Hong Kong Protests

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Hong Kong Protests
by Knoyleo » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:31 am

As media coverage here is waning in favour of our own erosion of democracy, police in Hong Kong are stepping up the violence.





Hong Kong police storm metro system after protests

Other fun police tactics include using coloured dye in water cannon that's fired at the crowd, so they can identify and arrest protesters later on, away from the main crowds, when there will be less resistance and less footage.

pjbetman
Member
Joined in 2017

PostRe: Hong Kong Protests
by pjbetman » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:36 am

Do you think a lot of this is staged? How come the protesters arent getting tooled up? How come all the ones walking away after being arrested dont have any signs of injury. It just looks like 3 bizzies piling on one person and pinning them down. Just seems strange that their isnt any retaliation or serious injury/blood despite getting twatted with a truncheon for 10 minutes by 3 pigs.

User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Hong Kong Protests
by Skarjo » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:21 pm

The strawberry float are you on about?

Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Hong Kong Protests
by Lagamorph » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:14 pm

pjbetman wrote:Do you think a lot of this is staged? How come the protesters arent getting tooled up? How come all the ones walking away after being arrested dont have any signs of injury. It just looks like 3 bizzies piling on one person and pinning them down. Just seems strange that their isnt any retaliation or serious injury/blood despite getting twatted with a truncheon for 10 minutes by 3 pigs.

The protestors aren't looking for violence and are making legitimate attempts at peaceful protest and avoiding sinking to the level of tactics being employed by their opponents?

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Hong Kong Protests
by Knoyleo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:06 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-50370715

A policeman has shot a protester point blank in the gut.

The footage, even edited, is horrible. The protester is no immediate threat to the officer, and the way he's just grabbed the other protester involved looks more like he's trying to take a hostage than carry out an arrest.

Unprovoked, and reckless use of a fire arm. I just hope the shot man pulls through.

pjbetman
Member
Joined in 2017

PostRe: Hong Kong Protests
by pjbetman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:28 pm

Skarjo wrote:The strawberry float are you on about?



Just using my eyes.

User avatar
Kezzer
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Hong Kong Protests
by Kezzer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:07 pm

use your head as well.

Image
Image
Image

Check out the Digital Combat Simulator thread for some hardcore aerial combat! | Mumble | PCGT V | The Photography Thread
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Hong Kong Protests
by Tafdolphin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:27 pm

pjbetman wrote:
Skarjo wrote:The strawberry float are you on about?



Just using my eyes.


https://www.specsavers.co.uk/

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Hong Kong Protests
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:07 pm

Just seen on YouTube a poor man get set on fire during an argument with protesters. This is all really getting out of hand.

User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Hong Kong Protests
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:51 pm

Knoyleo wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-50370715

A policeman has shot a protester point blank in the gut.

The footage, even edited, is horrible. The protester is no immediate threat to the officer, and the way he's just grabbed the other protester involved looks more like he's trying to take a hostage than carry out an arrest.

Unprovoked, and reckless use of a fire arm. I just hope the shot man pulls through.

I watched the footage and noticed the guy who got shot had attempted to grab the police officer's gun before he was shot...
But I agree the policeman out of no where just grabbed one of the protesters.

User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Hong Kong Protests
by Rightey » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:47 pm

Hong Kong campus protesters fire arrows as unrest spreads across Kowloon

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/hon ... ss-kowloon

Remember guys, gun ownership bad.

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Karl_
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Hong Kong Protests
by Karl_ » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:18 pm

i have literally no idea whether you are making a pro or anti gun comment based on that article, what the link is, or what the reasoning behind either would be

are you saying it's good they don't have guns to stop the violence escalating? or bad because they can't fight as effectively? or something else?

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Hong Kong Protests
by Tomous » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:28 pm

Rightey wrote:Hong Kong campus protesters fire arrows as unrest spreads across Kowloon

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/hon ... ss-kowloon

Remember guys, gun ownership bad.



Indeed, thank god they didn't have guns and the situation was escalated.

Last edited by Tomous on Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Hong Kong Protests
by Oblomov Boblomov » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:48 pm

Karl_ wrote:i have literally no idea whether you are making a pro or anti gun comment based on that article, what the link is, or what the reasoning behind either would be

are you saying it's good they don't have guns to stop the violence escalating? or bad because they can't fight as effectively? or something else?

