Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
massimo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by massimo » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:44 pm

rinks wrote:It’s arrived. I’m feeling kind of sick with dread right now, in case I wreck the thing unboxing it and getting it on the stand. Are dead pixels a thing with OLEDs? This pessimism is no fun.

It’s possible, but very rare I think.

Anyone wall mounting a CX around these parts?

I’m moving into a new build home in October so I’ve had the developer put in trunking into the cinder block walls for a wall mounted tv. Originally was going to bring across my LG 55” B7, but after popping into RicherSounds yesterday I think I’ve decided to get a CX. I was tempted to get a new OLED for HomeKit and AirPlay 2 support and seeing it goes flush against the wall has sealed the deal.
Only issue I have is there will be a double power socket which will be directly behind it, so I think that may need to be removed.

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Ironhide » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:43 pm

rinks wrote:It’s arrived. I’m feeling kind of sick with dread right now, in case I wreck the thing unboxing it and getting it on the stand. Are dead pixels a thing with OLEDs? This pessimism is no fun.


I had (and returned) two B7s with faulty screens in a row and opted for a non OLED Sony instead.

I desperately regret my decision as it's a strawberry floating horrible TV and am now considering getting rid of it and getting a C9 now LG have hopefully ironed out the durability issues with their OLED panels.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Moggy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:02 pm

Victor Mildew wrote:I went from a 40" tv to a 65" one in the same room. It was amazing when it turned up as the box was bigger than my sofa :lol:


"Sorry darling, the L shaped sofa will have to go so that we can fit this in"

Image

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Victor Mildew » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:25 pm

Still not big enough (context)

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Peter Crisp » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:14 pm

A TV that size would be pointless in most peoples house.
I suppose I could empty the garage and turn that into a home cinema but I'd rather have 2 smaller sets and save a small fortune.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Harry Bizzle
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Harry Bizzle » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:21 pm

massimo wrote:
rinks wrote:It’s arrived. I’m feeling kind of sick with dread right now, in case I wreck the thing unboxing it and getting it on the stand. Are dead pixels a thing with OLEDs? This pessimism is no fun.

It’s possible, but very rare I think.

Anyone wall mounting a CX around these parts?

I’m moving into a new build home in October so I’ve had the developer put in trunking into the cinder block walls for a wall mounted tv. Originally was going to bring across my LG 55” B7, but after popping into RicherSounds yesterday I think I’ve decided to get a CX. I was tempted to get a new OLED for HomeKit and AirPlay 2 support and seeing it goes flush against the wall has sealed the deal.
Only issue I have is there will be a double power socket which will be directly behind it, so I think that may need to be removed.



Looking at the CX, it looks quite similar to my B7 from behind - so why does it go more flush against the wall, out of interest?

I recently wall mounted my B7 and am very happy with it. We had the HDMI cables put through the wall behind into a storage cupboard and so we don’t need a TV unit or anything and no consoles on display, which is handy now that we know how ugly the PS5 is.

instagram: @habiz
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Ironhide » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:44 pm

Harry Bizzle wrote:
massimo wrote:
rinks wrote:It’s arrived. I’m feeling kind of sick with dread right now, in case I wreck the thing unboxing it and getting it on the stand. Are dead pixels a thing with OLEDs? This pessimism is no fun.

It’s possible, but very rare I think.

Anyone wall mounting a CX around these parts?

I’m moving into a new build home in October so I’ve had the developer put in trunking into the cinder block walls for a wall mounted tv. Originally was going to bring across my LG 55” B7, but after popping into RicherSounds yesterday I think I’ve decided to get a CX. I was tempted to get a new OLED for HomeKit and AirPlay 2 support and seeing it goes flush against the wall has sealed the deal.
Only issue I have is there will be a double power socket which will be directly behind it, so I think that may need to be removed.


Looking at the CX, it looks quite similar to my B7 from behind - so why does it go more flush against the wall, out of interest?

I recently wall mounted my B7 and am very happy with it. We had the HDMI cables put through the wall behind into a storage cupboard and so we don’t need a TV unit or anything and no consoles on display, which is handy now that we know how ugly the PS5 is.


I once had my PS3 and Xbox 360 in a cupboard unit under the TV and it got so hot you could almost roast a chicken in there, that didn't stop the cat from sleeping in there though.

Image
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by That's not a growth » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:57 pm

If anything that was probably the reason the cat went there, the crazy bastard.

User avatar
Harry Bizzle
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Harry Bizzle » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:06 pm

Ironhide wrote:
Harry Bizzle wrote:
massimo wrote:
rinks wrote:It’s arrived. I’m feeling kind of sick with dread right now, in case I wreck the thing unboxing it and getting it on the stand. Are dead pixels a thing with OLEDs? This pessimism is no fun.

It’s possible, but very rare I think.

Anyone wall mounting a CX around these parts?

I’m moving into a new build home in October so I’ve had the developer put in trunking into the cinder block walls for a wall mounted tv. Originally was going to bring across my LG 55” B7, but after popping into RicherSounds yesterday I think I’ve decided to get a CX. I was tempted to get a new OLED for HomeKit and AirPlay 2 support and seeing it goes flush against the wall has sealed the deal.
Only issue I have is there will be a double power socket which will be directly behind it, so I think that may need to be removed.


