Last film you watched and your rating

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Wedgie
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Wedgie » Wed May 15, 2019 7:33 pm

Glass: 7/10

An enjoyable psychological thriller, not the kind of stuff you get with “superhero” movies. Although I would like to slap that daft bint and tell her that The Horde and Mr Glass isn’t superheroes after all, they’re super villains.

But never mind. Have to say that James McAvoy did the role(s?) brilliantly as usual, and Samuel L Jackson’s return to the role is like him slipping on a glove and it still fits.

I loved it. It isn’t perfect but I enjoyed it very much from the start to finish.

Image

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.


Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Godzilla » Sat May 18, 2019 10:35 am

The Thing - 11/10

Still a perfect film, seen it countless times and it always stands up to repeat viewings. Impossible to improve upon in any way. It's currently on Netflix.

Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Ironhide » Sat May 18, 2019 4:32 pm

The Equalizer = 7/10

Was feeling a bit crap and needed something to watch which didn't require much attention, this fitted the bill quite nicely.

Denzel Washington kicking ass and being OCD in equal measure, nuff said.

Image
User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Godzilla » Sat May 18, 2019 9:06 pm

John Wick 3 - 10 / 10

Bloody awesome film. Funny, moving and so well paced. The opening few fights are utterly amazing and the dogs, the dogs are brilliant. It builds to a strong ending and one hell of a set up for part 4. Can't wait for it on 4k to watch again... And again.

The cast are all wonderful including the animals and the fight scenes are up the with The Raid 2.

Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
Yubel
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Nowhere
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Yubel » Sun May 19, 2019 12:32 am

Spiderman: Into the Spider-verse

Wildly inventive and spectacular animation on display here - the final act in particular was just stunning. Of course it helps that the story is also really good and all the characters are extremely likeable, but damn it I wish I'd seen this in theatres.

10/10

JediDragon05
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: The Grcade asylum

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by JediDragon05 » Sun May 19, 2019 8:23 pm

John Wick 3

God damn. God strawberry floating damn that was sublime.

Don’t mess with the doggies mother strawberry floaters :capnscotty: :lol:

Come fight death with me
User avatar
SandyCoin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: London

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by SandyCoin » Mon May 20, 2019 3:15 pm

Saw a bunch of films recently, mostly on the plane.

Bohemian Rhapsody- 7/10. My gf saw it at the cinema and loved it so has been pestering me to see it since. Enjoyable film, with a great main performance. I don't know much about Queen though so I have no idea how accurate it all is.

Antman 2- 6/10. I thought the first was great fun, and this was basically more of the same. Nothing really new, but it went by quickly and had some laughs.

Aquaman- 8/10. I surprisingly really liked this. I loved the madness of it all. People riding sharks, giant drum playing octopus' etc :lol: Also Jason Momoa was very good in it. I've not seen him as anything other than Khal Drogo, so it was actually quite odd seeing him with his American accent. Great fun. Only thing I didn't like was the weird CGI of his dad at the start. Really odd looking.

Ideal Home- 5/10. I had no idea what this was, but it had Paul Rudd and Steve Coogan in it so I gave it a try. It was pretty average, with Coogan being a kind of camp Alan Partridge throughout. I didn't really see the point of it to be honest.

Wonder Woman- 5/10. No idea why everyone raved about this. I fell asleep a bunch of times, and hated the constant slow mo gooseberry fool. I thought that died out after 300. I thought the effects were pretty awful throughout. There was some good scenes and I enjoyed the first half, but then it just began to drag.

-----> My Illustration Blog | My Shop <------
User avatar
Zartan
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Zartan » Mon May 20, 2019 4:23 pm

Godzilla wrote:John Wick 3 - 10 / 10

Bloody awesome film. Funny, moving and so well paced. The opening few fights are utterly amazing and the dogs, the dogs are brilliant. It builds to a strong ending and one hell of a set up for part 4. Can't wait for it on 4k to watch again... And again.

The cast are all wonderful including the animals and the fight scenes are up the with The Raid 2.


Not sure about Jerome Flynn's accent mind. That was pretty woeful casting

User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Godzilla » Mon May 20, 2019 5:27 pm

I thought it was him but wasn't sure. He was bollocks

Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Jenuall » Tue May 21, 2019 4:14 pm

Suicide Squad - 3/10

strawberry floating hell what did I just watch? Managed to avoid this until now, and now I really wish it had stayed that way.

