Last TV series you watched and your rating.

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Tafdolphin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:58 am

Jenuall wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed watching S1 of Twin Peaks about a year ago but have not mustered the courage to get through S2 as of yet - I know it's going to be a disappointment so I can't decide whether to bother with it or not!

What's the verdict on S3 and would I be better off just jumping straight to that?


Don't skip all of S2 as there's some gold in there, as well as the reveal of Laura's killer which is very well done indeed. Just skip eps 10-17 (read the recaps if you need to here). Episode 7 of S2 is amongst the series' very best moments.

S3 was, by all accounts, a roaring success although I haven't looked into it too much as I don't want to spoil myself. Next for me is the prequel movie Fire Walk With Me which has...mixed reviews so we'll see how that goes.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Jenuall » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:09 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Jenuall wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed watching S1 of Twin Peaks about a year ago but have not mustered the courage to get through S2 as of yet - I know it's going to be a disappointment so I can't decide whether to bother with it or not!

What's the verdict on S3 and would I be better off just jumping straight to that?


Don't skip all of S2 as there's some gold in there, as well as the reveal of Laura's killer which is very well done indeed. Just skip eps 10-17 (read the recaps if you need to here). Episode 7 of S2 is amongst the series' very best moments.

S3 was, by all accounts, a roaring success although I haven't looked into it too much as I don't want to spoil myself. Next for me is the prequel movie Fire Walk With Me which has...mixed reviews so we'll see how that goes.


Cool, I had heard good rumblings about S3 but was likewise trying not to dig into it too much and spoil anything!

I think I'll go with the compressed viewing of S2 and skip the weak ones - unless I'm feeling brave by the time I get to episode 10!

ImageImage
User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Monkey Man » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:59 pm

Kingdom - 8.5/10

Netflix South Korean Zombie show set in Korea’s medieval Joseon period. Loved it with only 6 well paced episodes. Very pleased a 2nd season is shooting this month.
https://www.netflix.com/title/80180171

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Peter Crisp » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:44 am

I just finished series 1 of Ministerio Del Tiempo on Netflix and really enjoyed it.

It's a Spanish series about the ministry of time and they have a team who they send out to solve time travel problems and it's really rather great. If you don't mind subtitles (they can sometimes be very quick) and enjoy the time travel genre then give this a try.

9/10

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Moggy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:21 am

Titans - 9/10

I had no idea what to expect from this other than it was Robin without Batman. The first “strawberry float” and violent scene was a bit of a jolt, I wasn’t expecting it to be so adult. :lol:

A great show, I know hardly anything about the DC universe other than the famous heroes/villains but it was easy to follow and never not watchable.

User avatar
Nibble
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Big Tuna

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Nibble » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:53 am

Tafdolphin wrote:
Jenuall wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed watching S1 of Twin Peaks about a year ago but have not mustered the courage to get through S2 as of yet - I know it's going to be a disappointment so I can't decide whether to bother with it or not!

What's the verdict on S3 and would I be better off just jumping straight to that?


Don't skip all of S2 as there's some gold in there, as well as the reveal of Laura's killer which is very well done indeed. Just skip eps 10-17 (read the recaps if you need to here). Episode 7 of S2 is amongst the series' very best moments.

S3 was, by all accounts, a roaring success although I haven't looked into it too much as I don't want to spoil myself. Next for me is the prequel movie Fire Walk With Me which has...mixed reviews so we'll see how that goes.


Fire Walk With Me is probably my all time favourite film. Sheer brilliance. It's also, unquestionably, a nesessary watch for anyone that's intending to watch S3. It's worth mentioning that The Missing Pieces (an assembly of lengthened/deleted scenes from FWWM) is also a great watch.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Rex Kramer » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:12 am

Moggy wrote:Titans - 9/10

I had no idea what to expect from this other than it was Robin without Batman. The first “strawberry float” and violent scene was a bit of a jolt, I wasn’t expecting it to be so adult. :lol:

A great show, I know hardly anything about the DC universe other than the famous heroes/villains but it was easy to follow and never not watchable.

I thought it was pretty good right up until the last episode. Homicidal Batman just struck me as all wrong.

Last edited by Rex Kramer on Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Moggy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:15 am

Rex Kramer wrote:
Moggy wrote:Titans - 9/10

I had no idea what to expect from this other than it was Robin without Batman. The first “strawberry float” and violent scene was a bit of a jolt, I wasn’t expecting it to be so adult. :lol:

A great show, I know hardly anything about the DC universe other than the famous heroes/villains but it was easy to follow and never not watchable.

I thought it was pretty good right up until the last episode. Homicidal Batman just struck me as all wrong.


There wasn’t a homicidal Batman – all of that was in Robin’s head.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Rex Kramer » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:18 am

Moggy wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:
Moggy wrote:Titans - 9/10

I had no idea what to expect from this other than it was Robin without Batman. The first “strawberry float” and violent scene was a bit of a jolt, I wasn’t expecting it to be so adult. :lol:

A great show, I know hardly anything about the DC universe other than the famous heroes/villains but it was easy to follow and never not watchable.

I thought it was pretty good right up until the last episode. Homicidal Batman just struck me as all wrong.


There wasn’t a homicidal Batman – all of that was in Robin’s head.

Yes but at no point did Robin think - "That's a bit odd given it goes against absolutely everything Batman has ever stood for". Just came across as satisfying some sort of internet 'what if'.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Moggy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:30 am

Rex Kramer wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:
Moggy wrote:Titans - 9/10

I had no idea what to expect from this other than it was Robin without Batman. The first “strawberry float” and violent scene was a bit of a jolt, I wasn’t expecting it to be so adult. :lol:

A great show, I know hardly anything about the DC universe other than the famous heroes/villains but it was easy to follow and never not watchable.

