Jurassic World - The Park is Open - Out now

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Starjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Jurassic World - The Park is Open - Out now
by Starjo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:22 am

Right, so more detailed review (spoilers ahoy);

The first act and set up was brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. The throwback nods and scene setting were brilliant, the park was brilliant, and in that first act I basically didn't stop feeling about seven years old. Also, I liked that, as Skippy said, almost immediately dispelled any fears about the Raptor squad by establishing that they were barely controlled, and Pratt's tenuous role as the 'Alpha' of the pack means that they are far from pets and still a hair-width away from being the killing machines they were in JP1.

Then the second act starts and there's about twenty minutes where they're establishing the 'science' behind why the gooseberry fool is hitting the fan and I nearly had my head in my hands over how strawberry floating stupid it was. Like, the entire first film is predicated on the idea that repairing the dino DNA with other animals had unforeseen side effects. So when they're like 'why can it camouflage?' 'Oh because we gave it *insert bullshit here* DNA for reasons and didn't think about it'. REALLY? You didn't think about it despite that exact bullshit being the WHOLE POINT OF THE FIRST FILM? I KNOW YOU KNOW THAT DR WU BECAUSE YOU WERE strawberry floating THERE! DON'T YOU RUN AWAY FROM THIS WITH YOUR SUITCASE FULL OF SEQUEL COME BACK HERE YOU SON OF A BITCH.

Also, the whole sequence where the Big Bad escapes was retarded. It being able to hide it's heat signature was silly enough, but they decided to all go into the cage to check out the decoy and only *then* ask to check the strawberry floating location chip (surprise surprise, it's still in there with them). REALLY? YOU DIDN'T THINK TO CHECK THE LOCATION CHIP strawberry floating FIRST? REALLY? I would have thought that the sequence would go 'Hmm, this horrible crazy mutant dinosaur appears to not be in the pen' - "Check the strawberry floating island-wide location chip right a-fucking way", not 'It's missing - let's go into the dense jungle with the blocked entrances - check the tag - ohshithesbehindusyoucannotbeseriousomg'.

And don't get me started on how, during a site-wide emergency evacuation, the brother's strawberry floating VIP wristbands allow them to over-ride the controls and drive through the strawberry floating DO NOT ENTER gate.

But then, after that twenty minutes of silly strawberry floating bullshit, it gets good again. The attack on Main Street was really fun and genuinely panicky, and the move into the final act is ace. The final fight is okay, mainly because I'm on the fence about smart dinosaurs. I don't find them as compelling as the hunter-elites in the first film. But if you can swallow smart dinosaurs then it's fun enough.

That strawberry floating look between the T-Rex and Raptor at the end, looking like McClane and Al at the end of Die Hard had me in stitches though.

Overall, I did really enjoy it, but you do have to swallow a lot of bullshit to stay on the ride.

Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: Jurassic World - The Park is Open - Out now
by Poser » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:56 am

Skarjo wrote:Quick review; uneven but enjoyable. The bits that worked, especially the first act, worked really well, and are up there with the best of JP1. However, the sillier bits are particularly silly, and much more noticeably so than in JP1. And there is some proper amazing stuff in there, but some proper head in hands nonsense too.


That, and Skippy's post, is good enough for me.

I think anything above 'utterly atrocious' and I was still going to enjoy it regardless. :shifty:

Image
User avatar
Floex
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Jurassic World - The Park is Open - Out now
by Floex » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:59 am

The kid was god awful in IM3, no surprises that his still bad in this then @HM

User avatar
HM
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Jurassic World - The Park is Open - Out now
by HM » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:08 am

Floex wrote:The kid was god awful in IM3, no surprises that his still bad in this then @HM


Maybe because he had RDJ to work with but I thought he was good for a child actor. Compared to how bad some kid actors can be.

Like I said though he was one of many awful ones in this.

Igor wrote:HM is the man you should all strive to be.
Skippy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Jurassic World - The Park is Open - Out now
by Skippy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:12 am

I think that kid's great, and he's great in this too. It's the older brother who's a bit gooseberry fool.