Now admittedly I don't watch a huge number of movies these days so my viewpoint may be a little skewed but this was easily one of the most disjointed and awkward films I have seen in years. It seems to have no idea how to tell a compelling or consistent story, the motives and purpose for both the villains and heroes (if there are any) are a mess, characters appear and disappear with little reason or impact on either the story or audience, and the "big bad" is basically ignored or forgotten about for the vast majority of the movie for no strawberry floating reason. They seem to be going for quirkiness or whatever with a lot of the characters but miss massively and this is not helped by the fact that the vast majority of the cast hand in a pretty terrible performance.

And what the hell was going on with the soundtrack?! :lol: In the first 5 minutes it felt like there were 3 or 4 random tracks played over scenes with no coherence or value being added by the relationship between what we were hearing and what we were seeing!

And despite being stirred in amongst a whole host of bad elements Jared Leto still manages to find a way to stand out as the worst of them all!

Basically it was horrible.

ImageImage
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Preezy » Tue May 21, 2019 4:50 pm

Dat Dr. Quinzel tho :datass:

User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Return_of_the_STAR » Tue May 21, 2019 5:09 pm

The Meg - 6/10. Lots of Chinese people died with honour as was expected from a Chinese funded blockbuster.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Skarjo » Wed May 22, 2019 1:33 am

Jenuall wrote:Suicide Squad - 3/10

strawberry floating hell what did I just watch? Managed to avoid this until now, and now I really wish it had stayed that way.

Now admittedly I don't watch a huge number of movies these days so my viewpoint may be a little skewed but this was easily one of the most disjointed and awkward films I have seen in years. It seems to have no idea how to tell a compelling or consistent story, the motives and purpose for both the villains and heroes (if there are any) are a mess, characters appear and disappear with little reason or impact on either the story or audience, and the "big bad" is basically ignored or forgotten about for the vast majority of the movie for no strawberry floating reason. They seem to be going for quirkiness or whatever with a lot of the characters but miss massively and this is not helped by the fact that the vast majority of the cast hand in a pretty terrible performance.

And what the hell was going on with the soundtrack?! :lol: In the first 5 minutes it felt like there were 3 or 4 random tracks played over scenes with no coherence or value being added by the relationship between what we were hearing and what we were seeing!

And despite being stirred in amongst a whole host of bad elements Jared Leto still manages to find a way to stand out as the worst of them all!

Basically it was horrible.


There's a YouTube channel called Folding Ideas that does a really interesting breakdown of the editing in Suicide Squad and exactly why it's so strawberry floating wank.

Worth a watch;


Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Jenuall » Wed May 22, 2019 10:45 am

Skarjo wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Suicide Squad - 3/10

strawberry floating hell what did I just watch? Managed to avoid this until now, and now I really wish it had stayed that way.

Now admittedly I don't watch a huge number of movies these days so my viewpoint may be a little skewed but this was easily one of the most disjointed and awkward films I have seen in years. It seems to have no idea how to tell a compelling or consistent story, the motives and purpose for both the villains and heroes (if there are any) are a mess, characters appear and disappear with little reason or impact on either the story or audience, and the "big bad" is basically ignored or forgotten about for the vast majority of the movie for no strawberry floating reason. They seem to be going for quirkiness or whatever with a lot of the characters but miss massively and this is not helped by the fact that the vast majority of the cast hand in a pretty terrible performance.

And what the hell was going on with the soundtrack?! :lol: In the first 5 minutes it felt like there were 3 or 4 random tracks played over scenes with no coherence or value being added by the relationship between what we were hearing and what we were seeing!

And despite being stirred in amongst a whole host of bad elements Jared Leto still manages to find a way to stand out as the worst of them all!

Basically it was horrible.


There's a YouTube channel called Folding Ideas that does a really interesting breakdown of the editing in Suicide Squad and exactly why it's so strawberry floating wank.

Worth a watch;


Thanks for linking that video, a really interesting breakdown and pretty much nailed what was wrong with the structure and pacing of the movie!

ImageImage
User avatar
SMPL
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by SMPL » Thu May 23, 2019 12:14 am

The Sisters Brothers - 6.5
Entertaining but ultimately forgettable Western/pursuit story.

