Last film you watched and your rating

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Cuttooth » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:51 pm

Jenu-All I Want For Christmas wrote:
Tiny Timous wrote:
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas wrote:Pixar movies are almost universally excellent (if only they'd never indulged Lasseter with the Cars franchise!) and it's bizarre to suggest that people liking them is just bowing down to some kind of societal pressure to conform!

They are fundamentally "family" films though and I do think those with less of a link to the themes of family and the particular elements of the human experience related to growing up, family connections, losing that feeling of unity with loved ones etc. will probably see the films resonate with them less. (although it feels odd saying that as the themes are pretty much universal to everyone)




I always thought they kept making Cars films because they make Disney so much money....

Oh absolutely they are a cash cow, but it was Lasseters baby to start with and I think nobody had the clout to stand up and say "Hey John, maybe this Cars thing is a bit gooseberry fool, y'know as a movie?"

To be fair to Disney, society as a whole is still waiting for someone brave enough to stand up and make it known that they don't think Cars is a good movie.

One day maybe, but not right now.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Jenuall » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:02 pm

Tidings of Cuttooth and Joy wrote:
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas wrote:
Tiny Timous wrote:
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas wrote:Pixar movies are almost universally excellent (if only they'd never indulged Lasseter with the Cars franchise!) and it's bizarre to suggest that people liking them is just bowing down to some kind of societal pressure to conform!

They are fundamentally "family" films though and I do think those with less of a link to the themes of family and the particular elements of the human experience related to growing up, family connections, losing that feeling of unity with loved ones etc. will probably see the films resonate with them less. (although it feels odd saying that as the themes are pretty much universal to everyone)




I always thought they kept making Cars films because they make Disney so much money....

Oh absolutely they are a cash cow, but it was Lasseters baby to start with and I think nobody had the clout to stand up and say "Hey John, maybe this Cars thing is a bit gooseberry fool, y'know as a movie?"

To be fair to Disney, society as a whole is still waiting for someone brave enough to stand up and make it known that they don't think Cars is a good movie.

One day maybe, but not right now.

There's just too much pressure to conform!

Image
User avatar
Edd
Member
Joined in 2015
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Edd » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:13 pm

They made Cars 2 and 3 to prove to everyone that the first one wasn't really as bad as we thought it was.

Image
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Tomous » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:18 pm

Edd wrote:They made Cars 2 and 3 to prove to everyone that the first one wasn't really as bad as we thought it was.



Job well done then.

Image
User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Pedz » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:22 pm

Harry Ellis wrote:I don't hate all animated films. There are some that are, whisper it, not bad, some even actually good but those are very few and far between.

Most people only jizz over Disney/Pixar because it's what society at large dictates. People are too afraid to rock the boat by having a different opinion and being seen as an outcast; they insist they like these films because they think they are supposed to.

Same with pop music. People like most the regurgitated rubbish in the charts because it's popular and they want to seem like they fit in. Ed Sheeran's a classic case; absolutely bog standard musician but he got popular and all the mindless drones latched onto him because it was the thing to be seen doing.


I find it the other way around with animated stuff, most adults I know can't stand animated stuff however good because 'cartoons are for kids'. It's pretty laughable. Animated or not if something is enjoyable le it's enjoyable. Awful take Drummy.

Image
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Drumstick » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:36 pm

Huh? I never said cartoons are for kids. I still watch the Pokémon anime :lol:

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Pedz » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:38 pm

I didn't say you did. I said most adults I know say that.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Moggy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:39 pm

Harry Ellis wrote:Huh? I never said cartoons are for kids. I still watch the Pokémon anime :lol:


Yes but you only watch that because society has pressured you into thinking it's good.

Image
User avatar
Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Vermilion » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:42 pm

Harry Ellis wrote:I still watch the Pokémon anime :lol:



User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Drumstick » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:44 pm

Pedz wrote:I didn't say you did. I said most adults I know say that.

OK.

I don't dislike most animated films because they're animated, btw, I dislike them because I think they aren't very good. I'm pretty ambivalent to the animation, it's just the common denominator because most Disney/Pixar flicks are animated.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Drumstick » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:46 pm

Moggy wrote:
Harry Ellis wrote:Huh? I never said cartoons are for kids. I still watch the Pokémon anime :lol:

Yes but you only watch that because society has pressured you into thinking it's good.

This would actually be the reverse, again, because whereas most people love the many, many additional generations, I only have fondness for the original 150.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
BOR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by BOR » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:25 pm

Parasite

Wow! It was a brilliant film. I'd recommend anybody to watch it if you haven't seen it yet.

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Tomous » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:37 pm

BORbles wrote:Parasite

Wow! It was a brilliant film. I'd recommend anybody to watch it if you haven't seen it yet.



Yeah, it is seriously one of the best films I've ever seen.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Jenuall » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:34 am

Nah, it's actually pretty average but everyone is caving into the pressure to like it

Image
User avatar
Pancake
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Pancake » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:41 am

Harry Ellis wrote:I don't hate all animated films. There are some that are, whisper it, not bad, some even actually good but those are very few and far between.


This is true of all films though, right? Why would you focus on animated films unless you have some sort of prejudice against them? I'm not convinced you're being entirely honest with yourself when you say you "don't dislike most animated films because they're animated".

It's ok not to like animation or Pixar films, of course, but I think it comes across as really quite pretentious to claim that other people only like them because "society told them to".

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Drumstick » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:42 am

Waitrose Richly Fruited Christmas Cake wrote:
Harry Ellis wrote:I don't hate all animated films. There are some that are, whisper it, not bad, some even actually good but those are very few and far between.

This is true of all films though, right? Why would you focus on animated films unless you have some sort of prejudice against them?

We're focused on them because somebody else it, after I posted that I thought that Soul, based on the 30 minutes I watched, wasn't very good.

What if we replaced animated with Will Smith? Because I feel the same way about the films I've seen starring him. I don't like most of them, he happens to be the common denominator. Am I then prejudiced against him?

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
more heat than light
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: mhtl
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by more heat than light » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:34 am

Jenu-All I Want For Christmas wrote:Nah, it's actually pretty average but everyone is caving into the pressure to like it


:lol:

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Moggy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:03 am

Harry Ellis wrote:What if we replaced animated with Will Smith? Because I feel the same way about the films I've seen starring him. I don't like most of them, he happens to be the common denominator. Am I then prejudiced against him?


Image

Image
User avatar
Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Vermilion » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:32 am

Harry Ellis wrote:What if we replaced animated with Will Smith? Because I feel the same way about the films I've seen starring him. I don't like most of them, he happens to be the common denominator.


Image

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Corazon de Leon » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:43 am

Well...yeah? Knowing that you don’t like Will Smith as an actor, you’re probably going into his films expecting not to like them at this point.

Image

Return to “Stuff”