Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by ITSMILNER » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:47 pm

I see Eurogamer mention this TV as being one of the very best for the next generation of gaming

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-OLED55CX5LB-Ultra-OLED-Smart/dp/B086DPY2CD?tag=eurgam-df-uk-21

I am currently rocking this model of LG

https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-43UJ635V

Aside from the screen size, what are the big differences between the 2 when it comes to gaming? Would I be missing out on any big features from PS5/XsX games by sticking with my current model?

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
jiggles
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: pyxl-8

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by jiggles » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:05 pm

Well, aside from it being OLED (and thus having infinite contrast ratio and unbeatable HDR), the new TVs support HDMI2.1 which means up to 120fps at 4K, and, crucially for the new consoles, variable refresh rate. Games will run much smoother (as the display will be, say, 49Hz if the game dips to 49fps) and you’ll never see screen tearing ever again. If you’ve ever seen a Gsync display it’s the same thing, and an absolute game changer.

Streaming: Twitch | Tweeting: Twitter
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by ITSMILNER » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:17 pm

jiggles wrote:Well, aside from it being OLED (and thus having infinite contrast ratio and unbeatable HDR), the new TVs support HDMI2.1 which means up to 120fps at 4K, and, crucially for the new consoles, variable refresh rate. Games will run much smoother (as the display will be, say, 49Hz if the game dips to 49fps) and you’ll never see screen tearing ever again. If you’ve ever seen a Gsync display it’s the same thing, and an absolute game changer.


So it’s a worth while upgrade especially if I plan on buying a PS5 and XsX in the future?

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
jiggles
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: pyxl-8

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by jiggles » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:35 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:
jiggles wrote:Well, aside from it being OLED (and thus having infinite contrast ratio and unbeatable HDR), the new TVs support HDMI2.1 which means up to 120fps at 4K, and, crucially for the new consoles, variable refresh rate. Games will run much smoother (as the display will be, say, 49Hz if the game dips to 49fps) and you’ll never see screen tearing ever again. If you’ve ever seen a Gsync display it’s the same thing, and an absolute game changer.


So it’s a worth while upgrade especially if I plan on buying a PS5 and XsX in the future?


If it’s within your means, absolutely. For my money, VRR is the one thing above all else that is going to make these machines feel like a generational leap.

Streaming: Twitch | Tweeting: Twitter
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Ironhide » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:43 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:I see Eurogamer mention this TV as being one of the very best for the next generation of gaming

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-OLED55CX5LB-Ultra-OLED-Smart/dp/B086DPY2CD?tag=eurgam-df-uk-21


That's the current frontrunner for my next TV, its £1200 at Richer Sounds and I've very nearly hit the buy button several times now.

Image
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by ITSMILNER » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:49 pm

It’s a great looking TV that sounds prefect for the next gen machines, I’ll wait it out until Black Friday and see if it drops below £1000 and then I might snap it up!

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Ironhide » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:57 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:It’s a great looking TV that sounds prefect for the next gen machines, I’ll wait it out until Black Friday and see if it drops below £1000 and then I might snap it up!


I doubt it'll go below £1000 but yes, I'll be holding off until Black Friday.

Can't see it on Amazon but both Richer Sounds and Peter Tyson (decent company, bought from them before) are including some LG wireless earbuds with it atm (offer last until the end of December).

Image
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by ITSMILNER » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:42 pm

Ironhide wrote:
ITSMILNER wrote:It’s a great looking TV that sounds prefect for the next gen machines, I’ll wait it out until Black Friday and see if it drops below £1000 and then I might snap it up!


I doubt it'll go below £1000 but yes, I'll be holding off until Black Friday.

Can't see it on Amazon but both Richer Sounds and Peter Tyson (decent company, bought from them before) are including some LG wireless earbuds with it atm (offer last until the end of December).


Ahh I noticed John Lewis are also offering the buds as well, I was actually after a set of wireless ones, makes it more tempting. Any idea of the quality of them?

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
PatSharpsMullet
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: PatSharpsMullet
Location: Hove

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by PatSharpsMullet » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:47 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:
Ironhide wrote:
ITSMILNER wrote:It’s a great looking TV that sounds prefect for the next gen machines, I’ll wait it out until Black Friday and see if it drops below £1000 and then I might snap it up!


I doubt it'll go below £1000 but yes, I'll be holding off until Black Friday.

Can't see it on Amazon but both Richer Sounds and Peter Tyson (decent company, bought from them before) are including some LG wireless earbuds with it atm (offer last until the end of December).


Ahh I noticed John Lewis are also offering the buds as well, I was actually after a set of wireless ones, makes it more tempting. Any idea of the quality of them?

Seems like it is an offer set by LG as everywhere had the same offer. Same goes for the price of the TV itself.

Image
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by ITSMILNER » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:09 pm

PatSharpsMullet wrote:
ITSMILNER wrote:
Ironhide wrote:
ITSMILNER wrote:It’s a great looking TV that sounds prefect for the next gen machines, I’ll wait it out until Black Friday and see if it drops below £1000 and then I might snap it up!


