Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk shows announced for Disney+

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Memento Mori
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk shows announced for Disney+
by Memento Mori » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:57 am

Moggy wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:Also, Disney Plus must be struggling to strawberry float if they’re having to blow their load on about ten years worth of Marvel stuff.


They've got about 90 million subscribers, I don't think they're struggling.

With Covid19 killing cinemas (at least temporarily), I can see why they're spending on Disney plus.

IIRC the majority of Disney's income came from the theme parks.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk shows announced for Disney+
by Moggy » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:59 am

Memento Mori wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:Also, Disney Plus must be struggling to strawberry float if they’re having to blow their load on about ten years worth of Marvel stuff.


They've got about 90 million subscribers, I don't think they're struggling.

With Covid19 killing cinemas (at least temporarily), I can see why they're spending on Disney plus.

IIRC the majority of Disney's income came from their secret evil projects.


FTFY

Image
User avatar
Hypes
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk shows announced for Disney+
by Hypes » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:02 am

I might watch Wandavision maybe Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but I don't know about the others. Watching a two/three hour movie 3 times a year is fine, but I can't do numerous TV shows

Image
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk shows announced for Disney+
by Cheeky Devlin » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:04 am

Qikz wrote:
Tineash wrote:Feels like everything on Marvel's big "Maybe?" pile got converted into a streaming series. It's a big vote of no-confidence in the future of cinemas, imo.


I'm happy with this honestly, I'd much rather get longer better TV series than movies any day.

On the one hand it sucks because I love the movies and they feel like events (especially the bigger ones like Avengers, Civil War etc).

On the other hand doing lots of series allows them to do stuff more like the actual comics, where you can do a run for a specific story or character, with different creators.

I would also imagine a lot of these are going to be one-offs rather than multiple-seasons.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk shows announced for Disney+
by Jenuall » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:13 am

Obviously they are very different beasts with different pros and cons but overall for me: TV series > Movies. You can just do so much more in a series than you can in the running time of a movie (or even a series of movies like the MCU) so the scope for telling stories and developing characters and interactions is just infinitely greater.

I hope they continue to release maybe 2 MCU movies each year but if more of their effort and budget starts going into D+ series then I wouldn't be upset at all.

User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk shows announced for Disney+
by Qikz » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:15 am

Cheeky Devlin wrote:
Qikz wrote:
Tineash wrote:Feels like everything on Marvel's big "Maybe?" pile got converted into a streaming series. It's a big vote of no-confidence in the future of cinemas, imo.


I'm happy with this honestly, I'd much rather get longer better TV series than movies any day.

On the one hand it sucks because I love the movies and they feel like events (especially the bigger ones like Avengers, Civil War etc).

On the other hand doing lots of series allows them to do stuff more like the actual comics, where you can do a run for a specific story or character, with different creators.

I would also imagine a lot of these are going to be one-offs rather than multiple-seasons.


I love the TV series side for the reasons you said, I want more variety and more stuff for smaller characters as well. I think it works out better.

I don't think I ever got into movies in the same way, while the release feels like an event movies end so quickly and the pacing is usually so fast that I'd rather it be slower and spread out over a longer running format. Maybe that's just me!

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk shows announced for Disney+
by Corazon de Leon » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:24 am

Moggy wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:Also, Disney Plus must be struggling to strawberry float if they’re having to blow their load on about ten years worth of Marvel stuff.


They've got about 90 million subscribers, I don't think they're struggling.

With Covid19 killing cinemas (at least temporarily), I can see why they're spending on Disney plus.


Doesn’t necessarily mean they’re performing to target, or that they aren’t worried about the impact of *their complete lack of content* on resubscriptions over the next twelve to twenty four months. It’s very odd to splurge *this much* information out to the general public for a division that usually keeps its cards fairly close to its chest.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk shows announced for Disney+
by Jenuall » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:28 am

Corazon de Leon wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:Also, Disney Plus must be struggling to strawberry float if they’re having to blow their load on about ten years worth of Marvel stuff.


They've got about 90 million subscribers, I don't think they're struggling.

With Covid19 killing cinemas (at least temporarily), I can see why they're spending on Disney plus.


Doesn’t necessarily mean they’re performing to target, or that they aren’t worried about the impact of *their complete lack of content* on resubscriptions over the next twelve to twenty four months. It’s very odd to splurge *this much* information out to the general public for a division that usually keeps its cards fairly close to its chest.

Do they though? They've generally announced phases of content in advance like this in the past - here are the next X movies coming etc.

The Phase 4 announcement covered like 5 movies and a similar number of TV shows. I don't think this is anything particularly out of the ordinary.

User avatar
Zilnad
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk shows announced for Disney+
by Zilnad » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:29 am

Is it time for a new thread? The "latest post" button is completely strawberry floated and it's annoying!

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk shows announced for Disney+
by Corazon de Leon » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:47 am

Jenuall wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:Also, Disney Plus must be struggling to strawberry float if they’re having to blow their load on about ten years worth of Marvel stuff.


They've got about 90 million subscribers, I don't think they're struggling.

