Last TV series you watched and your rating.

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Vermilion » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:42 pm

13 Reasons Why: Season 1

6 episodes watched so far, and it has really drawn me in, the performances and writing are utterly superb, especially given the controversial subject matter, though i have heard that some of the scenes later in the series will be really difficult viewing and so am expecting things to get pretty unpleasant.

User avatar
SugarDave
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by SugarDave » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:51 pm

more heat than light wrote:I just watched the first episode of that and I'm finding the fact that everyone is British incredibly jarring. Surely Russian with subtitles would have been a better option?

Pretty harrowing stuff though.


They talk about this in the podcasts that accompany each episode (recommended listening btw). I think the actors tried doing Russian accents initially but it got in the way of focusing on the content so they just said strawberry float it. Wouldn't surprise me if Russian with subtitles was shot down as being unpalatable to a general audience. You'll probably get used to it though.

User avatar
more heat than light
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: mhtl
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by more heat than light » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:00 pm

SugarDave wrote:
more heat than light wrote:I just watched the first episode of that and I'm finding the fact that everyone is British incredibly jarring. Surely Russian with subtitles would have been a better option?

Pretty harrowing stuff though.


They talk about this in the podcasts that accompany each episode (recommended listening btw). I think the actors tried doing Russian accents initially but it got in the way of focusing on the content so they just said strawberry float it. Wouldn't surprise me if Russian with subtitles was shot down as being unpalatable to a general audience. You'll probably get used to it though.


Interesting, might give that a listen. It certainly hasn't put me off watching the rest, I just found it a bit odd. You're probably right about subtitles being a tough sell for a mainstream audience, but I think it would have made it far more real.

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Oblomov Boblomov » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:52 pm

Disappointed to hear of this as I've been looking forward to watching it. strawberry floating mainstream audiences refusing to watch foreign language content :fp:.

Image
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Ironhide » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:58 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:
TigaSefi wrote:This is exactly how I feel about Fleabag. Season 2 is god-tier. Loved watching Waller-Bridge.

I concur. It's a wonderous piece of writing. I don't know whether it's down to the script, the actors or the direction but even the pauses in dialogue are perfectly timed. And those fourth wall stares at the camera are masterful.


I saw an ad for it when it to first started and immediately dismissed it as typical BBC3 shite, is it really that good?

Image
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Rex Kramer » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:16 pm

Ironhide wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:
TigaSefi wrote:This is exactly how I feel about Fleabag. Season 2 is god-tier. Loved watching Waller-Bridge.

I concur. It's a wonderous piece of writing. I don't know whether it's down to the script, the actors or the direction but even the pauses in dialogue are perfectly timed. And those fourth wall stares at the camera are masterful.


I saw an ad for it when it to first started and immediately dismissed it as typical BBC3 shite, is it really that good?

Yes

Dual
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Dual » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:21 pm

abcd wrote:Fleabag series 1 and 2.

9/10

Has anyone else watched it? I have some thoughts about it;

In series 2 the priest notices that fleabag breaks the forth wall. However, is she really talking to us, or is it some sort of subconscious conversation? Why does the priest notice it? Am I reading too much into this?


She talks to the audience the same way he talks to God. That's why he could look at 'us' as well

User avatar
Ord
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Ord » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:25 pm

True Detective Series 3. Good character drama, but I felt it was riffing off season one too much at the start and ended with a whimper rather than a bang. Stephen Dorff was the real revelation here though and his performance was brilliant! 6/10

Good Omens - Thoroughly enjoyed this. Tennant and Sheen were both superb in this and it was surprisingly faithful to the book. Cracking stuff! Now I want to see good adaptations of the Diskworld series please! 8/10

ImageImage
BOR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by BOR » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:26 pm

Chernobyl.

It was fantastic mini TV series but horrifying. :dread:

Would recommend anybody to watch it.

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Ironhide » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:00 pm

Chernobyl - 9/10

Both fascinating and harrowing in equal measure .

Would have been better if it was in Ukrainian/Russian with English subtitles but I fully understand why they didn't do that.

Last edited by Ironhide on Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Moggy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:03 pm

I’ve not seen Chernobyl but have heard people say it should have been in Russian. Surely though it should have been in a mix of Ukrainian and Russian?

Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009
Location: The Umbral Plains

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Preezy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:26 pm

I watched the first episode last night - super tense and the background music just fills you with a brooding dread :dread:

Image
BOR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by BOR » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:14 pm

Preezy wrote:I watched the first episode last night - super tense and the background music just fills you with a brooding dread :dread:

Yeah, all episodes were excellent, but I felt the fourth episode was the best.

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
User avatar
more heat than light
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: mhtl
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by more heat than light » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:27 pm

Moggy wrote:I’ve not seen Chernobyl but have heard people say it should have been in Russian. Surely though it should have been in a mix of Ukrainian and Russian?


Well yes, obviously. You massive pedant. :lol:

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Moggy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:46 pm

more heat than light wrote:
Moggy wrote:I’ve not seen Chernobyl but have heard people say it should have been in Russian. Surely though it should have been in a mix of Ukrainian and Russian?


Well yes, obviously. You massive pedant. :lol:


Pedants: “Why didn’t they make Chernobyl more accurate by using Russian instead of English?”

Serious answer: “But Chernobyl is in Ukraine!”

Pedants: “Pedant!”

Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009
Location: The Umbral Plains

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Preezy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:17 pm

It should have been in USSRian.

Image
User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Vermilion » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:21 pm

Pffft, surely you guys know that in Soviet Russia, languages speak you!

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Moggy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:52 pm

Vermilion wrote:Pffft, surely you guys know that in Soviet Ukraine, languages speak you!


FTFY

Image
User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Vermilion » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:18 pm

Moggy wrote:
Vermilion wrote:Pffft, surely you guys know that in Soviet Ukraine, languages speak you!


FTFY


Touché

User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Pedz » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:44 pm

Vermilion wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Vermilion wrote:Pffft, surely you guys know that in Soviet Ukraine, languages speak you!


FTFY


Touché


I don't think they spoke French there.

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Benzin, massimo, Met, Neph, Snowcannon and 174 guests