Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Ironhide » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:14 pm

I've narrowed it down to two likely TVs, either the LG OLED55BX6LB for £1199 (can't really justify spending more on the CX) or the Samsung QE55Q90TATXXU for £1119.

Don't think there's enough difference in price to not get the LG one if I'm being totally honest.

There is a third potentially regrettable cheapskate option of this

Philips Ambilight 55OLED754/12

Its not really price that's the deciding factor, its the fact that I probably won't be gaming on it (or using the Smart features - I use my Fire TV cube as it doesn't require me to use my hands) so as long as films look good on it I'll be happy.

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Saint of Killers » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:31 pm



Samsung has issued a firmware update (version 1402) for its 2020 QLED TVs including the Q90T and Q95T, which has improved [HDR Game Mode] in two ways, just in time before the launch of the Sony PS5 & Xbox Series X next-gen consoles:

1) Fixing of auto-dimming bug after 6 minutes in [HDR Game Mode]
2) Addition of HGIG setting for HGIG-compliant games.

They're over there, by their theremin.
User avatar
Drej
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Drej » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:27 am

Havent posted here in ages, but its TV upgrade time and it seems like there is quite a fanbase for OLEDs here which is what im looking at.

Sepcifically this model: OLED65CX3LA

https://intercomp.com.mt/product/lg-65- ... ed65cx3la/

I currently have a 55 Inch 1080p Sony TV, so with the upcoming consoles on the horizon I want to be blown away.

My main concern is the burn in on the OLED Sets, seeing as this Tv will be used mainly for gaming and watching footy/sport all of which will have logos or maps and such constantly on the screen.

I had the same cocern with my old panasonic plasma, and to be honest I never witnessed any burn in issues and that TV was used with skysports and 3 consoles and a lot of Fifa and Pes, I would usually just set it on a scrambled channel after long periods of use. I think people who are experiencing burn ins on their new OLED sets would be people who leave their tvs on some 24/7 news channels with their news tickers like CNN for a whole day. At 2,600 euro I am investing alot in this TV so Im looking for some honest opinions from people who have been using OLEDs for a while

Alternatively I was also looking at the Samsung QE65Q70TAT as a cheaper QLED alternative but Im not too sure about that as I saw some average reviews

TL:DR Any opinions on Permanent Burn in on OLEDs?

Image
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by ITSMILNER » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:48 am

Drej wrote:Havent posted here in ages, but its TV upgrade time and it seems like there is quite a fanbase for OLEDs here which is what im looking at.

Sepcifically this model: OLED65CX3LA

https://intercomp.com.mt/product/lg-65- ... ed65cx3la/

I currently have a 55 Inch 1080p Sony TV, so with the upcoming consoles on the horizon I want to be blown away.

My main concern is the burn in on the OLED Sets, seeing as this Tv will be used mainly for gaming and watching footy/sport all of which will have logos or maps and such constantly on the screen.

I had the same cocern with my old panasonic plasma, and to be honest I never witnessed any burn in issues and that TV was used with skysports and 3 consoles and a lot of Fifa and Pes, I would usually just set it on a scrambled channel after long periods of use. I think people who are experiencing burn ins on their new OLED sets would be people who leave their tvs on some 24/7 news channels with their news tickers like CNN for a whole day. At 2,600 euro I am investing alot in this TV so Im looking for some honest opinions from people who have been using OLEDs for a while

Alternatively I was also looking at the Samsung QE65Q70TAT as a cheaper QLED alternative but Im not too sure about that as I saw some average reviews

TL:DR Any opinions on Permanent Burn in on OLEDs?


I am looking at getting the 55 CX this month, from what I gather it has features that are place to prevent burn in (one being the picture slightly shifts to prevent issues such as when UI or logos etc...are prominently on screen for an extended period.

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by KK » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:22 pm

Some retailers such as John Lewis now provide additional burn-in cover as part of their insurance plans (JL is called 5 Years Protect Plus). Alternatively it's worth asking your home insurance provider if it's covered.

I experienced screen burn-in on a Samsung LCD back in 2009 or somewhere around there after leaving the PSN menus on screen for around 20 minutes, so it can happen on both.

Image
User avatar
Drej
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Drej » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:13 pm

KK wrote:Some retailers such as John Lewis now provide additional burn-in cover as part of their insurance plans (JL is called 5 Years Protect Plus). Alternatively it's worth asking your home insurance provider if it's covered.

I experienced screen burn-in on a Samsung LCD back in 2009 or somewhere around there after leaving the PSN menus on screen for around 20 minutes, so it can happen on both.


Im afraid in Malta this kind of consumer protection does not really exist :shifty:

Was also considering buying from Amazon, but shipping would be so expensive, and I would gooseberry fool myself until it actually arrives intact.

Image
User avatar
Drej
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Drej » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:14 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:
Drej wrote:Havent posted here in ages, but its TV upgrade time and it seems like there is quite a fanbase for OLEDs here which is what im looking at.