Looking at the CX, it looks quite similar to my B7 from behind - so why does it go more flush against the wall, out of interest?

I recently wall mounted my B7 and am very happy with it. We had the HDMI cables put through the wall behind into a storage cupboard and so we don’t need a TV unit or anything and no consoles on display, which is handy now that we know how ugly the PS5 is.


I once had my PS3 and Xbox 360 in a cupboard unit under the TV and it got so hot you could almost roast a chicken in there, that didn't stop the cat from sleeping in there though.


It’s like a closet, kind of thing, so plenty of room for the consoles to breathe:

Image


Bottom shelf is reserved for any AV nonsense so the heat can rise.

instagram: @habiz
User avatar
massimo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by massimo » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:06 pm

Harry Bizzle wrote:
massimo wrote:
rinks wrote:It’s arrived. I’m feeling kind of sick with dread right now, in case I wreck the thing unboxing it and getting it on the stand. Are dead pixels a thing with OLEDs? This pessimism is no fun.

It’s possible, but very rare I think.

Anyone wall mounting a CX around these parts?

I’m moving into a new build home in October so I’ve had the developer put in trunking into the cinder block walls for a wall mounted tv. Originally was going to bring across my LG 55” B7, but after popping into RicherSounds yesterday I think I’ve decided to get a CX. I was tempted to get a new OLED for HomeKit and AirPlay 2 support and seeing it goes flush against the wall has sealed the deal.
Only issue I have is there will be a double power socket which will be directly behind it, so I think that may need to be removed.



Looking at the CX, it looks quite similar to my B7 from behind - so why does it go more flush against the wall, out of interest?

The whole panel is just 19mm thick. There is a thinner section also which allows the included wall mount to recess into the cavity, which makes it completely flush with the wall.

User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by rinks » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:55 pm

First impression: fuuuucking hell.

I’ve only got it set up (plugged in) rather than set up (tweaked), so I have yet to really see what it can do, but it’s such a step up, it’s ridiculous. Huge thanks to H. Bizzle for urging me to go large. I can already tell that it’s not excessively sized for the distance I’m sitting, so I think it was the right decision. Although it very slightly overhangs the stand, it also sits further back than my old set, so it’s really not going to get snagged on anything.

Tomorrow, I will explore settings. I couldn’t even find HDR on my quick look.

User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by rinks » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:57 pm

massimo wrote:
Harry Bizzle wrote:
massimo wrote:
rinks wrote:It’s arrived. I’m feeling kind of sick with dread right now, in case I wreck the thing unboxing it and getting it on the stand. Are dead pixels a thing with OLEDs? This pessimism is no fun.

It’s possible, but very rare I think.

Anyone wall mounting a CX around these parts?

I’m moving into a new build home in October so I’ve had the developer put in trunking into the cinder block walls for a wall mounted tv. Originally was going to bring across my LG 55” B7, but after popping into RicherSounds yesterday I think I’ve decided to get a CX. I was tempted to get a new OLED for HomeKit and AirPlay 2 support and seeing it goes flush against the wall has sealed the deal.
Only issue I have is there will be a double power socket which will be directly behind it, so I think that may need to be removed.



Looking at the CX, it looks quite similar to my B7 from behind - so why does it go more flush against the wall, out of interest?

The whole panel is just 19mm thick. There is a thinner section also which allows the included wall mount to recess into the cavity, which makes it completely flush with the wall.

Not sure where you’ve got 19mm from. The lower section is definitely thicker than that. Even the GX is 23mm.

EDIT: The 65” GX is 19.9mm. Were you looking to spend £3,200?

User avatar
massimo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by massimo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:22 am

rinks wrote:
massimo wrote:
Harry Bizzle wrote:
massimo wrote:
rinks wrote:It’s arrived. I’m feeling kind of sick with dread right now, in case I wreck the thing unboxing it and getting it on the stand. Are dead pixels a thing with OLEDs? This pessimism is no fun.

It’s possible, but very rare I think.

Anyone wall mounting a CX around these parts?

I’m moving into a new build home in October so I’ve had the developer put in trunking into the cinder block walls for a wall mounted tv. Originally was going to bring across my LG 55” B7, but after popping into RicherSounds yesterday I think I’ve decided to get a CX. I was tempted to get a new OLED for HomeKit and AirPlay 2 support and seeing it goes flush against the wall has sealed the deal.
Only issue I have is there will be a double power socket which will be directly behind it, so I think that may need to be removed.



Looking at the CX, it looks quite similar to my B7 from behind - so why does it go more flush against the wall, out of interest?

The whole panel is just 19mm thick. There is a thinner section also which allows the included wall mount to recess into the cavity, which makes it completely flush with the wall.

Not sure where you’ve got 19mm from. The lower section is definitely thicker than that. Even the GX is 23mm.

EDIT: The 65” GX is 19.9mm. Were you looking to spend £3,200?


Sorry, got confused. Yes, was looking at the gallery GX series.

