How does 'cade pronounce "lieutenant"

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Lieutenant is pronounced...

Poll ended at Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:42 pm

Loo-tenant.
36
63%
Left-tenant.
21
37%
 
Total votes: 57
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostHow does 'cade pronounce "lieutenant"
by KK » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:42 pm

With the revelation today that more Brits under the age of 49 now pronounce it the American way (61%), I was curious how people here say it.

YouGov wrote:Divided By a Common Language: It’s American Independence Day this week, so we are looking at how prominent Americanisms are in British language and culture today

When asked how they pronounce the military position ‘lieutenant’, more Brits say it in the American-style: ‘loo-tenant’ (49%) than the British way: ‘left-tenant’ (43%)

Younger generations are particularly influenced by the American pronunciation – 61% of those aged 25-49 say ‘loo-tenant’, compared to 28% of those over-65.

Image
User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: How does 'cade pronounce "lieutenant"
by Cuttooth » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:45 pm

American way because of the its cultural influx in my lifetime.

User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: How does 'cade pronounce "lieutenant"
by Karl_ » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:46 pm

I would say "loo" usually. Unless I was specifically speaking about a lieutenant in the British military, then I would say "left".

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: How does 'cade pronounce "lieutenant"
by Mafro » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:48 pm

Loo-tenant because that's basically how it's spelled.

What's with the strawberry floating stupid "left-tenant" pronunciation anyway?

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

PostRe: How does 'cade pronounce "lieutenant"
by False » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:48 pm

american because thats how it was in the movies

Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: How does 'cade pronounce "lieutenant"
by jawafour » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:49 pm

I kinda know that it's "lef", but I always find myself saying "loo".

I came into the thread thinking that "GRcade" was somehow pronounced as "lieutenant" :lol: .

User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: How does 'cade pronounce "lieutenant"
by Karl_ » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:53 pm

Mafro wrote:Loo-tenant because that's basically how it's spelled.

What's with the strawberry floating stupid "left-tenant" pronunciation anyway?

Wikipedia suggests it's because "u" was sometimes pronounced "f" in Old French if it came at the end of a word (like in lieu), which is pretty interesting! People have been saying it "loo" since Middle English, so it's not really fair to suggest it's an Americanism.

User avatar
jawafour
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: How does 'cade pronounce "lieutenant"
by jawafour » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:54 pm

Mafro wrote:Loo-tenant because that's basically how it's spelled...

You are rigeety, Maf.

User avatar
Lime
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lime

PostRe: How does 'cade pronounce "lieutenant"
by Lime » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:55 pm

jawafour wrote:I came into the thread thinking that "GRcade" was somehow pronounced as "lieutenant" :lol: .



It's pronounced 'Gra-cade'

The above post is followed by a winky, smiley or facepalm as appropriate.
3ds - 0946-2364-6907
Wii U - Monkeylime

WorkerScore: 1
Tasks To Next rank : 9
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: How does 'cade pronounce "lieutenant"
by jawafour » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:57 pm

Lime wrote:It's pronounced 'Gra-cade'

Gam sands tough :datass: .

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: How does 'cade pronounce "lieutenant"
by Lagamorph » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:05 pm

Star Trek made me pronounce it the American way and now I can't use any other.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: How does 'cade pronounce "lieutenant"
by Moggy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:08 pm

Rhymes with one.

User avatar
LewisD
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Contact:

PostRe: How does 'cade pronounce "lieutenant"
by LewisD » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:12 pm

Left obviously as it's correct.

Unless reference Lieutenant Gorman from aliens.
Or lieutenant Dan from forest gump.

Proud member of the Two-Exxers.
u ok hun xx
*Banned from commenting on "The perfect example"*
User avatar
Outrunner
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: How does 'cade pronounce "lieutenant"
by Outrunner » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:25 pm

Lagamorph wrote:Star Trek made me pronounce it the American way and now I can't use any other.


Pretty much this

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: How does 'cade pronounce "lieutenant"
by Ironhide » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:30 pm

LewisD wrote:Left obviously as it's correct.

Unless reference Lieutenant Gorman from aliens.
Or lieutenant Dan from forest gump.


This.

I'm an awkward sod anyway but there's something about the Americanisation of the English language that really rubs me the wrong way.

Image
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: How does 'cade pronounce "lieutenant"
by rinks » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:34 pm

Karl_ wrote:I would say "loo" usually. Unless I was specifically speaking about a lieutenant in the British military, then I would say "left".

The exact opposite of this.

User avatar
Sandy
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Akuma / Dormin
Location: Surrey, darling

PostRe: How does 'cade pronounce "lieutenant"
by Sandy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:35 pm

It's not left, it's lef. You're saying lef-tenant, not left-tenant. Almost bad as asking an English person to pronounce espresso and they magic an x out of nowhere.

I side with the Americans though - lu-tenant.

You don't say in lef of something do you? You say in lu of. It's the same word.

It's like when Americans call their child doctors pee-dee-a-tricians but they call their child molesters ped-a-files. It's the same word...why change the pronounciation?

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: How does 'cade pronounce "lieutenant"
by Moggy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:39 pm

Sandy wrote:It's not left, it's lef. You're saying lef-tenant, not left-tenant. Almost bad as asking an English person to pronounce espresso and they magic an x out of nowhere.


Can you be a little more pacific?

User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: How does 'cade pronounce "lieutenant"
by IAmTheSaladMan » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:40 pm

I was thinking something similar, when you get time off work in place of being paid it's not called Time Off in Lef.

Image
User avatar
Karl_
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Nyaaaaaaa~!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: How does 'cade pronounce "lieutenant"
by Karl_ » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:44 pm

Language is never particularly logical though. Why do we write queen instead of cwene? Because some mediaeval aristocrats thought it looked more French and therefore posher.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BTB, Cuttooth, Errkal, Rich, Skarjo, Tafdolphin, Tineash and 62 guests