Last album you listened to and your rating feat. The Spotify Bitch

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
dmin
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Last album you listened to and your rating feat. The Spotify Bitch
by dmin » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:24 pm

more heat than light wrote:God this album makes me sad. Maria's Little Elbows is the point where I usually lose it. :(

9/10

Sparklehorse :wub:
Mark Linkous :(

Image
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Last album you listened to and your rating feat. The Spotify Bitch
by Ironhide » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:32 pm

Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning - 10/10

Cracking solo album from an utter rock legend.

The guitar work (courtesy of the brilliant Alain Johannes) is also excellent.


Last edited by Ironhide on Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Last album you listened to and your rating feat. The Spotify Bitch
by Jenuall » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:34 pm

Cornell? He's decent. Not up there with Sam Smith though is he?

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Last album you listened to and your rating feat. The Spotify Bitch
by Ironhide » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:39 pm

Jenuall wrote:Cornell? He's decent. Not up there with Sam Smith though is he?


Can't tell if serious or not.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Last album you listened to and your rating feat. The Spotify Bitch
by Jenuall » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:46 pm

Ironhide wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Cornell? He's decent. Not up there with Sam Smith though is he?


Can't tell if serious or not.

It's a reference to this from the other day:
Jenuall wrote:The Best James Bond Songs Ranked

Wow. Genuinely don't think they could have got this more wrong if they tried!

24. ‘Die Another Day’ – Madonna
23. ‘For Your Eyes Only’ – Sheena Easton
22. ‘The Living Daylights’ – A-ha
21. ‘From Russia With Love’ John Barry / Matt Monro
20. ‘The Man With The Golden Gun’ – Lulu
19. ‘Thunderball’ – Tom Jones
18. ‘The World Is Not Enough’ – Garbage
17. ‘Moonraker’ – Shirley Bassey
16. ‘Diamonds Are Forever’ – Shirley Bassey
15. ‘All Time High’ – Tom Rice
14. ‘Goldfinger’ – Shirley Bassey
13. ‘You Only Live Twice’ – Nancy Sinatra
12. ‘A View To Kill’ – Duran Duran
11. ‘License to Kill’ – Gladys Knight
10. ‘We Have All The Time In The World’ – Louis Armstrong
9. ‘You Know My Name’ – Chris Cornell
8. ‘Another Way To Die’ – Jack White and Alicia Keys
7. ‘Golden Eye’ – Bono, The Edge, Tina Turner
6. ‘No Time to Die’- Billie Eilish
5. ‘Nobody Does It Better’ – Carly Simon
4. ‘Tomorrow Never Dies’ – Sheryl Crow
3. ’Writings On The Wall’ – Sam Smith
2. ’Live And Let Die’ – Paul McCartney, Linda McCartney
1. ‘Skyfall’

Cornell at 9! :fp:

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Last album you listened to and your rating feat. The Spotify Bitch
by Ironhide » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:54 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Ironhide wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Cornell? He's decent. Not up there with Sam Smith though is he?


Can't tell if serious or not.

It's a reference to this from the other day:
Jenuall wrote:The Best James Bond Songs Ranked

Wow. Genuinely don't think they could have got this more wrong if they tried!

24. ‘Die Another Day’ – Madonna
23. ‘For Your Eyes Only’ – Sheena Easton
22. ‘The Living Daylights’ – A-ha
21. ‘From Russia With Love’ John Barry / Matt Monro
20. ‘The Man With The Golden Gun’ – Lulu
19. ‘Thunderball’ – Tom Jones
18. ‘The World Is Not Enough’ – Garbage
17. ‘Moonraker’ – Shirley Bassey
16. ‘Diamonds Are Forever’ – Shirley Bassey
15. ‘All Time High’ – Tom Rice
14. ‘Goldfinger’ – Shirley Bassey
13. ‘You Only Live Twice’ – Nancy Sinatra
12. ‘A View To Kill’ – Duran Duran
11. ‘License to Kill’ – Gladys Knight
10. ‘We Have All The Time In The World’ – Louis Armstrong
9. ‘You Know My Name’ – Chris Cornell
8. ‘Another Way To Die’ – Jack White and Alicia Keys
7. ‘Golden Eye’ – Bono, The Edge, Tina Turner
6. ‘No Time to Die’- Billie Eilish
5. ‘Nobody Does It Better’ – Carly Simon
4. ‘Tomorrow Never Dies’ – Sheryl Crow
3. ’Writings On The Wall’ – Sam Smith
2. ’Live And Let Die’ – Paul McCartney, Linda McCartney
1. ‘Skyfall’

