Intellivision Amico | Launching 10 October 2021 | @totalamico

Anything to do with games at all.
jawa2
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: Intellivision Amico | Launching October 2021 TBC | @totalamico
by jawa2 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:20 pm

jawa2 wrote:...

> I get a feeling that the launch date could be a little later than hoped. Tommy has spoken about the challenges in competing with the bigger global companies for specific electrical components in the current market; and issues around booking space on shipping from China right now. I suspect that the launch date may be in the autumn rather than my earlier hope for July/August.


>>> Breaking news! <<<

It seems likely that the global launch will take place during October; Tommy has hinted that this will be confirmed in the update video scheduled for Wednesday. It is still planned that Founder backers will receive their consoles slightly earlier; and that the system will be shown to online channels and influencers over the summer. It is also planned that the console will be playable by the general public at major shopping centres across the UK - COVID restrictions permitting! - with details to be shared later.

User avatar
f
Go for it, Danmon!
Joined in 2008
Location: Peach Mountain

PostRe: Intellivision Amico | Launching October 2021 TBC | @totalamico
by f » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:38 am

I really don't understand the sales model behind this, at all. Why is there sixty quid worth of tech in every controller if the games on the console are the kind that could have been made on the SNES? Surely any developer creating software for this hardware is going to be hard pushed to make a profit on their development costs at a retail price of £4? The whole thing sounds like an absolute non starter - a dream to an excited gamer (the games will only be a few quid each!) but totally unsustainable from a business point of view, no?

Generating Real Conversations About Digital Entertainment
jawa2
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: Intellivision Amico | Launching October 2021 TBC | @totalamico
by jawa2 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:43 am

f wrote:I really don't understand the sales model behind this, at all...

Intellivision's core target for the Amico is family play and the mass market; similar to the Wii. It's not really in competition with the kinda core gamer who is buying an Xbox or a PlayStation. The goal is to have the Amico sitting under the TV in living rooms; with multiple players using the unique controllers to play a range of easy-to-pick-up games which are available at relatively cheap prices. You could say that the target mass market is now playing mobile games... but this is not particularly social; it tends to be individuals playing on a small screen rather than families enjoying a game on the big screen.

f wrote:...Why is there sixty quid worth of tech in every controller if the games on the console are the kind that could have been made on the SNES?...

The controllers are unique and - potentially! - have some fun capabilities. They're designed, rather like the Wii Remotes, to be attractive to the wider audience rather than the core gaming audience. The games are similar to SNES games? I understand your point in terms of pick-up-and play and relative simplicity... but the Amico will have a range of games and many of which you don't often see on consoles. Alongside shooters and platformers, there will be board games, puzzle games and children's games (such as Sesame Street, Care Bears and Hot Wheels!).

f wrote:...Surely any developer creating software for this hardware is going to be hard pushed to make a profit on their development costs at a retail price of £4?...

Game pricing is very low; far less than the majority of games launching on the current core console platforms. The games will - generally - be simpler; you probably won't be playing any 100-hour RPG epics on Amico. The initial launch pricing will have games in the £4 to £10 range but it is expected that these prices could raise; Tallarico has mentioned games being priced up to maybe £15. Physical versions of some games will be available at around £20 (the format of these has not yet been shared but it is anticipated that they will be a form of download key; something physical that uses RFID (similar to NFC) tech to link to the console). But, yes, a £4 game is probably going to be quite a light, simple experience whilst a £15 game will offer more levels/detail.

f wrote:...The whole thing sounds like an absolute non starter - a dream to an excited gamer (the games will only be a few quid each!) but totally unsustainable from a business point of view, no?

It's going to be hard breaking into the market but, personally, I feel the potential is there. The Wii and DS were massive successes and I feel that the current consoles - including Switch, Xbox and PlayStation - generally aren't tapping into that market. Families and friends perhaps don't often gather round the TV to play Xbox or PS; and even on Switch there perhaps isn't the same level of family play as there was on Wii, IMHO. All great machines, of course, but probably not the regular "family and friends" play that was there with the Wii.

