Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (Switch) - 20/09/2019

Anything to do with games at all.
deathofcows
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (Switch) - 20/09/2019
by deathofcows » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:45 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:
deathofcows wrote:The gameplay! Infinitely better game-feel and weight. Even basic sword-and-shield play is pleasingly chunky compared to the lighter, flightier original.


The shield being always equipped makes a big difference to combat against sword wielding enemies I think. One thing I would note is that the knockback when having a piece of power (or the level 2 sword) has been toned down from the original, which feels like a tweak in the opposite direction. It certainly makes the power-up feel like less of a power-up as the distinction is lessened.


Ya agree with this, too.

I didn't much like the music, the description-break and the limited power of the power-ups, so actually avoided them in the main.

Last edited by deathofcows on Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (Switch) - 20/09/2019
by Frank » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:53 pm

deathofcows wrote:That chime keeps a-chiming and I've no idea where/what it's referring to! I feel pleasingly stumped.


I had to google that one :slol:

Think about what you've done at that spot previously

Image
User avatar
Yubel
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Nowhere
Contact:

PostRe: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (Switch) - 20/09/2019
by Yubel » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:00 pm

Completed the game today, but I will go back for the two heart pieces I'm missing (one just east of Tal Tal Heights in a cave, the last strawberry float knows where) and to complete the final set of chamber dungeons.

Also, what a beautiful ending. I can see myself replaying this some day for the 'secret' ending too.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (Switch) - 20/09/2019
by OrangeRKN » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:28 pm


"Nintendo fanboys are the worst kind" - gamerforever
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (Switch) - 20/09/2019
by Pedz » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:07 pm

deathofcows wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:
deathofcows wrote:Similarly, I don't think many mechanics are really taken to their brain-bending A-HA! fullest (Why am I not throwing a Boomerang and needing to catch it quickly from a different spot to change its arc?! Why am I not using the Hookshot's drag feature more than on a couple of bridges?! Etc). But this is partly because I've recently been spoiled by Celeste's top-tier masterclass in teasing out every alchemic possibility from its systems. But still, there were few paradigmatic item moments.


I don't disagree with the sentiment, but those wouldn't be my choice of examples! For one the boomerang is an optional item so the game is right not to depend on it, and the hookshot is used in a substantial number of secrets and shortcuts about the overworld. Much more underused would be the bow - it's necessary only for a single puzzle in the final dungeon, if I remember correctly - and I rarely touch it. The Magic Rod too is of very limited use, and while the mirror shield fares a little better the flamethrower barrier is the most blatant and ill-fitting progress gate in the game.


Ya, agreed.

Talking of secrets, I'm still struggling to get a Secret Seashell in the southeast corner at the junction of the plains/desert.

That chime keeps a-chiming and I've no idea where/what it's referring to! I feel pleasingly stumped.


This really annoyed me, I spent a while looking for it and then looked at a guide, I genuinely thought the game had glitched on me.

Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (Switch) - 20/09/2019
by OrangeRKN » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:11 pm

It's also the only seashell I looked up as I was worried I had missed or broken it

Wish I hadn't though, the solution is great

"Nintendo fanboys are the worst kind" - gamerforever
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
User avatar
Captain Kinopio
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Herbi
Location: The Observatory

PostRe: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (Switch) - 20/09/2019
by Captain Kinopio » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:36 pm

Playing this makes me realise how outdated the old 2D Zelda gameplay is.

Compared to other 2D / Indie games on the market it just feels old fashioned. Taking on enemies is pretty tame and the overworld puzzling is very fetch questy.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (Switch) - 20/09/2019
by OrangeRKN » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:14 pm

What would you say has surpassed it? I've played several indie Zelda-likes available on Switch* and all of them are worse than Link's Awakening.

*Ittle Dew 2+, Oceanhorn, Blossom Tales, Moonlighter, Kamiko, Legend of the Skyfish

"Nintendo fanboys are the worst kind" - gamerforever
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
User avatar
gamerforever
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (Switch) - 20/09/2019
by gamerforever » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:57 pm

Done the second dungeon. Not getting the same vibes as a link between worlds and it doesn’t feel like a proper zelda game to me. The framerate does jump at times, which is odd, but does not affect my enjoyment.

It feels like this game only takes a bit longer to get through because of the lack of hints. Some solutions are so bizarre i am having to refer to an online walkthrough.

Decent game, but i’m spending more time on the snes titles than this.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (Switch) - 20/09/2019
by OrangeRKN » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:34 pm

Are you aware of the in-game hint system that is the telephone booths? I'm really unsure as to what could be causing you so much trouble so early in the game. Just make sure to explore and talk to everyone, and take mental note of places you can't get yet.

"Nintendo fanboys are the worst kind" - gamerforever
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (Switch) - 20/09/2019
by Skarjo » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:21 am

Captain Kinopio wrote:Playing this makes me realise how outdated the old 2D Zelda gameplay is.

Compared to other 2D / Indie games on the market it just feels old fashioned. Taking on enemies is pretty tame and the overworld puzzling is very fetch questy.


Of course it's old fashioned it's from 1993.

Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
gamerforever
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (Switch) - 20/09/2019
by gamerforever » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:28 am

OrangeRKN wrote:Are you aware of the in-game hint system that is the telephone booths? I'm really unsure as to what could be causing you so much trouble so early in the game. Just make sure to explore and talk to everyone, and take mental note of places you can't get yet.


