Interesting facts that sound like utter bollocks

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Interesting facts that sound like utter bollocks
by OrangeRKN » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:06 am

Zilnad wrote:You can't kill an ant in a microwave.


Wow, I didn't believe this but it's true!

There is an ants nest just outside the back door, so I got one on a wooden spoon and put it in the microwave. Full power for a minute, litter guy is just chilling, scurrying around. Another five minutes - nothing. I picked up the wooden spoon and tried hitting the ant with it - he just shrugged it off. Sharp knife, spatula, even rolling pin - none of them had any visible effect. I got some ant killer spray from the cupboard - this stuff works wonders normally - but the ant in the microwave just stared me down as I sprayed half the can over him. The can warns the spray is flammable, so I lit it up. Think the microwave is strawberry floated but the ant just started laughing as the flames parted around him. I didn't expect to find the secret of immortality in my kitchen, but I guess ants just can't be killed in a microwave.

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Interesting facts that sound like utter bollocks
by OrangeRKN » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:07 am

Parksey wrote:
Jenuall wrote:The classic: humans live closer to the time of the T-Rex than the T-Rex lived to the time of Stegosaurus


Wasn't there a fact that, actually, all of the species in Jurassic Park, weren't even from the Jurassic period.

Can't vouch for the entire accuracy of that fact, but I know humans certainly weren't.


Richard Attenborough might have been

Image
Image
orkn.uk - SW-6533-2461-3235 - @OrangeRakoon - ACNH Howdyfern
User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Welcome to the party, pal

PostRe: Interesting facts that sound like utter bollocks
by Chocolate-Milk » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:08 am

Karl_ wrote:
Skarjo wrote:Image


Skarjo attempting to draw the Earth:

Image

Don't you even know the Earth when you see it?!

Image
It was me, Dio!
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009
Location: The Umbral Plains

PostRe: Interesting facts that sound like utter bollocks
by Preezy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:23 am

The Dilophosaurus was from the Jurassic, but the T-Rex and Triceratops are both from the Cretaceous period.

Image
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Interesting facts that sound like utter bollocks
by rinks » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:23 am

Not an interesting fact, but on the theme of x was closer to y:

When I learnt about the Second World War at school, it seemed like ancient history. It was 37 years after the war ended. And that school term was 38 years ago.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Interesting facts that sound like utter bollocks
by Moggy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:28 am

Parksey wrote:
Jenuall wrote:The classic: humans live closer to the time of the T-Rex than the T-Rex lived to the time of Stegosaurus


Wasn't there a fact that, actually, all of the species in Jurassic Park, weren't even from the Jurassic period.

Can't vouch for the entire accuracy of that fact, but I know humans certainly weren't.


Humans weren't? Then explain this:

Image

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Interesting facts that sound like utter bollocks
by Moggy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:31 am

rinks wrote:Not an interesting fact, but on the theme of x was closer to y:

When I learnt about the Second World War at school, it seemed like ancient history. It was 37 years after the war ended. And that school term was 38 years ago.


If you want to feel old: http://you.regettingold.com/

Image
User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Interesting facts that sound like utter bollocks
by Parksey » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:48 am

Moggy wrote:
Parksey wrote:
Jenuall wrote:The classic: humans live closer to the time of the T-Rex than the T-Rex lived to the time of Stegosaurus


Wasn't there a fact that, actually, all of the species in Jurassic Park, weren't even from the Jurassic period.

Can't vouch for the entire accuracy of that fact, but I know humans certainly weren't.


Humans weren't? Then explain this:

Image


No, upon closer inspection I believe that photo to be a fake.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Interesting facts that sound like utter bollocks
by Moggy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:49 am

Parksey wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Parksey wrote:
Jenuall wrote:The classic: humans live closer to the time of the T-Rex than the T-Rex lived to the time of Stegosaurus


Wasn't there a fact that, actually, all of the species in Jurassic Park, weren't even from the Jurassic period.

Can't vouch for the entire accuracy of that fact, but I know humans certainly weren't.


Humans weren't? Then explain this:

Image


No, upon closer inspection I believe that photo to be a fake.


I know, they photoshopped Jesus in.

Image
User avatar
Zilnad
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: Interesting facts that sound like utter bollocks
by Zilnad » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:19 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:
Zilnad wrote:You can't kill an ant in a microwave.


Wow, I didn't believe this but it's true!

There is an ants nest just outside the back door, so I got one on a wooden spoon and put it in the microwave. Full power for a minute, litter guy is just chilling, scurrying around. Another five minutes - nothing. I picked up the wooden spoon and tried hitting the ant with it - he just shrugged it off. Sharp knife, spatula, even rolling pin - none of them had any visible effect. I got some ant killer spray from the cupboard - this stuff works wonders normally - but the ant in the microwave just stared me down as I sprayed half the can over him. The can warns the spray is flammable, so I lit it up. Think the microwave is strawberry floated but the ant just started laughing as the flames parted around him. I didn't expect to find the secret of immortality in my kitchen, but I guess ants just can't be killed in a microwave.