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Ironhide » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:27 pm

Harry Bizzle wrote:
Ironhide wrote:
Harry Bizzle wrote:
massimo wrote:
rinks wrote:It’s arrived. I’m feeling kind of sick with dread right now, in case I wreck the thing unboxing it and getting it on the stand. Are dead pixels a thing with OLEDs? This pessimism is no fun.

It’s possible, but very rare I think.

Anyone wall mounting a CX around these parts?

I’m moving into a new build home in October so I’ve had the developer put in trunking into the cinder block walls for a wall mounted tv. Originally was going to bring across my LG 55” B7, but after popping into RicherSounds yesterday I think I’ve decided to get a CX. I was tempted to get a new OLED for HomeKit and AirPlay 2 support and seeing it goes flush against the wall has sealed the deal.
Only issue I have is there will be a double power socket which will be directly behind it, so I think that may need to be removed.


Looking at the CX, it looks quite similar to my B7 from behind - so why does it go more flush against the wall, out of interest?

I recently wall mounted my B7 and am very happy with it. We had the HDMI cables put through the wall behind into a storage cupboard and so we don’t need a TV unit or anything and no consoles on display, which is handy now that we know how ugly the PS5 is.


I once had my PS3 and Xbox 360 in a cupboard unit under the TV and it got so hot you could almost roast a chicken in there, that didn't stop the cat from sleeping in there though.


It’s like a closet, kind of thing, so plenty of room for the consoles to breathe:

Image


Bottom shelf is reserved for any AV nonsense so the heat can rise.


That is quite an odd setup, doesn't it get annoying having to go into a different room to switch everything on?

Also, does it affect the wirless signal between the console and controllers?

Image
User avatar
Harry Bizzle
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Harry Bizzle » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:03 pm

rinks wrote:First impression: fuuuucking hell.

I’ve only got it set up (plugged in) rather than set up (tweaked), so I have yet to really see what it can do, but it’s such a step up, it’s ridiculous. Huge thanks to H. Bizzle for urging me to go large. I can already tell that it’s not excessively sized for the distance I’m sitting, so I think it was the right decision. Although it very slightly overhangs the stand, it also sits further back than my old set, so it’s really not going to get snagged on anything.

Tomorrow, I will explore settings. I couldn’t even find HDR on my quick look.


Nice one. If you’ve got them, Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War are incredible HDR showcases. I also really like this:



Ironhide wrote:That is quite an odd setup, doesn't it get annoying having to go into a different room to switch everything on?

Also, does it affect the wirless signal between the console and controllers?


Not really - the point of it is so in the room with the TV, there’s no visible wires or consoles. Just a wall mounted TV. I switch the Xbox on and off with the controller, so I don’t have to go to the cupboard unless I need to change a disc or something, which is a pretty rare occurrence.

And it’s just a stud wall, so basically two bits of plasterboard between the console and the controller - no issues for PS4 and Xbox, which use RF signals for their controllers. Probably an issue for the Switch joycon, which struggle with a bit of loo roll between them and the console.

instagram: @habiz
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by rinks » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:59 pm

Harry Bizzle wrote:
rinks wrote:First impression: fuuuucking hell.

I’ve only got it set up (plugged in) rather than set up (tweaked), so I have yet to really see what it can do, but it’s such a step up, it’s ridiculous. Huge thanks to H. Bizzle for urging me to go large. I can already tell that it’s not excessively sized for the distance I’m sitting, so I think it was the right decision. Although it very slightly overhangs the stand, it also sits further back than my old set, so it’s really not going to get snagged on anything.

Tomorrow, I will explore settings. I couldn’t even find HDR on my quick look.


Nice one. If you’ve got them, Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War are incredible HDR showcases. I also really like this:


Yep, I’ve got both of those on my to-buy list. But I’m determined not to build up a backlog on my new PS4, so I’m starting out with Spider-Man.

User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Denster » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:52 am

Congrats on the purchase. Welcome to the OLED club.

:wub:

Get the kite, Beavis.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Tomous » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:48 am

rinks wrote:But I’m determined not to build up a backlog on my new PS4, so I’m starting out with Spider-Man.



It's really difficult not to do this. The number of amazing games you can get for £15 or less is ridiculous.

Image
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by rinks » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:16 am

Tomous wrote:
rinks wrote:But I’m determined not to build up a backlog on my new PS4, so I’m starting out with Spider-Man.



It's really difficult not to do this. The number of amazing games you can get for £15 or less is ridiculous.

Yeah, the summer sale put an end to that ambition. Some of the prices were too good to miss, so I’ve now also got Horizon ZD, Days Gone, Tetris Effect, Uncharted 4 and the Nathan Drake Collection.

But I’m playing Assassin’s Creed 3.

User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by rinks » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:17 am

Denster wrote:Congrats on the purchase. Welcome to the OLED club.

:wub:

Cheers. I finally see what all the fuss is about!


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Andrew Mills, Blue Eyes, Christopher, Dowbocop, floydfreak, Godzilla, Google [Bot], Heskimo, Lex-Man, Mafro, Peter Crisp, Qikz, Tineash and 303 guests