If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?

Yes I would pay it
18
33%
No I would not pay it
37
67%
 
Total votes: 55
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostIf the TV licence was optional would you pay it?
by Dual » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:15 am

If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?

User avatar
Zilnad
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?
by Zilnad » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:34 am

I don't pay it now, so no.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?
by Moggy » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:37 am

What do you mean by optional? A Netflix/Sky subscription or the decriminalisation of non-payment?

As long as the TV licence is compulsory I will pay it. If the BBC turns into a commercial network then I will judge it based on the output. If the output continues to be of high quality then I will subscribe, if it is gooseberry fool then I will cancel and pirate anything I want.

Image
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?
by Tomous » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:38 am

A few years ago, yes.

But there's no way I would support the BBC in their current incarnation.

Image
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?
by KK » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:44 am

Yesterday I watched Top Gear, Travels in Euroland with Ed Balls, and Universal Credit: Inside the Welfare State; Oxford vs Newcastle on Tuesday night; and Match of the Day 2 and the Superbowl on Sunday, all on the BBC. So yes.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula

PostRe: If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?
by Jenuall » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:46 am

Yes, absolutely. I get more value from BBC output (across all forms - TV, Radio, Internet) than I do pretty much any other service or subscription.

If the quality dropped or the range of what they offered became narrower then I would reconsider but right now I would be happy to keep subscribing.

Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?
by Preezy » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:51 am

90% of my tv viewing is now through Netflix, so no I probably wouldn't.

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?
by Drumstick » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:08 am

Interesting question.

I feel the BBC has, in the last 12-18 months, really allowed it's coverage to slide to a point where you cannot call it neutral. It has cowered to the right-wingers and no longer categorically states things as they are.

I'd miss Match of the Day, Dragons' Den and Test Match Special.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?
by Hexx » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:16 am

I probably would - but the new side's decline in last few years makes it very uncomfortable to do so

User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?
by Dual » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:19 am

Moggy wrote:What do you mean by optional? A Netflix/Sky subscription or the decriminalisation of non-payment?

As long as the TV licence is compulsory I will pay it. If the BBC turns into a commercial network then I will judge it based on the output. If the output continues to be of high quality then I will subscribe, if it is gooseberry fool then I will cancel and pirate anything I want.


Decriminalisation of non payment.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?
by Moggy » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:24 am

Dual wrote:
Moggy wrote:What do you mean by optional? A Netflix/Sky subscription or the decriminalisation of non-payment?

As long as the TV licence is compulsory I will pay it. If the BBC turns into a commercial network then I will judge it based on the output. If the output continues to be of high quality then I will subscribe, if it is gooseberry fool then I will cancel and pirate anything I want.


Decriminalisation of non payment.


In that case, yes I would continue to pay.

Image
User avatar
jawa4
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?
by jawa4 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:01 pm

I tend to prefer BBC output to that of most other media companies. In saying that, I only have access to the Freeview channels in terms of TV, though. I like how the BBC delivers output across tv, radio and the web and I feel that it tries to offer balanced programmes and reporting... although I recognise that not everyone feels that way. It seems that many folk feel it favours the opposite side to their particular viewpoint :-) .

I would be happy to continue paying the annual fee.

User avatar
darksideby182
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: cove grove

PostRe: If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?
by darksideby182 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:01 pm

Probably continue to pay and review if it's worth it on a payment scale basis.

Wii U : punkeator
Xbox live : darksideby182
Psn : darksideby182
steam : Punkeator
Origin : Punkeator
Switch : 6739-1557-7191
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?
by Squinty » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:08 pm

Probably not. I don't use it enough.

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:17 pm

Nope, along with about 45% of other Scots and, probably, 100% of Rangers supporters who are currently boycotting the Beeb. :lol:

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?
by Lagamorph » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:18 pm

I don't watch enough BBC content to justify £12/month for the license fee. That's more expensive than Netflix which offers a significantly wider variety of content. So if the BBC went to a subscription style of service I absolutely wouldn't bother.
If it's just "You still need a TV License to watch/record any form of content as it's broadcast no matter what channel it's on" but it just isn't a criminal offence not to pay it, then I'll continue to pay it.

Their news reporting has gone completely to gooseberry fool in the last few years as well. They've gone from a pretty strong unbiased position to having lurched to the right in the pursuit of "balance".

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:23 pm

They haven’t had a strong unbiased news position for the best part of a decade now, at least.

Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?
by Preezy » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:27 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:They haven’t had a strong unbiased news position for the best part of a decade now, at least.

I always thought the BBC (on their website, at least) was continually being criticised by The Right for being too left? "Another pro-climate change/pro-EU/pro-diversity article etc - wasn't that a thing?

Or am I thinking of something else?

User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?
by Hyperion » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:30 pm

A few years ago I'd have said yes absolutely, but now I barely watch live TV. The only thing I'd probably watch on BBC are a couple of quiz shows and Match of the Day. Big sporting events as well I suppose.

Image
User avatar
Balladeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: If the TV licence was optional would you pay it?
by Balladeer » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:35 pm

Preezy wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:They haven’t had a strong unbiased news position for the best part of a decade now, at least.

I always thought the BBC (on their website, at least) was continually being criticised by The Right for being too left? "Another pro-climate change/pro-EU/pro-diversity article etc - wasn't that a thing?

Or am I thinking of something else?

It is a thing. It’s why I’m always a little sceptical about everyone saying the Beeb has lurched, en masse, to the right. If it’s pissing off both sides that suggests it’s doing a decent job at neutrality, although of course ‘neutrality’ is debatable.

I don’t follow it for the news anyway. I watch stuff on iPlayer (HIGNFY :wub: ) and listen to Radio 3 and Test Match Special. So yes, I would keep paying, assuming output continued at current levels.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, Blue Eyes, Cuttooth, Denster, Frank, Joer, MSN [Bot], Parkreiner, Saint of Killers and 50 guests