Legend of Zelda - General series chat

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostLegend of Zelda - General series chat
by ITSMILNER » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:34 am

Image

Finally got some LoZ Wii U news this week from the latest nintendo direct



So we now know that 2 Zelda titles heading to Wii U, the first being a Wind Waker HD remaster followed at some point by a brand new Zelda adventure!

Wind Waker images
Image

Image

Image

Image


All we know currently about WW is they are upgrading the graphics and "Tuning up the gameplay" not sure if this means adding new content or sorting out the triforce hunt section at the end but hopefully we'll find out at E3 (and hopefully news on MM coming to 3DS :shifty: )

So guys and gals what do you all think of the new look visuals for WW? and what would you like to see from the next brand new Zelda?

Oh and don't forget Hyrule Historia comes out next week! http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Legend-Zelda-Hyrule-Historia/dp/1616550414/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359102628&sr=8-1

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Fatal Exception
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Racist chinese lover
Location: ಠ_ಠ

PostRe: Legend of Zelda Wii U and 3DS discussion - HD Wind Waker
by Fatal Exception » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:49 am

Wind Waker looks so much worse on the WiiU. They've ruined it :fp:

The above post, unless specifically stated to the contrary, should not be taken seriously. If the above post has offended you in any way, please fill in this form and return it to your nearest moderator.
Image
User avatar
Starquake
Member
Joined in 2011
Contact:

PostRe: Legend of Zelda Wii U and 3DS discussion - HD Wind Waker
by Starquake » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:10 am

Wind Waker looks so much better on Wii U

@four5sixpixel making games...

Wreckout
Hyper Sentinel http://www.hypersentinel.com
User avatar
TheTurnipKing
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Legend of Zelda Wii U and 3DS discussion - HD Wind Waker
by TheTurnipKing » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:12 am

I'll hold fire until I see the new look moving. The bloom seems overpowering, but I was to see how the lighting plays out in real time.

User avatar
Slartibartfast
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Caerdydd/Worcestershire

PostRe: Legend of Zelda Wii U and 3DS discussion - HD Wind Waker
by Slartibartfast » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:24 am

Crap, urge to buy a Wii U rising...

User avatar
Starquake
Member
Joined in 2011
Contact:

PostRe: Legend of Zelda Wii U and 3DS discussion - HD Wind Waker
by Starquake » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:30 am

I hope they slightly modify the Wind Waker mechanic to speed up changing the wind direction. I found it annoying to have to keep getting my baton out every time I wanted to change the back wind of my sailboat.

For the new Zelda proper, I dunno, they hint at open world, but I'm not sure what that means since Zelda has always had a world you can wander around as you please, but with a staple linear progression (apart from side quests). I would like to see a Zelda where you could tame and ride different wild beasts. Maybe it would be interesting not to get the weapon upgrades fed through the game, but instead have a bunch of equipment right at the start, and multiple ways to solve puzzles. I dunno really :?

@four5sixpixel making games...

Wreckout
Hyper Sentinel http://www.hypersentinel.com
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Legend of Zelda Wii U and 3DS discussion - HD Wind Waker
by Qikz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:32 am

Well, what people have to remember with the wind waker art is that's going to be far from final. If it was final we would have seen video rather than just stills.

Either way, Wind Waker is one of my favourite Zeldas and I can't wait to play it on Wii U <333

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Fatal Exception
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Racist chinese lover
Location: ಠ_ಠ

PostRe: Legend of Zelda Wii U and 3DS discussion - HD Wind Waker
by Fatal Exception » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:34 am

They seem to be removing the cell shading. It's now a lot closer to Skyward Sword's visual style. I'll admit that this is a lot, lot nicer than Twishite Princes, but those stills seem to have lost all the original charm it had. :cry:

Perhaps in motion it will have a charm of it's own, but no sir, I don't like it. It's not the Wind Waker I remember and love.

The above post, unless specifically stated to the contrary, should not be taken seriously. If the above post has offended you in any way, please fill in this form and return it to your nearest moderator.
Image
User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: Legend of Zelda Wii U and 3DS discussion - HD Wind Waker
by captain red dog » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:47 am

Generally I find Nintendo tend to make the correct decision on visuals for Zelda games so I will reserve judgement on this. I remember being very critical of the look of Wind Waker originally but in retrospect it was an inspired move and really suited the game.

For me, this is all about Nintendo getting rid of the stupid fetch quest near the end and adding in the two cut dungeons. If they do that, I will probably get a Wii U in August.

User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Legend of Zelda Wii U and 3DS discussion - HD Wind Waker
by KjGarly » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:55 am

Fatal Exception wrote:They seem to be removing the cell shading. It's now a lot closer to Skyward Sword's visual style. I'll admit that this is a lot, lot nicer than Twishite Princes, but those stills seem to have lost all the original charm it had. :cry:

Perhaps in motion it will have a charm of it's own, but no sir, I don't like it. It's not the Wind Waker I remember and love.


You can still play the original in HD through Dolphin. And I personally think Link looks much better on the original..

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Image Image
User avatar
Fatal Exception
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Racist chinese lover
Location: ಠ_ಠ

PostRe: Legend of Zelda Wii U and 3DS discussion - HD Wind Waker
by Fatal Exception » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:55 am

captain red dog wrote:Generally I find Nintendo tend to make the correct decision on visuals for Zelda games so I will reserve judgement on this. I remember being very critical of the look of Wind Waker originally but in retrospect it was an inspired move and really suited the game.

