Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread 2: The Dark World

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread 2: The Dark World
by Lex-Man » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:04 pm

Fade wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:Strongly disagree with all of that, to be perfectly honest.

Okay. I think you'll find this is a forum not a survey though :lol:

Would be nice to hear some thoughts as to why.
Lex-Man wrote:I also really like the sitcom stuff also My Family isn't that great.

But why? Because it triggers your nostalgia or because it's actually well written and funny?

Because personally the only time I laughed at the show was when Agnes said she killed Sparky because it caught me off guard


Because it's well written and funny, it gives an insight into the characters and their motivations. Mainly the last bit really.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Captain Kinopio
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Herbi
Location: The Observatory

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread 2: The Dark World
by Captain Kinopio » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:08 pm

This weeks sitcom stuff was great several really funny moments and just as good as real mockumentary stuff. Think this was the best week for the sitcom stuff to be honest.

Had a real laugh at the 'I actually bit a kid once' line.

User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread 2: The Dark World
by Dual » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:12 pm

I loved it when vision and Agnes stared into the camera as well. They got the Jim from the Office reactions spot on.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread 2: The Dark World
by Jenuall » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:17 pm

I'm watching Modern Family at the moment and it was impressive how well this episode nailed the style of that show, being more of a family set up it was much more of a touchstone than The Office was IMO.

User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread 2: The Dark World
by Tomous » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:22 pm

Elizabeth Olsen's impression of Julie Bowen was spot on.

So was the set to be fair. Really nailed the MF look.

Image
User avatar
Zilnad
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread 2: The Dark World
by Zilnad » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:37 pm

Tomous wrote:Elizabeth Olsen's impression of Julie Bowen was spot on.

So was the set to be fair. Really nailed the MILF look.


FTFY

User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread 2: The Dark World
by Qikz » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:03 pm

Jenuall wrote:I'm watching Modern Family at the moment and it was impressive how well this episode nailed the style of that show, being more of a family set up it was much more of a touchstone than The Office was IMO.


The Vision/Darcy segments were very Arrested Development as well which I loved.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
McCoughlan
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: AnOpenCasket
Location: Earth

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread 2: The Dark World
by McCoughlan » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:49 pm

These episodes are what? The runtime of a Simpsons episode? Yeah I think anything in it has a purpose, it isn't just filler

It's been Ag necessary all along :toot:

User avatar
dmin
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread 2: The Dark World
by dmin » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:30 pm

It's fine when it's mixed up with real world stuff but tbh I found the first 3 eps which relied totally on the tv show stuff a bit of a slog. Outside of the charm factor an hour and a half just felt like overkill.

Also, coming to the story knowing nothing of Agatha they really need to explain that for the non comic readers. Hell, I hadn't heard of her and I'd read lots of comics when younger!

Image
User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread 2: The Dark World
by Frank » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:40 pm

I liked how this episode even had a scene that was exactly what Jenuall was moaning about this kind of show doing, too :slol:

Vision's talking to the camera outside the van, then is all "wait why am I even here talking to you, I should be with my wife" and then for some reason gets back into the van to clip through the roof

Image
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread 2: The Dark World
by Skarjo » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:38 am

dmin wrote:It's fine when it's mixed up with real world stuff but tbh I found the first 3 eps which relied totally on the tv show stuff a bit of a slog. Outside of the charm factor an hour and a half just felt like overkill.

Also, coming to the story knowing nothing of Agatha they really need to explain that for the non comic readers. Hell, I hadn't heard of her and I'd read lots of comics when younger!


Yea definitely, and I'm sure they will.

But after the reveal that it was 'that person' and I was like 'Wow, I have NO idea who that is'.

Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread 2: The Dark World
by Rex Kramer » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:25 am

Frank wrote:I liked how this episode even had a scene that was exactly what Jenuall was moaning about this kind of show doing, too :slol:

Vision's talking to the camera outside the van, then is all "wait why am I even here talking to you, I should be with my wife" and then for some reason gets back into the van to clip through the roof

I kind of took that scene as him actually being in the van all the time and the cut to interview was just happening in his head.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread 2: The Dark World
by Jenuall » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:15 am

Frank wrote:I liked how this episode even had a scene that was exactly what Jenuall was moaning about this kind of show doing, too :slol:

Vision's talking to the camera outside the van, then is all "wait why am I even here talking to you, I should be with my wife" and then for some reason gets back into the van to clip through the roof

I did a combined laugh/groan at that moment! :lol:

User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread 2: The Dark World
by Qikz » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:56 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:
Frank wrote:I liked how this episode even had a scene that was exactly what Jenuall was moaning about this kind of show doing, too :slol:

Vision's talking to the camera outside the van, then is all "wait why am I even here talking to you, I should be with my wife" and then for some reason gets back into the van to clip through the roof

I kind of took that scene as him actually being in the van all the time and the cut to interview was just happening in his head.


It's just a sitcom thing, it happens a lot in modern sitcoms where people will just teleport randomly to interviews and monologues. It's part of the bit.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread 2: The Dark World
by BID0 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:23 pm

PatSharpsMullet wrote:
McCoughlan wrote:
PatSharpsMullet wrote:It definitely seems like the actor Paul Bettany was referring to will be playing the role of Mephisto.


What if
Mephisto
is
Robert Downey Jr, dark Iron Man, going off how the devil is the opposite of the saviour
? Crazy theory but it would have the big name Bettany was on about

He's said it's someone he's been wanting to work with all his life. It's someone he's never worked with before.

Maybe Al Pacino? They have played the devil before, and they contacted Marvel after seeing the original GotG wanting to be part of the MCU

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread 2: The Dark World
by Corazon de Leon » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:37 pm

BID0 wrote:
PatSharpsMullet wrote:
McCoughlan wrote:
PatSharpsMullet wrote:It definitely seems like the actor Paul Bettany was referring to will be playing the role of Mephisto.


What if
Mephisto
is
Robert Downey Jr, dark Iron Man, going off how the devil is the opposite of the saviour
? Crazy theory but it would have the big name Bettany was on about

He's said it's someone he's been wanting to work with all his life. It's someone he's never worked with before.

Maybe Al Pacino? They have played the devil before, and they contacted Marvel after seeing the original GotG wanting to be part of the MCU


PSM - there's been no indication whatsoever that the actor Bettany is referring to will be playing that role. There hasn't even been any indication yet, really, that the character is even in the show.

With that said, I think it'd be a missed opportunity if they don't go down that road. If it is that character then yeah, I think BID0 is spot on.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread 2: The Dark World
by Moggy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:01 pm

It'll be Kevin Bacon as Bettany is desperate to improve his Bacon number. It also fits with the X-Men connection.

Image
User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread 2: The Dark World
by shy guy 64 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:34 pm

Moggy wrote:It'll be Kevin Bacon as Bettany is desperate to improve his Bacon number. It also fits with the X-Men connection.


plus he needs help renewing his EE contract

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread 2: The Dark World
by Moggy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:37 pm

shy guy 64 wrote:
Moggy wrote:It'll be Kevin Bacon as Bettany is desperate to improve his Bacon number. It also fits with the X-Men connection.


plus he needs help renewing his EE contract


. :lol:

Image
User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread 2: The Dark World
by Cuttooth » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:10 pm

Captain Kinopio wrote:This weeks sitcom stuff was great several really funny moments and just as good as real mockumentary stuff. Think this was the best week for the sitcom stuff to be honest.

Had a real laugh at the 'I actually bit a kid once' line.

Yeah, definitely the strongest sitcom episode but then it’s only really been the first and third pastiches that I’ve not found genuinely funny.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Buffalo, Christopher, Dowbocop, Frank, Lagamorph, Lex-Man, Lime, OnlyShallow, Peter Crisp, Saint of Killers, Skarjo, Zilnad and 110 guests