Thanks for giving me a real big belly laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is true though. Something to do with them not having enough water in their bodies to be cooked alive by a microwave.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009
Location: The Umbral Plains

PostRe: Interesting facts that sound like utter bollocks
by Preezy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:21 pm

What if you dropped a microwave onto an ant? That'd probably kill it.

Image
User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Interesting facts that sound like utter bollocks
by Dowbocop » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:28 pm

Zilnad wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:
Zilnad wrote:You can't kill an ant in a microwave.


Wow, I didn't believe this but it's true!

There is an ants nest just outside the back door, so I got one on a wooden spoon and put it in the microwave. Full power for a minute, litter guy is just chilling, scurrying around. Another five minutes - nothing. I picked up the wooden spoon and tried hitting the ant with it - he just shrugged it off. Sharp knife, spatula, even rolling pin - none of them had any visible effect. I got some ant killer spray from the cupboard - this stuff works wonders normally - but the ant in the microwave just stared me down as I sprayed half the can over him. The can warns the spray is flammable, so I lit it up. Think the microwave is strawberry floated but the ant just started laughing as the flames parted around him. I didn't expect to find the secret of immortality in my kitchen, but I guess ants just can't be killed in a microwave.


Thanks for giving me a real big belly laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is true though. Something to do with them not having enough water in their bodies to be cooked alive by a microwave.

Isn't it to do with them being small enough to fit within the wavelength of microwave radiation so they don't absorb very much energy?

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Interesting facts that sound like utter bollocks
by Lagamorph » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:33 pm

An average cloud weighs over 500,000KG.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Zilnad
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: Interesting facts that sound like utter bollocks
by Zilnad » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:02 pm

Dowbocop wrote:
Zilnad wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:
Zilnad wrote:You can't kill an ant in a microwave.


Wow, I didn't believe this but it's true!

There is an ants nest just outside the back door, so I got one on a wooden spoon and put it in the microwave. Full power for a minute, litter guy is just chilling, scurrying around. Another five minutes - nothing. I picked up the wooden spoon and tried hitting the ant with it - he just shrugged it off. Sharp knife, spatula, even rolling pin - none of them had any visible effect. I got some ant killer spray from the cupboard - this stuff works wonders normally - but the ant in the microwave just stared me down as I sprayed half the can over him. The can warns the spray is flammable, so I lit it up. Think the microwave is strawberry floated but the ant just started laughing as the flames parted around him. I didn't expect to find the secret of immortality in my kitchen, but I guess ants just can't be killed in a microwave.


Thanks for giving me a real big belly laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is true though. Something to do with them not having enough water in their bodies to be cooked alive by a microwave.

Isn't it to do with them being small enough to fit within the wavelength of microwave radiation so they don't absorb very much energy?


Perhaps, I've heard that as well. Either way, the ant survives :datass:

User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Interesting facts that sound like utter bollocks
by rinks » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:03 pm

Moggy wrote:
rinks wrote:Not an interesting fact, but on the theme of x was closer to y:

When I learnt about the Second World War at school, it seemed like ancient history. It was 37 years after the war ended. And that school term was 38 years ago.


If you want to feel old: http://you.regettingold.com/


I'm the same age as Tinie Tempah plus Catharina-Amalia, Princess of Orange. Not really sure how to feel about that.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Interesting facts that sound like utter bollocks
by Moggy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:10 pm

rinks wrote:
Moggy wrote:
rinks wrote:Not an interesting fact, but on the theme of x was closer to y:

When I learnt about the Second World War at school, it seemed like ancient history. It was 37 years after the war ended. And that school term was 38 years ago.


If you want to feel old: http://you.regettingold.com/


I'm the same age as Tinie Tempah plus Catharina-Amalia, Princess of Orange. Not really sure how to feel about that.


It's enough to make you Pass Out.

Image
User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Interesting facts that sound like utter bollocks
by Vermilion » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:18 pm

Jenuall wrote:Nothing like a cool pitcher of Guinness on a hot day. :datass:

Image


Oh no!

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Interesting facts that sound like utter bollocks
by Ironhide » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:06 pm

Salvador Dali designed the Chupa Chups logo.

Image
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Interesting facts that sound like utter bollocks
by KK » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:09 pm

Jenuall wrote::lol:

It is true though, it's to do with the process used to produce Flakes which alters the chemical construction of the chocolate.

Here is a detailed scientific experiment showing it in action, sorry if the video is a bit stuffy and poe-faced but science is serious business!


It does however turn white in hot weather, making it just as disappointing to eat as other chocolate in the summer.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Interesting facts that sound like utter bollocks
by Moggy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:16 pm

Hitler, Trotsky, Tito, Freud and Stalin all lived in Vienna at the same time.

Image

Return to “Stuff”