Intellivision are a tiny company in comparison to the current giants, of course, and this will be a tough road. But if traction is gained quickly then big things could happen. It is believed that, globally, there are currently around 100k consoles pre-ordered; small beer in major console terms, but a great starting point for a smaller company. Will the mass market catch on to it quick enough for the system to get a foothold? That's the big question. The delays caused by the pandemic haven't helped but October certainly feels like a good time to launch a console; advertising and, maybe more so, word-of-mouth could help drive sales in the run-up to Christmas. We'll see!

jawa2
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: Intellivision Amico | Launching October 2021 TBC | @totalamico
by jawa2 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:33 pm

>>> Breaking news! <<<

> Tommy Tallarico has indicated that Intellivision is planning that, of the approximate 35 games available at launch (six of which will be included with the console), there will be "10 to 12" of those games available in a physical format. As mentioned before, we don't yet know what form the physical versions will take; they won't be discs or cartridges but a collectible with RFID tech that will allow you to download the game to your console. it is rumoured that the initial dozen will have a retro flavour in terms of design.

> A new work-in-progress video of Atari's Breakout by Choice Provisions (the Bit Trip developers) has just been released! It shows some single and multi player action. I like the vibe; retro updated for today.


User avatar
Yorkcityknight
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Intellivision Amico | Launching October 2021 TBC | @totalamico
by Yorkcityknight » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:27 pm

The OCD in me is struggling massively with the sideways on perspective in that Breakout video. Can appreciate it gives an additional 'depth' of view but there'd better be an option to flip that to a traditional vertical orientation or I'll never get my head around it!

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Intellivision Amico | Launching October 2021 TBC | @totalamico
by OrangeRKN » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:54 am

The bubbles on the system UI really remind me of PS Vita. I think this might be an omen :shifty:

The style of this break out game actually feels very PSP. Lumines-like, I guess! It definitely has a handheld quality to it (I mean quality in the emotive sense, not a value judgement) but that's probably my bias - I'd believe it if I were told they were going for a Space Invaders Extreme kind of style.

On the subject of breakout games I very recently played through Strikey Sisters in co-op on Switch and had lots of fun with it:


Image
Image
orkn.uk - @OrangeRakoon - Top 5 Games of 2020 - SW-6533-2461-3235
jawa2
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: Intellivision Amico | Launching October 2021 TBC | @totalamico
by jawa2 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:36 am

Yorkcityknight wrote:The OCD in me is struggling massively with the sideways on perspective in that Breakout video. Can appreciate it gives an additional 'depth' of view but there'd better be an option to flip that to a traditional vertical orientation or I'll never get my head around it!

I think that's a design choice, Yck - perhaps to make more use of a widescreen display. Breakout-type games have tried this successfully in the past; older gamers may recall the terrific Krakout published by Gremlin on the 8-bit computers:

Image

OrangeRKN wrote:The bubbles on the system UI really remind me of PS Vita...

Hee! Yeah, I got that vibe and it's an aspect that I'm not too sure about - I certainly wouldn't say I'm crazy about it. I think I'd prefer the more standard "flat tile" approach but, to be fair, we haven't seen too much of it so far.

Oh, and that Strikey Sisters breakout game on Switch looks fun! I enjoy breakout-styled games but haven't really played one since the excellent Shatter on PS3.

User avatar
f
Go for it, Danmon!
Joined in 2008
Location: Peach Mountain

PostRe: Intellivision Amico | Launching October 2021 TBC | @totalamico
by f » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:35 am

Maybe I'm bang out of order for bringing my negativity and cynicism into a thread as optimistic and celebratory as this, but...

jawa2 wrote:
f wrote:...Why is there sixty quid worth of tech in every controller if the games on the console are the kind that could have been made on the SNES?...

The controllers are unique and - potentially! - have some fun capabilities. They're designed, rather like the Wii Remotes, to be attractive to the wider audience rather than the core gaming audience.


