Last TV series you watched and your rating.

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
mcjihge2
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by mcjihge2 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:55 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Ecno wrote:
mcjihge2 wrote:Community Season 1 and 2. I really like them. I like how Alison Brie seems to get recognised as a big talent and gets drawn to a higher billing/role as the seasons progress. The first seaso and a half seem pretty normal in terms of the college theme storylines, but then they seem to lose ideas and just put together more zany escapades for the group to find themselves in - seems to jump the shark pretty early. S1 and half of S2 = 9/10 then on about a 7.

Theres another 4 seasons for me to watch on all 4 streaming for free, does it continue to mainly consist of far fetched one off episodes?


Mostly yes - comes back around at the end.

Community jumping the shark is one of the saddest moments in modern comedy TV for me, it was such a brilliant show when it maintained a grip on reality, or went for a bizarre, but brief, detour that was beautifully juxtaposed against that normality.

I still think that for the most part everything after S2 is very enjoyable, it only dances with being truly "bad" a couple of times but also manages some really high points again if you stick with it.

S6 is very strong in my opinion but many think it had lost too many of the original cast by that point.


Ive just watched the episode in S3 with the dice roll - Really good episode.

Xbox Live: GCE
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Jenuall » Fri May 10, 2019 6:46 pm

mcjihge2 wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
Ecno wrote:
mcjihge2 wrote:Community Season 1 and 2. I really like them. I like how Alison Brie seems to get recognised as a big talent and gets drawn to a higher billing/role as the seasons progress. The first seaso and a half seem pretty normal in terms of the college theme storylines, but then they seem to lose ideas and just put together more zany escapades for the group to find themselves in - seems to jump the shark pretty early. S1 and half of S2 = 9/10 then on about a 7.

Theres another 4 seasons for me to watch on all 4 streaming for free, does it continue to mainly consist of far fetched one off episodes?


Mostly yes - comes back around at the end.

Community jumping the shark is one of the saddest moments in modern comedy TV for me, it was such a brilliant show when it maintained a grip on reality, or went for a bizarre, but brief, detour that was beautifully juxtaposed against that normality.

I still think that for the most part everything after S2 is very enjoyable, it only dances with being truly "bad" a couple of times but also manages some really high points again if you stick with it.

S6 is very strong in my opinion but many think it had lost too many of the original cast by that point.


Ive just watched the episode in S3 with the dice roll - Really good episode.

Yeah Remedial Chaos Theory is definitely a top episode! Many people rate it as their favourite in fact, I wouldn't go that far but it is up there.

Image
Gemini73

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Gemini73 » Fri May 10, 2019 6:52 pm

Curfew.

I really wanted to like it and it did have some good moments, but overall quite average.

5/10

User avatar
more heat than light
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: mhtl
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by more heat than light » Fri May 10, 2019 7:59 pm

Breaking Bad S1 : 9/10
Breaking Bad S2 : 10/10
Breaking Bad S3 : 9/10
Breaking Bad S4 : 10/10
Breaking Bad S5 : 10/10

I haven't binge watched this, I just didn't want some asshat spoiling it for me since I'm extremely late to the party. Watched it over the course of about six months.

It's the best TV I've ever seen, bar none. strawberry float Cora.

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Oblomov Boblomov » Fri May 10, 2019 9:09 pm

more heat than light wrote:Breaking Bad S1 : 9/10
Breaking Bad S2 : 10/10
Breaking Bad S3 : 9/10
Breaking Bad S4 : 10/10
Breaking Bad S5 : 10/10

I haven't binge watched this, I just didn't want some asshat spoiling it for me since I'm extremely late to the party. Watched it over the course of about six months.

It's the best TV I've ever seen, bar none. strawberry float Cora.

:lol:

Nice 8-) glad you enjoyed it.

Have you seen The Sopranos? :shifty:

Image
User avatar
more heat than light
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: mhtl
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by more heat than light » Fri May 10, 2019 9:19 pm

Yep. It was great. :-)

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Oblomov Boblomov » Mon May 13, 2019 8:17 am

Fleabag

Loved it. Looking forward to series 2 of Killing Eve even more now.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Moggy » Mon May 13, 2019 8:03 pm

Star Trek Discovery Season 1 - 4/10

This opened well but was strawberry floating awful. I had heard Season 2 was decent though so finished it.

Star Trek Discovery Season 2 - 8/10

What a turnaround, really enjoyed the second season. It was mostly nonsensical, plot armoured up and with some terrible dialogue but unlike the first season was actually enjoyable.

I should say that those are the only Star Trek TV shows I’ve ever watched, although season 2 was good it doesn’t want to make me go back to earlier series.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Moggy » Tue May 14, 2019 8:27 pm

Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes - 9/10

A terrifying documentary about Bundy. I knew some of the basics but the whole story is astonishing. It’s scary just how “normal” he comes across when talking and the court room stuff was crazy.

I actually agreed with him at the end about the people outside while he was being executed, crazy bastards.

Image
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Ironhide » Tue May 14, 2019 9:43 pm

Moggy wrote:Star Trek Discovery Season 1 - 4/10

This opened well but was strawberry floating awful. I had heard Season 2 was decent though so finished it.