User avatar
Starjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Jurassic World - The Park is Open - Out now
by Starjo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:50 am

Also; character death spoiler;

Zara's death. :dread: :lol: :dread:

I don't know what producer she pissed off/slept with but strawberry floating hell, that was a particularly brutal death for a 12a movie. Getting eaten by a dinosaur THAT'S GETTING EATEN BY A BIGGER DINOSAUR UNDERWATER.


strawberry float me.

Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
HM
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Jurassic World - The Park is Open - Out now
by HM » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:35 am

Skarjo wrote:Also; character death spoiler;

Zara's death. :dread: :lol: :dread:

I don't know what producer she pissed off/slept with but strawberry floating hell, that was a particularly brutal death for a 12a movie. Getting eaten by a dinosaur THAT'S GETTING EATEN BY A BIGGER DINOSAUR UNDERWATER.


strawberry float me.


I burst out laughing at that death.Useless for her entire time on screen then gets that brutal death. :lol:

Igor wrote:HM is the man you should all strive to be.
User avatar
SandyCoin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: London

PostRe: Jurassic World - The Park is Open - Out now
by SandyCoin » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:48 am

Does anyone know how long big blockbusters tend to be on at the cinema? Any chance this will still be on late July? I get free cinema tickets here, but won't be around for about a month and refuse to pay £10+ to watch a film in a shitty cinema.

-----> My Illustration Blog | My Shop <------
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Jurassic World - The Park is Open - Out now
by Return_of_the_STAR » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:58 am

SandyCoin wrote:Does anyone know how long big blockbusters tend to be on at the cinema? Any chance this will still be on late July? I get free cinema tickets here, but won't be around for about a month and refuse to pay £10+ to watch a film in a shitty cinema.


You really can't tell, some summer blockbusters have a few massive weeks and then fizzle away and only show for about 5 weeks. Others can sit around all summer but still make less overall than some that are only out for a month. I would guess that a large multiplex would still be showing Jurassic world once or twice a day towards the end of July but no quarantee.

For example avengers 2 is so far the biggest blockbuster of the year it was released on 23rd April in the UK and is showing once a day at one of my local cinemas, however the other local cinema is not still showing it.

User avatar
SandyCoin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: London

PostRe: Jurassic World - The Park is Open - Out now
by SandyCoin » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:06 am

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
SandyCoin wrote:Does anyone know how long big blockbusters tend to be on at the cinema? Any chance this will still be on late July? I get free cinema tickets here, but won't be around for about a month and refuse to pay £10+ to watch a film in a shitty cinema.


You really can't tell, some summer blockbusters have a few massive weeks and then fizzle away and only show for about 5 weeks. Others can sit around all summer but still make less overall than some that are only out for a month. I would guess that a large multiplex would still be showing Jurassic world once or twice a day towards the end of July but no quarantee.

For example avengers 2 is so far the biggest blockbuster of the year it was released on 23rd April in the UK and is showing once a day at one of my local cinemas, however the other local cinema is not still showing it.


Ah ok. Hopefully it's still on here then. I'll see what the general consensus of the film is first I suppose.

-----> My Illustration Blog | My Shop <------
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Jurassic World - The Park is Open - Out now
by Return_of_the_STAR » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:08 am

SandyCoin wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
SandyCoin wrote:Does anyone know how long big blockbusters tend to be on at the cinema? Any chance this will still be on late July? I get free cinema tickets here, but won't be around for about a month and refuse to pay £10+ to watch a film in a shitty cinema.


You really can't tell, some summer blockbusters have a few massive weeks and then fizzle away and only show for about 5 weeks. Others can sit around all summer but still make less overall than some that are only out for a month. I would guess that a large multiplex would still be showing Jurassic world once or twice a day towards the end of July but no quarantee.

For example avengers 2 is so far the biggest blockbuster of the year it was released on 23rd April in the UK and is showing once a day at one of my local cinemas, however the other local cinema is not still showing it.


Ah ok. Hopefully it's still on here then. I'll see what the general consensus of the film is first I suppose.