None of the games shown so far seem to demonstrate any kind of feature that would require £60 of tech. Heck... none of the games shown so far demonstrate features that (visuals aside) couldn't be replicated on the GBA.

You've also mentioned the Wii a lot, but if that's what is being aimed for... well, they're missing. For a start:

In the OP, jawa2 wrote:Launch October 2021 TBC
System cost £249.99 TBC (Console, cables, two controllers, six games)
Game cost £2.99 to £9.99 TBC


The Wii launched at £179.99 in 2006, fifteen years ago... now if you bought a brand new Wii, an extra controller and six games, you'd be well over the £250 price point, but it's the kind of games on offer that are the killer here. If we were talking full retail release games then yes, it's much more expensive to buy Wii games, but we're talking the likes of Mario Galaxy here - undoubtedly the kind of software that sells units. Amico aren't getting near even the third-party party games that Wii played host to, like Boom Blox or Super Monkey Ball. The more reasonable comparison for the Amico, price-wise, would be WiiWare (I'll come back to this).

jawa2 wrote:The games are similar to SNES games? I understand your point in terms of pick-up-and play and relative simplicity... but the Amico will have a range of games and many of which you don't often see on consoles.


I don't buy this at all. Based on the video you shared there is nothing here out of the ordinary:

In the OP, jawa2 wrote:> Intellivision Amico gameplay trailer (10 October 2020)


The visuals are decent but the style of all the games is very retro. (And without the retro charm of the actual old games or at least replicating the visual style, where's the appeal?) I said SNES very deliberately because anything in this video would have been laughed out of town had it been released on N64. These are all 2D or single screen games. Yes, they've all been given a pleasing aesthetic makeover, but many are shameless rehashing of old games from the 16-bit era and earlier. Many of these look like they have been made on Flash gamemakers or would be bundled in those cheap "1000 games included!" consoles where 100 of the games are just Space Invaders with a different colour background. Hell, Pong is on the highlights reel, for crying out loud!

Compare with the range available on WiiWare - a console 15 years older...



Clearly there's something amiss here. Fast Racing League, Jett Rocket and FF: Life as a King were all released for WiiWare at an Amico price point. This was years ago.

To me, their messaging is mixed. Is this thing an attractive, low-priced, gateway entry into the world of casual gaming for families who want fun local multiplayer experiences? Or is this a clever alternative to the current consoles with a unique (albeit pricey) controller full of tech that allows for gameplay experiences that differ from what's already on the market? It seems like they're saying it's both... but with no software to highlight the hardware potential, it'll be impossible to sell, while the price undermines its purported intention as a casual console.

If they want to not lose a shedload of money, they need to do one of the following:

Vastly reduce the hardware costs to allow for a more favourable entry price point. It's no point having the Swiss army knife of modern controllers if it's used to play shovelware. Clearly the console isn't the issue given the games demonstrated so the cost factor must be driven by the two included controllers. If all the games need is a D-pad or joystick, some buttons and perhaps a motion sensor, ditch the rest of the functionality before release.

Or

Massively increase the quality of software on offer. Systems live and die on their games and right now the Amico has none. Sorry, but no parent is going to pay £250 so their kids can play through an interactive Sesame Street YouTube video. And the excuse that "they're free with the console!" or "they're only a few quid!" won't wash when the console itself costs so much and it's an extra £60 apiece for players 3 and 4.

Otherwise this thing is dead on arrival. They're selling a SNES Mini, devoid of retro charm, and with two mandatory Pro Controllers boxed in, upping the price massively.

Sorry jawa

Generating Real Conversations About Digital Entertainment
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Intellivision Amico | Launching October 2021 TBC | @totalamico
by Victor Mildew » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:43 am

People have powerful hand me down phones to give their kids which can play better games than this has for free.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
jawa2
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: Intellivision Amico | Launching October 2021 TBC | @totalamico
by jawa2 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:47 pm

f wrote:...
jawa2 wrote:
f wrote:...Why is there sixty quid worth of tech in every controller if the games on the console are the kind that could have been made on the SNES?...