For me, this is all about Nintendo getting rid of the stupid fetch quest near the end and adding in the two cut dungeons. If they do that, I will probably get a Wii U in August.


Then surely they were correct the first time. ;) Also Twilight Princess looked absolutely gash. A dull, sparse brownfest. It annoys me that they feel the need to tweak the actual visual style in a HD update, rather than just sticking with the same style and upscaling textures and models.

The above post, unless specifically stated to the contrary, should not be taken seriously. If the above post has offended you in any way, please fill in this form and return it to your nearest moderator.
Image
User avatar
darksideby182
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: cove grove

PostRe: Legend of Zelda Wii U and 3DS discussion - HD Wind Waker
by darksideby182 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:15 am

Slartibartfast wrote:Crap, urge to buy a Wii U rising...

Yep feel the same

Wii U : punkeator
Xbox live : darksideby182
Psn : darksideby182
steam : Punkeator
Origin : Punkeator
Switch : 6739-1557-7191
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Legend of Zelda Wii U and 3DS discussion - HD Wind Waker
by ITSMILNER » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:27 am

Starquake wrote:I found it annoying to have to keep getting my baton out


Image





I like the new look for wind waker.....they look like little plastic figures in the screens :wub: I want to see it in motion tho and see how it all looks when it's flowing

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Uppa
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Legend of Zelda Wii U and 3DS discussion - HD Wind Waker
by Uppa » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:52 am

I rather disliked most games that featured bloom on the Wii; I didn't feel the console was up to par to make the feature seem sufficiently beautiful or affecting. But here, I genuinely love the effect; I think the game looks gorgeous, and I'd chalk that up to the added grunt of the Wii U.

I'm not sure I'd want the effect changed, because I'm so enamoured with those screens as things stand!

User avatar
TheTurnipKing
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Legend of Zelda Wii U and 3DS discussion - HD Wind Waker
by TheTurnipKing » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:57 pm

Fatal Exception wrote:
captain red dog wrote:Generally I find Nintendo tend to make the correct decision on visuals for Zelda games so I will reserve judgement on this. I remember being very critical of the look of Wind Waker originally but in retrospect it was an inspired move and really suited the game.

For me, this is all about Nintendo getting rid of the stupid fetch quest near the end and adding in the two cut dungeons. If they do that, I will probably get a Wii U in August.


Then surely they were correct the first time. ;) Also Twilight Princess looked absolutely gash. A dull, sparse brownfest. It annoys me that they feel the need to tweak the actual visual style in a HD update, rather than just sticking with the same style and upscaling textures and models.

Aw, Twi Princess didn't look THAT bad, at least in places. True. The colour palette was uninspiring, but the visual design was quite nice.

Indeed, I think the early shots of Wind Waker have the same problem. The wonderful vibrant colours of the world are washed out by the bloom.

User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Legend of Zelda Wii U and 3DS discussion - HD Wind Waker
by Qikz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:34 pm

Indeed, I think the early shots of Wind Waker have the same problem. The wonderful vibrant colours of the world are washed out by the bloom.


I'm going to take a (not so) wild guess and say that that's far from the finished product. They needed something to show off so they got what they had done up until this point and showed it in order to garner some more interest.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
TheTurnipKing
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Legend of Zelda Wii U and 3DS discussion - HD Wind Waker
by TheTurnipKing » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:59 pm

Hopefully they're also listening to feedback.

User avatar
Fatal Exception
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Racist chinese lover
Location: ಠ_ಠ

PostRe: Legend of Zelda Wii U and 3DS discussion - HD Wind Waker
by Fatal Exception » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:08 pm

TheTurnipKing wrote:
Fatal Exception wrote:
captain red dog wrote:Generally I find Nintendo tend to make the correct decision on visuals for Zelda games so I will reserve judgement on this. I remember being very critical of the look of Wind Waker originally but in retrospect it was an inspired move and really suited the game.

For me, this is all about Nintendo getting rid of the stupid fetch quest near the end and adding in the two cut dungeons. If they do that, I will probably get a Wii U in August.


Then surely they were correct the first time. ;) Also Twilight Princess looked absolutely gash. A dull, sparse brownfest. It annoys me that they feel the need to tweak the actual visual style in a HD update, rather than just sticking with the same style and upscaling textures and models.

Aw, Twi Princess didn't look THAT bad, at least in places. True. The colour palette was uninspiring, but the visual design was quite nice.



I don't know what it was but I absolutely hated it. I loved OoT, Wind Waker and LTTP. But TP.... I can't think of anything I like about it. Just things I don't.

For the record WW is actually my favourite Zelda game, if not my favourite game of all time :shifty:

The above post, unless specifically stated to the contrary, should not be taken seriously. If the above post has offended you in any way, please fill in this form and return it to your nearest moderator.
Image
User avatar
TheTurnipKing
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Legend of Zelda Wii U and 3DS discussion - HD Wind Waker
by TheTurnipKing » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:16 pm

Off the top of my head, Stallord, the Temple of Time and Snowpeak.

I remember Hyrule Castle and the Twilight Realms being quite pretty, too.

It's pretty far down my list of favorite Zelda games, though. Wind Waker is second, and Link To the Past is top. if you strip out lovable weirdos like Four Swords Adventures.

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Legend of Zelda Wii U and 3DS discussion - HD Wind Waker
by Mafro » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:26 pm

Wind Waker is comfortably the worst 3D Zelda.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BAKA, Frank, ITSMILNER, Parksey, Pedz, Photek, Rich, Somebody Else's Problem, Tafdolphin, wensleydale and 131 guests