Sepcifically this model: OLED65CX3LA

https://intercomp.com.mt/product/lg-65- ... ed65cx3la/

I currently have a 55 Inch 1080p Sony TV, so with the upcoming consoles on the horizon I want to be blown away.

My main concern is the burn in on the OLED Sets, seeing as this Tv will be used mainly for gaming and watching footy/sport all of which will have logos or maps and such constantly on the screen.

I had the same cocern with my old panasonic plasma, and to be honest I never witnessed any burn in issues and that TV was used with skysports and 3 consoles and a lot of Fifa and Pes, I would usually just set it on a scrambled channel after long periods of use. I think people who are experiencing burn ins on their new OLED sets would be people who leave their tvs on some 24/7 news channels with their news tickers like CNN for a whole day. At 2,600 euro I am investing alot in this TV so Im looking for some honest opinions from people who have been using OLEDs for a while

Alternatively I was also looking at the Samsung QE65Q70TAT as a cheaper QLED alternative but Im not too sure about that as I saw some average reviews

TL:DR Any opinions on Permanent Burn in on OLEDs?


I am looking at getting the 55 CX this month, from what I gather it has features that are place to prevent burn in (one being the picture slightly shifts to prevent issues such as when UI or logos etc...are prominently on screen for an extended period.



Yep, its what I read too, also the actual tech they say has improved, but no one is willing to actually rule out the possibility of Burn In

Image
User avatar
massimo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by massimo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:18 pm

I’ve had my LG OLED for three years now. Never had any issues with burn in, and barely even notice image retention.

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Victor Mildew » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:19 pm

QLED and no burn in

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by KK » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:04 pm

The only manufacturer that I'm aware of that has a burn-in guarantee as part of their marketing and warranty is Samsung:

Image

The odds of it happening are slim, but that's not much use if you're one of the unfortunate ones.

My TV viewing habits weren't conducive to buying an OLED back in 2016 but watching a movie on one is a much better experience compared to an LED, particularly at night. Gaming wise though OLED looks rather muted to me in HDR mode. Personal preference and all that.

Image
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Ironhide » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:51 pm

Just bought the LG OLED55BX6LB from John Lewis, £1199 including free LG wireless earphones and £100 JL gift voucher.

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Peter Crisp » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:13 pm

If you have a HDR set and an xbox give the HDR calibration tools a try (there's 2) as they really do make a huge difference and make HDR super awesome.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Drej
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Drej » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:31 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:If you have a HDR set and an xbox give the HDR calibration tools a try (there's 2) as they really do make a huge difference and make HDR super awesome.


My current set does not do hdr unfortunately, or so it tells me when i try to switch it on on the ps4

Image
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by ITSMILNER » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:40 am

Ordered the LG CX 55” :toot: got £105 back in credit from John Lewis (that’ll go towards an Xbox Series X) plus the free wireless headphones.

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Denster » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:40 pm

Almost 3 years and no issues with burn in.

The gap is closer but theres still no debate to be had.
OLED > QLED.
If you can afford it buy it. You will not regret it.
Mine still takes my breath away.

Good old HMRC.

Get the kite, Beavis.
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by ITSMILNER » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:15 pm

My LG CX should be here Friday, looking online on guides to setting it up but I have some questions.

1.) The first 2 HDMI ports will be used for the PS5 and the Series X. Are the only settings I need to change on these HDMI connections GAME mode as the picture setting, auto latency on and Deep colour on? Will everything else either deactivate or be re set to go whilst in Game mode?

2.) When I go to watch a movie via one of the consoles, will the screen know the difference between Game and movie playback and adjust accordingly or will I need to manual change the picture mode to something else?

Any tips on the process of setting it up would be great

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Finish.Last
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Finish.Last » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:40 pm

I’ve got one of these (LG CX) coming next weekend too - good saving at John Lewis and a free £100 gift card and LG wireless earphones too. Really looking forward to it - I’ve usually gone for Samsung’s TVs over the years, so this should be an interesting departure- it was the Eurogamer review which tipped it for me.

I called off his players' names as they came marching up the steps behind him....All nice guys. They'll finish last. Nice guys. Finish last.
User avatar
Drej
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Drej » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:46 am

I think I will go for a QLED in the end. Im quite convinced that the LG CX will look much better but I cannot justify spending that much and being paranoid about it getting burn in.

Considering Ill be stepping up from a PS4 running on 1080p without hdr, to a PS5 running on 4k with hdr I think I should still get blown away. Now its just a matter of deciding between the Samsung Q90T and the SonyXH90. The latter is tempting as with 2000 Euro I could get the 75" version.

Image
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by ITSMILNER » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:02 pm

My free LG headphones came today, they are damn good, very glad i never spent out on AirPods now

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread
by Ironhide » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:15 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:My free LG headphones came today, they are damn good, very glad i never spent out on AirPods now


Mine arrived too, not tried them yet but I doubt they'll be as good as my Sennheiser ones, I'll probably use them as a secondary pair for when I forget to charge them (or they don't charge, which occasionally happens).

Image

Return to “Stuff”