Cornell at 9! :fp:


I'm far more troubled that both Billiie Eyelash and Sheryl Crow are rated higher than Chrris Cornell.

And as much as I like Jack White, 'Anoher way to die' is a terrible song that doesn't deserve to be in the top 20, let alone top 10.

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last album you listened to and your rating feat. The Spotify Bitch
by Victor Mildew » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:02 pm

CORNELL!

Image

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Last album you listened to and your rating feat. The Spotify Bitch
by Mafro » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:42 pm

Very nice lo-fi chill album


HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
KingK
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last album you listened to and your rating feat. The Spotify Bitch
by KingK » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:41 pm

I have a free Spotify account as I refuse to pay for listening to music I already own (in 95% of cases at least).

I’m old school and grew up buying music in the 80s and 90s. I’d spend most of my lunchtimes browsing the vinyl, cassette, and eventually CD, racks in Virgin Megastore and HMV in Birmingham. Back then, if you wanted to listen to something you had to buy it, or tape it from a friend if they owned it (or rip a CD in the 90s). Once iTunes came along, I started buying odd songs off there rather than whole albums and my CD album buying decreased. But it’s never stopped and I still buy the odd CD as well as loads of stuff on iTunes.

All of my music, including old vinyl and cassettes was digitised years ago onto a computer and backed up onto a NAS. All new stuff is also digitised if needed and all is saved onto the NAS. I stream a lot of music from my NAS through several Sonos speakers we have dotted around. I still have an old iPod Touch and iPod Classic and those were my main way of listening to music pre Covid lockdowns through my car and at work. I still use them during lockdown but nowhere near as much as before.

Since early last year I’ve taken up cycling and wanted a way to listen to music whilst riding. I signed up for the free Amazon Music, Apple Music and Spotify trials to see how they were. Spotify’s ability to build a playlist quickly was a big thing for me over the other 2 as I have hundreds of songs I like to rotate through. Yes, their free service is annoying with the constant repetitive adverts but I can get past that to avoid paying the £9.99 per month for songs I largely already own.

Little new music interests me these days but if it does I buy the track or whole album. Sure, that may cost more than a monthly Spotify, Amazon or Apple Music sub, but I own it this way. I read that some albums I have aren’t available on streaming sites any more and I’d hate to not be able to listen to what I want when I want just cos of some licensing issue or whatever.

On topic, I’ve bought a couple of albums recently - the latest Springsteen, AC/DC and Marilyn Manson albums. Very different in taste and sound but all are good. Also been listening to the entire AC/DC, Simple Minds and Metallica back catalogue (all off my NAS) and currently listening to Tool’s Aenima album having listened to Undertow before that. 10,000 Days, Lateralus and Fear Inoculum are next up.

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Last album you listened to and your rating feat. The Spotify Bitch
by Ironhide » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:46 pm

KingK wrote:On topic, I’ve bought a couple of albums recently - the latest Springsteen, AC/DC and Marilyn Manson albums. Very different in taste and sound but all are good. Also been listening to the entire AC/DC, Simple Minds and Metallica back catalogue (all off my NAS) and currently listening to Tool’s Aenima album having listened to Undertow before that. 10,000 Days, Lateralus and Fear Inoculum are next up.


You're in for a treat if you haven't heard Lateralus and 10,000 Days yet, Lateralus especially blew me away when I first heard it.

The latest Marilyn Manson album is fairly decent imo, not as good as the previous one but still an interesting evolution of his music.