The controllers are unique and - potentially! - have some fun capabilities. They're designed, rather like the Wii Remotes, to be attractive to the wider audience rather than the core gaming audience.


None of the games shown so far seem to demonstrate any kind of feature that would require £60 of tech...


The controllers contain this tech:

/ Two shipped with console

Dimensions / 6in x 2.75in x 1in

Wireless / Bluetooth, WiFi, RFID

Charging / Integrated wireless contact and/or wired USB C

Screen / 3.2” diagonal, 320 x 240 TFT color touchscreen

Audio / Speaker and microphone

Disc / 64-position disc with pressure sensing and interactive LED lighting

Buttons / 4 over-sized ambidextrous shoulder buttons, home button

Motion Control / gyroscope, accelerometer (wrist straps included)

Additional Features / Haptic force feedback, dedicated CPU and on-board memory


I can't think of many (any?") controllers currently on the market that include that spec. For £60, I think it stacks up pretty well to the controllers sold by other manufacturers; and no other console includes two controllers in the standard pack. As for games utilising the tech, I'll share some as reference for your next question:

f wrote:...Heck... none of the games shown so far demonstrate features that (visuals aside) couldn't be replicated on the GBA...

Here are some examples of how the controller's unique combination of features can be used in games currently in development:

> Bomb Squad utilises practically all of the controller features; including the led lights built into the console itself.

> Back Talk Party utilise the microphone to record clips of speech and play it back alongside clips recorded from other players.

> Bowling... yep, Wii-type motion controlled bowling!

> Cornhole uses the motion/gyro controls as you throw the objects to try and get nearest the cornhole.

> Farkle uses the motion/gyro controls and lcd screen to throw the dice from your controller onto the TV

> Texas Hold 'Em uses the lcd screen for players to view their own cards separately from the common cards shown on the TV screen.

f wrote:...You've also mentioned the Wii a lot, but if that's what is being aimed for... well, they're missing. For a start:

In the OP, jawa2 wrote:Launch October 2021 TBC
System cost £249.99 TBC (Console, cables, two controllers, six games)
Game cost £2.99 to £9.99 TBC


The Wii launched at £179.99 in 2006, fifteen years ago... now if you bought a brand new Wii, an extra controller and six games, you'd be well over the £250 price point...

The Wii's price point of £180 is equivalent to £266 today (as per the Bank of England's online inflation calculator). Additional Wii Remote controllers were £40; equivalent to £59 today. I feel that the Amico pricing is competitive with this, especially considering the enhanced functionality... and that the Wii console cost was generally considered to be pretty low at release.

f wrote:...but it's the kind of games on offer that are the killer here. If we were talking full retail release games then yes, it's much more expensive to buy Wii games, but we're talking the likes of Mario Galaxy here - undoubtedly the kind of software that sells units. Amico aren't getting near even the third-party party games that Wii played host to, like Boom Blox or Super Monkey Ball...

Mario Galaxy is a fantastic game and undoubtedly a console seller, in my eyes... although we shouldn't forget that the 2D Mario games were bigger sellers than the 3D versions. As more hardcore gamers we love the 3D variants but the casual/mass market responded more strongly to the 2D games. I, too, love the Boom Blox games and that's the kind of title that I'd anticipate seeing on the Amico. The games you've mentioned are terrific but they were £40 each; far beyond the pricing that most Amico games will be. Will Amico games offer fifteen-hour playthrough times on their platform games? Probably not, but at, say, £10 I doubt that most folk would be too concerned by this.

f wrote:
jawa2 wrote:The games are similar to SNES games? I understand your point in terms of pick-up-and play and relative simplicity... but the Amico will have a range of games and many of which you don't often see on consoles.


