watch. I guess more a frame rate style stutter, rather than it breaking up like a connection. I'm not sure if it has a browser function actually but I assume there's an browser app (Android TV).

@rinks - yes it's a brand new 4k TV. Before we got the TV we were using my PC monitor (about 10 years old) and it's always worked fine with that. No stutter just obviously not spectacular image quality. Same HDMI cable used too I believe. Nothing else stutters e.g my switch, xbox one. Runs fine watching things from my external SSD too. I've tried a couple of different resolutions but didn't notice anything different. Do you know how I would change refresh rates? It's also not just streaming as I tried watching a file on my PC, and it was still weirdly slow and juddery.

-----> My Illustration Blog | My Shop <------
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by rinks » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:00 am

SandyCoin wrote:
massimo wrote:
SandyCoin wrote:Might be the wrong thread, as I guess it's a PC issue, but ah well...

Basically I have my PC plugged into my new TV to stream from UK sites using VPN (VPN doesn't work great on the smart tv app). However, the image is very stuttery and I don't really know why. I don't think it's a connection issue as I also use the VPN on my iPad and the image quality looks great. I have the PC connected through HDMI, but wondering if it's some kind of resolution limit from my PC. Anyone got any ideas?

When you say stuttery, do you mean stuttering as in the download speed isn’t sufficient for the stream, or more like a frame dropping consistently every second or so?

Does the TV have a browser function? If you go to fast.com it’ll do a speed test.


Hmm hard to describe, but it isn't remotely smooth to watch. I guess more a frame rate style stutter, rather than it breaking up like a connection. I'm not sure if it has a browser function actually but I assume there's an browser app (Android TV).

@rinks - yes it's a brand new 4k TV. Before we got the TV we were using my PC monitor (about 10 years old) and it's always worked fine with that. No stutter just obviously not spectacular image quality. Same HDMI cable used too I believe. Nothing else stutters e.g my switch, xbox one. Runs fine watching things from my external SSD too. I've tried a couple of different resolutions but didn't notice anything different. Do you know how I would change refresh rates? It's also not just streaming as I tried watching a file on my PC, and it was still weirdly slow and juddery.

It’ll be in advanced display settings, then display adapter properties, and List All Modes.

Also check your TV is set to PC mode for that input, if you have that option.

User avatar
SandyCoin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: London

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by SandyCoin » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:21 pm

rinks wrote:
SandyCoin wrote:
massimo wrote:
SandyCoin wrote:Might be the wrong thread, as I guess it's a PC issue, but ah well...

Basically I have my PC plugged into my new TV to stream from UK sites using VPN (VPN doesn't work great on the smart tv app). However, the image is very stuttery and I don't really know why. I don't think it's a connection issue as I also use the VPN on my iPad and the image quality looks great. I have the PC connected through HDMI, but wondering if it's some kind of resolution limit from my PC. Anyone got any ideas?

When you say stuttery, do you mean stuttering as in the download speed isn’t sufficient for the stream, or more like a frame dropping consistently every second or so?

Does the TV have a browser function? If you go to fast.com it’ll do a speed test.


Hmm hard to describe, but it isn't remotely smooth to watch. I guess more a frame rate style stutter, rather than it breaking up like a connection. I'm not sure if it has a browser function actually but I assume there's an browser app (Android TV).

@rinks - yes it's a brand new 4k TV. Before we got the TV we were using my PC monitor (about 10 years old) and it's always worked fine with that. No stutter just obviously not spectacular image quality. Same HDMI cable used too I believe. Nothing else stutters e.g my switch, xbox one. Runs fine watching things from my external SSD too. I've tried a couple of different resolutions but didn't notice anything different. Do you know how I would change refresh rates? It's also not just streaming as I tried watching a file on my PC, and it was still weirdly slow and juddery.

It’ll be in advanced display settings, then display adapter properties, and List All Modes.

Also check your TV is set to PC mode for that input, if you have that option.


Cool, thanks. I'll have a look when I finish work.

-----> My Illustration Blog | My Shop <------
User avatar
SandyCoin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: London

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by SandyCoin » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:17 pm

Changed the refresh rate and its improved a good amount. Not perfect but certainly better. Changed it to 1920x1080 at 60hz. Before the pc was set to something like 3000x something at 30hz.

There's probably a better setting but this will do for now.

-----> My Illustration Blog | My Shop <------
User avatar
LewisD
#grcadesangle
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Contact:

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by LewisD » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:42 pm

Apologies, I've posted this in the Xbox thread, but thought maybe the HDTV Thread minds could help here too:

LewisD wrote:Is there a list of TVs that meet the requirements to get all green ticks on the series X?

I feel like my old 1080 LED Sony Bravia isn't allowing the console to demonstrate its potential.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by KK » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:19 pm

That’ll be the LG BX (recently replaced with the B1 for 2021), CX (recently replaced with the C1 for 2021) and GX (recently replaced with the G1).

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Garth, Google [Bot], Skarjo and 153 guests