I doubt it'll go below £1000 but yes, I'll be holding off until Black Friday.

Can't see it on Amazon but both Richer Sounds and Peter Tyson (decent company, bought from them before) are including some LG wireless earbuds with it atm (offer last until the end of December).


Ahh I noticed John Lewis are also offering the buds as well, I was actually after a set of wireless ones, makes it more tempting. Any idea of the quality of them?

Seems like it is an offer set by LG as everywhere had the same offer. Same goes for the price of the TV itself.


Not a bad offer I guess, if it’s on till December and the TV drops another couple hundred quid that might be my biting point. Under a grand does seem unrealistic, last years version still seems to be around the £1200 mark

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Zilnad
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Zilnad » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:39 am

Just got my new 55" 4K Sony Bravia set up and I love it :wub:

All ready for the PS5 now. Obviously I won't be viewing any 4K content until then but, if anything, it's gotten my even more excited for the PS5 than I already was.

Are there any recommended guides to setting up the optimal picture quality ie brightness/contrast/etc?

The TV also seems to be leaning ever so slightly forward, only really perceptible from the side, but I made sure the feet were attached properly and securely so not sure if that's a problem or if it's supposed to be like that.

Just want to play with it now but I've got work to do.

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Ironhide » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:27 pm

Zilnad wrote:Just got my new 55" 4K Sony Bravia set up and I love it :wub:

All ready for the PS5 now. Obviously I won't be viewing any 4K content until then but, if anything, it's gotten my even more excited for the PS5 than I already was.

Are there any recommended guides to setting up the optimal picture quality ie brightness/contrast/etc?

The TV also seems to be leaning ever so slightly forward, only really perceptible from the side, but I made sure the feet were attached properly and securely so not sure if that's a problem or if it's supposed to be like that.

Just want to play with it now but I've got work to do.


I'd advise turning off things like motion enhancement (can't remember what Sony call it), dynamic brightness and disable Youview as its horribly slow (the built in Freeview tuner is far better despite the awful EPG).

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Victor Mildew » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:35 pm

I ordered some wireless rear speakers to go with my sound bar (apropos achieving surround sound). It's a high end surround bar anyway, but a few things recently have made me realise it really does need those two to complete the sound. Held off on stands until they arrive, as I want to suss if I can wall mount them up in the corners or not.

Starting to wish I'd just stumped up the extra £500 in the first place for the version which included the atmos rear speakers, because even if I could get those separately they apparently don't work with my model, even though that's identical to the more expensive one.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Zilnad
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Zilnad » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:00 pm

Loving HDR and want to replay all my games to see them in a new light on the big screen :shock:

Can't wait to see actual 4K content when the PS5 releases next month. So exciting!

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Victor Mildew » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:04 pm

Zilnad wrote:Loving HDR and want to replay all my games to see them in a new light on the big screen :shock:

Can't wait to see actual 4K content when the PS5 releases next month. So exciting!


If you have the witness, it's probably the most beautiful HDR game I've played.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Zilnad
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Zilnad » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:54 pm

Victor Mildew wrote:
Zilnad wrote:Loving HDR and want to replay all my games to see them in a new light on the big screen :shock:

Can't wait to see actual 4K content when the PS5 releases next month. So exciting!


If you have the witness, it's probably the most beautiful HDR game I've played.


I do :o

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Peter Crisp » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:55 pm

Phil Spencer thinks 8K may never be a thing for gaming.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/new ... deo-games/

I hope he's right as I'd much rather they concentrate on better 4K content for the next decade or so.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by BID0 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:31 pm

Zilnad wrote:Are there any recommended guides to setting up the optimal picture quality ie brightness/contrast/etc?

If you search “AVFORUMS {TVMODELNUMBER}” on YouTube then you should find a 5-10 minute video for your screen going through any options that need calibrating for each AV channel.

User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Rocsteady » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:39 pm

My tcl has lost connection to the wifi and I've tried everything to get it back. Doesn't find the ip address and I cant find a way to input it manually - I've tried turning everything off etc, and I can't even reset the TV as I'm sure I didnt set a password so I've no idea what that would be. Extremely frustrating, it's a big beautiful brick at this point

Image
User avatar
PatSharpsMullet
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: PatSharpsMullet
Location: Hove

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by PatSharpsMullet » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:51 pm

Rocsteady wrote:My tcl has lost connection to the wifi and I've tried everything to get it back. Doesn't find the ip address and I cant find a way to input it manually - I've tried turning everything off etc, and I can't even reset the TV as I'm sure I didnt set a password so I've no idea what that would be. Extremely frustrating, it's a big beautiful brick at this point

TCL wrote:The default password is 1234. The user can change it. The super password is 0423 or 0812 (depending on the platform). If you forget your code, enter the super password to cancel all the current codes.

Image

Return to “Stuff”