I don't buy this at all. Based on the video you shared there is nothing here out of the ordinary:

In the OP, jawa2 wrote:> Intellivision Amico gameplay trailer (10 October 2020)


The visuals are decent but the style of all the games is very retro. (And without the retro charm of the actual old games or at least replicating the visual style, where's the appeal?) I said SNES very deliberately because anything in this video would have been laughed out of town had it been released on N64. These are all 2D or single screen games. Yes, they've all been given a pleasing aesthetic makeover, but many are shameless rehashing of old games from the 16-bit era and earlier.

Many of these look like they have been made on Flash gamemakers or would be bundled in those cheap "1000 games included!" consoles where 100 of the games are just Space Invaders with a different colour background. Hell, Pong is on the highlights reel, for crying out loud!

Compare with the range available on WiiWare - a console 15 years older...



Clearly there's something amiss here. Fast Racing League, Jett Rocket and FF: Life as a King were all released for WiiWare at an Amico price point. This was years ago.

To me, their messaging is mixed. Is this thing an attractive, low-priced, gateway entry into the world of casual gaming for families who want fun local multiplayer experiences? Or is this a clever alternative to the current consoles with a unique (albeit pricey) controller full of tech that allows for gameplay experiences that differ from what's already on the market? It seems like they're saying it's both... but with no software to highlight the hardware potential, it'll be impossible to sell, while the price undermines its purported intention as a casual console...

The N64? That was released as a cutting edge console that had some of the most expensive games around. It did have some updated retro games such as Robotron and Road Rash (both of which I loved!) and, err, Paperboy and Lode Runner... all of which were damned because of their high pricing and that they weren't utilising the full features of the new system.

I loved WiiWare! I played a number of those games and often they were great fun. Indeed, over the life of the Wii there were some excellent titles released. I'm not quite sure what that proves, though?

The Amico is - generally - focussed on casual, 2D / 2.5D gaming, with the games being easily accessible and priced at affordable levels. It's not competing with Xbox or PlayStation; the videogame market is big enough for different types of systems to exist. The mass market doesn't really gather around the living room TV to play Halo, God of War or even FIFA; they're fantastic games, of course, but generally families and friends want simple, fun games which are pick-up-and-play. I totally get the idea that this console and the games don't appeal to you... that's all good! However, there are other people - many of whom may not have played games much since the Wii - that maybe would be keen to play these simpler, more family-focussed titles.

A console can aim for more than one sector of the gaming market. The Amico is doing this; initially it's target will be the older gamer market (maybe late 30s onwards) who are familiar with the retro-styled titles, but the big goal is to capture that broad type of audience that played Wii - children, families and older people. The Amico will have a number of card, dice, chikdren's and board games that core gamers may well reel back from... but the target market will enjoy them!

You mentioned pricing again and I've covered that above.


f wrote:...If they want to not lose a shedload of money, they need to do one of the following:

Vastly reduce the hardware costs to allow for a more favourable entry price point. It's no point having the Swiss army knife of modern controllers if it's used to play shovelware. Clearly the console isn't the issue given the games demonstrated so the cost factor must be driven by the two included controllers. If all the games need is a D-pad or joystick, some buttons and perhaps a motion sensor, ditch the rest of the functionality before release.

Or

Massively increase the quality of software on offer. Systems live and die on their games and right now the Amico has none. Sorry, but no parent is going to pay £250 so their kids can play through an interactive Sesame Street YouTube video. And the excuse that "they're free with the console!" or "they're only a few quid!" won't wash when the console itself costs so much and it's an extra £60 apiece for players 3 and 4...


Again... pricing. As above, the cost is roughly in line with that of the Wii at launch. There are games that utilise the controller and console features (some of which I've detailed above). The controllers aren't cheap... but the price is similar to that of the Wii controllers and pack in a lot of tech for that cost; more so than for other console controller. If a game doesn't utilise the controller features, mobile devices can be connected to the console and used instead - and the app to do that is free to download. Sure, it may not be the preferred control method, but both are on offer - you can buy controllers or (for some games) use your phone. Up to eight controllers (official or mobile) can be connected.

f wrote:...Otherwise this thing is dead on arrival. They're selling a SNES Mini, devoid of retro charm, and with two mandatory Pro Controllers boxed in, upping the price massively...