Star Trek Discovery Season 2 - 8/10

What a turnaround, really enjoyed the second season. It was mostly nonsensical, plot armoured up and with some terrible dialogue but unlike the first season was actually enjoyable.

I should say that those are the only Star Trek TV shows I’ve ever watched, although season 2 was good it doesn’t want to make me go back to earlier series.


The only other Star Trek series I've watched a sizeable chunk of is TNG and that is much better than Discovery, terribly early 90's ish to almost painful levels though.

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Peter Crisp » Tue May 14, 2019 10:18 pm

Moggy wrote:Star Trek Discovery Season 1 - 4/10

This opened well but was strawberry floating awful. I had heard Season 2 was decent though so finished it.

Star Trek Discovery Season 2 - 8/10

What a turnaround, really enjoyed the second season. It was mostly nonsensical, plot armoured up and with some terrible dialogue but unlike the first season was actually enjoyable.

I should say that those are the only Star Trek TV shows I’ve ever watched, although season 2 was good it doesn’t want to make me go back to earlier series.


I agree that season 2 is much much better.
They toned down the dark theme and had a much better overall story with less spotlight on a single character and that really worked.

I still don't think it's very Treklike though as part of Trek is about hope for the future and Discovery really doesn't give you hope for the future.
Nowhere near as good as The Orville though.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Vermilion » Wed May 15, 2019 7:56 am

Fear the Walking Dead S2

8/10

Really enjoyed it, and it was way better than season 2 of the main show (i'm watching both from the beginning as i've seen neither before).

User avatar
mcjihge2
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by mcjihge2 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:26 pm

Sabrina season 2. Really good. Good ending. 9/10.

Xbox Live: GCE
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Squinty » Wed May 15, 2019 10:17 pm

Moggy wrote:Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes - 9/10

A terrifying documentary about Bundy. I knew some of the basics but the whole story is astonishing. It’s scary just how “normal” he comes across when talking and the court room stuff was crazy.

I actually agreed with him at the end about the people outside while he was being executed, crazy bastards.


This was a great documentary. It's totally mental that he got to cross exam witnesses.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Tafdolphin » Thu May 16, 2019 5:56 am

Eh, I liked Discovery season 1. It's not in the big leagues of prestige TV but it wasn't trying to be. Like the Next Generation it was something pleasant to have on in the background whilst eating.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Moggy » Thu May 16, 2019 6:01 am

Squinty wrote:
Moggy wrote:Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes - 9/10

A terrifying documentary about Bundy. I knew some of the basics but the whole story is astonishing. It’s scary just how “normal” he comes across when talking and the court room stuff was crazy.

I actually agreed with him at the end about the people outside while he was being executed, crazy bastards.


This was a great documentary. It's totally mental that he got to cross exam witnesses.


The whole thing was crazy. The escapes, the trial and the way the judge sentenced him to death but then said “take care of yourself young man”. Bizarre.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Jenuall » Thu May 16, 2019 1:02 pm

Huge in France - Netflix - 7/10

Comedy/Drama series about a French comedian, Gad, who moves to LA after growing tired of his "playboy" lifestyle in France and to try and connect with his American son who is trying to be a model.

This was a real mixed bag of a show, it had some great moments in it but also didn't really seem to know what it was trying to do or say for a lot of the time. Almost everyone in the show is pretty unlikable as well which can make it a bit hard to root for any kind of positive outcome! :lol:

Netflix seem to be doing quite a lot of programming that would appear to boil down to giving famous people some cash and a loose set of reins to go off an make something that they want to make, that can work really well (something like Master of None which was brilliant IMO) but it can result in stuff like this which has real character and an off beat feel but doesn't really deliver in they way that you would want it to.

It has made me want to check out some of Gad's stand up work though so hopefully that is a good outcome!

Image
User avatar
Outrunner
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Outrunner » Sun May 19, 2019 10:29 pm

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - 8.5/10

I started this because a friend incessantly kept recommending it and I thought the easiest way to shut her up was to watch a couple of episodes. I binged series 1-3 then had the long (wasn't long at all but seemed it) wait for season 4. Season 3 hit a nerve as it tackled issues I've had in the past and did it well. I loved it and I'm torn between being sad it finished and happy it went out on a high. Marked down for a couple of plot elements and
replacing Greg in the final season. I get why it was done but the new actor didn't seem to fit the role

User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Monkey Man » Wed May 22, 2019 12:22 am

The Society (Netflix) Season One - 7.5/10

From Party of Five creator Christopher Keyser, The Society follows a group of high school students who, instead of being taken to the Smokey Mountains like they are expecting, find themselves in an exact replica of their upper-class Connecticut town. Only when they go to their homes, the teenagers realize all of their parents, siblings, and even their pets are nowhere to be found.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80197989

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJzU-b5EU9c

Surprisingly good. A nice mix of mystery, drama and growing up fast.

"The Society Review: Netflix's Mysterious Thriller Is Its Best YA Drama Yet" - https://www.tvguide.com/news/the-societ ... yn-newton/

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Moggy » Wed May 22, 2019 7:49 am

Into the Badlands: Season 3 - 7/10

The story of this is pretty much bobbins, but it is very entertaining and has some fantastic fight scenes. Nick Frost being a kung fu expert really is something to behold. :lol:

Image

Return to “Stuff”