Image
User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last album you listened to and your rating feat. The Spotify Bitch
by <]:^D » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:47 pm

Mafro wrote:Very nice lo-fi chill album



lovely stuff.
Maf are you familiar with Tour de Manege?

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Last album you listened to and your rating feat. The Spotify Bitch
by Mafro » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:56 pm

<]:^D wrote:
Mafro wrote:Very nice lo-fi chill album



lovely stuff.
Maf are you familiar with Tour de Manege?

No but I'll check them out now.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
KingK
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last album you listened to and your rating feat. The Spotify Bitch
by KingK » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:40 pm

Ironhide wrote:
KingK wrote:On topic, I’ve bought a couple of albums recently - the latest Springsteen, AC/DC and Marilyn Manson albums. Very different in taste and sound but all are good. Also been listening to the entire AC/DC, Simple Minds and Metallica back catalogue (all off my NAS) and currently listening to Tool’s Aenima album having listened to Undertow before that. 10,000 Days, Lateralus and Fear Inoculum are next up.


You're in for a treat if you haven't heard Lateralus and 10,000 Days yet, Lateralus especially blew me away when I first heard it.

The latest Marilyn Manson album is fairly decent imo, not as good as the previous one but still an interesting evolution of his music.

I’ve listed to them both previously as I’ve owned since they came out but as they weren’t a patch on Aenima (at first or second listen anyway), I’ve never really taken to them. Off the top of my head I couldn’t name a single song off either album but I’m sure I’ll recognise the odd one as I re-listen

Have you listened to Maynard’s softer stuff with A Perfect Circle? I’ve got 3 of their albums but really enjoy their Mer De Noms album. Some terrific tracks on there - Judith, Rose particularly but the whole album is a regular listen

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Last album you listened to and your rating feat. The Spotify Bitch
by Squinty » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:26 pm

I'm like KingK. I still value buying CD's and digital music. Tried the streaming services and I realised that it was making music feel very disposable to me, and I didn't like the feeling.

I feel like I'm more inclined to give something time if I've spent money on it, if that makes sense.

User avatar
Zilnad
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: Last album you listened to and your rating feat. The Spotify Bitch
by Zilnad » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:05 pm

Saw this band support for Lacuna Coil in 2019 and they put on a good show. Only just giving them a proper listen now but I really like it.


User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Last album you listened to and your rating feat. The Spotify Bitch
by Jenuall » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:56 pm

Zilnad wrote:Saw this band support for Lacuna Coil in 2019 and they put on a good show. Only just giving them a proper listen now but I really like it.


Is "folk metal" a big thing? (if indeed that's what this would be classed as!)

This feels like it shouldn't work and yet it's actually a surprisingly successful blend!

User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Last album you listened to and your rating feat. The Spotify Bitch
by Tomous » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:01 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Zilnad wrote:Saw this band support for Lacuna Coil in 2019 and they put on a good show. Only just giving them a proper listen now but I really like it.


Is "folk metal" a big thing? (if indeed that's what this would be classed as!)

This feels like it shouldn't work and yet it's actually a surprisingly successful blend!



Of course it is a big thing.

Muse are one of the stalwarts of the genre.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Last album you listened to and your rating feat. The Spotify Bitch
by Jenuall » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:04 pm

Tomous wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
Zilnad wrote:Saw this band support for Lacuna Coil in 2019 and they put on a good show. Only just giving them a proper listen now but I really like it.


Is "folk metal" a big thing? (if indeed that's what this would be classed as!)

This feels like it shouldn't work and yet it's actually a surprisingly successful blend!



Of course it is a big thing.

Muse are one of the stalwarts of the genre.

I think they're more of a Folk-Punk-Fusion personally ;)

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last album you listened to and your rating feat. The Spotify Bitch
by Victor Mildew » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:14 pm

I'm more of a glam-folk kind of guy
Image

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Last album you listened to and your rating feat. The Spotify Bitch
by Jenuall » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:16 pm

Victor Mildew wrote:I'm more of a glam-folk kind of guy
Image

Pfft, what is this? Some kind of Flighty Zeus tribute act?!


Return to “Stuff”