It's pretty clear that you're not keen, Dan and - as I said above - that's all cool! Amico may well not be for you!

However, I do feel that you're mistaken on some aspects such as the games utilising the tech of the controllers, the target market and pricing and I hope that my answers have provided a bit more info on those aspects.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Intellivision Amico | Launching October 2021 TBC | @totalamico
by Jenuall » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:15 pm

Surely the Switch counts as having two controllers in the "standard pack"?

I think that's one of the best things about the Switch and a positive for this as well - being able to support local multiplayer right out of the box is a big win for a more family/wider audience aiming machine

jawa2
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: Intellivision Amico | Launching October 2021 TBC | @totalamico
by jawa2 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:22 pm

Jenuall wrote:Surely the Switch counts as having two controllers in the "standard pack"?...

I feel it does! I'm not a big fan of the single joy-con myself but it definitely does allow for multiplayer gaming.

Jenuall wrote:...I think that's one of the best things about the Switch and a positive for this as well - being able to support local multiplayer right out of the box is a big win for a more family/wider audience aiming machine

Yeah, the capability to have local multiplayer right from the off is a great thing; for Switch and Amico. Intellivision did market research with both retailers and the public, with the two-controller approach being perceived as a big plus.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Intellivision Amico | Launching October 2021 TBC | @totalamico
by Jenuall » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:37 pm

It definitely feels like a smart move, there are lots of risks associated with trying to break into the games industry so I think everyone is always going to be sceptical of things like this, but it sounds like they are doing a good job of aiming for a different market to what most of their competitors are currently targeting which should help them.

User avatar
Clarkman
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Intellivision Amico | Launching October 2021 TBC | @totalamico
by Clarkman » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:53 pm

Jawa, how many hours do you feel you need to play your Amico for before you get a good return on investment?

If I'm buying any piece of hardware, I reckon I want an absolute minimum of 1000 hours of game time out of it. If I was to buy the Xbox Series S for the same RRP as the Amico, I'd be pretty confident I'd get that.

Do you believe the games available on Aimco are going to give you and your family a minimum of 1000 hours of game time? Or are you going to whip it out max once a month for a novelty 10 minutes?

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Intellivision Amico | Launching October 2021 TBC | @totalamico
by Victor Mildew » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:55 pm

He's getting his free though ;)

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
jawa2
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: Intellivision Amico | Launching October 2021 TBC | @totalamico
by jawa2 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:02 pm

Clarkman wrote:Jawa, how many hours do you feel you need to play your Amico for before you get a good return on investment?

If I'm buying any piece of hardware, I reckon I want an absolute minimum of 1000 hours of game time out of it. If I was to buy the Xbox Series S for the same RRP as the Amico, I'd be pretty confident I'd get that.

Do you believe the games available on Aimco are going to give you and your family a minimum of 1000 hours of game time? Or are you going to whip it out max once a month for a novelty 10 minutes?

To be honest, I've never bought a console thinking that I'm going to play it for a minimum number of hours; or even an approximate range, Clarkman. Supposing I put your own question back to you in the format of "How many hours do you think you'll play on your Xbox with your family? Will it be half-hour of FIFA once a month? Is that worth it?". It'd seem a bit odd because that's not the prime reason for buying an Xbox.

Similarly, I could challenge those folk currently buying Xbox Series or PS5 consoles as on paper it doesn't make practical sense right now. With the consoles costing £450 plus online subscription plus extra controllers and with games priced at around £60... with relatively few dedicated games available yet that justify that level of spend. But, of course, there are different angles and perspectives; for me, they're not worth it right now but for others they're attractive.

The links to Xbox and PlayStation are - in my eyes - a non-starter. Beyond being able to play videogames, they're different beasts for different situations. The games are leagues apart; we're not going to be buying £70, 100-hour RPGs on Amico, just as we're not buying £7, 6-hour Breakouts on Xbox.

