Last film you watched and your rating

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Preezy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:05 pm

Well I really enjoyed it, haven't seen anything like it in recent memory. Closest I could compare it to would be Under the Skin, which also had a dreamlike quality to it, and was also quite bizarre.

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Tafdolphin » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:01 pm

Cuttooth wrote:Y'all need to read the book, it's so good and you'll be pissed off that Garland wrote the script based on a "memory" of it.


The books are good, but the film is so different comparisons are meaningless really (also found the last book a bit of a struggle to be honest)

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Corazon de Leon » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:49 pm

Lethal Weapon 4(halfway through it at the moment) - watchable in places, but utterly cringeworthy and borderline racist in others.

Image Image
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Oblomov Boblomov » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:15 am

I thought Annihilation was really good.

Just seen the new Lion King. Wow. What a disappointment. After the surprisingly good new Aladdin, this just felt dead inside. It really left me feeling hollow.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Moggy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:49 am

Corazon de Leon wrote:Lethal Weapon 4(halfway through it at the moment) - watchable in places, but utterly cringeworthy and borderline racist in others.


Mel Gibson would never star in a racist movie.

User avatar
Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: London
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Venom » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:20 pm

After missing my window to see it on the opening weekend I finally saw Avengers Endgame. I've liked most of the MCU movies but not loved them as I never overly warmed to the characters. (Although Thor 1, Black Panther, Spider-Man were all good and unique in their own way.) But I have to say this was class, the culmination of multiple stories across multiple movies planned out properly and delivering many moments that serve the plot and the audience. For such a long film I enjoyed it.

User avatar
KingK
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by KingK » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:33 pm

Just watched Hobbs & Shaw at the cinema with the wife. Have to say we enjoyed it, albeit for different reasons. I liked the typical action, cars, hot women and guns whilst she loved watching Dwayne, Jason and Idris.

Overall, it’s a brain relaxing, high octane, noisy 8/10

Image
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Skarjo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:25 am

I didn't like Annihilation. As soon as someone uttered that line about 'The DNA refracting like a kaleidoscope' (or whatever) I knew this wasn't sci-fi, it was just a guff script and someone had thrown a GCSE textbook into a blender nearby. Once it had thrown any semblance of coherent science out the window, to then spend the rest of the movie really earnestly pontificating on the implications of said nonsense made the film a drudge.

Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Squinty » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:58 am

I watched Annihilation the other night. It wasn't terrible. But it's far from great. There were some good performances in it at least.

User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Lotus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:36 am

Annihilation - 7/10

Watched this last night - it'd been on my list for a while, but all the chat on here about it had me intrigued.

Thought it was decent – lots of good, interesting ideas, but perhaps not fully realised or explored in the best manner.
It’s definitely one of those films when you have to suspend your disbelief and just go with it, but I was willing to do that and just see where it went.

Enjoyed it on the whole.

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Peter Crisp » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:53 am

I quite liked it.
Sure, it wasn't the best Sci-Fi ever but it kept me interested and not everything has to be absolutely amazing.
A solid 6.5/10 so fine.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Godzilla » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:45 pm

Spider-Man far from home - 8/10.

Second viewing.

Really well made with probably the best comic book sequences outside of Infinity War.

Sightseers - 10/10

Seen it multiple times but it's still wonderful. Dark British comedy from the director of Kill List.

Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Frank » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:09 am

Finally got around to watching that Crimes of Grindlewald film last night. Don't think it helped that I couldn't remember anything about the first film, but I really hate what they're doing with it. I'm not sure we need another "oh we need to stop this big terrible wizard" arc considering that's exactly what happened in Harry Potter, and as Harry Potter happened and Grindlewald is mentioned maybe once, you kind of know that nothing actually happens with it.

After seeing the Cursed Child I was a bit bored of another "oh here's a mystery child who is a blood relative of one of the main players but WHICH ONE?" angle, too. (and again, he's apparently a relation that's NEVER BEEN MENTIONED BEFORE)

Because they've ordered another three films or whatever you know that nothing bad is going to happen to any of the main characters (and because there's no real character development whatsoever, anything bad that does eventually happen is just "who were they meant to be again? oh well")

I appreciated how it was called "the crimes of grindlewald" but they never explain what crimes he committed in the first place to get himself imprisoned, and he doesn't actually do that much throughout the film (and christ, those wizard police keeping him under lock and key were incompetent. The opening is just hot nonsense). Will be interesting to see how they manage to paint a man whose main argument for winning people to his side is "join me and we can stop the holocaust and world war 2" as someone who has to be stopped at all costs.