The reviews and impressions seem to be good, it's just a case of whether everyone rushes out to see it in the first two weeks or if its a slow burner.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Jurassic World - The Park is Open - Out now
by Lagamorph » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:48 pm

Overall I enjoyed that, but god damn were both of those kids strawberry floating annoying.
The little one had the annoying 'genius' thing that turned out to be he was just a genius at random trivia, which really got on my tits. The older kid was the worst though. I just wanted to punch him in the face and scream "That's a strawberry floating dinosaur!" when he [is]seemed more interested in looking at a selfie his girlfriend had sent him, a girlfriend who he clearly wasn't even into since he spent most of his scenes checking out other girls,[/is] and which the film totally forgot about after a total of 2 scenes.

For some reason though, a woman in the cinema burst out laughing during the scene where [is]Owen and Claire are standing in the valley looking at the corpses of dead dinosaurs[/is]. I hope her boyfriend realised what a strawberry floating sociopath he was with.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Jurassic World - The Park is Open - Out now
by Alvin Flummux » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:34 am

Was a rough approximation of this in the film?


► Link

VeryNiceGuy
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Jurassic World - The Park is Open - Out now
by VeryNiceGuy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:05 am

Lagamorph wrote:For some reason though, a woman in the cinema burst out laughing during the scene where [is]Owen and Claire are standing in the valley looking at the corpses of dead dinosaurs[/is].


:lol:

User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Jurassic World - The Park is Open - Out now
by Godzilla » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:13 pm

I saw it last night and loved it. Far darker than I had expected in places too.

It was silly but still grounded and the last battle was all kinds of epic. Especially the build up.

A huge amount to love in the movie, particularly the reveal moments of the new dinosaurs abilities and intelligence.

Mad Max is still the best of the year for me. But Jurassic World presses all the nostalgia, geek and summer fun buttons.

Only criticism is the lack of a few fave dinosaurs.

8/10

Wish my image sig would work
JediDragon05
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: The Grcade asylum

PostRe: Jurassic World - The Park is Open - Out now
by JediDragon05 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:27 pm

Going tomorrow, raaaawwwwr :toot:

Come fight death with me
User avatar
Benzin
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Jurassic World - The Park is Open - Out now
by Benzin » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:32 pm

The ending :lol:

Still enjoyed it though...

User avatar
Luboluke
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Jurassic World - The Park is Open - Out now
by Luboluke » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:33 pm

Quite enjoyed it, better than I was expecting and a decent summer blockbuster all in. Obviously not a patch in the first film and I think the main problems are:

I honestly think they're too up front with Dino violence, obviously by nature anyone being killed by a dinosaur will meet a swift and brutal death, but we see too much of it on screen that I felt the audience became desensitised to it. Seeing humans getting eaten whole actually ruined the implied threat of getting caught by a dinosaur that the first film used so well, it almost became comical after a while (as Skarjo said about the PA woman's death). It was too much of a middle ground between showing the deaths on screen and keeping it clean enough for a 12A release or whatever it was, and it would have been better off just keeping the majority of human deaths off screen and in the imagination of the viewer, the I Rex was scariest when it was looming (like the gyrosphere bit) rather than when it was actually eating humans. That and the various plot contrivances and the ridiculous ending let it down.

User avatar
chalkitdown
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Cork

PostRe: Jurassic World - The Park is Open - Out now
by chalkitdown » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:19 am

Well I loved that. Some ridiculous moments but I can easily overlook them because of how entertaining it was overall.

JP > JW >>> TLW >>>>>>>>>>>>>> JP3.

User avatar
D_C
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Jurassic World - The Park is Open - Out now
by D_C » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:37 am

chalkitdown wrote:Well I loved that. Some ridiculous moments but I can easily overlook them because of how entertaining it was overall.

JP > JW >>> TLW >>>>>>>>>>>>>> JP3.


This man knows the score.

I really don't know why they added the whole divorce thing. It was shoehorned in for what, two short scenes and really didn't need to be there imo.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], massimo, Minty14, MSN [Bot], suzzopher, Tineash, Trelliz and 61 guests