There is room in the gaming market for more than the hardcore consoles. I'm not saying that Amico will arrive and take 25% of the market, of course - I think it'll have a tough challenge to get a foothold. But I do think that there is a gap in the console space for casual/family gaming that the current big-hitters - even Nintendo - aren't really reaching.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Intellivision Amico | Launching October 2021 TBC | @totalamico
by OrangeRKN » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:15 pm

jawa2 wrote:The links to Xbox and PlayStation are - in my eyes - a non-starter. Beyond being able to play videogames, they're different beasts for different situations. The games are leagues apart; we're not going to be buying £70, 100-hour RPGs on Amico, just as we're not buying £7, 6-hour Breakouts on Xbox.


Here's the thing though jawa, you can get £7, 6-hour Breakouts on Xbox.

Image
Image
orkn.uk - @OrangeRakoon - Top 5 Games of 2020 - SW-6533-2461-3235
User avatar
Clarkman
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Intellivision Amico | Launching October 2021 TBC | @totalamico
by Clarkman » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:15 pm

Given that it is videogame hardware, I think it is disingenuous to suggest it doesn't merit comparisons on a videogame forum.

Let's go back to a comparison you have consistently made through this thread: the Wii - the apparent gold standard of a family console.

For most consumers, the Wii represented okay ROI with an attach rate of just over 9 games per console, however, part of Nintendos catastrophic failure post-Wii was not retaining this audience. Many analysts attribute this to the fact that the novelty of experiences that are only possible on the Wii wear off very quickly and low quality shovel-ware titles just don't hold a long term appeal.

If the goal of Amico is to rebuild a successful brand around family gaming beyond just this initial market entry point, the company will need to overcome the same things.

I have many friends with young families - I can honestly say the kids have never expressed any desire or interest in playing games as a family. What do you think the target age range is for a child who wants to spend regular time gaming with their parents?

jawa2
Member
Joined in 2020

PostRe: Intellivision Amico | Launching October 2021 TBC | @totalamico
by jawa2 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:49 pm

Guys, I'm taking a break from GR for a bit.

I have taken time to respond in detail to questions raised about Amico over the past few pages. And I get it; 99.8% of you won't be buying the Amico and you don't think it'll have what it takes to break into the gaming market. That's all cool and it's a great thing that you're happy with your existing systems.

I feel that the thread is becoming somewhat of a forum meme, though; people only really pop in to take the mick and/or share their views on why Amico is going to fail. Again, that's all sort of okay; it's just different perspectives. I do get frustrated, though, when people list questions - often quite a number - and will be the first to shout if I don't answer *everything* and yet seemingly fail to read my responses or even acknowledge any point made. I'm not oblivious to the challenges that face the system nor denying them; but it's tough dealing with pretty-much solely negative stuff when I'm genuinely excited about the console.

So, I'm just frustrated with the forum right now and, in that situation, it's best to take a break. I don't "hate" anyone and there aren't any grudges. If anyone does want to keep an eye on what's happening with Amico, well, you'll know that I'll be posting at @totalamico .

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Intellivision Amico | Launching October 2021 TBC | @totalamico
by Jenuall » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:54 pm

Clarkman wrote:I have many friends with young families - I can honestly say the kids have never expressed any desire or interest in playing games as a family. What do you think the target age range is for a child who wants to spend regular time gaming with their parents?

We game quite a lot as a family to be fair. The Switch is great for it because so many of the games support local multiplayer, provide co-op modes and support options where someone older/better can help someone who is not so experienced, and the aforementioned fact that every system comes with two controllers means it is ready for it out of the box.

We played through all of Mario Odyssey as a family with people taking it in turns to play as either Mario or Cappy, Mario Kart is a regular feature because 4 of us can jump on and quickly race or battle each other, Luigi's Mansion 3 has been a revelation with its excellent selection of multiplayer modes that allow all 5 of us to play against each other. Just this last weekend we all started 3D World together and it was an absolute blast.

There's definitely a market for family gaming.

Last edited by Jenuall on Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: OldSoulCyborg and 89 guests