Yeah this :lol: I ran it through my sarcasm filter and it came out undecided. Then I remembered it was Rightey and I settled on a strong likelihood of 'Moronic Statement'.

Would you like to clarify your position, Rightey, and put us out of our misery?

Image
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Hong Kong Protests
by Knoyleo » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:18 pm

Thank goodness Rightey's brainworms don't have guns, or we'd all be in trouble.

I think the Chinese government might have found their public image win, over this weekend. PLA soldiers being applauded by "concerned locals" as they appeared to help clear blockades and debris from the streets, notably in civvies and basketball kit, rather than in uniform.

It looks like some of the more hardline protesters are starting to alienate more conservative Hong Kong people, especially by blockading roads used by ambulances, etc, and it's giving Beijing their in. I will not condemn the protesters for defending themselves and preparing themselves against the police and their tactics, but it's going to be difficult to continue to operate if wider opinion starts to turn against them. We just have to hope that those who were out breaking down blockades still don't want Beijing intervening either.

User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Hong Kong Protests
by Rightey » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:54 pm

Tomous wrote:
Rightey wrote:Hong Kong campus protesters fire arrows as unrest spreads across Kowloon

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/hon ... ss-kowloon

Remember guys, gun ownership bad.



Indeed, thank god they didn't have guns and the situation was escalated.


Yeah imagine how bad would be if people got shot... oh wait...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hong-kong ... -1.5303783

Ah but that is just an isolated incident right?

Yeah, now the protestors can just sit around and mysteriously commit suicide after they get a visit from the secret police afterwards... Or maybe they can just have all their organs mysteriously disappear like what happens to all those Falun Gong members when they get sent to jail... Or maybe just get sent to jail for life like all those Uyghur people. Yes you are clearly right, it is a good thing that there isn't any kind of escalation. :roll:

The protestors are basically strawberry floated as it is, the communists know that as more and more time passes and fewer people remember what it was like before they rolled in, there will be less resistance to whatever bullshit laws they want to pass. That's why even though the government pulled the bill that started the initial protests, the protestors aren't stopping, they know that this is probably going to be their last best chance

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Hong Kong Protests
by Tomous » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:59 pm

“If only all the HK protestors had guns” is one of the worst takes I’ve seen on the situation :lol:

Yes, all out war between the protestors and the police would be much better. It would be a bloodbath.

Image
User avatar
Karl_
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Hong Kong Protests
by Karl_ » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:15 pm

Marx thought that an armed proletariat would be a part of most (not necessarily all) successful political changes, but that was in the 1800s and I just don't think ordinary people can successfully wage armed revolution any more -- not in a rich country with a tightly-controlled, modernised military like China, or indeed America or the UK. These countries would sooner get out the machine guns and mow down their own citizens in the street than allow a revolution to succeed.

So yeah, I think that would only make things worse in Hong Kong but I don't know what the answer is. I just don't know what alternate form of revolution the material conditions in the modern era lend themselves to. General strikes might still be an option.

User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Hong Kong Protests
by Lex-Man » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:21 pm

Karl_ wrote:Marx thought that an armed proletariat would be a part of most (not necessarily all) successful political changes, but that was in the 1800s and I just don't think ordinary people can successfully wage armed revolution any more -- not in a rich country with a tightly-controlled, modernised military like China, or indeed America or the UK. These countries would sooner get out the machine guns and mow down their own citizens in the street than allow a revolution to succeed.

So yeah, I think that would only make things worse in Hong Kong but I don't know what the answer is. I just don't know what alternate form of revolution the material conditions in the modern era lend themselves to. General strikes might still be an option.


From the interviews the protesters don't really know what to do. Also it's only a small section that actually supports the protest. Older people are resigned to the lose of rights that going to be introduced in 2040 and the younger kids are already being brainwashed by Chinese propaganda.

EDIT:
I guess they could try and get another country to intercede on their behalf.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Hong Kong Protests
by Skarjo » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:55 am

5th day of school being cancelled because the road is on fire.

:toot:

Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 266 guests