How to pitch an idea for a TV game show?

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
LewisD
#grcadesangle
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Contact:

PostHow to pitch an idea for a TV game show?
by LewisD » Wed May 26, 2021 9:31 pm

Probably the silliest thread I've ever made!

We've been working on something at work, it started out as a silly idea for a daytime TV Game Show, but we kept working out new ideas for it, adding rules and extra steps, and somehow we have ended up with a solid idea for a game show that we could definitely imagine seeing on TV!

We've even tried it out at work during lunch and it's been great fun and genuinely competitive :lol:

But - how on earth do I go about putting this in front of someone without them nicking the idea?
Or, even someone in the "Biz" to say if it's a gooseberry fool idea or not?

GRcade game show, yeah! 8-)

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: How to pitch an idea for a TV game show?
by Victor Mildew » Wed May 26, 2021 9:34 pm

Image

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: How to pitch an idea for a TV game show?
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed May 26, 2021 9:36 pm

LewisD wrote:Probably the silliest thread I've ever made!

We've been working on something at work, it started out as a silly idea for a daytime TV Game Show, but we kept working out new ideas for it, adding rules and extra steps, and somehow we have ended up with a solid idea for a game show that we could definitely imagine seeing on TV!

We've even tried it out at work during lunch and it's been great fun and genuinely competitive :lol:

But - how on earth do I go about putting this in front of someone without them nicking the idea?
Or, even someone in the "Biz" to say if it's a gooseberry fool idea or not?

GRcade game show, yeah! 8-)

The simple answer is ask DML as making game shows is literally his job.

DML wrote:.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: How to pitch an idea for a TV game show?
by Moggy » Wed May 26, 2021 10:17 pm

DML wrote:Image

Image
User avatar
Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: How to pitch an idea for a TV game show?
by Winckle » Wed May 26, 2021 10:18 pm

Cheeky Devlin wrote:
LewisD wrote:Probably the silliest thread I've ever made!

We've been working on something at work, it started out as a silly idea for a daytime TV Game Show, but we kept working out new ideas for it, adding rules and extra steps, and somehow we have ended up with a solid idea for a game show that we could definitely imagine seeing on TV!

We've even tried it out at work during lunch and it's been great fun and genuinely competitive :lol:

But - how on earth do I go about putting this in front of someone without them nicking the idea?
Or, even someone in the "Biz" to say if it's a gooseberry fool idea or not?

GRcade game show, yeah! 8-)

The simple answer is ask DML as making game shows is literally his job.

DML wrote:.

DML told me my idea for a Southampton FC trivia programme was a bad idea.

User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: How to pitch an idea for a TV game show?
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed May 26, 2021 10:29 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
BonalityMatrix
Member
Joined in 2021

PostRe: How to pitch an idea for a TV game show?
by BonalityMatrix » Wed May 26, 2021 11:01 pm

Try approaching Endemol or someone similar.

User avatar
Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: How to pitch an idea for a TV game show?
by Vermilion » Thu May 27, 2021 7:52 am

Does the game have a wicked wango card?

Image

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: How to pitch an idea for a TV game show?
by Moggy » Thu May 27, 2021 7:57 am

Vermilion wrote:Does the game have a wicked wango card?

Image


There's only one Bamboozle :x

Image

Image
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: How to pitch an idea for a TV game show?
by DML » Thu May 27, 2021 10:46 am

The short answer is its not going to be easy.

When I first started in TV over a decade ago in my first stint before getting back in, it was very much the dying breaths of a guy with a suitcase shopping TV formats around. The one time I saw it happen it didn't result in a commission - in fact the idea seemed out of its depth, and it got a little bit ripped apart in the room.

Nowadays, buying formats from outside people (we're not talking foreign formats, just new formats from the general public) is very much a rarity. It has happened, but really TV companies want to own 100% of the rights and not give anything away unless they have to. Therefore they tend to back their own ideas rather than put precious time into someone elses idea who may therefore demand a fee or slice. This situation changes somewhat if what you bring to the table is a brand or technology or access to someone or something that the channel maybe could not get otherwise, but for just a paper format it is much harder. Another factor is the TV channel is backing the company as well as the idea, maybe because they've got a track record of doing that kind of programming, so before an idea goes anywhere it would need to be taken seriously by a suitable company who have a track record of getting TV shows made in that genre.

Also, really important point, is your format fun to WATCH? Lots of games are fun to play, but many of those games are not compelling to view. Its an important thing many people forget. If you were going to talk to people, you would be best not targeting your Endemols which are mega-conglomerates very unlikely to take your idea seriously and target smaller companies who do make gameshows. You should not contact channels and they do not decide what get pitched, only what gets made. I did try some schemes to get ideas into TV before I did TV so maybe they exist, but I was never successful, and thats why I wanted to get INTO TV so I could try and get ideas made.

In summary, it would need to be really bloody good. Not impossible mind, but go in with a half baked idea and it'll get short shrift. I can take a look over if you want.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: How to pitch an idea for a TV game show?
by Jenuall » Thu May 27, 2021 10:50 am

Do it yourself on YouTube!

User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: How to pitch an idea for a TV game show?
by DML » Thu May 27, 2021 11:02 am

Jenuall wrote:Do it yourself on YouTube!


Yep, that's definitely an option as well.

Image
User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: How to pitch an idea for a TV game show?
by Errkal » Thu May 27, 2021 11:03 am

GiveMeLotsOfMoneyForMyIdea @ Netflix.com

User avatar
aayl1
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: How to pitch an idea for a TV game show?
by aayl1 » Thu May 27, 2021 2:40 pm

Imagine a cross between Telly Addicts and Noel's Houseparty. Youve just imaged "Upstairs Downstairs", a new quiz show created and hosted by LewisD

Switch Code - 2446-6608-4888
User avatar
Imrahil
Member
Joined in 2013
Location: Location, Location

PostRe: How to pitch an idea for a TV game show?
by Imrahil » Thu May 27, 2021 2:44 pm


User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: How to pitch an idea for a TV game show?
by Victor Mildew » Thu May 27, 2021 3:11 pm

aayl1 wrote:Imagine a cross between Telly Addicts and Noel's Houseparty. Youve just imaged "Upstairs Downstairs", a new quiz show created and hosted by LewisD


:lol:

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
BonalityMatrix
Member
Joined in 2021

PostRe: How to pitch an idea for a TV game show?
by BonalityMatrix » Thu May 27, 2021 3:41 pm

Victor Mildew wrote:
aayl1 wrote:Imagine a cross between Telly Addicts and Noel's Houseparty. Youve just imaged "Upstairs Downstairs", a new quiz show created and hosted by LewisD


:lol:


I was waiting for this.


Return to “Stuff”