The Green Book - 8.5
Top performances from both leads and a genuinely funny script. Good film, if a bit predictable.

User avatar
TigaSefi
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by TigaSefi » Thu May 23, 2019 6:26 am

John wick 3 should be the last one. Entertaining but they clearly running out of ideas and also the fight sequences were not up to the usual standard. You could see Keanu waiting for the next part of choreography to kick in. I did like Halle Berry kicking more ass than she ever did in all of the x-men movies combined! 7/10.

Image
1 > 2 > 3 >>>>>>> 4 >>>>> 5
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Jenuall » Thu May 23, 2019 3:19 pm

Shaun of the Dead - 9/10
A near perfect movie that never fails to entertain me despite having watched it countless times over the years. :toot:

Makes me sad that they didn't manage to maintain this level for the full Cornetto Trilogy (Fuzz is still great but Worlds End is such a let down)

ImageImage
User avatar
Wedgie
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Wedgie » Fri May 24, 2019 1:37 pm

Shazam! 7.5/10

One of the funniest films I've seen. I knocked off half a point as the ending isn't that great.

Hereditary: 7/10
Most of the time, I was scratching my head at the plot. It didn't get clear until the final 40 minutes, and it was a decent enough horror film. Probably overrated as a lot of people says it's one of the best horror films of last year.

Image

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.


Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
User avatar
floydfreak
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by floydfreak » Fri May 24, 2019 3:22 pm

Theif - 8/10 Michael Mann's best film great soundtrack as well. Heat is good but i find this a better film and paced


User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Skarjo » Sat May 25, 2019 3:30 pm

Caught BrightBurn earlier today.

Yea, it was fun. Massive missed opportunity with the premise though. They decided to make a straight horror film in the Conjuring vein of 'quiet quiet quiet quiet quiet quiet LOUD NOISES' scary, which is fine and also makes it perfectly competent in that company, but it definitely feels like it's lacking something from the larger narrative. It is a really good straight horror flick, but it can't break away from the trappings of the genre it's trying to sUbVerT eXPeCtaTIonS of. Plus, the reasons for him going Badman are basically nonexistent. He hits puberty and his spaceship flips his 'Be Evil' switch and that's that. There's no stuff about him struggling with his powers or trying to reconcile his childlike desire to be good with his newfound ability to punish those around him, just 'Go be evil now'. Which, I mean, fine, if that's what you're going for, but the rest of the plot isn't interesting enough to really carry such a black and white villain.

The parents try their best, and Elizabeth Banks and Roy from the Office are honestly the best thing here and their chemistry and on screen presence is surprisingly strong, but in this post Chronicle, post Thanos, post Killmonger, post Joker world of villains, a kid who is 'what if Superman was bad' and then gets absolutely no more explorative nor contemplative than that feels a bit empty. There's also a surprising amount of humour in it, some obviously intended, but a lot that legit makes you question whether that was meant to be funny or just so ham fistedly executed that it felt like a parody. There is legit a scene that is straight up rip off of this;

Image


Which is really funny until the blood soaked destroyed corpse of the unfortunate police officer is dropped front of frame and bleeds out. Me and the guy next to me literally looked at each other like ' :slol: was that meant to be funny?'

That said, it wasn't bad, I'm just thinking of all the ways the premise could have been turned into something great. I know how Superman's origin story is being raised by Ma and Pa Kent and their midwest cornfield American Dream that makes Clark into someone who wants to fight for Truth, Justice and the American Way (by the way, the Truth, Justice and the American Way' thing was featured in the only major Superman easter egg that I spotted, but I reckon a better comic fan would spot more), and I thought that maybe this would be dysfunctional parents, or born into more realistic rust belt poverty and circumstances making him go dark. Maybe that's too much to ask, but he's basically born to Ma and Pa Kent 2.0 but just turns out to be a dick when he hits puberty which rang a little hollow.

The effects were great though, and the violence was B-R-U-T-A-L.


Also, holy strawberry float, I know it's a whole 'thing' now, but the attempt to hint at a whole expanded universe with a whole Dark Justice League in the outro was one of the best moments of unintentional (?) comedy in the movie.

So yea, fine, but there's a much better movie to be made from that premise than a workmanlike Conjuring sequel.

Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: D_C, Google [Bot], Rightey, Skarjo, Snowcannon and 42 guests