Is the next financial crisis upon us?

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Is the next financial crisis upon us?
by Cuttooth » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:02 pm

KK wrote:I look forward to more 'We have targets, of course we do, but we work hard and play hard...ooooh, Donna's cakes' Amazon commercials about how great they are to work for.

They seem to be rolling non stop at the moment. :lol:

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Is the next financial crisis upon us?
by Tomous » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:03 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:While I think Amazon are a crappy company to work for I think the main problem is just the lack of paid holiday and sick leave in the US in general. Until they can overcome the republican brainwashing and join the rest of the world in having reasonable amounts of both there's always going to be companies who just give people the bare minimum.

Americans need to wake up and realise they're being taken advantage of and working themselves to death for companies who don't give a single gooseberry fool about them and who have shown for decades they're happy to just sack everyone and strawberry float off to a cheaper place if they can and it doesn't matter if you've never taken a days holiday in 30 years.



It's not just in the US though. Amazon use the Uber model of "they're contractors so we don't need to give full benefits" with a lot of their delivery drivers in this country. Although I imagine it's the Uber drivers that are more strawberry floated for the next few months.

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Is the next financial crisis upon us?
by Peter Crisp » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:08 pm

I'm 100% against zero hours contracts and think they should be illegal.
In theory it gives people the power to work when they want but in reality all it does is give employers all the power as they simply won't take back someone who's unwilling to work exactly when they want.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Is the next financial crisis upon us?
by Tomous » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:14 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:I'm 100% against zero hours contracts and think they should be illegal.
In theory it gives people the power to work when they want but in reality all it does is give employers all the power as they simply won't take back someone who's unwilling to work exactly when they want.



Totally agree, it's just a way of circumnavigating labour laws for the employer's benefit.

Image
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Is the next financial crisis upon us?
by Drumstick » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:03 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:While I think Amazon are a crappy company to work for I think the main problem is just the lack of paid holiday and sick leave in the US in general. Until they can overcome the republican brainwashing and join the rest of the world in having reasonable amounts of both there's always going to be companies who just give people the bare minimum.

Americans need to wake up and realise they're being taken advantage of and working themselves to death for companies who don't give a single gooseberry fool about them and who have shown for decades they're happy to just sack everyone and strawberry float off to a cheaper place if they can and it doesn't matter if you've never taken a days holiday in 30 years.

Anyone that has merely glanced at the US Politics thread by accident probably knows that this is something you are very passionate about.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Is the next financial crisis upon us?
by Peter Crisp » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:18 pm

Drumstick wrote:Anyone that has merely glanced at the US Politics thread by accident probably knows that this is something you are very passionate about.


It's just sad to see so many Americans who are more worried about the plight of the ultra wealthy and huge corporations than they are about average fellow Americans.
These people have been told Europe is a financial basket case because we have decent social provisions and they don't do even basic research to see how untrue that is because they believe in the Republican party and Fox News.
The UK for example lets the Communist party do whatever the hell they like because we know they have zero chance of even getting a single seat in parliament because everyone is sensible enough to know Communism isn't great. In the US however they've been conditioned to be gooseberry fool scared of Communism to a laughable degree that even merely saying you kind of agree with some aspects will start huge arguments which will likely involve the word Venezuela in a few seconds.

It's all very interesting to see otherwise sensible people voting to make themselves worse off and a few people richer and be so aggressively negative towards people who simply try and show them that there is another way to do things.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Is the next financial crisis upon us?
by Cuttooth » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:31 pm

Cuttooth wrote:It means it's twins on the way, so double bad recession.




Congrats on the twins ROTS.

User avatar
imbusydoctorwho
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Is the next financial crisis upon us?
by imbusydoctorwho » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:07 pm

I miss the uncertainty of Brexit, as the potential economic effects of this Cornavirus are far far worse.
Once this is all over there will be high debt in many households especially folks on zero hour contracts, low incomes and the self employed, hopefully the government will detail more packages to help people and small business today.

Image
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: Is the next financial crisis upon us?
by Grumpy David » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:10 pm

I was about to post in here about how strange it is that stock market indices have improved over the last few weeks (my ISA was minus 20% and is now minus 8%) and then this happened:





https://finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/oil-crashes-lowest-level-since-113552445.html

Literally paying people to take oil off their hands as storage is basically at max capacity. Crazy!

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Is the next financial crisis upon us?
by Drumstick » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:13 pm

And overseen by Donald Trump, the man with the best numbers.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Is the next financial crisis upon us?
by KK » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:40 pm

Buy the oil, stick it in your garage, wait, MILLIONAIRE.

This time next year, Rodders...

Image
User avatar
False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Is the next financial crisis upon us?
by False » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:21 pm

KK wrote:Buy the oil, stick it in your garage, wait, MILLIONAIRE.

This time next year, Rodders...


Image

Image
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Is the next financial crisis upon us?
by Dual » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:30 pm

False wrote:
Image


Mac: It involves us pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own. (long pause) Not gay sex.
Charlie: Ah... okay, 'cause that's what it sounded like. What did you mean...
Mac: We're gonna solve the gas crisis!
Charlie: Oh, good!

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Is the next financial crisis upon us?
by Moggy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:30 pm

Drumstick wrote:And overseen by Donald Trump, the man with the best numbers.


He’ll spin it as “we’ve dropped the price of gas which will help hardworking Americans!”

Image
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Is the next financial crisis upon us?
by Return_of_the_STAR » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:26 pm

Shouldn't non oil producing governments be buying tons of this cheap oil to stock up on?

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Is the next financial crisis upon us?
by Peter Crisp » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:33 pm

Have they considered maybe leaving it in the ground? It's not like it's going anywhere.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Is the next financial crisis upon us?
by Tomous » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:36 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:Have they considered maybe leaving it in the ground? It's not like it's going anywhere.



The Saudis actually decided to ramp up production last month in a price war with Russia :slol:

Image
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: Is the next financial crisis upon us?
by Grumpy David » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:38 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:Shouldn't non oil producing governments be buying tons of this cheap oil to stock up on?


It's futures in West Texas fracking company which basically doesn't get exported and is fiddly to transport and USA storage centres are full.

Brent Crude prices aren't negative but the storage issue applies not just to the USA either. Most countries will have seen demand plummet.

User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Is the next financial crisis upon us?
by Lex-Man » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:59 pm

imbusydoctorwho wrote:I miss the uncertainty of Brexit, as the potential economic effects of this Cornavirus are far far worse.
Once this is all over there will be high debt in many households especially folks on zero hour contracts, low incomes and the self employed, hopefully the government will detail more packages to help people and small business today.


The think is the government isn't moving Brexit back because of Corona so we maybe hit by that just as we start to get out of this whole thing. It's actually crazy.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Is the next financial crisis upon us?
by Green Gecko » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:40 am

Can that valuation by tracked on a graph that spans, for example, a period of years rather than literally the last couple of hours?

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image

Return to “Stuff”