With Covid19 killing cinemas (at least temporarily), I can see why they're spending on Disney plus.


Doesn’t necessarily mean they’re performing to target, or that they aren’t worried about the impact of *their complete lack of content* on resubscriptions over the next twelve to twenty four months. It’s very odd to splurge *this much* information out to the general public for a division that usually keeps its cards fairly close to its chest.

Do they though? They've generally announced phases of content in advance like this in the past - here are the next X movies coming etc.

The Phase 4 announcement covered like 5 movies and a similar number of TV shows. I don't think this is anything particularly out of the ordinary.


You generally get one phase announcement with a rough outline, and then a few surprises peppered in as schedules have to change or whatever happens over the course of a few years. They already announced the roadmap of Phase Four, and have now come back to announce almost the same amount of new stuff again for the same phase. That is very unusual for them.

Image
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk shows announced for Disney+
by Corazon de Leon » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:48 am

Zilnad wrote:Is it time for a new thread? The "latest post" button is completely strawberry floated and it's annoying!


Yes, absolutely. The alert button is taking me to random pages as well.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk shows announced for Disney+
by Jenuall » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:54 am

Corazon de Leon wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:Also, Disney Plus must be struggling to strawberry float if they’re having to blow their load on about ten years worth of Marvel stuff.


They've got about 90 million subscribers, I don't think they're struggling.

With Covid19 killing cinemas (at least temporarily), I can see why they're spending on Disney plus.


Doesn’t necessarily mean they’re performing to target, or that they aren’t worried about the impact of *their complete lack of content* on resubscriptions over the next twelve to twenty four months. It’s very odd to splurge *this much* information out to the general public for a division that usually keeps its cards fairly close to its chest.

Do they though? They've generally announced phases of content in advance like this in the past - here are the next X movies coming etc.

The Phase 4 announcement covered like 5 movies and a similar number of TV shows. I don't think this is anything particularly out of the ordinary.


You generally get one phase announcement with a rough outline, and then a few surprises peppered in as schedules have to change or whatever happens over the course of a few years. They already announced the roadmap of Phase Four, and have now come back to announce almost the same amount of new stuff again for the same phase. That is very unusual for them.

The Phase 4 announcement was the first time that we've had them talking about TV shows in addition to movies so we've not really got anything to compare it to as this is really only our second data dump from them which includes the Disney+ side of things.

A lot of what they've talked about in this latest announcement is stuff we already knew about from last year but fleshed out with more information now that it is further in development, beyond that it's mainly shorts and one-off things so hardly a huge amount of new stuff.

The Fox acquisition was always going to result in more content as well so it's not surprising to see them starting to tease that

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk shows announced for Disney+
by Corazon de Leon » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:32 am

It’s just interesting that they’re pulling all of this out just before the initial subscription renewals of Disney Plus start kicking off in the States, is my point.

It is a different strategy for releasing information than the one Marvel have used previously, whether there’s a reason for that or not. I dunno how much of the Fox stuff is relevant because the only Fox IP in there is Fantastic Four, AFAIK everything else belonged to Marvel prior to that acquisition(maybe Kang comes under the Fox deal, not sure there).

Obviously there’s an advertising need to have something in there, but this was a massive data dump, and I‘ve not even looked at the Star Wars stuff yet. It feels off to me.

Image
User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk shows announced for Disney+
by shy guy 64 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:32 pm

ok that what if trailer looked good

Image
User avatar
Yoshimi
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Near Edinburgh

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk shows announced for Disney+
by Yoshimi » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:12 pm

Just watched Kevin Feige's full presentation. Seemed to me like he hinted at Daredevil/Matt Murdoch appearing in She Hulk. :D

I think it's awesome we've go so much Marvel and Star Wars stuff to look forward to!

User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk shows announced for Disney+
by ITSMILNER » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:50 pm

Some really good stuff to look forward to, glad they are branching out into series to tell the stories we might never get in movie form to further flesh out the MCU

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk shows announced for Disney+
by Buffalo » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:56 am

So I was like ‘if they’re doing this multiple dimensions thing then that’s too much for me to swallow, will probably have to stop watching Marvel stuff’.
Then I saw the Falcon & Winter Soldier trailer. I am watching the gooseberry fool out of that fo sho.

User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk shows announced for Disney+
by rinks » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:07 pm

Weird coincidence: I watched Age of Ultron for the first time yesterday (liked it), and I was just watching Channel 4 on the app and saw the WandaVision ad for the first time. It would have meant literally nothing to me if I hadn’t watched that film.

User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk shows announced for Disney+
by rinks » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:38 pm

Started on Phase 3 now. Part-way through Doctor Strange. I figured it was going to be tonally quite different, but I’d love to have witnessed some of the reactions to it upon release.

User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk shows announced for Disney+
by shy guy 64 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:38 pm

rinks wrote:Started on Phase 3 now. Part-way through Doctor Strange. I figured it was going to be tonally quite different, but I’d love to have witnessed some of the reactions to it upon release.


from what i recall everyone said itd be quite the film to watch on drugs

Image

Return to “Stuff”