I liked how they visited familar places (the only bit of music I can remember from the whole film is *that* one), but the writing is just too convoluted and too exposition-filled and too similar to what she's done before to make it a franchise worth carrying on with. If they'd done a film or two of Newt exploring and finding and solving various beast-related emergencies (and then showing how the wizards covered it up without falling back on some deus ex machina "forget everything lol" gas) it would be much better purely because it was trying something new (and they could have still gone to Hogwarts and had some gay Dumbledore character development, because it's hardly like Hogwarts hasn't had it's fair share of weird beasties).

Barely worth watching, in all honesty.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Moggy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:49 am

I agree Frank. It was an ok film which suffered as it just felt so pointless.

User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Vermilion » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:55 am

I enjoyed it more than the first one.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Tafdolphin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:08 am

Django Unchained 9/10

Undoubtedly one of Tarantino's best, there's nary a wasted moment unlike a lot of his post Bill rambles. It's still a long one, but it never really feels like it.

Inglorious Basterds 6/10

Many wasted moments, like a lot of his post Bill rambles. Such a shame as there's an excellent film here but the director's indulgence gets in the way. The infamous bar scene could be excised completely and you wouldn't miss it (seriously, just cut from the Hicox briefing scene to the vet surgery scene and you'd never notice) and the whole thing just pootles along with only a few genuinely affecting moments. The opening scene is still one of the best Tarantino's ever made though, and the ending is still great.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Moggy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:17 am

Tafdolphin wrote: The infamous bar scene could be excised completely and you wouldn't miss it (seriously, just cut from the Hicox briefing scene to the vet surgery scene and you'd never notice)


You could say that about a lot of famous Tarantino scenes though. Mr Pink talking about tips and Madonna in Reservoir Dogs? Jules and Vincent discussing European hamburgers in Pulp Fiction? Bill talking about Superman in Kill Bill 2? Most of DiCaprio’s ranting and raving about skulls in Django?

Tarantino is indulgent but a lot of the time that indulgence is what makes Tarantino Tarantino.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Tafdolphin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:25 am

Moggy wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote: The infamous bar scene could be excised completely and you wouldn't miss it (seriously, just cut from the Hicox briefing scene to the vet surgery scene and you'd never notice)


You could say that about a lot of famous Tarantino scenes though. Mr Pink talking about tips and Madonna in Reservoir Dogs? Jules and Vincent discussing European hamburgers in Pulp Fiction? Bill talking about Superman in Kill Bill 2? Most of DiCaprio’s ranting and raving about skulls in Django?

Tarantino is indulgent but a lot of the time that indulgence is what makes Tarantino Tarantino.


Perhaps. But those scenes added a certain something to each film. The diner scene is a perfect introduction to each character, without in fact being a traditional introduction. Same with the hamburger convo, we know much more about Jules and Vincent after the fact (both are also much shorter than the bar scene). Bill and Superman is one of the few moments we actually spend with the guy the film is named for. The skull rant shows us Candie, aka the face of slavery, unmasked without his thin veneer of civilization for the first time.

The bar scene does none of this. The only character that makes it out, Von Hammersmark, is barely a cameo after the scene is over. Everyone else's story ends there, and even Fassbender can't make Hicox anything more than a plot device.

The reason those other scenes work is that the writing makes you forget how long and rambling they are as you're carried along with the conversation. That doesn't happen with the bar scene.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Drumstick » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:26 am

I'd love to know what you made of The Hateful Eight.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Moggy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:27 am

Tafdolphin wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote: The infamous bar scene could be excised completely and you wouldn't miss it (seriously, just cut from the Hicox briefing scene to the vet surgery scene and you'd never notice)


You could say that about a lot of famous Tarantino scenes though. Mr Pink talking about tips and Madonna in Reservoir Dogs? Jules and Vincent discussing European hamburgers in Pulp Fiction? Bill talking about Superman in Kill Bill 2? Most of DiCaprio’s ranting and raving about skulls in Django?

Tarantino is indulgent but a lot of the time that indulgence is what makes Tarantino Tarantino.


Perhaps. But those scenes added a certain something to each film. The diner scene is a perfect introduction to each character, without in fact being a traditional introduction. Same with the hamburger convo, we know much more about Jules and Vincent after the fact (both are also much shorter than the bar scene). Bill and Superman is one of the few moments we actually spend with the guy the film is named for. The skull rant shows us Candie, aka the face of slavery, unmasked without his thin veneer of civilization for the first time.

The bar scene does none of this. The only character that makes it out, Von Hammersmark, is barely a cameo after the scene is over. Everyone else's story ends there, and even Fassbender can't make Hicox anything more than a plot device.

The reason those other scenes work is that the writing makes you forget how long and rambling they are as you're carried along with the conversation. That doesn't happen with the bar scene.


The bar scene teaches you how Germans order 3 drinks with their fingers though.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, El Contador, massimo, That's not a growth and 60 guests