I’m probably not paying enough attention because I haven’t been captured by this game. Yes, been to the phone booth, but the hints are still a bit vague.

Still confused how this has any slowdown, its hardly a technical marvel and there’s ps3 games that look better than this. I guess we expect more from nintendo, but from now on in i feel the bar is much lower.

User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (Switch) - 20/09/2019
by Pedz » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:57 am

gamerforever wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:Are you aware of the in-game hint system that is the telephone booths? I'm really unsure as to what could be causing you so much trouble so early in the game. Just make sure to explore and talk to everyone, and take mental note of places you can't get yet.


I’m probably not paying enough attention because I haven’t been captured by this game. Yes, been to the phone booth, but the hints are still a bit vague.

Still confused how this has any slowdown, its hardly a technical marvel and there’s ps3 games that look better than this. I guess we expect more from nintendo, but from now on in i feel the bar is much lower.


This is a lovely looking game, just because you don't think it is doesn't mean it isn't. I think the reason for the Slowdown is this is Grezzo's very first Switch game, as well as their first HD game, whereas all their other games were on the 3DS (maybe one or two on DS) and it's not a simple remaster, it's a full-on remake which was completely built from the ground up.

I'm not saying don't criticize them for the few faults, but for what they've done with this, compared to what they did in the past, I think this is a pretty great achievement for them.

Image
User avatar
gamerforever
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (Switch) - 20/09/2019
by gamerforever » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:18 am

Pedz wrote:
gamerforever wrote:
OrangeRKN wrote:Are you aware of the in-game hint system that is the telephone booths? I'm really unsure as to what could be causing you so much trouble so early in the game. Just make sure to explore and talk to everyone, and take mental note of places you can't get yet.


I’m probably not paying enough attention because I haven’t been captured by this game. Yes, been to the phone booth, but the hints are still a bit vague.

Still confused how this has any slowdown, its hardly a technical marvel and there’s ps3 games that look better than this. I guess we expect more from nintendo, but from now on in i feel the bar is much lower.


This is a lovely looking game, just because you don't think it is doesn't mean it isn't. I think the reason for the Slowdown is this is Grezzo's very first Switch game, as well as their first HD game, whereas all their other games were on the 3DS (maybe one or two on DS) and it's not a simple remaster, it's a full-on remake which was completely built from the ground up.

I'm not saying don't criticize them for the few faults, but for what they've done with this, compared to what they did in the past, I think this is a pretty great achievement for them.


I actually think we should be more critical because the game is not exactly a full on 3D Zelda is it? I think the game is decent, but clearly exists to fill the void of a proper 3D zelda, which will be released in a few years time. I do like the fact that there are some refreshing ideas and new enemies rather than the usual mokoblins etc

User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (Switch) - 20/09/2019
by Pedz » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:07 am

It may not be in a 3D perspective, as it 3rd person from behind, but it's all 3D.

There's little point talking-to you about it really. If this was a PS4 title you'd be sucking it's cock.

Image
User avatar
gamerforever
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (Switch) - 20/09/2019
by gamerforever » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:37 pm

Pedz wrote:It may not be in a 3D perspective, as it 3rd person from behind, but it's all 3D.

There's little point talking-to you about it really. If this was a PS4 title you'd be sucking it's cock.


Thats a bit rude mate. Why get so aggressive over a game?

I expect higher of nintendo. If it were an indie title on ps4 then obviously i would not expect much.

I do not think it is unfair to expect better from nintendo when they charge 50% more for their titles, do you? Perhaps deserving on a new topic, as i think it is a big discussion point and one i am happy to start.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (Switch) - 20/09/2019
by OrangeRKN » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:41 pm

Just to reiterate Link's Awakening is Nintendo published but developed by Grezzo, not in-house. Presumably Nintendo had lots of oversight with it being a Zelda game but this is a different studio than say Nintendo EPD.

"Nintendo fanboys are the worst kind" - gamerforever
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
User avatar
gamerforever
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (Switch) - 20/09/2019
by gamerforever » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:56 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:Just to reiterate Link's Awakening is Nintendo published but developed by Grezzo, not in-house. Presumably Nintendo had lots of oversight with it being a Zelda game but this is a different studio than say Nintendo EPD.


Grezzo had a great record, so no issue with them, but at the end of the day its a full priced nintendo game.

User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (Switch) - 20/09/2019
by Pedz » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:41 pm

"I have no problems with that, so I'll move the goalposts so I can still have a problem with that".

Image
User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake (Switch) - 20/09/2019
by KjGarly » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:50 am

Obviously Lamerforever is just gooseberry fool at games if he needed to look up a guide so early on :lol: on the final dungeon now and the only time I had to look up a guide was because i hadn't uncovered the Signpost Maze on the map and spent ages going everywhere but the tiny unexplored part of my map I seem to have missed when zooming in all around it.

Think I'm close to 25 hours playtime and loved every moment of it even with the framerate drops.

Image
Image Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cuttooth, Damian, darksideby182, Google [Bot], kazanova_Frankenstein, kerr9000, MSN [Bot], Nook29, OldSoulCyborg, Peter Crisp, Rubix, Seven, Tafdolphin, Tineash, Trelliz and 57 guests