I thought it was pretty good right up until the last episode. Homicidal Batman just struck me as all wrong.


There wasn’t a homicidal Batman – all of that was in Robin’s head.

Yes but at no point did Robin think - "That's a bit odd given it goes against absolutely everything Batman has ever stood for". Just came across as satisfying some sort of internet 'what if'.


He did think that though, at one point he literally said that. But the "powers" that were being used on him convinced him that it was actually happening.

To be fair, it is not that unlikely that the crazy violent bastard that dresses like a bat might go too far ;)

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Jenuall » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:53 am

Upstart Crow. Started watching this on Netflix last night when I couldn't get to sleep, I was expecting it to be complete and utter shite but found it to be fairly entertaining.

It's obviously going to get compared to Blackadder because its a comedy set in the past and whilst it can't hold a candle to that (lets face it not many things can!) it's a funny show in its own right and is certainly the best thing that Ben Elton has been involved in for about 20 years.

ImageImage
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Tafdolphin » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:12 pm

Russian Doll 10/10

Wow, what strawberry floating series. Short, sharp episodes where no screentime is wasted and writing so smart and clever it actually makes me angry. Throw in an amazing performance from Natasha Lyonne and beautiful cinematography and you've a winner.

strawberry floating perfect.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Hulohot
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: dan_e1990
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Hulohot » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:27 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Jenuall wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed watching S1 of Twin Peaks about a year ago but have not mustered the courage to get through S2 as of yet - I know it's going to be a disappointment so I can't decide whether to bother with it or not!

What's the verdict on S3 and would I be better off just jumping straight to that?


Don't skip all of S2 as there's some gold in there, as well as the reveal of Laura's killer which is very well done indeed. Just skip eps 10-17 (read the recaps if you need to here). Episode 7 of S2 is amongst the series' very best moments.

S3 was, by all accounts, a roaring success although I haven't looked into it too much as I don't want to spoil myself. Next for me is the prequel movie Fire Walk With Me which has...mixed reviews so we'll see how that goes.


Season 3, and Twin Peaks in general is the best season of a show I've ever seen.

However it does have pacing issues. The gold is there, the frustration is there, but the heart and everything you love about the old series is there too.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Tafdolphin » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:42 pm

Yeah, we're up to episode 15 of Season 3 and... it's been a ride.

Not sure how I feel about it yet. I think a lot will depend on how they wrap it all up.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Ironhide » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:00 pm

Vikings - S5

Historical inaccuracies aside I really enjoyed that.

Ivar is such an evil bastard Freydis and Thora didn't deserve such horrible deaths

By far the darkest the show has been for ages.

Also Lagertha is incredible even with grey hair :wub:

Image
User avatar
Ecno
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: There're no Wolves

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Ecno » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:24 pm

Ironhide wrote:Vikings - S5

Historical inaccuracies aside I really enjoyed that.

Ivar is such an evil bastard Freydis and Thora didn't deserve such horrible deaths

By far the darkest the show has been for ages.

Also Lagertha is incredible even with grey hair :wub:


Finished this a few weeks ago, really enjoyed it. Could have done without the Loki Iceland subplot- thought that a bit tedious and dull.

http://www.phantomgoal.com

Football Betting Analysis and other related topics.
User avatar
Hulohot
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: dan_e1990
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Hulohot » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:20 am

Tafdolphin wrote:Yeah, we're up to episode 15 of Season 3 and... it's been a ride.

Not sure how I feel about it yet. I think a lot will depend on how they wrap it all up.


I still think about the end daily over a year later. It has stuck with me. :wub:

User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Alvin Flummux » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:54 am

Black Sails, a truly fantastic piratical TV series (I'm sorry I ever pooh-poohed it) and a perfect prequel to Treasure Island, which I now desire a Black Sails-y retelling of.

User avatar
Miguel007
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Miguel007 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:03 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:Russian Doll 10/10

Wow, what strawberry floating series. Short, sharp episodes where no screentime is wasted and writing so smart and clever it actually makes me angry. Throw in an amazing performance from Natasha Lyonne and beautiful cinematography and you've a winner.

strawberry floating perfect.



Completely agree, watched the whole thing in one sitting; fantastic series.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Tafdolphin » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:32 pm

Just finished episode 17 of Twin Peaks season 3, and it hit me real strawberry floating hard.

I did not expect them to go down the time travel route at all, but the way it was done actually made me really emotional.

The crux of Twin Peaks has always been Laura Palmer, and the trauma resulting from her abuse. A lot of the original series, and even Fire Walk With Me, could be read as an allegory, that all of the supernatural stuff is simply a narrative device to mask the terrible reality of Laura's situation. Although I've been loving season 3, I feel that it left that behind somewhat to concentrate on an exploration of the very literal duelling worlds of the fiction's universe.

Episode 17 regained some of that emotional weight. Simply seeing Sheryl Lee's amazing performance in FWWM hit hard, but Cooper's "We're going home" had me welling up something proper.

Then of course, because it's Lynch, something goes wrong... which cues up the finale.


Taking a break for a few hours then we're going to get the whole thing over with.
EDIT: Also, the final showdown with BOB was just...terrifyingly brilliant.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andretmzt, Benzin, Chocolate-Milk, Lime, mcjihge2, Peter Crisp, pjbetman, poshrule_uk, Snowcannon, suzzopher, VlaSoul and 51 guests